The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 31 December 2013, 06:13 AM   #1
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quest for my perfect Rolex

As the title of this thread suggests, today marks the start of my quest for my perfect Rolex; we are all different, so I stress the word 'my' in this.

The story is this...

I started getting serious about watches about three years ago and having owned Tag, Omega, Breitling, Baume & Mercier and Bremont I finally caught the Rolex bug. I now have a very modest collection as follows:

1. Rolex Submariner 116613 LB
2. Rolex Sea Dweller 16600
3. Bremont MB2 TWG LE
4. Baume & Mercier Riviera
5. TAG Microtimer
6. Christopher Ward Pilot
7. Jorg Gray 6500
8. Casio G-Shock Rangeman

My problem is this, I don't yet have the perfect Rolex and I am spending too much time looking for one that doesn't exist. I have looked closely at other brands, but I always come back to Rolex; I love the history of the brand and the general design of the watches.

I love the Sea Dweller, but it would need the wider lugs of the new Sub, brushed case walls, and the new Sub bracelet and clasp to be perfect.

I love the 116613 LB but it is a watch I wear for work rather than my perfect watch, I'm a SS man in my day-to-day life outside of work. I'm also not entirely convinced by the date magnifier and ideally the case would be a little thicker.

I love the new Deep Sea, but after yet another visit to the AD today to try it on, it is just too bulky for me...the size, and perhaps shape of my wrist just makes the DSSD too big. I have obsessed about this watch over the past 6 months, but it's just not for me.

If Rolex were to launch a new version of the Submariner Sea Dweller, it would be pretty close to being perfect (i.e. a Sub with a thicker case, and no date magnifier). But who knows what they will do, and I doubt this is top of their list.

I also love the Daytona but I'd want it to be SS with a black ceramic bezel, and despite what people may think, I don't believe this is coming any time soon; I'd also want numbers on the dial rather than batons, which isn't going to happen on the SS.

I haven't yet got my head round modifying a Rolex, but it is something I must consider if I want MY perfect Rolex (unless Rolex suddenly decides to help me out).

Once I decide what to do, I may well flip my Sub to support the funding which will be a maximum of £8k

The journey starts here...I will keep you updated.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 06:34 AM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I think a ceramic SS Daytona is the perfect watch for many, but it won't come with arabs but this is an easy swap in.

AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 06:38 AM   #3
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think a ceramic SS Daytona is the perfect watch for many, but it won't come with arabs but this is an easy swap in.

how did you do that?

that thing is amazing!!!!

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 06:40 AM   #4
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
If you want a SS, ceramic bezel, large size, then you want the SS YM2.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 06:46 AM   #5
roger0770
Banned

Watch: A Few
Quote:
oh wow, this looks awesome!
roger0770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 06:48 AM   #6
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
If you want a SS, ceramic bezel, large size, then you want the SS YM2.
As much as I like the YM2, I'm not sure it's me. I am however going to revisit this decision as it does fit beautifully and looks stunning. If it was in black rather than blue, it may well be an easier decision.

What I really want, is just a modern day Submariner Sea Dweller, quite simple really!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Old 31 December 2013, 06:49 AM   #7
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Perfect Rolex...LOL....
It exist alright, but it's called a "collection".
You're never going to find the "One", I tried that and all I did was buy more and piss my wife off.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 06:51 AM   #8
Keith1
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C blue, DSSD
I also thought the same thing about the DSSD. Many visits to the AD's. Finally pulled the trigger, and now I love this watch! The domed crystal, ceramic bezel, and great bracelet really makes this a wonderful watch. Don't even notice the weight at all. I now wear this more than my Sub-C blue face. Went back and forth about the DSSD and the 116610 Sub-C, and now I know the right choice for me was made!
Keith1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 06:52 AM   #9
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Perfect Rolex...LOL....
You're never going to find the "One", I tried that and all I did was buy more and piss my wife off.

i think you are have won the prize of wisdom. truly, i think that is the answer.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 10:17 AM   #10
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post

My problem is this, I don't yet have the perfect Rolex and I am spending too much time looking for one that doesn't exist.
That sounds like a good way to kill your interest

I wish you luck
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 10:33 AM   #11
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
how did you do that?

that thing is amazing!!!!
Looks great doesn't it? Alas its not mine but I saved it from another member's pic as a guide to how the ceramic might look.

I agree that theres no perfect watch but a perfect collection is a better aim.
AK797 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 10:45 AM   #12
mfer
"TRF" Member

Polished PVD bezel. Ground off the guards and PVD the pushers and crown. Nice.
member#3242
mfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 10:51 AM   #13
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Perfect Rolex...LOL....
subtona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 06:04 PM   #14
Token74
"TRF" Member

The first step is to decide on the possible base models; shortlist as follows:

1. Submariner
2. Yachtmaster2
3. Daytona
4. Explorer
5. GMT2c

Next step is to start looking around for inspiration; I love the Big Crown Heritage as per the following link, but it's a bit too modified for me I think, given that I've not yet got my head around modifying a watch at all.

http://rolexpassionreport.com/13265/...ex-submariner/

In parallel to looking around for inspiration, I'm going to start thinking about what isn't quite to my taste on the standard models, then I can see how easily these things are to be fixed.

Old 31 December 2013, 10:32 PM   #15
kier333
Banned

I have what I feel is the perfect everyday Rolex, it's understated, classical yet rugged. Rolex Explorer 214270 39mm
kier333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2013, 10:37 PM   #16
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
I love the Sea Dweller, but it would need the wider lugs of the new Sub, brushed case walls, and the new Sub bracelet and clasp to be perfect.
To me it seems like the one watch that is closest to your perfect one is the SS Sub-C, either with or without a date. Get one, and brush the case sides plus the bracelet edge. It's an easy job to reverse if you one day would want to sell the watch.
Old 31 December 2013, 11:27 PM   #17
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
To me it seems like the one watch that is closest to your perfect one is the SS Sub-C, either with or without a date. Get one, and brush the case sides plus the bracelet edge. It's an easy job to reverse if you one day would want to sell the watch.
I think you're probably spot on. Having spent the last few hours doing various bits of research, I have ended up at pretty much the same conclusion.

