The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 28 November 2013, 04:42 PM   #1
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Icon9 Black Bay is 15 seconds fast after 24 hours

I've had it for about 3 months or so but haven't worn it until yesterday. I timed it to Time.gov. Should I give it a few weeks to work it self out ? I haven't taken it off since I put it on yesterday 40 winds to power it up.

Any input, I would appreciate it
Thank you
Old 28 November 2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Sure, wear it for a few weeks, and reset it every couple of days, so it knows what's what. My Milgauss went from 15 seconds per day to ten seconds per month after a while.
Old 28 November 2013, 05:33 PM   #3
samsam
"TRF" Member

What's going on with the blackbays? Acting up around the holiday season? Is it a full moon out there?

No really, I'm starting to get a tad concerned, I'm going to check it out for the first time on Saturday and hoping I'd love it.
Good luck and keep us posted.
samsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2013, 06:27 PM   #4
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gold Sub 116618LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSam View Post
What's going on with the blackbays? Acting up around the holiday season? Is it a full moon out there?

No really, I'm starting to get a tad concerned, I'm going to check it out for the first time on Saturday and hoping I'd love it.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Well there's several million ETA 2824 movements out there for decades now.
Old 28 November 2013, 06:30 PM   #5
Jake B
"TRF" Member

It might settle down or it could be magnetised . First thing try giving a full wind so that the power's being distributed evenly as ETA tend to run a little fast when low on power reserve.
Old 28 November 2013, 06:34 PM   #6
U5512
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGERVEGAS View Post
I've had it for about 3 months or so but haven't worn it until yesterday. I timed it to Time.gov. Should I give it a few weeks to work it self out ? I haven't taken it off since I put it on yesterday 40 winds to power it up.

Thank you

That is typical ETA 2824-2 accuracy. They tend to run fast from the factory and they won't slow down either. If you want better accuracy then the caseback needs to come off for regulation.
It is a known issue that all of the SubC and GMTIIC's movement have reliability issues. Something to do with a spring that was introduced. I expect this to further increase the value of older Submariners and GMTIIs.
Heck why can't I start my own internet rumor and raise the prices of MY WATCHES!!!!
U5512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake B View Post
It might settle down or it could be magnetised . First thing try giving a full wind so that the power's being distributed evenly as ETA tend to run a little fast when low on power reserve.
Completely agree. It's a new watch, in my opinion give it some time to settle in and wind it as Jake suggested.
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2013, 09:08 PM   #8
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Completely agree. It's a new watch, in my opinion give it some time to settle in and wind it as Jake suggested.

Yes, from the original post I did say that I did a full wind, I'll give a few weeks to calm it down
Old 28 November 2013, 11:19 PM   #9
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Its very very doubtful the watch is magnitised although in general they do speed up,normally they run very very erratic and some stop and refuse to start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by U5512 View Post
That is typical ETA 2824-2 accuracy. They tend to run fast from the factory and they won't slow down either. If you want better accuracy then the caseback needs to come off for regulation.
Well the 2824-T2 that's in the Tudor range is a chronometer spec movement there are 5 grades in most of the ETA line the two top grades are chronometer spec movements.Now nearly all new watches need time to settle in even a Rolex,and seeing this one has not been worn for 3 months since buying.It needs time to settle in and regularly worn for a month or so.Then do a accurate test over at least 5 days,then if accuracy is still say over a average of 5- 10 seconds a day have it regulated.But even 15 seconds fast out of 86400 seconds in a day is still 99.985% accurate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGERVEGAS View Post

Thank you

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 November 2013, 11:24 PM   #10
Racerdj
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Patek-Philippe
I hope it slows down for you.
Old 28 November 2013, 11:28 PM   #11
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

That's way out of spec. A watch might settle in a second or two but never more than that. I have personally never seen my watches "settle" in more than a second with years of time. That ETA is capable of one second a day accuracy. In fact there is nothing inferior about your ETA movement over a Rolex in-house movement.
Old 28 November 2013, 11:32 PM   #12
Vittorio77
"TRF" Member

Watch: YM, Explo, Pelagos
OMG!!! It wouldn't fit Mr. Ocean and his 11 friend!
Vittorio77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 12:30 AM   #13
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Its very very doubtful the watch is magnitised although in general they do speed up,normally they run very very erratic and some stop and refuse to start.

