The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 13 January 2019, 12:33 PM   #2161
81sforlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub & ExpII
Investment piece...ha! How about a memory piece?! I absolutely love my Exp II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 13 January 2019, 12:39 PM   #2162
mineral
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kzm40 View Post
Well the four digit EXP 2, were also relatively unloved, compared with Subs and gmts, but now there rarity has enhanced their value!

Hi buddy, do you mean this? :)

1655 is great watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 13 January 2019, 01:12 PM   #2163
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Watch: Explorer
Quote:
Originally Posted by mineral View Post
Hi buddy, do you mean this? :)

1655 is great watch.

Great looking watch!
Pauln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 01:45 PM   #2164
AF_Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub/Polar/OP/BB
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81sforlife View Post

EXACTLY!!! My Sub has been with me everywhere since I bought it nearly 7 years ago.

You have some of the best shots on the forum!
AF_Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 02:41 PM   #2165
81sforlife
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AF_Rob View Post
EXACTLY!!! My Sub has been with me everywhere since I bought it nearly 7 years ago.

You have some of the best shots on the forum!

Thank you I appreciate that!

Old 13 January 2019, 03:21 PM   #2166
myporsche
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex♠Lange
Quote:

myporsche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 08:18 PM   #2167
Manu77
"TRF" Member

I think that a lot of people want to show “hey I have a Rolex” and for that purpose ExpII is not the best option...

My fauvorite Rolex!
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg C90B91D3-605A-452C-892B-A6D09071741C.jpeg (254.6 KB, 803 views)
Manu77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 09:47 PM   #2168
Bobby83
"TRF" Member

The Explorer II Enigma

With my birthday coming up in April looking at the polar 216570, no date sub or the Batman.

Have a two tone sub (black face) and looking for a daily wearer. As much as I like the Batman I think for me personally and what I do for a living the polar or no date sub would be a better everyday piece.

My only concern withe the polar is the all SS bezel and it getting torn up. With the sub the ceramic bezel is more scratch resistant and if it takes a really hard hit and breaks I could just buy a new insert. From looking at pictures and reading through the forum the polar seems to be one of the most if not the most legible Rolex in the lineup. The 216570 polar that is.

On the other hand I already have a sub and want something different. I also want something more under the radar.

Haven’t seen the polar in person yet so that’ll be my first step and with the lack of inventory it might be a while before I can find one to try on. The only positive I see from that is it’ll give me time to see what comes out in March.

Thoughts on my concern about the all SS bezel vs sub no date bezel. I want to hear from explorer owners who wear it everyday.

Thanks in advance

Bobby83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 09:52 PM   #2169
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby83 View Post
With my birthday coming up in April looking at the polar 216570, no date sub or the Batman.

Have a two tone sub (black face) and looking for a daily wearer. As much as I like the Batman I think for me personally and what I do for a living the polar or no date sub would be a better everyday piece.

My only concern withe the polar is the all SS bezel and it getting torn up. With the sub the ceramic bezel is more scratch resistant and if it takes a really hard hit and breaks I could just buy a new insert.

On the other hand I already have a sub and want something different. I also want something more under the radar.

Haven’t seen the polar in person yet so that’ll be my first step and with the lack of inventory it might be a while before I can find one to try on. The only positive I see from that is it’ll give me time to see what comes out in March.

Thoughts on my concern about the all SS bezel vs sub no date bezel. I want to hear from explorer owners who wear it everyday.

Thanks in advance

I've had all three of the watches you're considering, except the 216570 in black not Polar. The 216570 is by far the most comfortable, at least on my wrist. The Glidelock doesn't matter. It has an Easylink which works just fine.

As far as the bezel goes, sure it can scratch. So can the bracelet and sides of the case on it or any other watch. I believe it's cheaper to replace than a ceramic insert in a Submariner or GMT.
Old 13 January 2019, 09:52 PM   #2170
Icehockeyboy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Polar Explorer ii
Quote:

My only concern withe the polar is the all SS bezel and it getting torn up. With the sub the ceramic bezel is more scratch resistant and if it takes a really hard hit and breaks I could just buy a new insert. From looking at pictures and reading through the forum the polar seems to be one of the most if not the most legible Rolex in the lineup. The 216570 polar that is.

Thanks in advance

I’ve had Subs, DJ’s, Daytona, GMT Master, and yet I’m loving my Explorer 11 more than any of the others, and yes, I wear it everyday.

Icehockeyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 January 2019, 10:02 PM   #2171
mailman
TRF Moderator & DATE-JUST41 2024 Patron

Watch: 126610LN
Quote:

Thanks in advance

Here's a pic from a few years back to help enable you a bit
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExpII.JPG (153.4 KB, 759 views)
Old 14 January 2019, 12:20 AM   #2172
jestrada
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060, 216570 Pol
Quote:

Thanks in advance

My collection consists exactly of the three watches you’re choosing from and I love them all!

