The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 8 September 2018, 12:10 PM   #1
bbrogan
"TRF" Member

Icon14 GMT 6542 With Replacement Insert

Hello out there. . . I was looking at a couple 6542's that were for sale out there. I am not going to go crazy looking for an original bakelite insert and just love the watch. I think eventually all the bakelite bezels might crack and disintegrate anyway! Would love to get some advice on how to figure out if the rest of the watch is correct. Thanks!

Both on chrono24
One is from Ari's Luxury Watch ($19.5k)

The other is from Awad Watches ($34.65k)

For some reason I can't post links.

Also if anyone has had experience with these sellers.

Thanks again
bbrogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 September 2018, 09:28 PM   #2
AndrewMayhem
"TRF" Member

Watch: Green OP 34 114200
Analog Shift has an amazing one on their website, and I know it’s a lot better priced than those. Plus, they’re trustworthy and offer a one year warranty. I’d go dig around their site and see if it’s still available. I’ve bought a few pieces from them and they’re great guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
AndrewMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9 September 2018, 03:18 PM   #3
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

What are you looking to buy, thats a wide budget. If a correct piece is what you want, and it should be, with a 6542 its going to run you a lot more than the first and more than the second. The first has a service dial. The second's dial has seen better days and it does have paperwork but someone just refinished the case and you'll have to find a bracelet.

6542s are not daily wearers so, for me, you probably want something more correct. Spend more. Buy the seller...
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 01:22 AM   #4
pts1956
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT MASTER 6542
GMT 6542 With Replacement Insert

Hi bbrogan
You’ve been given some good advice here. For me it depends on what you want the watch for. If it’s a collectors piece or as I do for a daily wearer. If it’s for a collectors piece with all original ( which is almost impossible imo) you are going to have to pay a very very big premium in the current climate. Original is a very subjective matter and not to be confused with genuine. Imho there are very few true original 6542’s around as at some stage in their history they have either had replacement hands, inserts as part of their maintenance over the years ( including dials) or been re-lumed. A true original is a very rare bird indeed! If you want it as a daily wearer I personally see nothing wrong with a service dial if it’s genuine Rolex or replacement hands with the same caveat. I was lucky enough to inherit a 6542, being nearly 60 years old the lume on the dial was crumbling and the radium hands had gone grey, the plexi-glass was discoloured and scratched, I was frightened to wear it in case of damaging the fragile hand lume and was concerned about the flaking dial lume fouling up the movement, so it was effectively an ornament. So I made a conscious decision to replace the plexi-glass, dial and hands with a service dial and nos hands. ( I have kept the all the original parts but I doubt I’ll ever put them back). I wanted to have it for what it was designed for, a tool watch to wear as a functional timepiece. I haven’t regretted a day. Some like to lock them away and cherish them which I completely understand, but for me I love to wear it day in day out and I can’t help but keep looking down at my wrist to see this amazing and beautiful timepiece ticking away. With service parts you won’t pay a high premium when you buy it and won’t get a premium if you decide to sell it ( but who knows that could change as they more and more scarce service dial pieces may well become the next best option). So to get to my point if you just want to wear a beautiful piece of history on your wrist whether with service dial, hands or not you go for it and enjoy the hell out of it every day.

pts1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 September 2018, 11:31 PM   #5
bbrogan
"TRF" Member

Pts1956 I really appreciate your insights and think you are right. The service dial may be 50 years old at this point!
Old 11 September 2018, 10:46 AM   #6
bbrogan
"TRF" Member

Thanks all for the feedback. Very helpful
Old 12 September 2018, 09:37 AM   #7
pts1956
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT MASTER 6542
Further to the above, I neglected to comment on your original questions regarding spotting the genuine item. Apologies if I’m teaching grandmother to suck eggs! I see the watch on Chrono 24 ( Aris) also pops up on eBay for the same price. It really all depends on how original you want . If you want it really period correct it should have the small Gmt hand as per the alternative one you mentioned. You can pick up the small gmt hands up from time to time on this forum. From what I can see the service dial is an early matte tritium replacement and looks authentic. The hands on both look like they’ve been replaced at some stage as the hour hand should reach the chapter ring, this is quite a common thing you will see on many 6542’s as they were probably changed at service at some stage in their lives. Both have jubilee bracelets which are probably replacements as they came with a rivet bracelet ( although I have heard reports that some came with jubilees fitted in the US market) , It’s not uncommon to see them on a jubilee as some owners found them more comfortable to wear than the rivet bracelet, the date stamp on the clasp will tell you if it’s period correct for the watch . Again the correct rivet 7206 bracelets pop up regularly on this forum but are not cheap! Although I personally prefer the jubilee. If you find a watch, check with the seller what the serial number of the watch is and you can check this number with the Rolex database of date of manufacture online. This should also tally with the date stamped in the inside of the rear case. Get pictures ( macro if poss) . Also get a picture of the movement. You’ve already identified that on these examples the Bakelite are aftermarket ( or fakelite as I call them) They do give the watch a more authentic look but if you’d prefer you can always pick up genuine Rolex metal insert for a reasonable price on this forum (1675 inserts also fit) At the end if you find something you really like please post some pics up on here and I’m sure those more knowledgable and expert than me will chime in. There are many fake bracelets, cases , hands ,refinished / relumed dials about that are very convincing and they are getting better as more money can be made by the scammers and it can be a a real minefield. I have heard good and bad tales of purchases on chrono 24 , so beware and tread carefully . The important thing is do your homework and due diligence checks before pulling the trigger and as the wise say on the forum, buy the seller.! Hope that helps.

pts1956 is offline   Reply With Quote