The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2 January 2013, 12:22 AM   #31
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
I don't know. But I do know a guy over in London who has an amazing PP collection, Rolex too. About a year ago he started getting into GS's, big time. He called to tell me and this what he said. " Art, if they took the GS off the dial and put Patek Philippe, they could increase the price 5 times and sell them, they are that good."
Old 2 January 2013, 12:51 AM   #32
Rags
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 16233,16610,214270
Seiko is a great watch company but rolex markets better..

114300 Oyster Perpetual
76200 Tudor Date+Day
Old 2 January 2013, 12:58 AM   #33
RolexDivers
Banned

Even if the GS had better quality than a ROLEX, the GS will always have the SEIKO Stigma attached to it, especially when the price is as high as a ROLEX.
Old 2 January 2013, 01:10 AM   #34
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
don't have one but my impression is yes
Old 2 January 2013, 01:20 AM   #35
Mickey®
Banned

Watch: Swiss Made
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furbo View Post
The text (milgauss) is not centered.
Ouch.
That might drive me crazy
Old 2 January 2013, 01:22 AM   #36
Mickey®
Banned

Don't forget about resale...
Who wins there?
I know my answer.
Old 2 January 2013, 01:25 AM   #37
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags View Post
Seiko is a great watch company but rolex markets better..
I disagree. It's not so much marketing that puts Rolex ahead of Seiko in the high end market. Seiko did it to themselves.

You can't make a $75 watch and an $7500 watch under the same name. Thats why Toyota created Lexus and Nissan created Infinity.
Old 2 January 2013, 01:27 AM   #38
esm
"TRF" Member

Watch: this, bro...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
He called to tell me and this what he said. " Art, if they took the GS off the dial and put Patek Philippe, they could increase the price 5 times and sell them, they are that good."
Doubt it. Even though a GS can be "that good" it still won't have the PP seal for the movement. It is purely a personal statement.
Old 2 January 2013, 01:28 AM   #39
balboa73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post
I disagree. It's not so much marketing that puts Rolex ahead of Seiko in the high end market. Seiko did it to themselves.

You can't make a $75 watch and an $7500 watch under the same name. Thats why Toyota created Lexus and Nissan created Infinity.
Mercedes does it?. Mercedes have low end models that run $30000.00 and up
Old 2 January 2013, 01:31 AM   #40
RolexDivers
Banned

Everything sells if priced right. I wonder how difficult is it to sell a GS as compared to a SUB?
Old 2 January 2013, 01:32 AM   #41
Nodelicious
"TRF" Member

Thanks for all the helpful feedback - I'm going to consider a gs for my collection.
Old 2 January 2013, 01:33 AM   #42
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Well at the moment I don't own a Seiko Grand but been looking for a vintage one for quite some time.And IMHO the Seiko Grand can match or surpass all of the Swiss mass produced watches even Rolex. But what they cannot match is the brand name nothing more or less, as today with the stereo brand conscious types many today don't wear the watch they just wear the brand..The Seiko Grand are fantastic watches and Grand Seikos are in a completely different league to the standard Seiko's, and should not be spoken about in the same breath. Grand Seikos are hand made and the vintage ones wiped the floor with the major Swiss brands for accuracy before today's watered down COSC was formed in 1973.

Now before the Swiss COSC was started they used to have Observatory testing and competitions to a much higher standard than todays Swiss COSC. And during the entire 23 years of testing, 5093 wristwatches were submitted for certification, and only 3253 were passed, about 64%, today around 94% pass the COSC test first time a big difference now truth be told today with careful regulation most any movement could pass todays test.Back in the 1960-70s just a few manufacturers participated, and only Omega and Patek did so every year. The other brands. were: Rolex, Zenith, Longines, Movado, Vacheron & Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, Cyma and Favre-Leuba, along with numerous independent professional watchmakers.

That was until the Seiko Grand come on the scene and started to wipe the floor with the Swiss mechanical watch industry.Now in those days only 2 brands in the + 23 years of the competitions submitted movements of only serial production for retail sale(Seiko and GP).All others were specially made movements just for the competition test and not then for retail sale.

Now Seiko first entered the competition,with other watches from all over the world,including most of the Swiss high end brands.But then for a much higher standard than todays COSC,the Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard (+/- 2/3 seconds/day) Out of many watches submitted only two passed this test a Seiko Grand just a production model, and Giraud Peregaux this time a specially build for the test model.And in the late 1960s there were only two companies, who could sell watches, passed astronomical observatory authorisation Chronometer in those days. Seiko and Giraud Peregaux.As the Japanese had dominated the tests in the late 1960s and the two preceding events, in 1972 many of Swiss watch manufacturers demanded the end of the observatory competitions,and it was ended in 1973,now thats when the Swiss COSC was founded but run by the Swiss for the Swiss brands only.