Well the 2824-T2 that's in the Tudor range is a chronometer spec movement there are 5 grades in most of the ETA line the two top grades are chronometer spec movements.Now nearly all new watches need time to settle in even a Rolex,and seeing this one has not been worn for 3 months since buying.It needs time to settle in and regularly worn for a month or so.Then do a accurate test over at least 5 days,then if accuracy is still say over a average of 5- 10 seconds a day have it regulated.But even 15 seconds fast out of 86400 seconds in a day is still 99.985% accurate.
Not so doubtful, my friend. In fact, it's VERY common these days. Although a severely magnetised watch will often be erratic and will run quite fast (minutes a day, or even hour), watches that are magnetised to a lesser degree will simply show a quicker daily rate as a sympton. Magnets are everywhere, and people often will rest a watch on a speaker, a clock radio (speaker), laptops, etc etc etc. I'm certain of it, mate. I see watches in my shop quite often magnetised to some small degree, and the rate will slow right down to normal after demagnetised.
Old 29 November 2013, 02:57 AM   #14
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Not so doubtful, my friend. In fact, it's VERY common these days. Although a severely magnetised watch will often be erratic and will run quite fast (minutes a day, or even hour), watches that are magnetised to a lesser degree will simply show a quicker daily rate as a sympton. Magnets are everywhere, and people often will rest a watch on a speaker, a clock radio (speaker), laptops, etc etc etc. I'm certain of it, mate. I see watches in my shop quite often magnetised to some small degree, and the rate will slow right down to normal after demagnetised.
Would agree to a point but very doubtful if its a consistent daily gain.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 03:03 AM   #15
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
Would agree to a point but very doubtful if its a consistent daily gain.
Hate to seem difficult, but I see it quite often, padi, in both Swiss and Japanese mechanical movements. I'm a custom dive watch maker by profession, mate. To be honest it's even seen in brand new, out of the box movements. Often, after I've done a build, and I see that a watch is running a steady +20 (for example) on the timegrapher, I'll demagnetise it, and the rate will come down to an acceptable daily rate without any regulation. (approx +5 to +10 sec/day)
Old 29 November 2013, 03:13 AM   #16
anothernewphone
Banned

Watch: 116520
Don't forget that there's no claims for -4/+6 on the Tudor models. They're not COSC.

Does that mean something to everyone here? No, there's plenty of anecdotal evidence from people saying their Tudor is the most accurate watch they've ever owned, but facts are facts, the ETAs in the Black Bay are not always going to be "superlative."
anothernewphone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 03:16 AM   #17
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
Mark,
Just check to see if it's consistently fast, then take it to get regulated.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 04:41 AM   #18
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
Sure, wear it for a few weeks, and reset it every couple of days, so it knows what's what. My Milgauss went from 15 seconds per day to ten seconds per month after a while.
My BB was 15 sec/day off when new. After a few weeks it came down to 7sec/day and after about three month it was down to 3.5/sec/day, which is within COSC specs (−4/+6).
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 05:09 AM   #19
Laszlo
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
My new Sub-C ND was +15 for the first few weeks then settled down to spec. But honestly, I don't care that much. My DJ is insanely accurate. Spooky actually.

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 05:26 AM   #20
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Had more than one new watch over 15sec fast/day...needed time to break-in (about two weeks I say +/-).

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 08:24 AM   #21
Z-Sub
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Not a ONEWatch Man
Quote:
Hate to seem difficult, but I see it quite often, padi, in both Swiss and Japanese mechanical movements. I'm a custom dive watch maker by profession, mate. To be honest it's even seen in brand new, out of the box movements. Often, after I've done a build, and I see that a watch is running a steady +20 (for example) on the timegrapher, I'll demagnetise it, and the rate will come down to an acceptable daily rate without any regulation. (approx +5 to +10 sec/day)
Had to agree. I bought a demagnetizer for this exact reason. My wife's watches gets magnetized several times a year. rarely but mine too. wonder why? She uses hairdryer all the time maybe that was the cause? When I timed them, they actually did run pretty consistently with same deviation daily until I demagnetize them then they ran accurately again. Probably not magnetized strong enough to cause erratic timing. This happened to her DJ and SS Daytona and my Submariner in the past. It was much easier for me to spend a few dollars for the demagnetizer than to drive to watchmaker or send to Rolex to have one checked out.
TT Blue Submariner "P"
SS GMT-Master ll "M", Pepsi
Pam 311, 524, 297
Z-Sub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 08:49 AM   #22
Chainring
"TRF" Member

Watch: A few, not enough.
I got mine this past July and it was +10. Now it is closer to +6 or better. Maybe it will settle in.
Chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 10:49 AM   #23
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
Mark,
Just check to see if it's consistently fast, then take it to get regulated.
Thank you Mike
Now it's 27 seconds fast, I did a full wind again last night.

I just reset it and I'll check it everyday at this same time for 5 days, fully wind again. I'll leave it alone until next Thursday.

EDIT: I'll wear it for 5 days without winding it and re check it then
Old 29 November 2013, 02:24 PM   #24
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
We almost need a category to repeatedly discuss actual accuracy vs. expected accuracy. On and on we go...

It it meets the COSC it is guaranteed to, enjoy it. If not - take it back and get it fixed.

If your new Z06 Vette doesn't run the manufacturer/dealer advertised time - you take it back and have it tuned until it does. No special break in. That is now really just a fallacy. Either it meets factory specs or it is replaced/repaired at their expense until it does.

I have never read the page in a Rolex manual where it discussed Movement Break In...
TimeOnMyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2013, 02:29 PM   #25
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnMyHands View Post
We almost need a category to repeatedly discuss actual accuracy vs. expected accuracy. On and on we go...

It it meets the COSC it is guaranteed to, enjoy it. If not - take it back and get it fixed.

If your new Z06 Vette doesn't run the manufacturer/dealer advertised time - you take it back and have it tuned until it does. No special break in. That is now really just a fallacy. Either it meets factory specs or it is replaced/repaired at their expense until it does.

I have never read the page in a Rolex manual where it discussed Movement Break In...
Does the BB come with any kind if timekeeping guarantee? I doubt it. And since it is not COSC certified, you can't return it if it runs outside those specs.
Old 29 November 2013, 11:40 PM   #26
Jake B
"TRF" Member

Quote:

Well, it's not a Rolex, and it's not COSC certified.
Old 29 November 2013, 11:58 PM   #27
DJJon
"TRF" Member

Watch: DJ - Need Sub Bad
Funny how there are regular posts about how non-important COSC is with Rolexes, but then when a Tudor doesn't carry the COSC certification there's all sort of agreement undergoing COSC makes Rolexes better for having it.

I like the definition of expected performance that a COSC cert brings to the owner. Now we all realize that meeting COSC is not particularly hard for a watch movement manufacturer to achieve in today's world, which is not the point. The point is the OP is dissatisfied at +15 sec/day and really has no direct manufacturer's claim that his watch is failing to meet.
DJJon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2013, 02:14 AM   #28
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
But you did read about movement-break-in on this forum over and over again.
At least I have. And then I experienced it on my BB.
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2013, 02:54 AM   #29
Cc1966
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the Sea...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tudor Fan View Post
But you did read about movement-break-in on this forum over and over again.
At least I have. And then I experienced it on my BB.
Concur, break-in is a fact with many mechanical watches, not a theory.

"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way."
Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778
"Curmudgeons " Favorites: 1665 SD, Sub Date, DSSD, Exp II, Sub LV, GMTIIc
Cc1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2013, 08:28 AM   #30
Singslinger
"TRF" Member

My BB has kept excellent time from day 1, which was about 4 months ago.
Singslinger is offline   Reply With Quote