The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 14 April 2021, 05:25 PM   #1
shkure
Banned

Been offered a bundle. Shall i take it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
shkure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 05:58 PM   #2
HMHM
"TRF" Member

Only if you like the CODE or if you like the Openworked so much that you are willing to bundle to get it. Personally I’m not a fan of the frosted Openworked and prefer the chronograph CODE.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 06:04 PM   #3
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
What would you do with it?

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 06:06 PM   #4
Andad

Watch: A few.
My sincere apologies.

I thought you were smoking.......ummm .......sorry ...... joking.

Andad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:35 PM   #5
DJH1977
"TRF" Member

If I had that dilemma, I would take a code 11.59 chronograph, but tastes vary (and rightly so). If you have to ask....
DJH1977 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 09:48 PM   #6
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Definitely take that bundle, both are superb watches. I happen to be a fan of the Carolina Bucci textured gold.

Last edited by cascavel; 14 April 2021 at 09:52 PM.. Reason: Added line.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 10:30 PM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

Genuine question, which of the two did you ask for when they responded with that bundle?
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 10:31 PM   #8
rolexest
Banned

Watch: ya gunna do
Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Genuine question, which of the two did you ask for when they responded with that bundle?
rolexest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 10:42 PM   #9
Fishrus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116622
Don't think either are hard to get. If it was a steel openwork or ceremic openwork (without diamonds) i would take it in a heartbeat.
Old 14 April 2021, 10:43 PM   #10
hchiyan0925
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrus View Post
Don't think either are hard to get. If it was a steel openwork or ceremic openwork (without diamonds) i would take it in a heartbeat.
I'm inclined to think that as well. Or perhaps even the rose gold 37mm double balance would be a good ask over the rainbow?
hchiyan0925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 10:59 PM   #11
fullofboats
"TRF" Member

Check the price on the rainbow....why are you even hesitating....
fullofboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 April 2021, 11:44 PM   #12
Kittayos
"TRF" Member

The openworked wg is 37mm so make sure you really like it.
Kittayos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 12:11 AM   #13
Emery
"TRF" Member

Yes.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 12:42 AM   #14
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Grossly generalizing here, but interesting east/west divide in source of opinions!
macrowatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 01:48 AM   #15
dauster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
pretty sure they don't make a lot of the frosted rainbow openworked. pretty sure it's hard to get
dauster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:47 AM   #16
Gravity
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittayos View Post
the openworked wg is 37mm so make sure you really like it.
+1
Gravity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 03:00 AM   #17
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
The 37mm frosted gold rainbow openworked is absolutely not my cup of tea, but I do not believe they are easy to get, if one actually wanted one. C24 asking prices are through the roof, whatever that means. At best, I would guess availability is very spotty.
VogelPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 03:21 AM   #18
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

How about: Take the bundle, then trade the 37mm rainbow for a ceramic RO QP (non-skeleton) and your white 15500 + Code for a blue 15500 (or a Jumbo, with some cash). Nirvana achieved, time for a different hobby
Old 15 April 2021, 03:22 AM   #19
Rolextellstime
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 116610LV
I wouldn't probably because of the diamonds on the AP but it is subjective.

Sent from my SM-N960W using Tapatalk
Rolextellstime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 06:45 AM   #20
shkure
Banned

Been offered a bundle. Shall i take it?

Today i found out that most things gray dealers say on youtube is utter BS. Could not find a single bid for the rainbow AP...at any price. And this is one of the rarest and hottest watches out there. Not Roman Sharf, not timepiece gentleman, none of those folks were willing to bid. Take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Edit: The watch is for my GF so will be buying it anyways. But always helpful to test the market.

Old 15 April 2021, 07:01 AM   #21
VogelPhoenix
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shkure View Post
Today i found out that most things gray dealers say on youtube is utter BS. Could not find a single bid for the rainbow AP...at any price. And this is one of the rarest and hottest watches out there. Not Roman Sharf, not timepiece gentleman, none of those folks were willing to bid. Take everything they say with a grain of salt.

Edit: The watch is for my GF so will be buying it anyways. But always helpful to test the market.
Very interesting. So they are happy to advertise them for $200k+ (likely w/o actually having it on hand), but unwilling to make an offer on one? Good illustration how far from an efficient market this is.

Lucky GF
Old 15 April 2021, 07:14 AM   #22
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Thanks for the update! This watch is obviously quite out there. But even for a more mainstream (but similarly priced) Patek 5740 people had a hard time getting offers at 1x MSRP when asking prices were at 1.5x MSRP.
ts3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 07:33 AM   #23
shkure
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VogelPhoenix View Post
Very interesting. So they are happy to advertise them for $200k+ (likely w/o actually having it on hand), but unwilling to make an offer on one? Good illustration how far from an efficient market this is.

