The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 4 March 2010, 05:01 AM   #1
sbeams
"TRF" Member

n00b!

Hi RolexForums

I'm a new guy here and I've been lurking for a bit and just wanted to introduce myself :D I've just recently gotten into the whole watch game--I own an Omega, Breitling, TAG and a few other watches and all I can say is that the watch bug has bit me! No, unfortunately I don't own a Rolex......I never really looked into Rolex until I was at an AD. I was scoping out the $6k+ Breitlings and just doing the typical window shopping most 23 year olds do Anyways there I was, looking at all the bling and then as I was walking out I see a strange 80s green pallet colored display. I notice the gigantic crown and I go "Ah, Rolex", so I decided to check it out. The man working at that AD was a very nice guy, complimented my Omega and said if I wanted to look at any Rolex that he had in there. How could I pass that up?

I pointed at the submariner because I've never had one/handled one.... My god, that thing was a beauty. It just oozes class and top quality that I've (so far) have handled. I own a Steinhart Ocean 1 (which is basically a copycat of a Submariner) and the quality of the Rolex was still miles better--you can actually feel it....it's hard to explain what I mean but I'm sure you WIS understand

So, now I have my heart set out on a Submariner! The price is outrageous but then again with my current watches--I remember telling myself 2-3 years ago before I wasn't into watches, that I would never waste that much money on a watch....boy was I wrong! It's going to be about a year before I actually manage to get my hands on a Sub (or less if I buy used) but I decided to join TRF because this seems to be a great community like WatchUseek is. Rolex sure does have a big fanbase

Anyways, just wanted to say what's up
sbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 05:09 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Welcome to TRF..

A Sub is a great watch..and even though the price is high..it is a lifetime purchase if you want it to be...........
Old 4 March 2010, 05:10 AM   #3
JPS
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500 White&Black
You can't beat a Submariner!
JPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 05:13 AM   #4
JackR

Watch: Rolex Bubbleback
Check out the GMT II
JackR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 05:20 AM   #5
JCB62
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1985 GMT Master SS
Welcome to the best Rolex resource on the web! There are truly wonderful people here who will happily help you through your purchase process. One thing I would suggest to you is consider purchasing a 'pre loved' or grey market Sub through the sellers here on TRF. They have tons of references and are just a quality group of people. You'll save money, and a older Sub with quick polish, maybe a service, is every bit as good as new. Check out the No Date Sub 14060, it is the classic, clean original Sub. And it's usually a little less expensive than the Sub date model. again- Welcom to TRF!
Tag Heuer Aquaracer 500M
JCB62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 05:23 AM   #6
TheBluePrince
"TRF" Member

Yo, the Sub is great but don't do what a lot of people do which is want a Rolex, see a Sub as it's the most obvious and popular, buy it..........and then want to swap it for another model in a little while when they've learnt more about the brand and the other model lines. Take some time to look into the whole range. Get a catalogue from the AD and peruse the sales boards too to see what else is out there.
TheBluePrince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 05:25 AM   #7
Rebel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Sub 75090
Welcome.
Old 4 March 2010, 05:26 AM   #8
sbeams
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCB62 View Post
Welcome to the best Rolex resource on the web! There are truly wonderful people here who will happily help you through your purchase process. One thing I would suggest to you is consider purchasing a 'pre loved' or grey market Sub through the sellers here on TRF. They have tons of references and are just a quality group of people. You'll save money, and a older Sub with quick polish, maybe a service, is every bit as good as new. Check out the No Date Sub 14060, it is the classic, clean original Sub. And it's usually a little less expensive than the Sub date model. again- Welcom to TRF!
Oh yeah, I've been checking out the sales subforum here and it looks a bit more attainable this way

Don't worry, I'm not buying a Rolex to say I have a Rolex--I want one because it'll last me forever--maybe pass it down to my son or something when I get too old
sbeams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 05:27 AM   #9
JBat
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710, 16610, DJ
JBat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 06:02 AM   #10
landroverking
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona
Welcome toTRF....Check a Sea Dweller.
landroverking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 March 2010, 06:07 AM   #11
ocwatching
"TRF" Member

welcome to a slippery slope with future watch purchases...
glad to hear that you will be working toward a new Sub

Welcome!
Old 4 March 2010, 08:47 AM   #12
sakuraba
"TRF" Member

Watch: sun dial
Welcome to the nuthouse!

The longer you stay here, the more you will change your mind about which Rolex you want. Eventually, you will come to the conclusion that you actually NEED to have more than one Rolex.
T 16600 SD
D 16610 LV

"fine quality is remembered long after the pain of spending money" -Steve Mulholland
sakuraba is offline   Reply With Quote