The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 15 April 2021, 05:57 AM   #61
Aplover5
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boaters View Post
Interesting I have never seen one in the wild.
Never here, either!
Aplover5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:02 AM   #62
johnjm
"TRF" Member

I myself prefer a sub or gmt over the Daytona on the wrist.

The white dial makes it appear even smaller IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 15 April 2021, 06:04 AM   #63
Rori
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex / Tudor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Puppets View Post
Visited a few local ADs today now that the shops are back open in the UK. One of the dealers that I know pretty well had a white dial ceramic Daytona that was reserved for a customer, but he let me see it and try it on as I’ve been on the waiting list forever.

My other Rolex watches are GMTs and Subs (mixture of SS and PM) so this is the first time I’ve ever tried on a Daytona.

Impressions...

Truthfully, I was a little underwhelmed. It’s a visually beautiful watch, but it felt small and fragile compared to my other watches. I will get flamed for saying this, but it felt “like a toy” in comparison to my GMTs/Subs. Where my current watches have the functionality and comparative “beater quality” to them, the Daytona felt too fragile to me.

And I don’t know... I didn’t quite feel a connection to it... it felt like other than being visually nice, the functionality was severely lacking. That the beauty was all on the surface... but it lacked the brains to make me fall in love with it.

This is all from an initial 5 mins with the watch, so is perhaps not a fair judgement, but I just wanted to share my experience as it has certainly made me question whether I really want the watch at all, or whether I’ve just been sucked in by the hype.

I’d love some other opinions on this, especially from owners, about whether the hype and excitement of the visual appeal of the watch wears off. Because it is undoubtedly beautiful and fits really well on the wrist... it just felt to me on first impressions like it lacked depth somehow.

You’re not alone.

Old 15 April 2021, 06:34 AM   #64
TheHulk
"TRF" Member

And we almost made it 24 hours with no “I don’t like the Daytona” thread
TheHulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:35 AM   #65
Warningshot
"TRF" Member

Ironically I recently had the opposite happen. I had a very similar opportunity where I was able to see several watches in person including the white dial Daytona which I had always assumed I wouldn't really like based on the pictures I've seen. However, once it was on my wrist I fell in love with it, admittedly for the looks.
Warningshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:37 AM   #66
tabs2000
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710BLNR, 79220N
On 3 occasions I have been offered a SS ceramic Daytona from my authorized dealer. Each time I thought alright finally I’m going to check that box and own a Daytona. Each time I put it on 1 time the white dial the other 2 were black. I just couldn’t buy one. I was underwhelmed and the watch felt small.

I did just buy the new Tudor Chrono with a black dial and it’s the perfect size for me. I have been wearing an Omega Darkside to fill that Chrono gap in my collection but I don’t see it getting much wrist time now.

Go check out the Tudor if you like the look of the Daytona but want more heft to the piece it may be a great option for you.

tabs2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:41 AM   #67
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Puppets View Post
I’m pretty sure I no longer want one. However, it does make me wonder whether the heft of a PM version would be more appealing to me. Maybe the white gold blue dial version perhaps.

Pm is def better and has a very different feel. But in all honesty, what makes this watch the bizness right now is retained value/investment potential because truthfully, comparing to the SS model, the SMP is better, the ROC is better, and the Overseas is better......

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:42 AM   #68
greeneyedguy
Banned

It's different just trying one on versus actually being able to buy one from an AD. If you are lucky enough to have that experience, it is quite and experience and one hell of a watch. But it's still a watch.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:50 AM   #69
dkast85
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex BLNR 116710
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdemelo@hotmail.ca View Post
Are you still gonna pull the trigger on it or get on a list for an equally hard piece.
Is there a single Rolex that is as tough to get as a steel Daytona?
dkast85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:55 AM   #70
trippinjimmy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkast85 View Post
Is there a single Rolex that is as tough to get as a steel Daytona?

