The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 30 November 2013, 11:21 AM   #31
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Given the low stress on most parts on a watch I doubt they need to 'break in'.

Watch movements that are tested to and pass COSC are not 'broken in' before they are sent for testing they are just taken from assembly as a movement and tested.

Watch wearing patterns vary from wearer to wearer.
I wear my Submariner Monday to Friday 7.00AM until around 4.40PM each weekday and I usually wear a different watch at the weekends.
It loses about 3 seconds during the day but holds zero gain or loss parked over the weekend at 12 down.

The only way to know YOUR watch accuracy is to check it to a website and wear it for a month in your normal pattern.
Winding it, wearing it for a day here and there or changing a 'wearing pattern' will not tell you how accurate the watch is for you.

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2013, 12:49 PM   #32
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Watch: 16570
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cc1966 View Post
Concur, break-in is a fact with many mechanical watches, not a theory.
Well I suggest that Rolex has a tad more experience in mechanical watches than any invested, long term WIS, and since they engineer, build and market the product, why do they make NO mention of break in - or any such requirement?? If it TRuly effected the accuracy of their product would in not be in their best interests to cover a 'break in' if it was in any way necessary?

Break in to me means; don't over rev your new engine, watch the temp, break the engine in during cooler temps when possible, change the oil after the first 100 miles, no speed shifting...etc., etc. I understand that higher end cars, SLR McClaren Benz, Bugatti, Ferrari, etc., no longer have break in periods as they are run in before delivery.

I agree that engines, (subject to varying temps, strains and loads) do require certain break in procedures, even my Stihl chainsaws did...but a micro-mechanical machine such as a watch movement. Ah....no. Which is why Rolex makes ZERO mention of this. Watch movements either keep good time when the leave the desk of the watchmaker or they don't.
TimeOnMyHands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2013, 02:17 PM   #33
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Update:
14 seconds fast after resetting 24 hours ago with a full wind. I'll try to do daily updates and won't reset it or wind it for the next 4 days. Maybe these end links are making it faster

Sent from.....
Old 30 November 2013, 03:25 PM   #34
Nidal
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC LV
Black Bay is not COSC watch period. You are not going to get same quality you get spending 8k for 3k
Nidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2013, 04:42 PM   #35
Andad

The movement in a Black Bay will easily meet COSC specs as will many other movements that are not tested.

As for the quality of 8K versus 3K.
There are watches way under 3K that meet COSC.

My Ball Fireman with ETA is about +4 to +5.
My Grovana with ETA runs about -2.
Both checked over a few weeks with my regular wearing pattern and NO winding.

If if hasn't stopped - why wind it.

Old 30 November 2013, 04:45 PM   #36
Andad

An hourly update might be more accurate Mark.

Last edited by Andad; 30 November 2013 at 05:00 PM.. Reason: Forgot the smilies
Old 30 November 2013, 04:48 PM   #37
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

^^Nidal^^ I realize this, I'm not trying to compare a ROLEX COSC to a TUDOR !!! I never said anything about that. But after 5 days and if it's over 3 mins fast then there might be an issue with this one. That's why I'm keeping an eye on it. Lots of members say their Black Bay is on the money and keeping better time then mine .

Thanks for your input EDDIE, I'll do that as well
Old 30 November 2013, 04:59 PM   #38
Andad

Oops I forgot the mate.

Old 30 November 2013, 06:01 PM   #39
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
The movement in a Black Bay will easily meet COSC specs as will many other movements that are not tested.

As for the quality of 8K versus 3K.
There are watches way under 3K that meet COSC.

My Ball Fireman with ETA is about +4 to +5.
My Grovana with ETA runs about -2.
Both checked over a few weeks with my regular wearing pattern and NO winding.

