The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 2 January 2013, 09:53 AM   #91
DoxaDavid
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by handsfull View Post
GS all day, every day. Rolex is nice, but GS's finishing is much higher.

The only thing holding me back from purchasing a GS is the fact that they don't have a US based service center. If something goes wrong with your GS, it's getting sent all the way back to japan. Nein Danke.
Which may be true but their turnaround time and quality of service is exceptionally good. Send your Rolex or Omega in for service and it is gone for months. Seiko on average will get your watch back in a matter of a few weeks.

I would gladly pay the extra postage!

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices have very few virtues. " Abraham Lincoln 1809-1865
Old 2 January 2013, 10:08 AM   #92
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Only difference is the name on the dial.
True - but in luxury goods the name is everything. When you're going upmarket as Seiko did with the GS, they needed better differentiatiation.

Toyota knew that and created Lexus.

When you're going downmarket you can just introduce a cheaper model line.

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 2 January 2013, 10:36 AM   #93
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
To deviate only slightly, I own a pristine 1967 Sieko Lord Marvel 36000 bph with the 5740C 23 Jewel Manual Wind movement that served as a precursor to the 45XX Series Grand Seiko line. It keeps incredible time when still, to +/- 1 sec per day, and still great time when worn for a full day at +/- 4 sec per day.

On the outside, the case finish is a study in simplicity and the dial quality with applied markers and very clean markings make this a really understated top runner. I equate it to the Rolex Explorer I in that regard.

The second hand sweep is way more noticeably smooth than my 28800 bph Rolex 3135. A lot smoother.

No one, even WIS's, have ever commented on it. I am sure it is because they see 'Seiko' on the dial and dismiss it's intrinsic quality. Fine with me. I find myself staring at it about as much as I do with my 36 mm DJ.

I attach a pic of the movement from Google Images - typical Seiko it is an open and easy to service movement .

I can only imagine the Grand Seiko line takes this to the next level.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5740C Movement.JPG (182.5 KB, 758 views)
Old 2 January 2013, 11:02 AM   #94
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brenngun View Post
Renato, your comment actually supports Chuck's assertion. His point was Rolex is better at marketing than Seiko. Your comment is they didn't understand how they should bring the GS line to market i.e. under a new banner like Toyota/Lexus which ultimately makes them worse at marketing than Rolex.
Marketing comes in after an executive level decision is made to go in a particular direction. So, I still disagree. It's not the marketing department that decided to sell luxury watches under the same name.
Old 2 January 2013, 11:03 AM   #95
rr-nyc
Liar & Ratbag

Watch: Rolex Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Ferguson View Post
There is another distinct difference and that is that Mercedes Benz was a high end car company that in recent years went down market to attract entry level buyers and, as noted, their least expensive car still is not cheap. Seiko on the other hand, is traditionally a low end watch company that has gone up market. Perhaps had they opened a Swiss facility to build these watches and branded them differently, the perception may be quite different.
I completely agree
Old 2 January 2013, 11:28 AM   #96
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey® View Post
Do I read this as you don't own a GS but you'd buy one over Rolex "all day, everyday"?

Super simple. The title of the thread is "Is the build quality of GS greater than Rolex?" - my response = (Yes)....All day, everyday. Dollar per dollar, Rolex is below GS standards in finishing and build quality.

Do I currently own a GS? No, but I have owned 2 in the past along with one MarineMaster 300 (with undecorated 8L35 GS movement). I adjusted the MM300 myself to +-0 per day, and can tell you that the movement is very impressive....it's the only watch I've owned that spec'd out on the timegraph as having NO POSITIONAL variance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecsub44 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoxaDavid View Post
Which may be true but their turnaround time and quality of service is exceptionally good. Send your Rolex or Omega in for service and it is gone for months. Seiko on average will get your watch back in a matter of a few weeks.

I would gladly pay the extra postage!

Agreed. I just get the willy's sending 5K valued package's to foreign countries.
Old 2 January 2013, 11:35 AM   #97
handsfull
"TRF" Member

Watch: youlookinat?
Quote:
Originally Posted by avusblue View Post
....to the educated, mature, WIS -- a collector who has been around the block and really knows his stuff -- I believe the Grand Seiko watches are deserving of higher respect, for that very reason.
I concur. Excellence deserves respect, regardless of the name that's tattoo'd on it.
Old 2 January 2013, 11:52 AM   #98
becky
"TRF" Member

In terms of built quality, yes GS would be better.