Blue SkyD, meteorite Pepsi

trippinjimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:58 AM   #71
Robf52
"TRF" Member

Watch: lots of Rolex
No doubt the Daytona-C looks and wears smaller than GMT's. The PM gives it a nice heft and look and makes it a very wearable and eye catching piece.
126334 DJ41 Rhodium/Diamonds//126331 DJ41 TT Wimbledon
124300 OP41 Green//126334 DJ41 White/Romans
Robf52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 07:00 AM   #72
Robert Bruce
Banned

I have owned at least 3 SS Daytonas, and was never able to 'fall in love' with any of them despite one of them being almost freakishly accurate. (It never gained or lost a second in the several months to a year that I owned it). They were nice, but not captivating.
Robert Bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 07:46 AM   #73
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippinjimmy View Post
Blue SkyD, meteorite Pepsi

Ridiculous. Look at the AD List price for a SS Daytona compared to Grey and then a Blue SD or Meteorite Pepsi and you will quickly notice that the ratio for the mark up is MUCH higher for the SS Daytona Ceramics than the others you mention. Furthermore if you go on ebay or Chrono24 there are about a zillion Blue SD's looking to be adopted at 26-30K which is less than twice what they sell for at list. There is no more in demand Rolex piece than a 116500. The hype is there because the watch is gorgeous even if it's chronograph is essentially useless and reading time on it is a reminder of one's presbyopic condition. It doesn't matter. Looks and Heritage are a powerful combination. A little of both create a sum much greater than its parts.
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 09:28 AM   #74
Seddyspaghetti
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN
Maybe because it wasn’t yours?

I’ve owned both white and black 116500s and thought they were great for what they were. Do i think theyre worth their market value? No.

I think the blro is a more fun watch to wear.
Seddyspaghetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 09:36 AM   #75
gnuyork
"TRF" Member

I've never seen a ceramic SS Daytona in the metal, but in photos I'm a bit underwhelmed.

However, it being and feeling smaller/lighter on the wrist (according to the OP) is a huge benefit in my eyes. I have tried on a rose gold ceramic Daytona and it fit me nicely. I can assume the SS would be the same.
gnuyork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 09:59 AM   #76
jtorrebl
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: what’s next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnuyork View Post
I've never seen a ceramic SS Daytona in the metal, but in photos I'm a bit underwhelmed.

However, it being and feeling smaller/lighter on the wrist (according to the OP) is a huge benefit in my eyes. I have tried on a rose gold ceramic Daytona and it fit me nicely. I can assume the SS would be the same.
That rg Ceramic Daytona is 1 mm thicker at the lugs. So wears probably a little bigger than SS
jtorrebl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 10:09 AM   #77
csaltphoto
"TRF" Member

Watch: sub
I've tried them on and while I think they are great looking watch I just have no need of a postage stamp sized chronograph with fiddly pushers.
csaltphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 10:19 AM   #78
richard371
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500LN White
If you want something that’s smaller and feels even cheaper get a 6263 big red for 100k.
richard371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 01:33 PM   #79
Joearch
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Daytona + GMT BLNR
Each person must decide for themselves what are the watches they connect with. I can’t imagine putting tens of thousands of dollars into something because others think it is special. The hype concept does not make sense to me. I have a number of watches in a wide range of sizes and enjoy them all because of what I see them for, not what others think. I imagine that is the same for most collectors. The curves of the case, the iconic face, the scale and most importantly the feel on my wrist made it appealing when it was purchased a number of years ago. All that said I also can’t see putting $30k plus out for a $13.5k Daytona. But to each their own.

If I feel the need for a more substantial piece the 372 os available.

Joearch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 01:37 PM   #80
SpeakWithMichael
"TRF" Member

Watch: Superocean 44not42
Add me to the list of "I wouldn't buy one at retail" until they give it 41mm Sub dimensions. Very dainty to me, and I have a 6.3" wrist. That's small.
SpeakWithMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 01:41 PM   #81
Golfbone
"TRF" Member

These threads are ubiquitious here. A lot of people don't get the Daytona until they get a Daytona. I was one who wore a Nautilus, Sub and IWC Pilot for years day in and day out and loved the legibility of those 3 pieces and when I saw others Daytonas I felt that it was kind of useless because it a. had no date. b. was hard to tell the time on. c. was useless as a chronograph. But then I got my first Daytona and I felt the love....got a second one and still feel and I definitely get the appeal of this piece so that my 2 Daytonas get the most wrist time of all my watches now. Yeah I gotta squint to tell the time but they are just so perfectly proportioned, with just the right amount of presence and IMO perfectly sized to go under a dress shirt sleeve or past a sweater so that I can wear it for sport or dress and it looks great with short sleeves/sport clothes as well. My black 116500 is my favorite watch right now and I can't imagine anything that I'd rather wear. I got it from an AD and paid list and I would personally NOT pay grey prices for it but I also would not sell it for any price. I'd miss it!
Golfbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 04:37 PM   #82
Gotwire
"TRF" Member

As far as size perceptions with Daytona. The SS, TT and YG on bracelet Daytona’s have an asymmetrical case (right lug is smaller). The platinum, WG, RG, and all OF (including YG) have a symmetrical case. Difference is noticeable on the wrist.