Lucky GF

Exactly. Here are some other funny bids:

Purple Code 11.59 they bid for 15k (50% below retail and 30% below market price in C24)
RO 15500 white dial they bid 26k (which is about 10% above retail but 20% below market price in C24)

All that BS they say about $1000 profits/watch is all for show. Margins are much higher. They squeeze the life out of retail sellers on one hand and then overcharge retail buyers on the other. They are no different than pawn shop, dressed in a cool social media costume.

Today i was convinced that the crazy prices for these hot pieces are largely due to gray market manipulation. And they found a beautiful way to “educate” the masses via their social media.

Old 15 April 2021, 07:39 AM   #24
HMHM
"TRF" Member

I’ve been saying all this while - this is blatant market manipulation but there’s too much money out there to stop the situation. But I think we are approaching that point though. When people get tired of even a BB chronograph trading at 1.5x retail and they can’t get it from the AD... I think we might see a change in consumer attitude.
HMHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 08:27 AM   #25
KBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 12:33 PM   #26
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Purple Code 11.59 they bid for 15k (50% below retail and 30% below market price in C24)
RO 15500 white dial they bid 26k (which is about 10% above retail but 20% below market price in C24)

All that BS they say about $1000 profits/watch is all for show. Margins are much higher. They squeeze the life out of retail sellers on one hand and then overcharge retail buyers on the other. They are no different than pawn shop, dressed in a cool social media costume.

Today i was convinced that the crazy prices for these hot pieces are largely due to gray market manipulation. And they found a beautiful way to “educate” the masses via their social media.

Interesting. Very interesting. Otherwise I would have said Vogelphenoix wins the thread and time to close it!

The wholesale bid on the white RO seems in line with what I have heard. I also have heard absolute crickets when it comes to the code time only -- no bid at all. So hearing you say they only quoted 50% is really just them saying they don't want to hold it at all, or literally they feel they can make 1,000 to another bargain buyer.
Old 15 April 2021, 12:47 PM   #27
kimwizzzuuu
"TRF" Member

They buy those pieces for their stock inventory or consignment pricing are totally different. Unless they have buyers with deposit looking for those pieces, you won’t be able to get the top dollar for it.
kimwizzzuuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 12:50 PM   #28
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMHM View Post
I’ve been saying all this while - this is blatant market manipulation but there’s too much money out there to stop the situation. But I think we are approaching that point though. When people get tired of even a BB chronograph trading at 1.5x retail and they can’t get it from the AD... I think we might see a change in consumer attitude.
Thank you so much for posting this.

Seriously.

I've been saying this for years, though been getting a bit more feisty lately given the absurd bubbly run-up the past few weeks leading up to W&W (and due to FHB's Jumbo Steel discontinuation bomb).

If we were in person, I would gladly buy you an expensive glass of scotch, or whatever your desired drink is.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:06 PM   #29
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macrowatch View Post
Interesting. Very interesting. Otherwise I would have said Vogelphenoix wins the thread and time to close it!

The wholesale bid on the white RO seems in line with what I have heard. I also have heard absolute crickets when it comes to the code time only -- no bid at all. So hearing you say they only quoted 50% is really just them saying they don't want to hold it at all, or literally they feel they can make 1,000 to another bargain buyer.
I think this is VERY dealer dependent and I have found those in NYC always low ball. I work with two grey dealers here in LA and I usually consign or sell direct to them. Remember that on C24 the dealer has to pay a fee to C24 which I believe is now 6%. I sold a grey 15500, that lowest price on C24 was $34k and ended up getting $32k for it through my grey dealer, who sold it for me and he added a small profit on top. He sells on very high volume and marks up each watch $500-$1000 as I have seen the purchase price and wire amount from the buyer to verify.

Point being is that you can not extrapolate one grey dealers low ball across the entire industry. There are still good dealers out there, albeit becoming a rarity.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2021, 02:21 PM   #30
macrowatch
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
I think this is VERY dealer dependent and I have found those in NYC always low ball. I work with two grey dealers here in LA and I usually consign or sell direct to them. Remember that on C24 the dealer has to pay a fee to C24 which I believe is now 6%. I sold a grey 15500, that lowest price on C24 was $34k and ended up getting $32k for it through my grey dealer, who sold it for me and he added a small profit on top. He sells on very high volume and marks up each watch $500-$1000 as I have seen the purchase price and wire amount from the buyer to verify.

Point being is that you can not extrapolate one grey dealers low ball across the entire industry. There are still good dealers out there, albeit becoming a rarity.
Hook a brother up! Can you please DM me the referral? (Assuming it's not a top secret contact)