If you’re the OC type when it comes to scratches, you might get irritated with the Exp2. The bezel does scratch up easily and it’s pretty tough to buff out. It’s a great watch though and one I like wearing more than the subc and the BLNR on a daily basis because it fits rather comfortably on my 7.2” wrist and the white dial and orange hand is a joy to look at. Among the three however, I find the Subc hides scratches best if that helps in your decision. Cheers!

jestrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 12:30 AM   #2173
Chrislec
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:

Probably among the best shots I've seen on this forum.
That's exactly where an Exp2 should be!!
Thanks for sharing
Chrislec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 02:29 AM   #2174
BigBoy17
"TRF" Member

Looks like my watch. Cant decide between white or black face
BigBoy17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 02:52 AM   #2175
MariettaMike
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT II BLRO
I didn't buy my Explorer II for resale value -- I bought it for its function for when I travel across timezones. Of all watches I own, the Explorer II would be one of my last, to sell, watches.
MariettaMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 05:29 AM   #2176
NJpakman
"TRF" Member

Polar Explorer II 42mm is perfect size for me or others who have big wrist
NJpakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 January 2019, 06:43 AM   #2177
Dubshack
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126334
Was getting some alterations done at Nordstrom and the tailor had a black face exp II. First one I’ve seen outside of trying them on myself at an AD. Such a great looking watch in the flesh.

Dubshack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 04:09 AM   #2178
javert34
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570 & 14000M
I bought my Explorer II because it fits me, how I like to approach the world and what I like to do. I enjoy being outdoors and going places I have never been. Since buying it a couple of years ago, it has gone everywhere with me. It has been on my wrist while hiking in the Rockies, cruising in the Caribbean, fishing on the Yukon River and while sitting in a board meeting.

I love the brand and have a deep appreciation for all models that they make. There are some models that I personally wouldn’t buy, not because they are lesser timepieces, but simply because they don’t fit my personal style and what interests me. It is all about what speaks to you. If it speaks to you it is the right watch and what others think of it does not matter.
Old 4 February 2019, 04:58 AM   #2179
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by javert34 View Post
I bought my Explorer II because it fits me, how I like to approach the world and what I like to do. I enjoy being outdoors and going places I have never been. Since buying it a couple of years ago, it has gone everywhere with me. It has been on my wrist while hiking in the Rockies, cruising in the Caribbean, fishing on the Yukon River and while sitting in a board meeting.

I love the brand and have a deep appreciation for all models that they make. There are some models that I personally wouldn’t buy, not because they are lesser timepieces, but simply because they don’t fit my personal style and what interests me. It is all about what speaks to you. If it speaks to you it is the right watch and what others think of it does not matter.
Well said. As a Colorado outdoor person, I agree. It works great with whatever you’re doing.
Old 4 February 2019, 04:59 AM   #2180
10klakes
"TRF" Member

Watch: Collector
The Explorer 2 is always ready for an adventure...

10klakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 05:07 AM   #2181
shakory
"TRF" Member

I have the white 42mm version and love it. I have a 7” wrist and it looks just fine I don’t think 42mm is to big. The functionality and aesthetic of the 216570 is what initially got my attention. I can wear it on any occasion and and to me functions well as a tool. Made in 2011 and no service since, still running flawlessly.

Oh and very versatile too. Leather strap , bracelet , rubber seems to go well with anything.

shakory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 05:13 AM   #2182
81sforlife
"TRF" Member

This pair is longing to get back to Colorado.

Old 4 February 2019, 05:17 AM   #2183
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
This pair is longing to get back to Colorado.

I don’t blame you. Nice pic. I’m looking forward to spring. 60 degrees today and feeling like it’s right around the corner physically and mentally.
Old 4 February 2019, 05:23 AM   #2184
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I love mine too. Its so versatile, even my GF likes to wear it :)
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 February 2019, 05:36 AM   #2185
Vaxe
"TRF" Member

One of the best
Vaxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 12:19 AM   #2186
Atlantic
"TRF" Member

Few environments are too extreme for the Explorer II.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg D64D5638-8DB4-49FA-874C-59C1AEE1D694.jpeg (138.7 KB, 509 views)
Atlantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 01:11 AM   #2187
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
I am a big fan of the Explorer II and mine has been in many travels. Remember that the Air King and Yachtmaster are also considered professional/sport models so I think one of those retains less value.
Old 6 February 2019, 01:15 AM   #2188
Pauln
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantic View Post
Few environments are too extreme for the Explorer II.
Cool ad. I hadn’t seen that one. Thanks for sharing.
Old 6 February 2019, 01:23 AM   #2189
feb29
Banned

I love ExpII especially on Rubber B with orange stripe for matching GMT hand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ExpII Rubber B.jpg (56.9 KB, 830 views)
feb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 February 2019, 01:38 AM   #2190
RTG
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Sky-Dweller
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSJ View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but I thought it might be interesting to revisit.

Of all the SS Sport Rollies out there, the Explorer II (and Explorer, but the focus of this thread is on the II), particularly the black dial, seems to be the least desirable, and hence has the lowest resale value. I bought my slightly used one from my AD at a significant discount from MSRP, and it's fairly common to get TT like discounts on these, which differs from all the other SS Sporties. We see Explorer II's languish in AD's cases and on our For Sale page, often being discounted several times before they sell or are pulled.

The watch is essentially the same as the legacy GMT II's, minus the rotating bezel. It has a sleek and unique profile not seen on other non-Rolex watches, except the Invicta's Rolex-inspired models. It's comfort is among the best of Sports Rollies, and it has the added complication of the 24H hand.

I'd like to see a discussion about TRFers thoughts on why the Explorer II's desirability and resale is lower than that of other Sports models. The longer I own mine, the more I like it, and I can't figure out why it's not more popular
It lacks that the iconic look that most first time Rolex buyers want. Myself included. I thought I wanted a GMT Master II for my first Rolex. I visited the AD, tried on the GMT and Explorer II, and bought the Explorer II. On the wrist it blew the GMT away. For me it has better size, better contrast, bigger hands for faster reading. It became an easy decision.

Personally I love the fact it is less popular. They are not as common, which is a good thing!
RTG is offline   Reply With Quote