The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 January 2014, 05:25 AM   #31
antconsig
"TRF" Member

The Geary's on Rodeo is the one I went into as my office is right around the corner. They said come back at end of January. Thanks for the other SoCal suggestions. Have you, like many of the people that responded, gone the trusted seller route as opposed to AD?
antconsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 01:42 PM   #32
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

GMT-II Blue/Black

Since I started the TRF trusted seller route rolling in your thread, let me hit a couple of points that may help.

When one is new to Rolex or any luxury product there is a special feeling one gets with the retail experience. And Rolex ADs are overwhelmingly great at producing that special feeling. For your BLNR purchase, the AD route may be the best one for you at this stage in your Rolex experience.

That was me some 15 years ago with my first Rolex, and when I bought my wife her first Rolex.

Fast forward and add several years reading + a couple here on TRF and I realized I could make great deals here for watches I'd be waiting a year for...in my case a White Dial SS Daytona. At that time my local ADs were taking names and giving intervals like 1 year to get one.

So I took the plunge, swapped my 1st Rolex + some cash for my (then) Grail. Yes, I sweated bullets after wiring thousands + fedex'g my watch to a stranger (tho one with stellar credentials).

But when my Daytona arrived, I realized the love of the watch surpassed the love of the AD.

Now some 5 years after that epiphany - I've dealt with 7 or 8 folks here and even a few on eBay, traded, bought, sold over 20 models I'd have never had and not lost a moment's sleep nor a dime.

It's totally your call - but you just might be a phone call away from a whole new way of getting what you want, when you want it, and feeling more control over the whole process.

Much luck in your new home and job!

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 02:27 PM   #33
DCheeta
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesbondOO7 View Post
Sad to move to California? Seriously?
I all depends on where you're moving from. The OP lives in NYC, so the sadness is understandable.

In any event, I'd get on that one from OCRolexguy post-haste. I bought at an AD here in NYC before I had discovered TRF. But if I had known then what I know now I would never have bought at an AD. I actually can't think of ANY benefit to buying from an AD.
DCheeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 07:01 PM   #34
Baco Noir
"TRF" Member

Watch: this ya'll
Quote:
Originally Posted by antconsig View Post
The Geary's on Rodeo is the one I went into as my office is right around the corner. They said come back at end of January. Thanks for the other SoCal suggestions. Have you, like many of the people that responded, gone the trusted seller route as opposed to AD?
I just went the trusted seller route for a watch that lists at over $17,000 and will get it on Friday with my name on the warranty papers for a substantial savings. I was offered 11% off by an AD and more than doubled that here.
Current Collection: Rolex 116710BLNR & 216570 polar Explorer II; Omega Apollo 8 Speedmaster; Tudor BB Bronze Bucherer Blue Edition; Heuer Heritage Autavia; Nomos Club Sport Neomatik 42; Breitling Aerospace, Avenger Blackbird, & Superocean 44; Seiko Black Monster; Mickey Mouse Timex Electric; and dare I say it...an Apple Watch too
Baco Noir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 02:54 AM   #35
antconsig
"TRF" Member

I'm glad I asked on here. Tough call in my spot as for whatever reason I'm skittish about trusted seller route but I'm coming around. I've been following the thread with the gouged case that was from an AD and therein lies the good and the bad. He got a damaged watch from an AD and is still trying to get it replaced with a new one. However he would have had 0 chance of getting it replaced. I may go trusted seller on this route and hope for the best.
antconsig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 03:16 AM   #36
TAKUYA
⭐⭐⭐⭐2024 DATE-JUST41 sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baco Noir View Post
I just went the trusted seller route for a watch that lists at over $17,000 and will get it on Friday with my name on the warranty papers for a substantial savings. I was offered 11% off by an AD and more than doubled that here.
. Can not wait to see the pics

Instagram @takuyawatches
TAKUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 03:17 AM   #37
watch_the_time
"TRF" Member

I've visited many ADs in the tri state area and I was really only impressed with wempe on 5th avenue. One salesman at a NY AD knew absolutely nothing about the BLNR and couldn't figure out what I meant when asking about lume. He had no idea what I was talking about and then told me the BLNR had a new movement as well. Little did he know I was an informed consumer and right then he lost my business. Call me crazy but when spending thousands of dollars I want my salesman to be informed as well...

Anyway, after spending some time on this forum I'd say go the trusted seller route. I only didn't because I was able to jump the wait list line due to a friend who had a 20+ yr relationship with the AD. Other than that i received no other benefit with price or experience. Just my two cents. Good luck, the watch is worth every penny.
watch_the_time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 03:22 AM   #38
TAKUYA
⭐⭐⭐⭐2024 DATE-JUST41 sponsor & Boutique Seller

Watch: AP/Rolex/PP
Quote:
I'm glad I asked on here. Tough call in my spot as for whatever reason I'm skittish about trusted seller route but I'm coming around. I've been following the thread with the gouged case that was from an AD and therein lies the good and the bad. He got a damaged watch from an AD and is still trying to get it replaced with a new one. However he would have had 0 chance of getting it replaced. I may go trusted seller on this route and hope for the best.
After a few times here, you won't go back to your local Ads to buy the watches anymore. Unless, they give you the good deals

Instagram @takuyawatches
TAKUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 03:49 AM   #39
"TRF" Member

If you want to fly to Maui--was at Baron's & Leeds at Shops at Waliea 2 days ago and they had one on display waiting for a buyer. Talked to sales guy and they did not expect it to be there long--as the watch had been in and out of the case 20-times and they figured it would be sold by the end of the day (and by the way they were nice enough to give me a copy the new Rolex Magazine).

Call first

As an aside was surprised to see how many stores in Hawaii had serious inventory--saw 4 different stores in Maui and Oahu--each with a new Platinum Daytona on display.
9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 04:01 AM   #40
Carrerax
"TRF" Member

I actually am wiring $ to a trusted seller here tomorrow and not worried even slightly. Should have my BLNR on Friday. I have bought and sold many things on different forums and they have always worked out well. That said, do your homework on the seller first.
Carrerax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 04:47 AM   #41
porschejeff
"TRF" Member

Watch: DD 228238
The upside, no sales tax from a TRF trusted seller!
porschejeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 05:08 AM   #42
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
There just is not negative posting about the trusted forum sellers here. Just read feedback for each.
Old 2 January 2014, 05:43 AM   #43
2tall
"TRF" Member

Quote:
haha i know it sounds weird but I love NYC. It's been home for 8 years and nowhere else is like it. I travel a lot for work and the more places I go the more I realize how spoiled you get living here.
I've lived in 4 countries, traveled to 15 for work, and have lived in umpteen cities.

I spent 2.5 years in NYC. The best one of all places I've been. Would love to move back but I can't afford to live there the way I want to live there.
2tall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 January 2014, 05:53 AM   #44
mm99
"TRF" Member

Credit card protections

Are there any trusted sellers that will take credit cards (with fees or not)?

I understand the OP's hesitancy about paying with cash for a large purchase. I use my AMEX for almost all big purchases for the protections it gives like extending the warranty, loss or damage, fraud, etc. I once crashed my almost brand new carbon road bike and AMEX paid to have a bunch of the components replaced with absolutely no hassle. They even reimbursed me for the shorts and bag I was carrying that got torn. The only thing that wasn't covered was the skin I lost. Though this protection doesn't last long (I think 90 days from purchase) it is nice to have.

That said, I just bought a NIB rolex from davidsw for cash. The savings were too great and I actually dislike the AD "experience". Much nicer to open the box in the comfort of my own home, and take my time taking the stickers off and sizing it myself.
mm99 is offline   Reply With Quote