So if you want the “larger” Daytona you have to go with a symmetrical case model.
Gotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 04:46 PM   #83
Wing-Co
"TRF" Member

Watch: Day Date 40mm WG
I tried one on a while ago and as I had just taken off my WG DD40 it felt a bit - light and just a normal steel watch. Got to buy a GMT Pepsi a little while later and to be honest it is the same feeling. I wear the GMT, but it is a far less popular. It is a nice steel watch at MRSP, but no more. The gold Daytona watches I tried on where a different story, but the bezel looked a scratch magnet. I would buy a steel Daytona, if you could at MRSP, keep it and it would be a nice addition, but once you've sampled gold it has you hooked!
Wing-Co is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 04:57 PM   #84
TradingLoss
Banned

Watch: Kamasu
Icon4

Quote:
Originally Posted by myporsche View Post
It's a hype watch, that's what happens when you follow the hype instead of your passion. It's the same with Nautilus, 15202, etc. as well , its just a watch and some of them not very robust/innovative ones at that. If you still want one after this experience you are definitely following the hype.
+1 I would have said something along these lines.

Get what you like what you enjoy. Money can always be earned, who cares if you lose 10-20% initially owning a piece that's non-hyped, you can't put a price on how you feel.

There's less risk of buyer's remorse when you actually like what you got and don't even think of what you paid.
TradingLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:29 PM   #85
foxytimes
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD/DAY/GMT
116500WD imho is just a beautiful watch. proportions, design, contrast - everything is nice. It's a completely different story whether this watch looks good on your wrist or not. An individual decision.

PM Daytona is a league of its own. Many wonderful combinations available. I recommend a 116505. The RG matches beautifully with either black dial or even better the pure elegance of the ivory dial...
foxytimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 06:59 PM   #86
greeneyedguy
Banned

People saying the Daytona is small seems weird to me. I have 7 inch wrists and it seems to fit perfect. I'm 5'9" and 170lbs and it looks great. Its funny though it makes my other watches seem unnecessarily large and thick. The daytona is perfect.
greeneyedguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 07:03 PM   #87
mykii
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP + PP + Rolex
Agree, and agree. Let me down in the flesh as well. Happy that there's lots of other watches out there to occupy myself with.
Old 17 April 2021, 07:14 PM   #88
peterpl
Banned

I've said it once, i've said it twice and probably said it 100 times as a previous owner of the SS Daytona 116500LN White dial it was very very underwhelming.

For RRP its an ok watch. For $20k its a watch I would not buy. For $38k or whatever its selling for now you must be a lunatic to pay these kind of prices for one.

I would never be able to enjoy this watch if I had paid upwards of $20k for it. My mind would be on repeat saying your must be an idiot for paying that. LOL
peterpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 10:41 PM   #89
airchitect
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by greeneyedguy View Post
People saying the Daytona is small seems weird to me. I have 7 inch wrists and it seems to fit perfect. I'm 5'9" and 170lbs and it looks great. Its funny though it makes my other watches seem unnecessarily large and thick. The daytona is perfect.

I believe if you put calipers across the case it measures 38.5(?), not 40. The pushers are what make it seem decent sized. But compared to most chronos it is actually kind of small. Nice. But small.

Sent using Tapatalk
airchitect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 April 2021, 10:50 PM   #90
RaZCaL
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116500,116610,VCO
I felt the same way with the 16710 GMT. After being in awe of them in photos, when I finally tried it on my wrist, it felt small and underwhelming. However, after wearing it for a bit, it is now one of my favorites in my collection.

The point is, you really have to wear a watch for a bit to appreciate it. I have a 7" wrist and my 116500 Daytona fits perfectly on the wrist. However, those with bigger wrist (8" or bigger), I can see it feeling underwhelming. My favorite is still when I see a Daytona on a lady's wrist.
RaZCaL is offline   Reply With Quote