The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 9 September 2007, 05:19 PM   #31
Blue Bull
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 747jetdriver View Post
Take it from a Rolex fan that lives in Japan..

Japan is very cheap for both new and used, the supply and demand here is in our favour.

Japanese loves namebrands so the supply is overwhelming..

Just an example..looked at a Submariner w/out date for a friend yesterday, brand new 420.000 yen.

I can very closely match that price in SA,from my usual AD,at my usual discount
Old 9 September 2007, 05:26 PM   #32
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1979 View Post
anyone have some Hongkong "alanfurman like" webshops?
I wouldn't do that.

The BEST way to buy a Rolex in Hong Kong (been there, done that!!) is by first phoning Rolex HQ at Jardine House (look up their number in the local white pages).

They will first ask you in which area you live and then give you a list of at least 4~5 Rolex ADs in your vicinity.

Go to these guys only and try and get the best deal from any one of them.

CASH talks in Hong Kong - PLASTIC is a NO-NO!! Offer CASH and you can make the AD dance to your tune.

Cheers - JJ

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 9 September 2007, 08:48 PM   #33
leopardprey
Banned

Watch: Panerai 233
In Hong Kong, just start at Dicksons (a Rolex and Panerai AD) at the Penninsula Hotel and continue North on Nathan Road. About 20 ADs located just on Nathan Road.

My personal advice to buy a Rolex from Hong Kong:

Chow Tai Fook Jewlers on Nathan Road in Yau Ma Tei, Kowloon. See Mr. Sunny Wong. Good service, great info on Rolex.
Old 9 September 2007, 09:05 PM   #34
Gaijin
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing your back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 747jetdriver View Post
Take it from a Rolex fan that lives in Japan..

Japan is very cheap for both new and used, the supply and demand here is in our favour.

Japanese loves namebrands so the supply is overwhelming..

Just an example..looked at a Submariner w/out date for a friend yesterday, brand new 420.000 yen.

Japan is cheap, but I hear that a SS Daytona can fetch about $15000 American over there. The Japanese are obssessed about them and even have whole magazines devoted to them.
Old 9 September 2007, 11:27 PM   #35
747jetdriver

Correct

Kansai,

You are correct sir, they have multiple magazines devoted to watches and specific brands. Old and new...they have PH.D's in knowledge on this watches...Japanese go to the N't degree when they are fans.

Anyway to answer your question...yes Daytonas and older ones are a HOT item.

Old 10 September 2007, 05:45 PM   #36
LL1979

Icon7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ Irani View Post
I wouldn't do that.

The BEST way to buy a Rolex in Hong Kong (been there, done that!!) is by first phoning Rolex HQ at Jardine House (look up their number in the local white pages).

They will first ask you in which area you live and then give you a list of at least 4~5 Rolex ADs in your vicinity.

Go to these guys only and try and get the best deal from any one of them.

CASH talks in Hong Kong - PLASTIC is a NO-NO!! Offer CASH and you can make the AD dance to your tune.

Cheers - JJ
Thnx JJ but ain 't going to hong kong so it rather would be a greymarket dealer in the Netherlads or tax free the airport overhere
Old 10 September 2007, 05:47 PM   #37
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LL1979 View Post
Thnx JJ but ain 't going to hong kong so it rather would be a greymarket dealer in the Netherlads or tax free the airport overhere
Good luck on your final purchase, my friend!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 13 September 2007, 07:56 AM   #38
Daniel Swartz

I was just in London and stopped by an AD on Bond Street and was shocked to see that their prices were lower than those in the U.S. (even from a place like Alan Furman).

Given the weak dollar, I couldn't believe this... In LONDON? The most expensive city in the world (well, close...).

Strange, no?
Old 13 September 2007, 06:01 PM   #39
Tombstone
"TRF" Member

Watch: LV Sub and others
Last time I was in Hong Kong I was so young (16) the best I could do was a Seiko.
Little did I know that 2 years later I would have a Rolex.
Old 13 April 2012, 02:22 PM   #40
SWFL
"TRF" Member

Hi All, Just curious if things remain the same as for the cheapest country to buy a rolex bing JP.
Old 13 April 2012, 07:09 PM   #41
Wristmaster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Watching U
The case for me is always like, when i have save up the amount of money needed for my next rolex, i just go grab it at the nearest AD that have it in stock. A day without rolex, is a day wasted. Call me sentimental, but i dont treat my watch as a bargain item.
Old 5 May 2012, 06:27 AM   #42
enzoweb
"TRF" Member

I've just come back from Europe and visited Rolex dealers at every stop to try and convince the mrs to buy a Milguass (green glass).
Since I am a non-EU resident I'd get the tax back. The cheapest place I found was Budapest, but not by much; I also got quotes from Austria, Croatia and France. Didn't visit Switzerland.

The watch was around 5800 Euro after tax, which is about $1500 AUD cheaper than the last time I checked in Aus.

However, this price was pretty close to what they were all offering, only a hundred or so Euro difference

Then there's the fluctuation in exchange rate.
Old 5 May 2012, 06:31 AM   #43
enzoweb
"TRF" Member

By the way, what are the rules for getting it through customs? If I buy one OS and declare it, do I automatically get charged the duty? If so, it would make sense to forget I was wearing it and hope for the best.
Old 5 May 2012, 07:04 AM   #44
Sam Philip
Banned

I think Singapore is the cheapest place to buy a rolex watch. You can get a good discount for all models except for SS Daytona where you have to pay a premium price. Can claim tax from the airport.
UK duty free (Heathrow airport) is cheaper than G.C.C countries. However Heathrow airport does not have SS models, they only have TT or fully gold models.
If you buy inside UK some AD's would give a small discount on SS models and many would give a reasonable discount on TT and fully gold models and if you take the watch out of the UK you can claim the VAT as well
Old 5 May 2012, 07:23 AM   #45
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL View Post
Hi All, Just curious if things remain the same as for the cheapest country to buy a rolex bing JP.
Congrats for reviving a 5-year old thread. Nice variation on "What is the average discount I should expect at an AD."
Old 5 May 2012, 07:55 AM   #46
zeuloa
"TRF" Member

Watch: SEA-DWELLER
Quote:
Originally Posted by enzoweb View Post
By the way, what are the rules for getting it through customs? If I buy one OS and declare it, do I automatically get charged the duty? If so, it would make sense to forget I was wearing it and hope for the best.
As far as I know you can wear one Rolex into the US without any problems and no need to declare. Bring more than one and it's a no no for RUSA. Not sure if this applies to you as I can't see what part of the world you're in.
Old 5 May 2012, 02:03 PM   #47
grimjim
Banned

In the last 4 years ive been to over 20 countries and none of them have been cheaper than the UK ,many of the airport dealers have been dearer even with the tax off
Old 5 May 2012, 09:02 PM   #48
s.al-anizi
"TRF" Member

Cheapest I have found so far is Bahrain,

last week's price of the 116610LV was $8000 after discount at the Boutique
Old 5 May 2012, 09:04 PM   #49
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
This thread is 5 years old time to put it to rest and Rolex prices are mainly governed by the exchange rate tax of any country. .

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Closed Thread