The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 11 November 2018, 01:12 PM   #1
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

26020 Themes movement questions

Ok

I bought this from a respected dealer in the Atlanta market. I was just a little worried because I did not have it inspected before buying. This is my first AP and I don't have a lot of experience with them.

I pulled the case back. There is a disk under the case back. It has 4 very small screws holding it down. I've tried to upload a pic. The upload manage says my photo is to big. I set the phone on it's smallest Meg setting

I'm kinda freaking out. I just paid 13k for this thing and I'm thinking rep!

Thanks

Thanks
Jefferson87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 01:21 PM   #2
Burlington
"TRF" Member

You could try cropping the photo down or using tapatalk to post the photo as without that it’s hard to tell.

So you’ve unscrewed the caseback yourself ?

By disc, are you talking about the rotor ?

If the seller is reputable then why do think it may be non genuine ?

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 01:25 PM   #3
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burlington View Post
You could try cropping the photo down or using tapatalk to post the photo as without that it’s hard to tell.

So you’ve unscrewed the caseback yourself ?

By disc, are you talking about the rotor ?

If the seller is reputable then why do think it may be non genuine ?
Case back is off. No rotor visible just a solid metal disk under the case back.

As far as the dealer. I'm not sure all of a sudden.

As far as the pictures. Im a teck idiot. I've down loaded several resizing apps. All of them the forum says are incorrect files. I don't know what Tapatalk is. Crazy I know but I have my phone camera on it's lowest setting.
Old 11 November 2018, 01:40 PM   #4
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Ok. How do I post a pic on here. I've set my camera at 3.1mp. I've continue cropped that photo down and still won't load. Any suggestions?
Old 11 November 2018, 02:02 PM   #5
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

I removed the disk. There is what appears to be a 2326 under it. Which I cant find the info to tell if it's the correct movement for the watch. I guess I'll send it off to have it inspected and see. I know I can't send it to AP since if it is fake I won't have anything to go back on the dealer with.

This kinda sucks I'm not sure why I don't trust it, but I don't
Old 11 November 2018, 02:15 PM   #6
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Tapatalk is an app - it’s the best way to post photos which will help

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 11 November 2018, 02:41 PM   #7
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Let me try this. This is the disk and the movement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Old 11 November 2018, 03:10 PM   #8
APAP
"TRF" Member

Looks fake to me.
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 03:13 PM   #9
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAP View Post
Looks fake to me.
What brings you to that conclusion? I'm trying to figure out what to do here. It came with box and papers, but dammit I'm getting worried.
Old 11 November 2018, 03:57 PM   #10
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/JLC/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefferson87 View Post
What brings you to that conclusion? I'm trying to figure out what to do here. It came with box and papers, but dammit I'm getting worried.

Unfortunately, no one here who is capable of determining whether it’s real or fake from the pictures will tell you what is wrong or right on your watch. Too many counterfeiters check forums like this to try to improve their fakes. You should check with AP or return it to the seller, if you have concerns.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 04:24 PM   #11
mojomomo
"TRF" Member

Well, the movememt looks off. The rotor is is dead giveaway. The ROO is powered by calibre 3126/3840, see here:

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...-oak-offshores

There are a couple of variations on AP's website for the rotor which I've uploaded, I think which version is used is linked to specific editions, however the base calibre is the one with the gold weight.
Attached Images
File Type: png 59_3126-3840_back.png (62.2 KB, 180 views)
File Type: png 4447f2539b9408d4fc212979f3348110.png (20.8 KB, 183 views)
mojomomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 04:45 PM   #12
Tomas Eriksson
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15707CE
It’s fake, no hesitations. The owner knows it, why else would he opened it...
Old 11 November 2018, 05:27 PM   #13
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
I love how people just go and yell fake, its not real without doing an research...

What you have under the hood is the JLC 889 with Magentic shield and a dubois depraz chrono module. Its the movement used by AP from the start of the offshores in mid 1990s until mid 2000s.

If you bought an early themes from a reputable dealer, then its the versions based upon the 25721 movements. Here is a link to the movement:

https://watchbase.com/audemars-pigue...r/ap-2226-2840

I would just go to AP and get an extract for the watch, its fast and costs about 200-300$. But yeah, the movement is real and you should be away that earlier offshores are amagnetic with that funny disk which is the magnetic shielding
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 05:28 PM   #14
karasus
"TRF" Member

25721 is the original offshore with similar movements
Old 11 November 2018, 05:35 PM   #15
karasus
"TRF" Member

You can find more details on watch wiki:

Its the jlc base 889
Old 11 November 2018, 06:32 PM   #16
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Let me try this. This is the disk and the movement.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Glad you got it to work in the end with the photos. No doubt through the day you will gain more opinions but due to the age then sending to AP may be the only way to be 100% sure.

Certainly the older offshore engines look very different to today’s versions. But the movement itself does look like it could have come from AP back then based on others I’ve seen on here and online of a similar age. The engraved gold rotor is for example a newer addition.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 11 November 2018, 06:43 PM   #17
karasus
"TRF" Member

They had one for sale on watchbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpA3zKZbNb0

First few minutes, they talk about the JLC base 889 in the watch. The in house movements where introduced later in 2004/2005 so yeah older models will have a JLC movement instead of the engraved gold rotor version.