Brand recognition, no at the moment.
Old 2 January 2013, 12:16 PM   #99
c.rod
"TRF" Member

the only hard part for me would be the lack of reputation killing resale....not that i wouldnt buy a watch purely because i liked it. it just helps me make decisions when im looking for a new watch. i guess this statement holds true for a lot of brands on the used market...
frank muller, graham etc.....
Old 2 January 2013, 01:13 PM   #100
kmleffler
"TRF" Member

Watch: GS SD GMT
I have owned Rolex watches since 1969 and I am currently the proud owner of a Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT. The build quality and the accuracy of a GS Spring Drive is unbelievable, +5 sec a month. The finish on the GS is flawless. By the way, the GS Spring Drive GMT cost $2,500 less than a Rolex GMT.
Old 2 January 2013, 01:16 PM   #101
Nodelicious
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmleffler View Post
I have owned Rolex watches since 1969 and I am currently the proud owner of a Grand Seiko Spring Drive GMT. The build quality and the accuracy of a GS Spring Drive is unbelievable, +5 sec a month. The finish on the GS is flawless. By the way, the GS Spring Drive GMT cost $2,500 less than a Rolex GMT.
Do you still own any Rolex watches and will you buy another now that you know there is better product for the money?
Old 2 January 2013, 01:22 PM   #102
Dr. Robert
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 1655
They are both of equal build quality.....both beautiful to look at & to handle, fit & finish, precision of a Grand Seiko is excellent. If you're in L.A. check them out at Feldmar's.
Old 2 January 2013, 01:35 PM   #103
Shade
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of 'em..
The Grand Seiko is an amazingly high quality watch. Beaten only by brand and marketing hype.

http://rolexforums.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=33241&dateline=128831  6747

Plus PAM 233, 232, 249 & PAM 417.
Old 2 January 2013, 04:47 PM   #104
bgbg13
"TRF" Member

Are these watches built like tanks as Rolex watches are? Could these take the beating and survive the same elements testing Rolex has?
To me that's just as important to build quality as the movement or accuracy is.
Old 2 January 2013, 05:12 PM   #105
wuyeah
"TRF" Member

I have no doubt GS quality is better. BUT c'on, you are buying a ROLEX. Decision is not purely made on quality.
Old 2 January 2013, 05:28 PM   #106
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
error dials are Rolex's forte..
Old 2 January 2013, 05:47 PM   #107
dsio
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680 '79
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgbg13 View Post
Are these watches built like tanks as Rolex watches are? Could these take the beating and survive the same elements testing Rolex has?
To me that's just as important to build quality as the movement or accuracy is.
Yeap, as can most ETAs.
-- Rolex Submariner 1680 "Ghost" '79 --
-- Rolex SS Daytona 116520 '04 --
Old 2 January 2013, 06:09 PM   #108
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Based on the pics on this thread, mvmnt and build quality aside, and purely on looks, the GS is not a patch on the Submariner.
Old 2 January 2013, 08:13 PM   #109
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aksing View Post
Based on the pics on this thread, mvmnt and build quality aside, and purely on looks, the GS is not a patch on the Submariner.
Thats simply down to a completely different style of watch just like a DJ you cannot compare that to a Sub.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade View Post
The Grand Seiko is an amazingly high quality watch. Beaten only by brand and marketing hype.
Have to agree in this marketing or [brain washing age] from the cradle now we have designer this and that.And today just the brand is what many today wear even the kids today demand the latest designer brand, when many brands of equal or better in most cases quality are shunned just because of the name.Until the Internet Watches like the Grand Seiko and Credor range were unknown outside Japan and a few other Asian countries.But even the high street Seiko range are big bangs for the money including there mechanical dive watches modern and vintage.But if you are the type that just wear a brand then perhaps GS is not for you.But thats a shame as you will not find a better built watch for the money paid.Myself first got involved with mechanical watches a very very long time ago it was a Swiss made Lucerne bought by my Grandfather .But today I can appreciated all the brands of mechanical watches and respect them all for what is quite a remarkable machine telling the time on ones wrist

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 2 January 2013, 08:16 PM   #110
R.J.
"TRF" Member

Watch: milgaus gv
I have a G.S. Hi-Beat to go with my Swiss watches and have to say the finish on the G.S. puts the Swiss to shame. My Rolex would be stolen long before the Seiko because of their names. Everyone thinking the Seiko as crap which makes it a great bordello watch. People who know quality appreciate the Grand Seiko.
Old 2 January 2013, 08:30 PM   #111
Furbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
I'd never have grand Seiko, grand Timex, grand Swatch... it just doesn't sound right.

