The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 17 April 2021, 11:18 PM   #91
sechsgang
"TRF" Member

I like the steel ceramic Daytonas...but I got bored of both of them incredibly fast. The PM models however, those may be some of my favorite watches in the entire watch world at the end of the day, they feel immeasurably more special, and obviously at this point with a 36k steel ceramic...to an MSRP 38k FULL PM model, a WAY better deal...and even at 50k given market pricing, still a better deal 😂.
sechsgang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 12:52 AM   #92
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
I have a Dayona (116520) and a DSSD and I can def see where you're coming from, as even before I had the latter, I felt the Daytona was a bit smallish. That said, I like the contrast between it and DSSD, which gets the majority of wrist time.
Old 18 April 2021, 12:55 AM   #93
JUSTIFIED
"TRF" Member

Watch: RG Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by sechsgang View Post
I like the steel ceramic Daytonas...but I got bored of both of them incredibly fast. The PM models however, those may be some of my favorite watches in the entire watch world at the end of the day, they feel immeasurably more special, and obviously at this point with a 36k steel ceramic...to an MSRP 38k FULL PM model, a WAY better deal...and even at 50k given market pricing, still a better deal 😂.

Yes...I had a 116515LN (RG w/ chocolate dial). I sold it a while back. Wish I'd kept it and sold my 116520. Hindsight....
Old 18 April 2021, 02:11 AM   #94
Xerxes77
Banned

Agree it’s a small watch...
Xerxes77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 03:59 AM   #95
SS Oyster
"TRF" Member

Actually, on the small watch comment, I walked into a preowned watch shop and tried on a black 116500 upon removing my DSSD JC, which normally kills the look of 40mm watches, but oddly, the Daytona looked amazing!

Made me want one even more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SS Oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 05:36 AM   #96
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Puppets View Post
Visited a few local ADs today now that the shops are back open in the UK. One of the dealers that I know pretty well had a white dial ceramic Daytona that was reserved for a customer, but he let me see it and try it on as I’ve been on the waiting list forever.

My other Rolex watches are GMTs and Subs (mixture of SS and PM) so this is the first time I’ve ever tried on a Daytona.

Impressions...

Truthfully, I was a little underwhelmed. It’s a visually beautiful watch, but it felt small and fragile compared to my other watches. I will get flamed for saying this, but it felt “like a toy” in comparison to my GMTs/Subs. Where my current watches have the functionality and comparative “beater quality” to them, the Daytona felt too fragile to me.

And I don’t know... I didn’t quite feel a connection to it... it felt like other than being visually nice, the functionality was severely lacking. That the beauty was all on the surface... but it lacked the brains to make me fall in love with it.

This is all from an initial 5 mins with the watch, so is perhaps not a fair judgement, but I just wanted to share my experience as it has certainly made me question whether I really want the watch at all, or whether I’ve just been sucked in by the hype.

I’d love some other opinions on this, especially from owners, about whether the hype and excitement of the visual appeal of the watch wears off. Because it is undoubtedly beautiful and fits really well on the wrist... it just felt to me on first impressions like it lacked depth somehow.
I think the Daytona size is perfect. I liked it so much I bought both colors
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 1 - 1 (3).jpeg (90.8 KB, 277 views)
brucethemanlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 05:48 AM   #97
CHRONOLEX
2024 Pledge Member

I think it either speaks to you or doesn’t. For those of us who hear it, we can’t seem to own enough of them. It’s the one model that makes me want to collect them all.
CHRONOLEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 08:22 AM   #98
Krash
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sub, DJ41, GMT
If you think a Daytona is small and fragile, don’t try on a JLC Reverso. I thought this would be a perfect addition to my Submariner and Speedmaster.

I finally found the one I was looking for at a boutique in Las Vegas. It was the mono face small seconds large. I tried it on and couldn’t believe how light and fragile it felt compared to my Sub. I knew immediately that I didn’t want it and at only $6,450, I felt it was way overpriced. I know it’s a classic, but my opinion of that watch completely changed the moment I tried it on.

It was an epiphany moment for me. I’d rather have another diver like the Omega Seamaster 300mp than a fragile dress watch like that.

Krash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 April 2021, 10:29 AM   #99
Breizh
"TRF" Member

I wish Rolex (and every other brand for that matter) had all their models with no movement on display to try on.
Nothing like getting on a list for a model sight unseen only to be disappointed when it finally arrives.
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 10:34 AM   #100
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
I recently acquired the black dial DaytonaC from my AD (chronicled in a thread I created about my Daytona journey) and it was everything I hoped it would be. I prefer the black, I think it’s elegant, as some have mentioned. It does wear smaller than my Subs but no less robust. I haven’t received my YG on OF, so can’t speak to how that wears but imagine it feels substantially larger. I will request the white dial as well, but black was my first choice.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 10:37 AM   #101
Sub*Man
"TRF" Member

Watch: The HYPED ones
As a follow on to above, I’m glad it’s so desirable, but I decided to not go grey because the delta between current market price and retail is too wide for me to overcome. This stunning grail watch is a beautiful piece that I treasure. I sometimes take it out just to look at it in the box. But it just simply ain’t worth $37k.
Panerai 1033 GMT -
God is Good
Sub*Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 11:59 AM   #102
dwjez14
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them
I felt the same way. I tried one on and wouldn’t buy one at retail myself. I found it small and think it looks better in photos.
dwjez14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 April 2021, 01:20 PM   #103
JSCP
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex PM’s/Patek
Quote:
I’m pretty sure I no longer want one. However, it does make me wonder whether the heft of a PM version would be more appealing to me. Maybe the white gold blue dial version perhaps.
As you can see from my signature, I have the SS Ceramic White and Everose Chocolate dial Daytona. I bought Everose first on the spot at discount like 4 years ago. I had never liked the Daytona pre-ceramic. But everose and chocolate was just beautiful and heavy, thick. It’s one of my favorite.

I got my Daytona SS White Ceramic.”, 6 month after I asked my AD for one. It’s very attractive but your description is what I feel about it quickly. It wears small. Mine doesn’t get much wrist time. Sitts pristine in safe, but not selling it. I do know it’s special.

But it’s nice to have it.I would never pay premium grey. Anyone considering that, should better try it on and then decide.

The PM is another world. stryker getting a YG Green Dial Fayton or a RG. You will love those.
DD40 RG/Sundust-Roman;DD40YG/White/Roman;DD40 WG/Olive;Daytona RG;Sub Black YG; Daytona Panda; Celebration 41; GMT-II’s: Left VTNR; GRNR; Batman; SkyDweller SSJubilee/Black; SUB no-date; Oysterquartz SS; DJ SS 36mm’87; Cartier: Roadster YG;Santos YG; Panther YG; Panther SS; Tank’73 YG, Tank must 2023 ;Tank Americaine YG;BulgariBB38mm/YG
JSCP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 02:01 AM   #104
Time2Travel
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemanlee View Post
I think the Daytona size is perfect. I liked it so much I bought both colors

I too like the Daytona size and went with both colors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Time2Travel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 02:37 AM   #105
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Daytonas look much smaller than expected when you see one in person for the first time. I was very surprised especially since they advertise it as a 40mm when clearly it is not.
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 04:28 AM   #106
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Watch: 321, Snoopy 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
Daytonas look much smaller than expected when you see one in person for the first time. I was very surprised especially since they advertise it as a 40mm when clearly it is not.

I think it’s just under 40 - 39.7 or so. It wears very similar to my 321.

I think the thing which makes it look smaller is that for a small Ish watch there’s a lot of bezel and less dial - so it hides its size a little

Stevec14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 04:34 AM   #107
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
I think it’s just under 40 - 39.7 or so. It wears very similar to my 321.

I think the thing which makes it look smaller is that for a small Ish watch there’s a lot of bezel and less dial - so it hides its size a little

I could be wrong but 8 think I heard 38.5 for the "40mm" Daytona.

Sent from my Galaxy S20 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 04:51 AM   #108
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:

You may well be right. I thought it was 39 point something. In any case, I do think the size thing is accentuated as it has a small dial.

Old 20 April 2021, 04:56 AM   #109
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevec14 View Post
You may well be right. I thought it was 39 point something. In any case, I do think the size thing is accentuated as it has a small dial.

38.9mm based on digital calipers that I just used
Old 20 April 2021, 05:12 AM   #110
brucethemanlee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Travel View Post
I too like the Daytona size and went with both colors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
i like!
Old 20 April 2021, 05:41 AM   #111
Stevec14
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Well there you have it. I call that a score draw.
Old 20 April 2021, 08:31 AM   #112
Mrngrz46
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Visited a few local ADs today now that the shops are back open in the UK. One of the dealers that I know pretty well had a white dial ceramic Daytona that was reserved for a customer, but he let me see it and try it on as I’ve been on the waiting list forever.

My other Rolex watches are GMTs and Subs (mixture of SS and PM) so this is the first time I’ve ever tried on a Daytona.

Impressions...

Truthfully, I was a little underwhelmed. It’s a visually beautiful watch, but it felt small and fragile compared to my other watches. I will get flamed for saying this, but it felt “like a toy” in comparison to my GMTs/Subs. Where my current watches have the functionality and comparative “beater quality” to them, the Daytona felt too fragile to me.

And I don’t know... I didn’t quite feel a connection to it... it felt like other than being visually nice, the functionality was severely lacking. That the beauty was all on the surface... but it lacked the brains to make me fall in love with it.

This is all from an initial 5 mins with the watch, so is perhaps not a fair judgement, but I just wanted to share my experience as it has certainly made me question whether I really want the watch at all, or whether I’ve just been sucked in by the hype.

I’d love some other opinions on this, especially from owners, about whether the hype and excitement of the visual appeal of the watch wears off. Because it is undoubtedly beautiful and fits really well on the wrist... it just felt to me on first impressions like it lacked depth somehow.
Another fox and grapes story
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3DA6E70B-6646-4201-BC02-E322F74039CD.jpeg (188.4 KB, 97 views)
Mrngrz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 April 2021, 08:34 AM   #113
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:

Perfect size IMO
Old 20 April 2021, 08:35 AM   #114
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrngrz46 View Post
Another fox and grapes story

LOL
Old 20 April 2021, 11:52 AM   #115
GT23
"TRF" Member

I’m loving mine and kept away the other professional models in the case.

GT23 is offline   Reply With Quote