The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 October 2020, 12:41 AM   #1
gm58
"TRF" Member

Icon5 Stone Dial Day Dates

HI there, been looking for info on stone dials in Day Dates and seems like this forum is way to go. I tried replying in old thread but seems no reply so start new thread i hope is okay.

From the search now I know that RSC can change the dial from gold to onyx even though not originally come with watch when leave the factory. However when the watch leave factory, do papers say that it come with Jade/Onyx/Lapis dial?

I come across some onyx dial day dates and worry about it is not original from factory. I search and see threads about aftermarket/fake. Is the best judge RSC about whether it is fake or not? Some say even RSC cannot tell.... is that true?

Also so any 18238 can be changed to onyx dial? Even the normal gold dials? If you are willing to pay fee.

Thank you very much for consider my question!
gm58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:34 AM   #2
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
There are dozens of dials available for the Day Date and the Datejust.

They are frequently changed and commonly done by the Dealer when a customer desires a different dial than in the display case. There is no advantage or requirement that one of these have a dial as it was when it left the factory.

Depending on the market, the build-code is included in the watch paperwork, but it is not as always so.
Old 21 October 2020, 05:09 AM   #3
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gm58 View Post
From the search now I know that RSC can change the dial from gold to onyx even though not originally come with watch when leave the factory. However when the watch leave factory, do papers say that it come with Jade/Onyx/Lapis dial?

I come across some onyx dial day dates and worry about it is not original from factory. I search and see threads about aftermarket/fake. Is the best judge RSC about whether it is fake or not? Some say even RSC cannot tell.... is that true?

Also so any 18238 can be changed to onyx dial? Even the normal gold dials? If you are willing to pay fee.
No RSC in 2020 will give you an onyx dial, unless MAYBE you submit a watch with a damaged onyx dial for service. Even in that instance, no North American RSC can or will do it.

Rolex WILL definitely know if the dial is real Rolex. However I'm fairly certain they cannot tell which dial the watch was born with, at least not prior to 18238.
HarryLime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 08:42 PM   #4
gm58
"TRF" Member

Thank you two for more info! Looks impossible to get Onxy now...

I come across a dial before which some say (well known online vintage watch sellers) is aftermarket from the photos because of font issue but RSC Hong Kong say no problem when they actually see the watch!

Very difficult to know it seems!
Old 22 October 2020, 12:56 AM   #5
Vlad
"TRF" Member

I had an onyx dial on my 1803 ever since I bought it (about 20 years ago). Always assumed it was aftermarket. But I love it, and I'm fine with it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1803 small.JPG (29.8 KB, 162 views)
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 01:16 AM   #6
powerfunk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1530
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
No RSC in 2020 will give you an onyx dial,
In July Bas said that they will:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
A few dials like onyx are still available through RSC (if you happen to own a reference in which it was offered). Lapis and tiger eye only for lady DateJust.
powerfunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 01:59 AM   #7
gm58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad View Post
I had an onyx dial on my 1803 ever since I bought it (about 20 years ago). Always assumed it was aftermarket. But I love it, and I'm fine with it.
wow looks real to me! so hard to tell...

So where in the world, can get RSC to give Onyx dial? Curious to know... seems conflict in experience
Old 22 October 2020, 04:02 AM   #8
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

I've heard reputably that the practice of Asian RSC's replacing regular non-stone dials, with onyx dials (for a price) ended prior to 2020.
Old 22 October 2020, 04:02 AM   #9
HarryLime
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Is this white gold? Would love to see more pics.
Old 22 October 2020, 07:57 AM   #10
Vlad
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryLime View Post
Is this white gold? Would love to see more pics.
Yes, white gold. Sorry don't have any better pictures right now - need to go to the bank safe, get a different set of watches to wear ... and take pictures.

link to currently available pictures: https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...81?usp=sharing

Mean while, it was the watch that I had on my wrist when my boys were born.... correct or not - I don't care. One of the boys will get it :)
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2020, 11:05 AM   #11
gm58
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Why would assume that? Have you had bring to RSC for servicing in the 20 years?

In any case, looks real good...