I did wear Seiko 5 while in school and 6 months army service. Still have it. Worked great all those years.

But you don't get Rolex just because it works great.. most of the watches do..

Maybe we like them just because they are expensive. So maybe Seiko should just raise prices. :)
Old 2 January 2013, 10:22 PM   #112
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
One more thing to add - Seiko is a catch-all brand name for watches built throughout the world. Within Seiko, the small factory where the current line of Credor and Grand Seikos are built is entirely different from the rest of their watch-making empire. After the Japanese Earthquakes, they actually risked their lives by going into a half-collapsed building just to extract a bunch of cases from a series of special "130th Anniversary" G watches that were mid-production before razing the whole place - a testament to the fact that they are serious watchmakers at that location.
Old 2 January 2013, 11:03 PM   #113
gwozhog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa73 View Post
It makes me sad to see people only buy watches because of perceived value
I don't see the grand Seiko going up 8 percent every year in price. Also when you die leave one of your children a Seiko and leave the other one a rolex. I have a feeling there is a possibility one of them might end up in the trash. If I'm buying a Seiko it will be a 200 dollar quartz one that will tell better time than the grand Seiko automatic. Sorry but in the end its just a Seiko and you just dropped rolex money on it.
Old 2 January 2013, 11:13 PM   #114
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
I don't see the grand Seiko going up 8 percent every year in price. Also when you die leave one of your children a Seiko and leave the other one a rolex. I have a feeling there is a possibility one of them might end up in the trash. If I'm buying a Seiko it will be a 200 dollar quartz one that will tell better time than the grand Seiko automatic. Sorry but in the end its just a Seiko and you just dropped rolex money on it.
Well you could say the same with any cheap quartz watch it will tell the time better than any Rolex mechanical. And its just not a Seiko its a Seiko Grand or Credor a totally different product to the high street Seiko, much like Tudor and Rolex.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
Old 2 January 2013, 11:14 PM   #115
balboa73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwozhog View Post
I don't see the grand Seiko going up 8 percent every year in price. Also when you die leave one of your children a Seiko and leave the other one a rolex. I have a feeling there is a possibility one of them might end up in the trash. If I'm buying a Seiko it will be a 200 quartz that will tell better time than the grand Seiko automatic. Sorry but in the end its just a Seiko and you just dropped rolex money on it.
GS had a price increase effective jan 1 2013. My son will know exactly what a GS is as I will educate him. A GS 'spring drive' DJ2 equivalent is now $5800 US as opposed to Rolex DJ2 SS price of $7150 US AND the GS is the 'better' watch quality wise. By the time my child is an adult GS may very well be 'established' in the USA as remember it's only had 2 years here. People will always go for the 'name brand' and thats understandable. Any person worthy of the WIS title knows and understands GS.
Old 2 January 2013, 11:25 PM   #116
Roma315
"TRF" Member

Watch: The clock
Don't really see the big deal about GS it just doesn't do it for me IMHO Grand Seiko
Old 3 January 2013, 12:16 AM   #117
dpkong
"TRF" Member

Watch: it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by balboa73 View Post
Mercedes does it?. Mercedes have low end models that run $30000.00 and up
It's quite different if you start with a strong brand image and start selling low-cost economy models.

Seiko started with a low-cost image and is now trying to sell the Grand Seiko and Credor as high-end Seiko. The consumer will always think of the brand name and not the build quality.

I've read reviews on GS by owners and it's supposedly on a much higher level than Rolex.
Old 3 January 2013, 12:22 AM   #118
floater156
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
GS, Rolex, Omega, JLC, AP, etc. They all make high quality watches. I'll most likely continue to buy Rolex because I like its brand & styling the best, while staying in my price range.
Old 3 January 2013, 01:14 AM   #119
Frogman4me
Banned

Just to make this clear as reading some post it's seems there is some confusion. Grand Seiko has been out for over 50 years and they have made high standard luxury watches since day one. It's not that seiko is trying to upgrade their image all of a sudden, it's just now they are allowing the rest of the world to enjoy their best kept secret.

http://www.grand-seiko.com/
Old 3 January 2013, 01:36 AM   #120
balboa73
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frogman4me View Post
Just to make this clear as reading some post it's seems there is some confusion. Grand Seiko has been out for over 50 years and they have made high standard luxury watches since day one. It's not that seiko is trying to upgrade their image all of a sudden, it's just now they are allowing the rest of the world to enjoy their best kept secret.

http://www.grand-seiko.com/
correct

I got that feeling as well
Closed Thread