The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 April 2019, 03:15 AM   #31
kd845
"TRF" Member

Watch: 26331BA | 15500OR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
With AP going boutique only and restricting the amount of discount, I feel like their price will be pretty stable no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I think this is totally accurate, and the video didn't acknowledge that longer term view at all. I think the brand is going towards the Cartier model, and what I mean by that is controlling full distribution.

A few months back I tried to find a grey market for one of those Love Bracelets for my wife, as I refused to pay retail + NYC sale tax for a super basic gold bangle. That mission was next to impossible (for fully unworn / box / papers, etc).

I realize this might be a bit apples vs oranges, but controlling the point of sales will lead to steady if not increasing prices.
kd845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 03:27 AM   #32
Watcheroo
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
I'd buy the diver at 13k over the hulk at 13k.

I’ll second that
Watcheroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 06:34 AM   #33
ajw45
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kd845 View Post
I think this is totally accurate, and the video didn't acknowledge that longer term view at all. I think the brand is going towards the Cartier model, and what I mean by that is controlling full distribution.

A few months back I tried to find a grey market for one of those Love Bracelets for my wife, as I refused to pay retail + NYC sale tax for a super basic gold bangle. That mission was next to impossible (for fully unworn / box / papers, etc).

I realize this might be a bit apples vs oranges, but controlling the point of sales will lead to steady if not increasing prices.
Fwiw, not sure if that's true of their watches. Just picked up a tank new from an AD at a decent discount.....
ajw45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 April 2019, 07:21 AM   #34
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Fwiw, not sure if that's true of their watches. Just picked up a tank new from an AD at a decent discount.....

That’s what we are talking about. If you take out the AD for AP (Cartier in your case) for boutique only, discount would be minimal to none.

Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 05:45 AM   #35
onnomon
"TRF" Member

All I know is that the 26331ST RO chronos (41mm) have jumped from around $22K to around $26K+ in a matter of a few weeks.
onnomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 05:59 AM   #36
ragsk
Banned

But arent they correct? ROO values do seem a little down on Chrono24?
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 07:33 AM   #37
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
But arent they correct? ROO values do seem a little down on Chrono24?
Jules Audemars is up funnily Check out recent auction results, a Jules Audemars Grand Complication sold for 275'000.-

If you bought a Jules Audemars complication, expect to gain value

Also depends on the Offshore model, first gen 25721 with baton indices have been appreciating slowly. Limited editions have been down across the board, but that is normal, all +44mm watches have been down, that isn't really news since 2017....

Last edited by karasus; 2 April 2019 at 07:36 AM.. Reason: Submitted too early
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2019, 08:04 AM   #38
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasus View Post
Jules Audemars is up funnily Check out recent auction results, a Jules Audemars Grand Complication sold for 275'000.-

If you bought a Jules Audemars complication, expect to gain value

Also depends on the Offshore model, first gen 25721 with baton indices have been appreciating slowly. Limited editions have been down across the board, but that is normal, all +44mm watches have been down, that isn't really news since 2017....
All im saying is that ROO prices seem a little softer. Particularly the 44mm versions.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 12:00 AM   #39
Horolojust
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onnomon View Post
All I know is that the 26331ST RO chronos (41mm) have jumped from around $22K to around $26K+ in a matter of a few weeks.

So are 15400s. Silver one jumped from 22k to 25ish; blue from 25k to 28-ish now recently.

Horolojust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 12:41 AM   #40
myusernamez
"TRF" Member

I just lost 45 seconds of my life watching 45 seconds of that video. I'll never get those back. That link should come with a warning.
myusernamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 02:52 AM   #41
NYG1121
"TRF" Member

I think inventory is down as well for steel RO. Chrono24 lists only 9 15450st (unless I am searching for it wrong). There is no way to make broad conclusions about price with such a low number
Old 3 April 2019, 05:24 AM   #42
Jorssen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post
With AP going boutique only and restricting the amount of discount, I feel like their price will be pretty stable no?

Yes, could be. But it's turning me off a bit to be honest. I had a relationship with an AD 40 minutes away from me, due to the new policy of AP the AD does not sell AP anymore and I have to drive to either Paris or fly to Geneva.

When I was in Geneva last week to order a piece, they told me to build up a relationship with the boutique first. Come on... Makes me turn away from them. It felt like a job interview, explaining why I wanted that piece.

I do feel the ROO's won't keep their value long term due to fashion trends. They're not as timeless as an RO. My opinion offcourse, and I'm an ROO owner.
Jorssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 05:53 AM   #43
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

What a horrible show. Why do people tune in to 2 weirdo's talking watches like this.
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 05:55 AM   #44
Wahlberg
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorssen View Post
Yes, could be. But it's turning me off a bit to be honest. I had a relationship with an AD 40 minutes away from me, due to the new policy of AP the AD does not sell AP anymore and I have to drive to either Paris or fly to Geneva.

You mean Ginotti?
Wahlberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 06:23 AM   #45
Jorssen
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wahlberg View Post
You mean Ginotti?
Yes, unfortunately they're no AP AD anymore
Jorssen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 07:24 AM   #46
Johndong888
"TRF" Member

Watch: PAM 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorssen View Post

When I was in Geneva last week to order a piece, they told me to build up a relationship with the boutique first. Come on... Makes me turn away from them. It felt like a job interview, explaining why I wanted that piece.

I do feel the ROO's won't keep their value long term due to fashion trends. They're not as timeless as an RO. My opinion offcourse, and I'm an ROO owner.

I completely feel you. Like the other 99% AP AD, my ad has been axed as well. I’m not sure I want to go thru the trouble of restarting another relationship at this point.

It’s so hard to give away our money these days.

Johndong888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2019, 07:26 AM   #47
jb335
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Cosmograph Daytona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etschell View Post
Not a fan of these two kids. But i will say this. I'd buy the diver at 13k over the hulk at 13k.
I could not agree more. And I like the LVC.
jb335 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 03:03 AM   #48
BumperX
"TRF" Member

In their defense, I assume the people in this thread who have disparaged them are not the demographic they are speaking to, ie. the over 50 group. I will admit, the upfront bravado and pseudo-arrogance in the beginning is a bit annoying, but they did present SOME objective information. I live in a city where just last week there were over 100 newly minted millionaires in their 20s-30s who are probably tuning in. It's a different generation because their focus is to treat a watch as a commodity vs. the "forget value, buy what you enjoy" motto that gets repeated here ad nauseam. I resurrected this thread because I am debating between a Polar Explorer II or a 15703. I know that is not apples with apples...but these are the 2 pieces I think I would enjoy. When I buy a "toy" it needs to hit 2 prerequisites
1. I have to like it.
2. needs to retain value if not appreciate.

I owned air cooled 911s, Seamasters, and the Rolex Hulk and been fortunate that they all went up. Now I am trying to decide between the Rolex and AP..as I think both are near their bottom.
BumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 11:07 AM   #49
CHOSEN1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brew View Post
Those two are unwatchable.
Agree.
CHOSEN1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 02:32 PM   #50
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumperX View Post
In their defense, I assume the people in this thread who have disparaged them are not the demographic they are speaking to, ie. the over 50 group. I will admit, the upfront bravado and pseudo-arrogance in the beginning is a bit annoying, but they did present SOME objective information. I live in a city where just last week there were over 100 newly minted millionaires in their 20s-30s who are probably tuning in. It's a different generation because their focus is to treat a watch as a commodity vs. the "forget value, buy what you enjoy" motto that gets repeated here ad nauseam. I resurrected this thread because I am debating between a Polar Explorer II or a 15703. I know that is not apples with apples...but these are the 2 pieces I think I would enjoy. When I buy a "toy" it needs to hit 2 prerequisites
1. I have to like it.

I owned air cooled 911s, Seamasters, and the Rolex Hulk and been fortunate that they all went up. Now I am trying to decide between the Rolex and AP..as I think both are near their bottom.
I would agree 216570 and 15703 both good buys
Old 21 May 2019, 04:53 PM   #51
karasus
"TRF" Member

Watch: Royal Oak
Quote:
1. I have to like it.

Why do you assume people on this forum are all over 50... its almost double my age....

You are right that a lot of APs and polars are at the bottom of where they should be. The hype train has been hitting rolex/patek hard but AP has been left out of a lot of the hype train at the moment.

This auction season most lists were stock full of Rolex and Patek but AP was almost empty. Those that where listed sold easily while many more PP and Rolex didn't move at all. Its a sign that the watches are not being resold/dumped/speculated but rather demand is organic and driving up prices without the extra hype.
karasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:17 PM   #52
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
It's a different generation because their focus is to treat a watch as a commodity vs. the "forget value, buy what you enjoy" motto that gets repeated here ad nauseam. I resurrected this thread because I am debating between a Polar Explorer II or a 15703. I know that is not apples with apples...but these are the 2 pieces I think I would enjoy. When I buy a "toy" it needs to hit 2 prerequisites
1. I have to like it.

I think sadly this is the new norm, the old mantras are being drowned out by the new wave of watch buyer/flipper/investor, and the pure WIS is now probably a minority even online.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:50 PM   #53
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

AP down in value??

AP = Royal Oak and it was designed outside AP. That’s pretty much all about AP. They can’t live on like this forever

Homo Sapien X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 08:56 PM   #54
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
I think sadly this is the new norm, the old mantras are being drowned out by the new wave of watch buyer/flipper/investor, and the pure WIS is now probably a minority even online.

Pure WIS would be able to buy their grails at a heavily discounted bargain. Hey that’s a good news. Stay away from the crowd to make us special.

Old 21 May 2019, 09:44 PM   #55
Soly20
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homo Sapien X View Post
AP = Royal Oak and it was designed outside AP. That’s pretty much all about AP. They can’t live on like this forever

I'm afraid, that so far, AP haven't introduced anything with significant market impact outside of the RO. Even the new CODE 15:59 watches have elements of the RO octagonal design.
Soly20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 10:11 PM   #56
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soly20 View Post
I'm afraid, that so far, AP haven't introduced anything with significant market impact outside of the RO. Even the new CODE 15:59 watches have elements of the RO octagonal design.

Yes , some guys told me AP is obsessed with plumbing nuts
IMG_4086.jpg

Old 22 May 2019, 02:49 AM   #57
mobster600
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes
Why are you so judgmental to the Govberg people?

Your basically saying they are young, dumb and can’t afford the watches they talk about.....

They are working and trying to make a living selling watches and making YouTube videos. I don’t see anything wrong with that.
mobster600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 04:32 AM   #58
shafran
"TRF" Member

Watchbox prices are up on AP

I have been looking at their site and their prices on all ap is definitely up. They seem to be a little high on the 26710.
shafran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 May 2019, 02:49 PM   #59
BumperX
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karasus View Post
Why do you assume people on this forum are all over 50... its almost double my age....
Your comprehension skills need to be sharpened young 'un. Please reread the entire sentence and reassess my meaning : )

On another note, and apologies for hijacking the thread, but got my 6-digit Polar Explorer II today, full set for less than $6800. I'm Loving It! Going to post more in the Rolex forum.
BumperX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2019, 08:20 PM   #60
Homo Sapien X
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajw45 View Post
Say what you want about the guys in the video but govberg/watchbox is a pretty big pre-owned dealer so I imagine they have a good pulse on the market.

If you want to know why AP is dropping go watch the Revolution Watch interview with AP's CEO at SIHH. The arrogance and attitude displayed at the poor launch of the Code1159 line is a massive turn off, underminds the entire brand, and shows AP really is a one hit wonder and will stay that way under current leadership.

I know none of this should take away from the RO itself but let's face it, these are all over priced pieces of metal and a big part of what we pay for is the history, the brand, and what it stands for. If AP doesn't respect it's current customers and really hopes to own that rich 19 year old kid demographic good luck to them, but that's going to devalue the brand and it's watches for everyone else that owns or might buy one....

Totally agreed with you. The long running one hit wonder may eventually be a thing of the past, AP knows it pretty well.