The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 21 October 2020, 01:09 AM   #1
stilren
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1500 Inquiry - Need Help

Hi Rolex Friends,

Im hoping you can offer your advice today.

I have just bought a vintage 1500 34mm, seller told me its a 1963 year. The seller is a member from WUS and very nice and i have confidence in his honesty. However the serial numbers and model numbers are completely worn away from between the lugs. The watch looks and feels right except the numbers are gone. Is this normal for an old vintage Rolex in your opinion? Will this affect being able to resell?

Here are pics of the lugs, front and back and crown side.

I hope you can offer me your advice of what you see in the pics and if it looks all good or not. Also how can I date the watch without serial numbers? Does the watch still have resale value without the numbers?

I hope I am only overreacting and this is totally normal situation. Thanks in advance for your wisdom.

Heres link to images.

https://imgur.com/a/mfplELY
stilren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:17 AM   #2
WACHMIK
Banned

you should share the pictures over so we can all see it.
WACHMIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:19 AM   #3
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WACHMIK View Post
you should share the pictures over so we can all see it.

^click link in OP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:38 AM   #4
vintagewatch
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sport 4digit ref#
The serial and reference numbers between the lugs wearing off is not unusual for older Rolex'. It's usually due to the band ends having excessive play and grime causing undo ware. The numbers missing or illegible would lower the watches value to most, however the reference number is also located inside the case back and the watch can be dated (approx.) from the serial number on the movement.
vintagewatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 03:39 AM   #5
stilren
"TRF" Member

HI Guys, I think i have resolved the issue. It took extreme patience with my kids magnifying glass to just barely see Registered Design 1500, the other lug I can only barely make out that it has numbers, i think begins with a 9 which should be consistent with 1963. I dont have a good enough camera to capture this but i will try after work today and share if im lucky.

I havent had a vintage Rolex before (had an ex ii) and wasnt prepared for the polishing to have done so much damage on the lug spaces. but otherwise its beautiful.

thanks ahead of time.
stilren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 06:15 AM   #6
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by stilren View Post
HI Guys, I think i have resolved the issue. It took extreme patience with my kids magnifying glass to just barely see Registered Design 1500, the other lug I can only barely make out that it has numbers, i think begins with a 9 which should be consistent with 1963. I dont have a good enough camera to capture this but i will try after work today and share if im lucky.

I havent had a vintage Rolex before (had an ex ii) and wasnt prepared for the polishing to have done so much damage on the lug spaces. but otherwise its beautiful.

thanks ahead of time.
That kind of wear is not from polishing the case after or during a service. As mentioned, it is from the bracelet end link freely rotating on the spring bar and very gently, over time, rubbing off the characters. They don't polish between the lugs from my understanding specifically to maintain the serial and model number. It is quite lovely.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 07:45 AM   #7
zapokee
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stilren View Post
Is this normal for an old vintage Rolex in your opinion? Will this affect being able to resell?
It does happen. But the seller should have clearly stated that the numbers were gone, as this affects value massively and makes it very difficult to sell.

I'd return it for a refund if this major flaw wasn't made clear to you before the purchase.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 October 2020, 07:50 AM   #8
Dannyscoggin
"TRF" Member

Watch: AirKing 5500
The crown looks like a replacement, but I could be wrong. .
Dannyscoggin is offline   Reply With Quote