The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 16 September 2019, 12:11 PM   #1
EWY
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex18206
Looking for an Alternative

I have been searching for an alternative for my GMT 2 for travel.
Functionally, I like my GMT 2, this only issue is that mine is in 18K Gold. I rather not wear a gold watch while traveling. I do have a Breitling Thunderbirds Pluton for travel. However, there are issues with that dual time watch.

The Rolex GMT 2 has a rotating bezel which is really useful. I set the 24-hour hand on the GMT. Rotate the bezel to offset the time zones and I can track the 24 time zones. I never adjust the 24-hour hand. I just adjust the local hour hand forward or backward and rotate the bezel.

Some GMT watches without a rotating bezel would have the same issue with the Explorer 2. That means most would set the 24-hour hand as home time and change the local time for travel. This is fine for travel but at home but at home, the local time and home time is the same.

Some watches have 2 dials (including the Sky Dweller), one for local and one for home. The issue is most of them has one large dial and one small dial. For normal use, most want to set the local time on the large time. So, when I travel, do I swap the local and home time on the dials? I guess I could set the home time to the city that I want to track and let the local time be the home time at home. This arrangement means that I have to change the home time on the watch every time I want to track another time zone. The only exception is the Jaeger-LeCoultre Reverso Duoface Dual Time which has two dials of same size. The issue of this dual dial is that neither has 24-hour indication which does not make it a GMT watch.

There are world time watches that are really the ideal for a quick glance to find the time for different time zones. Quite a few of these watches do not have a date which is a function that most of us use most other than the time. Even a Patek Philippe World Time watch does not have a Date indication.

Ulysse Nardin has some interesting Dual Time or GMT watches. The 2014 Ulysse Nardin GMT Perpetual Manufacture is a marvel. However, it is not available with a bracelet. I rather not wear a leather strap in the summer.

IWC Pilot Worldtimer looks like a good alternative and in fact I think it is probably more useful than a GMT or dual time watch. It has a Date and 24 time zone indications. Same issue, it does not come with a bracelet.

For a while, I was considering the Sky Dweller. However, I would have the same issue of 2 dials watch. I would have to swap time between the small dial and the large dial when I travel or just keep the small dial (Home Time) same the Large dial (Local Time) while at home. Sort of defeating the purpose of having a dual time watch when you are at home which is most of the time. The fluted bezel is also shouting Rolex which is not what I want to do while travelling. The other issue is that the Steel Sky Dweller is not available unless one pays over list. I have never paid over list and I do not intend to.

The Rolex Explorer 2 is really not as useful as the GMT2. The reason when one is not travelling, the home time would be the same as the local time on a non-rotating bezel watch. Yes, the home time could be set to another time zone that you want to track but as soon as you travel, you have to reset the home time back to home.

The Vacheron Constantin Overseas Dual Time (3rd Generations) is really nice. It comes with Steel bracelet, Crocodile strap and a Rubber strap. It also does not have a rotating Bezel.

Actually, after all the research I found that a good replacement for my 18K GMT2 is probably another white metal GMT 2. I just cannot justify to myself that I need another GMT 2.

I do wear my 18K GMT 2 but just not for travel, that sort of defeating the reason that I purchased it in the first place. I think it looks nice but should I trade it in and get another white metal GMT/World Time watch? Are there better alternatives? When do you guys think?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Explorer 2.jpg (111.1 KB, 644 views)
File Type: jpg 326934 WD.jpg (66.4 KB, 642 views)
File Type: jpg IWC Pilot Worldtimer.jpg (82.0 KB, 635 views)
File Type: jpg VC Straps.jpg (173.3 KB, 644 views)
File Type: jpg Ulysse Nardin.jpg (92.1 KB, 643 views)
File Type: jpg GMT2 on Wrist2.jpg (53.7 KB, 634 views)
File Type: jpg Breitling Thunderbirds Pluton m.jpg (41.7 KB, 993 views)
EWY is offline   Reply With Quote