The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 23 August 2018, 11:23 AM   #1
harry in montreal
"TRF" Member

Watch: The Habs pick 1st!
Are 1990s Tudor Chronos the last large reasonably priced Rolex Sport Watch?

It seems that you can get a nice one for $2200. Or you can get 40% of a full size Tudor sub! They seem like a great deal in today's pricey mkt
harry in montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 11:27 AM   #2
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Are 1990s Tudor Chronos the last large reasonably priced Rolex Sport Watch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry in montreal View Post
It seems that you can get a nice one for $2200. Or you can get 40% of a full size Tudor sub! They seem like a great deal in today's pricey mkt

I would agree. We’re talking about the post Big Block, Tudor Prince Chronos and Tiger Woods etc. There are some wild crazy dial colors which I think could be quite collectible. Will be interesting to see how these age.

There are some mid 1980s Big Blocks that still look like good value too. With such hefty cases these will clean up nicely with the current trend for recuts.

Sent from my cracked, broken hand wound phone. IG @morning_tundra
MorningTundra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 11:37 AM   #3
05carbondrz
Banned

Sorry,Missed the “90’s” part.
05carbondrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 01:18 PM   #4
Fleetlord
"TRF" Member

The "Tiger" branding is rather toxic and value degrading, although I do like the red lettering on panda dial...

The problem is that it was a really silly marketing campaign....something Movado would do. What does a chrono have to do with golf? Just blatant crowbar endorsement.

Dealers are trying to push these models up as the next big thing, but collectors will slam that down in rejection of "Tiger" with an iron fist...at least for now..lol

The non Tiger models are the way to go when buying. Still good price.
Fleetlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 02:39 PM   #5
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post
The "Tiger" branding is rather toxic and value degrading, although I do like the red lettering on panda dial...

The problem is that it was a really silly marketing campaign....something Movado would do. What does a chrono have to do with golf? Just blatant crowbar endorsement.

Dealers are trying to push these models up as the next big thing, but collectors will slam that down in rejection of "Tiger" with an iron fist...at least for now..lol

Exactly why I bought a near NOS full set Tiger. It's wildly unpopular and it has red on the dial, a veritable perfect storm for future collectibility. :) In the early Daytona days you couldn't give them away. In a brand famous for autowind and water resistance it had neither.

At the price I got it I don't care what it does because it really is a beautiful thing to own.

Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 08:22 PM   #6
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetlord View Post

With time, the toxicity of Tiger Woods will pass and get eclipsed by his career achievements. His wayward past is already fading from collective memory.

Golfing chronographs, a bit like diving chronographs, a strange mix for sure. As are PM divers. Rather pointless, but appealing to many.

Old 23 August 2018, 08:25 PM   #7
MorningTundra
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Carver View Post
..It's wildly unpopular and it has red on the dial, a veritable perfect storm for future collectibility... At the price I got it I don't care what it does because it really is a beautiful thing to own.

Beautiful enamel dial! This one has legs, as they say... will this be worn or stored?

Old 23 August 2018, 09:05 PM   #8
Richard Carver
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorningTundra View Post
Beautiful enamel dial! This one has legs, as they say... will this be worn or stored?

Stored, taken out and played with occasionally.
Richard Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 09:09 PM   #9
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
I think Richard & Colin might be on to something.
dP
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 August 2018, 09:20 PM   #10
rootbeer7
"TRF" Member

And now being called Small-Block. Ugh
Old 24 August 2018, 03:09 AM   #11
Mr_Pacman
"TRF" Member

I quite like the post big-block Tudor chronos. I prefer them without the "Tiger" branding. I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for one with the "Tiger" on the dial.

I've currently got 2 of them. A steel/gold "tiger" on a leather strap that is a daily wear watch and has lots of scratches and dings and a cool grey sunburst dial with black subdials on bracelet. The gray dial is from 2006 and made towards the end of production.

I'm finding it difficult to source a good leather strap that fits under the removable endlinks on the strap model. It's a tight fit.

The prices seem to have jumped on them in recent years. I'm not sure if the current prices are good or not. It wasn't that long ago that you could snag "new old stock" from dealers for $1,800 CAD on big blowouts and they were not popular at all.

Mr_Pacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 August 2018, 03:40 AM   #12
omitohud
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Pierce View Post
I think Richard & Colin might be on to something.

dP

I was gonna say. Lol.

Tiger or not, it’s an awesome looking n a good value watch. The DNA of the Daytona is obvious in the earlier models.

I blame it on autoconnect.
omitohud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2018, 01:23 AM   #13
bazamu
"TRF" Member

I bought a full set, mint Tiger about a year ago for less than $2K because I saw the value proposition. I will say, however, that after wearing it a couple of times I just found it to be lacking in a few areas that made the Daytonas / Big Blocks so desirable. The matte dials / case contouring / bezel design of the Big Blocks creates a very different aesthetic from the 79280s and one that differentiates the two from a collectability standpoint, in my mind. I also think the designs became quite erratic in the 90's (i imagine the development meetings went "hey, let's do a RED dial, and GREEN ONE! AND BLUE ONES!") and there's not really a cohesive design ethos within that generation.

They can be fun watches for a few grand and maybe the values of 79280s rise a bit, but anyone banking on them being the next Daytona is in for a disappointment...invest in the S&P 500 instead.

The Tiger I owned:

The Big Block I currently own:
bazamu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2018, 01:43 AM   #14
dricig
"TRF" Member

The 792XX series, Pre Tiger, Tiger or Post Tiger are high quality watches that are very comfortable and priced right. I prefer the Pre Tiger version since they have Rolex marked caseback and crown.
dricig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 August 2018, 01:49 AM   #15
Dan Pierce
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex-1 Tudor-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dricig View Post
The 792XX series, Pre Tiger, Tiger or Post Tiger are high quality watches that are very comfortable and priced right. I prefer the Pre Tiger version since they have Rolex marked caseback and crown.
Not all pre-Tiger 792XX chronos have Rolex crown & case back but some of the early ones do. The transition from Rolex crown to Tudor shield happened during the early release of the 792XX's and there are no hard rules.

Btw, wearing my 79270P [w/ 92300 dial] today on BC rubber.
dP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg thumb_P1290074_1024.jpg (274.1 KB, 149 views)
The Crown & Shield Club
Honorary Member of P-Club
Dan Pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 September 2018, 08:36 AM   #16
R!$
Banned

the new homage seems more reasonable given the homage dial and newer case/pushers
R!$ is offline   Reply With Quote