Check out the regulator adjuster on this one! and movement finish. That's real quality and there own movement test, to a much higher spec than the Swiss COSC

Thanks again for the indepth insight and historical lesson Peter.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Old 2 January 2013, 01:44 AM   #43
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by esm View Post
Doubt it. Even though a GS can be "that good" it still won't have the PP seal for the movement. It is purely a personal statement.
From a guy who owns 90 PP's.
Old 2 January 2013, 01:53 AM   #44
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RolexDivers View Post
Even if the GS had better quality than a ROLEX, the GS will always have the SEIKO Stigma attached to it, especially when the price is as high as a ROLEX.
Afraid any stigma with Seiko and the Seiko grand is only in that persons head.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 2 January 2013, 01:55 AM   #45
Mickey®
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr-nyc View Post

I agree they have made their life hard making less than $75 watches and $7500 watches. In my opinion we don't count...we would appreciate a GS but the average Joe given the option between a 8k GS or a GMTIIC will pick the Rolex I bet...
Old 2 January 2013, 01:57 AM   #46
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
GS all day, every day. Rolex is nice, but GS's finishing is much higher.

The only thing holding me back from purchasing a GS is the fact that they don't have a US based service center. If something goes wrong with your GS, it's getting sent all the way back to japan. Nein Danke.
Old 2 January 2013, 02:01 AM   #47
The French Dude
"TRF" Member

I never saw a GS and I'd like to. Because I read numerous thread on European Forums telling that GS is a really good brand. Some people say better than Rolex, some disagree...
It apear that Seiko, I mean the name "Seiko" does not inspire good quality watches due to the cheaper watches from the brand.
Maybe it not the same tendency all around the world...
Old 2 January 2013, 02:23 AM   #48
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by The French Dude View Post
I never saw a GS and I'd like to. Because I read numerous thread on European Forums telling that GS is a really good brand. Some people say better than Rolex, some disagree...
It apear that Seiko, I mean the name "Seiko" does not inspire good quality watches due to the cheaper watches from the brand.
Maybe it not the same tendency all around the world...
The Hi beat is very accurate like all the high end Seiko Grand and the Credor range,but still little known outside Japan. .But afraid today many just wear a brand and see Seiko as a lesser brand which its definitely not.And IMHO its a better watch and movement than many of the high end Swiss mass produced watches today.Now the Seiko Grand and Credor range they are hand built to a very high standard,but today many have no idea about movements in general some just wear a brand name.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 2 January 2013, 02:28 AM   #49
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Seiko or Grand Seiko they are great watches the GS on everything except resale is in par with Rolex. The GS spring drive is maybe a short step ahead of Rolex.
Old 2 January 2013, 02:36 AM   #50
Mickey®
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
GS all day, every day. Rolex is nice, but GS's finishing is much higher.

The only thing holding me back from purchasing a GS is the fact that they don't have a US based service center. If something goes wrong with your GS, it's getting sent all the way back to japan. Nein Danke.

Do I read this as you don't own a GS but you'd buy one over Rolex "all day, everyday"?

Old 2 January 2013, 02:40 AM   #51
Frogman4me
Banned

Hate to say this but if we are talking build quality then without question Grand Seiko is far superior than a Rolex. It's not even close, do some research or even better own one and see for yourself.
Old 2 January 2013, 02:43 AM   #52
alanc
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114270 16710B
After reading this thread, I did some research on the GS brand. Their Spring Drive seems incredible, and the watches are very attractive. The only downside (which I admit is a significant one) seems to be that they are difficult to get serviced.

Notwithstanding that, I think I'll join Padi and start stalking for a pre-owned one. This could be my next watch.
Old 2 January 2013, 02:48 AM   #53
ecsub44
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
Do I read this as you don't own a GS but you'd buy one over Rolex "all day, everyday"?

Commissioner of WEIRD POLICE , Badge # ecsub44
Old 2 January 2013, 02:49 AM   #54
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanc View Post
After reading this thread, I did some research on the GS brand. Their Spring Drive seems incredible, and the watches are very attractive. The only downside (which I admit is a significant one) seems to be that they are difficult to get serviced.

Notwithstanding that, I think I'll join Padi and start stalking for a pre-owned one. This could be my next watch.
Afraid today vintage GS are very difficult to find and getting rarer than hens teeth, I missed one in Singapore about ten years ago a big mistake on my part.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 2 January 2013, 02:54 AM   #55
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa73 View Post
Mercedes does it?. Mercedes have low end models that run $30000.00 and up
Yes, Mercedes in the US start at $35k but that is not accessible to a large portion of the population. Toyota have cars starting at $14k which is.

Toyota would not be as successful selling their high end cars under the Toyota badge compared to Lexus
Old 2 January 2013, 02:56 AM   #56
Nodelicious
"TRF" Member

Rolex and Grand Seiko build ultra high quality products. Rolex seems to have great talent inventing amazing tool watches. I'm not knowledgable enough to state which engine (movement) uses more durable and higher quality metals. I also don't know where gs sources their metals.

Cool innovations by Rolex according to Wikipedia:

Among the company's innovations are:

The first waterproof wristwatch "Oyster", 1926

The first wristwatch with an automatically changing date on the dial (Rolex Datejust ref.4467, 1945)[6]

The first wristwatch case waterproof to 100 m (330 ft) (Rolex Oyster Perpetual Submariner ref.6204, 1953)

The first wristwatch to show two time zones at once (Rolex GMT Master ref.6542, 1954)

The first wristwatch with an automatically changing day and date on the dial (Rolex Day-Date, 1956)[12][better source needed]

The first watchmaker to earn chronometer certification for a wristwatch[5]

Rolex's founder opened a foundation that supports meaningful causes - Rolex helps support this.

Seiko's movements and many of their watches are stunning examples of movement innovation, creativity and beauty. Spring Drive!

Would be nice to have one of each in a collection.
Old 2 January 2013, 02:58 AM   #57
Nodelicious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Afraid today vintage GS are very difficult to find and getting rarer than hens teeth, I missed one in Singapore about ten years ago a big mistake on my part.
Hey padi I think there's a vintage gs over at watchyouseek for sale - not in perfect shape but price seems strong at 850 i think.
Old 2 January 2013, 03:06 AM   #58
mruhland31
"TRF" Member

Great post

Great post....fun read.thank you!
Quote:
Well at the moment I don't own a Seiko Grand but been looking for a vintage one for quite some time.And IMHO the Seiko Grand can match or surpass all of the Swiss mass produced watches even Rolex. But what they cannot match is the brand name nothing more or less, as today with the stereo brand conscious types many today don't wear the watch they just wear the brand..The Seiko Grand are fantastic watches and Grand Seikos are in a completely different league to the standard Seiko's, and should not be spoken about in the same breath. Grand Seikos are hand made and the vintage ones wiped the floor with the major Swiss brands for accuracy before today's watered down COSC was formed in 1973.

Now before the Swiss COSC was started they used to have Observatory testing and competitions to a much higher standard than todays Swiss COSC. And during the entire 23 years of testing, 5093 wristwatches were submitted for certification, and only 3253 were passed, about 64%, today around 94% pass the COSC test first time a big difference now truth be told today with careful regulation most any movement could pass todays test.Back in the 1960-70s just a few manufacturers participated, and only Omega and Patek did so every year. The other brands. were: Rolex, Zenith, Longines, Movado, Vacheron & Constantin, Ulysse Nardin, Cyma and Favre-Leuba, along with numerous independent professional watchmakers.

That was until the Seiko Grand come on the scene and started to wipe the floor with the Swiss mechanical watch industry.Now in those days only 2 brands in the + 23 years of the competitions submitted movements of only serial production for retail sale(Seiko and GP).All others were specially made movements just for the competition test and not then for retail sale.

Now Seiko first entered the competition,with other watches from all over the world,including most of the Swiss high end brands.But then for a much higher standard than todays COSC,the Astronomical Observatory Authorisation Chronometer Standard (+/- 2/3 seconds/day) Out of many watches submitted only two passed this test a Seiko Grand just a production model, and Giraud Peregaux this time a specially build for the test model.And in the late 1960s there were only two companies, who could sell watches, passed astronomical observatory authorisation Chronometer in those days. Seiko and Giraud Peregaux.As the Japanese had dominated the tests in the late 1960s and the two preceding events, in 1972 many of Swiss watch manufacturers demanded the end of the observatory competitions,and it was ended in 1973,now thats when the Swiss COSC was founded but run by the Swiss for the Swiss brands only.

Check out the regulator adjuster on this one! and movement finish. That's real quality and there own movement test, to a much higher spec than the Swiss COSC

Old 2 January 2013, 03:12 AM   #59
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsio View Post
By contrast Rolex managed to sell a pile of white Milgauss' into the market with defectively printed dial text... /IMG_2412.jpg[/IMG]
That is a brutal 'oversight' in production.
Old 2 January 2013, 03:17 AM   #60
greekbum
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex GMT 16750
There is a reason I've started to collect vintage seiko divers.....Rolex now IMHO is a jewelry brand name with the current pricing. $for$ tool watch hands down the seiko is the best but Rolex has the recognition. For a couple of hundred you can buy a seiko monster. It's an awesome watch for the money.

Original Owner ROLEX 16750 GMT Daily Wearer For Over 13,000 Days And Counting
Closed Thread