Btw since you opened the watch, you should take it for service with AP as soon as possible. You definately need to get the water resistance checked by them before you attempt to swim with it and check the chrono module doesn't need servicing.
Old 11 November 2018, 08:34 PM   #18
APAP
"TRF" Member

No wonder they went out of their way to hide the movement with 2 plates of steel. It’s hideous.

Assuming it’s genuine which is shocking if true.
APAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 09:22 PM   #19
SC11
Banned

Watch: AP ☠️
Quote:
Originally Posted by APAP View Post
No wonder they went out of their way to hide the movement with 2 plates of steel. It’s hideous.

Assuming it’s genuine which is shocking if true.

Your lack of understanding is shocking at times..
SC11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 09:52 PM   #20
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by karasus View Post
I love how people just go and yell fake, its not real without doing an research...

What you have under the hood is the JLC 889 with Magentic shield and a dubois depraz chrono module. Its the movement used by AP from the start of the offshores in mid 1990s until mid 2000s.

If you bought an early themes from a reputable dealer, then its the versions based upon the 25721 movements. Here is a link to the movement:

I would just go to AP and get an extract for the watch, its fast and costs about 200-300$. But yeah, the movement is real and you should be away that earlier offshores are amagnetic with that funny disk which is the magnetic shielding
Dial and date also looks genuine so no red flags.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11 November 2018, 11:36 PM   #21
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomas Eriksson View Post
It’s fake, no hesitations. The owner knows it, why else would he opened it...
Thanks for your input, I opened it because I'm nervous about spending this much and was dumb enough not to have it checked out first. I got excited about being able actually buy it and probably should have slowed down.
Old 11 November 2018, 11:41 PM   #22
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC11 View Post

Your lack of understanding is shocking at times..
Funny. Thanks I needed that laugh!
Old 11 November 2018, 11:49 PM   #23
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. The watch papers say it's a 2006 so this all kinda makes sense.

When say "get an extract" what exactly does this mean? Is this a paper trail research done by AP or a physical inspection?

My plan now is to find a good aftermarket service center to send it to. I am concerned about sending it directly to AP because if it is fake and they keep it, I'll have less go back to the dealer with.

Are there any good US based service centers you can recommend other than Clearwater?

Thanks again for all the help.
Old 11 November 2018, 11:52 PM   #24
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomomo View Post
Well, the movememt looks off. The rotor is is dead giveaway. The ROO is powered by calibre 3126/3840, see here:

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle...-oak-offshores

There are a couple of variations on AP's website for the rotor which I've uploaded, I think which version is used is linked to specific editions, however the base calibre is the one with the gold weight.
Thanks for the info. My watch is dated 2006. So it should have the older movement. I am new to AP, but I can see why people like the new stuff better. That new movement is gorgeous.
Old 11 November 2018, 11:56 PM   #25
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Dial and date also looks genuine so no red flags.
Thanks for the input. I hope it's all good.
Old 12 November 2018, 12:03 AM   #26
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Quote:
They had one for sale on watchbox: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpA3zKZbNb0

First few minutes, they talk about the JLC base 889 in the watch. The in house movements where introduced later in 2004/2005 so yeah older models will have a JLC movement instead of the engraved gold rotor version.

Btw since you opened the watch, you should take it for service with AP as soon as possible. You definately need to get the water resistance checked by them before you attempt to swim with it and check the chrono module doesn't need servicing.
Thanks for video. I understand it needs to be serviced. That's why I opened it. Given it's age I had planned to get it serviced and pressure tested anyway. When ever I get an older watch I have it checked before using it near water. But in full disclosure, I wanted to wear it through the holidays and show it off a little before parting with it for a couple of months. Lol
Old 12 November 2018, 03:06 AM   #27
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it. The watch papers say it's a 2006 so this all kinda makes sense.

When say "get an extract" what exactly does this mean? Is this a paper trail research done by AP or a physical inspection?

My plan now is to find a good aftermarket service center to send it to. I am concerned about sending it directly to AP because if it is fake and they keep it, I'll have less go back to the dealer with.

Are there any good US based service centers you can recommend other than Clearwater?

Thanks again for all the help.

Personally I would send it to AP sooner than later - if you still have doubts on it then waiting longer may invalidate or make it at least harder to claim against the seller as they may cry foul play. If there are issues then AP are best suited to fix it for you.

The turnaround times might even be fast enough to get it back to you for Xmas too.

I would say at this stage given the info above, the watch is looking very likely to be legit so don’t think you need to worry about sending it to AP on that account.

― Winston S. Churchill
Old 12 November 2018, 04:02 AM   #28
Greg75
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/JLC/AP
Quote:
Personally I would send it to AP sooner than later - if you still have doubts on it then waiting longer may invalidate or make it at least harder to claim against the seller as they may cry foul play. If there are issues then AP are best suited to fix it for you.

The turnaround times might even be fast enough to get it back to you for Xmas too.

I would say at this stage given the info above, the watch is looking very likely to be legit so don’t think you need to worry about sending it to AP on that account.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Greg75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12 November 2018, 07:47 AM   #29
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks. I am definitely feeling better about it. I'll call Clearwater tomorrow to check turn around time.
Old 12 November 2018, 07:48 AM   #30
Jefferson87
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone for the help. I really appreciate the research you guys came up with. It will help me sleep better tonight.