My current thinking is as follows:

- Buy a Submariner 116610 LN
- Brush the Case sides and the bracelet edge as you suggest
- Replace the Crystal with an ND Crystal

The above slight modifications make the watch a little different from the norm (one of my complaints about the Sub is that a lot of guys at work have one, not a reason to not have one, but I don't like to be the same as everyone else), and yet all are easily reversible and pretty cheap to do.

I'd still like it a little chunkier but nothing I can do about that, and I will still have my SD for the chunky look.

The other thing I'm looking at is potentially changing the dial; I love the look of the older tritium dials, and it would really set it apart from the crowd; and again, it would be easily reversible. I don't yet know what my options are for this though.

I really like all the other watches I listed before, but ultimately, I'm a Sub man, I just want to be a little bit different (for my sins).

Old 31 December 2013, 11:31 PM   #18
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
A perfect Rolex and Wife do not exist. Close to perfection (for me) is good enough.
Old 31 December 2013, 11:35 PM   #19
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
A perfect Rolex and Wife do not exist. Close to perfection (for me) is good enough.
I'm a lucky guy, my wife is pretty perfect, to me anyway

Old 31 December 2013, 11:44 PM   #20
Fiery
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub-C 116610LN
Quote:
I think you're probably spot on. Having spent the last few hours doing various bits of research, I have ended up at pretty much the same conclusion.

My current thinking is as follows:

- Buy a Submariner 116610 LN
- Brush the Case sides and the bracelet edge as you suggest
- Replace the Crystal with an ND Crystal

The above slight modifications make the watch a little different from the norm (one of my complaints about the Sub is that a lot of guys at work have one, not a reason to not have one, but I don't like to be the same as everyone else), and yet all are easily reversible and pretty cheap to do.

I'd still like it a little chunkier but nothing I can do about that, and I will still have my SD for the chunky look.

The other thing I'm looking at is potentially changing the dial; I love the look of the older tritium dials, and it would really set it apart from the crowd; and again, it would be easily reversible. I don't yet know what my options are for this though.

I really like all the other watches I listed before, but ultimately, I'm a Sub man, I just want to be a little bit different (for my sins).
No offense, but if you wanna have a different, more unique, more exclusive watch to the ones others run around with, then probably a modified Sub-C is not a good idea afterall. A vintage red Sub or SD may just be a better choice, or an AP Royal Oak:

Truth be told, I personally prefer the SS Sub-C over the Royal Oak as a daily wear. But I am not surrounded by too many Rolexes fortunately
Old 31 December 2013, 11:48 PM   #21
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
Quote:
I'm a lucky guy, my wife is pretty perfect, to me anyway
Same here as I have been married to one woman for 35 years and but have 4 Rolex models.
Old 31 December 2013, 11:57 PM   #22
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiery View Post
No offense, but if you wanna have a different, more unique, more exclusive watch to the ones others run around with, then probably a modified Sub-C is not a good idea afterall. A vintage red Sub or SD may just be a better choice, or an AP Royal Oak:

Truth be told, I personally prefer the SS Sub-C over the Royal Oak as a daily wear. But I am not surrounded by too many Rolexes fortunately
Not a big fan of the Royal Oak; I like the Offshore but it's too big for me. I've looked at the Vintage Red Sub but it's too rich for my blood sadly, maybe for my 40th next year.

I think a slightly modified Sub will be good enough to set me apart a little. And to be honest, there are very few mainstream watches that I'm not surrounded by, was sat in a meeting with four others a few weeks ago, and all four had Daytona's.

I don't want to be exactly the same as the dullards (they are, I promise!) I work with, but at the same time, I don't want to not get what I want because others have it.

Old 31 December 2013, 11:58 PM   #23
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racerdj View Post
Same here as I have been married to one woman for 35 years and but have 4 Rolex models.
Good man, many congrats. Four Rolex's is an expensive hobby! Mind you, four wives would be more expensive!

Old 1 January 2014, 02:10 AM   #24
watchwatcher
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes
I'm going to suggest this: look for a watch(or watches) you enjoy wearing, bring you joy when you look at it/them, and fit(s) your lifestyle. Stop worrying about perfection, it doesn't exist in our world.
watchwatcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 02:26 AM   #25
Token74
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchwatcher View Post
I'm going to suggest this: look for a watch(or watches) you enjoy wearing, bring you joy when you look at it/them, and fit(s) your lifestyle. Stop worrying about perfection, it doesn't exist in our world.
Good advice I'm sure, thank you.

Perfection won't come in the form of a modified Sub, but it will get very close I think. I've probably been too worried about what others may say about me modifying a Sub, but ultimately it's only what I think that matters (although we all care a little about what others think!).

I've now realised that I've no objection to modifying a Rolex as long as only genuine parts are used, it's reversible, and it's not trying to be something it's not (I.e. I would put a Comex dial on a non-Comex watch).

I'm almost at peace!! :-)

Old 1 January 2014, 05:44 AM   #26
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Quote:

looks fantastic but i can never get pass that mod emotionally.
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 05:46 AM   #27
polarinda
"TRF" Member

Watch: it
Perfect watch? 14060 two liner..
polarinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 06:01 AM   #28
eeh100773
"TRF" Member

Watch: 14060 T Series '96
Quote: