The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 15 April 2021, 02:40 AM   #1
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Watch: 118209
AquaNOT?

I’m an idiot for all kinds of reasons—but am I an idiot (also) for daydreaming that I might be able to convince my AD to someday offer me a SS Aquanaut? My purchase history is very simple: a 126610.

I’m not asking for a Nautilus—in truth, I don’t care for them. But I gather from some posts here that the basic Aquanaut is yet another mere-mortals-needn’t-apply piece? I’m not in a position to pay the secondary/gray premium. So... dead end? Or has anyone managed this in the last couple years?
Guybrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:43 AM   #2
GoingPlaces
"TRF" Member

Not likely. Stronger spend history is needed.
GoingPlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 03:06 AM   #3
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingPlaces View Post
Not likely. Stronger spend history is needed.
I would ask the AD how much you have to spend first before they can allocate an Aquanaut for you. That is probably the most direct way to approach it. Otherwise you will always be guessing if you are on the list or if they are just misleading you.

Back in the old days, I was fortunate to have purchased the 5167 and 5164 with a discount from an AD. But those were the good 'ol days
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 03:22 AM   #4
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guybrush View Post
I’m an idiot for all kinds of reasons—but am I an idiot (also) for daydreaming that I might be able to convince my AD to someday offer me a SS Aquanaut? My purchase history is very simple: a 126610.

I’m not asking for a Nautilus—in truth, I don’t care for them. But I gather from some posts here that the basic Aquanaut is yet another mere-mortals-needn’t-apply piece? I’m not in a position to pay the secondary/gray premium. So... dead end? Or has anyone managed this in the last couple years?
Where in MD are you? No PP AD's there any longer, closest will be TJB in DC. Good luck with that.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 03:35 AM   #5
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
Where in MD are you? No PP AD's there any longer, closest will be TJB in DC. Good luck with that.
Tourneau
Old 15 April 2021, 03:38 AM   #6
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Would folks avoid purchasing a PP from a place like WatchBox? ...I’m worried that no warranty would convey, and they say they “service” their watches, but does that mean they might use non OEM parts?
Old 15 April 2021, 04:29 AM   #7
Jim
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would folks avoid purchasing a PP from a place like WatchBox? ...I’m worried that no warranty would convey, and they say they “service” their watches, but does that mean they might use non OEM parts?
I enquired about purchasing a watch from them and this is what they wrote....

"We just bought one within our WatchBox Group and this one is from 2018, full set and at our service center for slight polish touch up ready by end of April 2021."

You decide.

On the bright side I found a good reputable seller where I have purchased a 5726A-001 for a good price unworn, complete set and its being delivered in person on Friday. To say im excited would be an understatement. Ive already ordered a Rubber B strap for it.
Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 04:44 AM   #8
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Tourneau
I do not believe Torneau in Pentagon is a PP AD. Only two options are TJB and Liljenquist. Like I said, good luck with that. Either.

I would start buying what they have and hope you get an opportunity to get what you want or just suck it up and buy gray.
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 05:34 AM   #9
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I wouldn't want anybody other than a Patek Service Center to have serviced the watch. In reality there is no need for a service if the watch is just a few years old. The Patek warranty is good for 2 years only.

In my view, the biggest issue is the condition of bezel and case. I have seen strongly polished Nautilus and Aquanaut offered as in "like new" condition and by reputable dealers no less. Tricky business for the untrained eye.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 07:36 AM   #10
pav333hp
"TRF" Member

I'm confused... You say you don't care for the Aquanaut, but then ask how you can get one from AD? What I am missing?

Also FWIW, yeah, I don't think your spend history is enough to get an aquanaut from any AD, unless they are a close friend and can do you a favor.
pav333hp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 07:43 AM   #11
szabo_martin
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711,Sub,DS,YM42
Id say odds are slim as there is a multi year wait but you never know. All you can do is ask right
szabo_martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 07:45 AM   #12
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post
I'm confused... You say you don't care for the Aquanaut, but then ask how you can get one from AD? What I am missing?
Attention to detail. But I’ve been known to make such errors too.
Old 15 April 2021, 07:52 AM   #13
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pav333hp View Post

Also FWIW, yeah, I don't think your spend history is enough to get an aquanaut from any AD, unless they are a close friend and can do you a favor.
He doesn't care for the Nautilus.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 07:55 AM   #14
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Don't waste your time trying to get an Aquanaut from an AD, just figure that if you want one you'll have to go grey, but for the money it will take to buy one you can get a lot of other watches. Unless you pee money, look elsewhere.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 08:06 AM   #15
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
Don't waste your time trying to get an Aquanaut from an AD, just figure that if you want one you'll have to go grey, but for the money it will take to buy one you can get a lot of other watches. Unless you pee money, look elsewhere.
If I peed money I’d be spending more on urology less on horology.
Old 15 April 2021, 11:58 AM   #16
JerBear
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Touché

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JerBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:04 PM   #17
mwireless
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5980 1/R
Quote:
LOLL These witty remarks are what make this forum great, lol.
Current Collection: PP 5980 1/R, PP 5970R, PP 5271P, PP 5711 1/R, PP 5711 1/A, PP 5712R, PP 5205R Tiffany Dial, AP RO 15407OR, AP RO 26320OR, , Rolex 218238, Rolex 218235, Rolex 218206, Rolex Daytona Green Dial, Rolex Daytona 116500LN, Omega CK2998
mwireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:11 PM   #18
shaunylw
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shaunylw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:41 PM   #19
OJONES
"TRF" Member

Out of curiosity, I asked my local AD about allocations early last year. Was told that up until recent years they used to have a policy of three purchases (I'm assuming they meant SS Rolex's type level and not a swatch) and they'd eventually look after you. Now they said you can forget about unless you're at the very highest level of spending.
OJONES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:54 PM   #20
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by OJONES View Post
Out of curiosity, I asked my local AD about allocations early last year. Was told that up until recent years they used to have a policy of three purchases (I'm assuming they meant SS Rolex's type level and not a swatch) and they'd eventually look after you. Now they said you can forget about unless you're at the very highest level of spending.
We had people on this forum saying their ADs considered putting you on the list after 50k spent a year or two ago, beginning of this year it was closer to 200-300k at the same ADs.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 07:32 PM   #21
Guybrush
"TRF" Member

Well, that’s me out of the running. But I figured as much.
Old 15 April 2021, 07:33 PM   #22
David001
Banned

Quote:

If you got a 126610 Sub as a first purchase with no spend history then they like you, I'm still waiting for one at the Rolex AD and I've spent a lot there.

So I'd have a conversation with this AD and see what they can do, you never know.

The PP boutique told me I had zero chance of the Nautilus I wanted, so I went to a grey dealer. Personally I wouldn't distance buy from C24, I'd want a face to face deal in a shop - and I'd research them and would only do business with them if they have a good reputation and they've been there a few years, but that's just me.
David001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 12:59 AM   #23
CAWatchLove
Banned

Have a face to face conversation with the AD and be direct on your goal. Realistically you will need to spend to get it, but ask them what will it take to get it. If the AD gives you the smoke and mirrors of “that’s impossible to say and do, or we do not operate like that” then move on to the next AD.

Everything is possible with these guys, it’s just a matter of “who” they choose to work with and create a path with. One thing is certain, be prepared to spend.
CAWatchLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 02:13 AM   #24
mjm700
"TRF" Member

Just to chime in if you end up with NOT...

If you haven't tried it, you might at least try rotating a RubberB strap on your Rolex to see how you like that as an alternative before spending more than you may want on an aquanaut. For all the reasons posted here and in countless other threads, it is not going to happen in the ordinary course without a great AD relationship (not always purely $ spent).

I've written before how the aquanaut is a favorite of my collection, but I will also say that I am really enjoying my BLNR with a RubberB strap that I put on for the summer. Not the exactly the same I know, but I use them in many of the same ways and occasions. Shoot it down, but just an alternative if you end up not wanting to spend 3x MSRP.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0431[70].jpg (80.5 KB, 375 views)
mjm700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 03:32 AM   #25
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post

If you haven't tried it, you might at least try rotating a RubberB strap on your Rolex to see how you like that as an alternative before spending more than you may want on an aquanaut. For all the reasons posted here and in countless other threads, it is not going to happen in the ordinary course without a great AD relationship (not always purely $ spent).

I've written before how the aquanaut is a favorite of my collection, but I will also say that I am really enjoying my BLNR with a RubberB strap that I put on for the summer. Not the exactly the same I know, but I use them in many of the same ways and occasions. Shoot it down, but just an alternative if you end up not wanting to spend 3x MSRP.
This is a good suggestion because changing to a nice rubber strap could make your Sub seem like a different watch. For $240 or so (depending on strap choice), I'd see if it meets your needs/wants before spending $50k minimum for a grey market 5167.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 03:33 AM   #26
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
I wouldn't want anybody other than a Patek Service Center to have serviced the watch.
Or an AD's PP-certified watchmaker. Honestly, I've had my 5065 serviced twice: First time I sent it in to PP, it took forever, came back with little cracks in the strap, and the date was lined up just a tiny bit off. That was in '08. About 2.5 years later, needed service again. Took it to a small AD in LA that is sadly no longer and had their watchmaker overhaul it. It's going on a decade of working perfectly.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2021, 05:31 AM   #27
Breizh
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjm700 View Post

That’s exactly what I’ve done as well.
Funny how times change. When I was saving for an Aquanaut 20 years ago (my first PP), every AD had one and they treated it like it wasn’t a “real” PP.
I finally got a 5065 and loved it. It was the most comfortable watch I even owned. I eventually sold it (for a fraction of today’s price) to get my 5726. I always wanted a complication in my Patek.
I thought at the time the Nautilus and Aquanaut were too similar to have both but I guess I was wrong, and by then the latter had become too pricey. So I just put a RubberB on a Sub and I must say am very happy with it. It’s not as comfortable as an Aquanaut but much more scratch resistant and "care free".

I do think it’s a great alternative, but I also have another Patek.

Good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 4E00AF95-2669-4325-ACC7-2663C6D2DF61.jpeg (145.0 KB, 304 views)
Breizh is offline   Reply With Quote