If if hasn't stopped - why wind it.
Exactly myself have regulated the Chinese made Seagull ST19 chronograph movement even out of the box when tested on timing machine was +10 fast not bad for a $60 watch.But after regulation ran well inside the COSC spec and has done so now for well over 5 years.Most all modern day movements could with careful regulation match of come very close to the now quite old COCS test.And yes some movement might need a break in period to adjust to the wearing habits etc.And you must do a proper test you cannot check a watch over a few hours or even 24 hours.It must be done with regular wearing and testing over 5 days or longer with just one time check daily with the same testing source.And even a quartz watch will do for testing source that's accurate enough.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2013, 06:02 PM   #40
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Oops I forgot the mate.
I'll set my alarm and check it every hour lol
Old 1 December 2013, 05:16 PM   #41
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Total of 30 seconds fast after 54 hours
Old 1 December 2013, 05:25 PM   #42
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Clearly we should offer the (a) solution while not repeating an opinion of the challenge in meeting timekeeping (movement) expectations.
Old 1 December 2013, 05:39 PM   #43
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGERVEGAS View Post
Total of 30 seconds fast after 54 hours
What are your wearing habits are you wearing 24/7 what was the state of the mainspring power reserve did you fully wind watch.If you are not wearing 24/7 how is the watch resting while off wrist how are you testing your watch what is you method.

ICom Pro3

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Old 1 December 2013, 05:44 PM   #44
TimeOnMyHands
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
What are your wearing habits are you wearing 24/7 what was the state of the mainspring power reserve did you fully wind watch.If you are not wearing 24/7 how is the watch resting while off wrist how are you testing your watch what is you method.

Did I read this in a Tudor manual somewhere.....??? Watch wearing activity must be covered somewhere....I don't recall...
Old 2 December 2013, 12:30 PM   #45
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Hi Peter,
It's now 40 seconds fast. I've had it on non stop since I started this thread. Sleep with it, I use my hands quite a bit when I'm not sleeping. Time.Gov is the only way I've tested it. Fully wound when I started the thread on the 27th of November @ 22:00 hrs. I sleep about 6-7 hours a night.

I always sleep with my watch(s) on
Thank you
Old 2 December 2013, 10:58 PM   #46
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeOnMyHands View Post
Well I suggest that Rolex has a tad more experience in mechanical watches than any invested, long term WIS, and since they engineer, build and market the product, why do they make NO mention of break in - or any such requirement?? If it TRuly effected the accuracy of their product would in not be in their best interests to cover a 'break in' if it was in any way necessary?

Break in to me means; don't over rev your new engine, watch the temp, break the engine in during cooler temps when possible, change the oil after the first 100 miles, no speed shifting...etc., etc. I understand that higher end cars, SLR McClaren Benz, Bugatti, Ferrari, etc., no longer have break in periods as they are run in before delivery.

I agree that engines, (subject to varying temps, strains and loads) do require certain break in procedures, even my Stihl chainsaws did...but a micro-mechanical machine such as a watch movement. Ah....no. Which is why Rolex makes ZERO mention of this. Watch movements either keep good time when the leave the desk of the watchmaker or they don't.

It appears your glass is full. And that drawn out engine comparison....
I think you are trying way too hard.
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2013, 11:00 PM   #47
Tudor Fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nidal View Post
Black Bay is not COSC watch period. You are not going to get same quality you get spending 8k for 3k
...Whatever you need to tell yourself to justify blowing that extra cash....
Tudor Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2013, 11:16 PM   #48
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Hi Peter,
It's now 40 seconds fast. I've had it on non stop since I started this thread. Sleep with it, I use my hands quite a bit when I'm not sleeping. Time.Gov is the only way I've tested it. Fully wound when I started the thread on the 27th of November @ 22:00 hrs. I sleep about 6-7 hours a night.

I always sleep with my watch(s) on
Thank you
Myself would take it off at night there is no need to wear 24/7,try resting watch at night off wrist rest watch vertical crown up that in general slows them down.And even when worn it will do no harm to give watch a full wind say once a week but don't be in to much of a hurry to get the back off.Check time daily once only write down the daily gain then average it out over 5 days.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 2 December 2013, 11:57 PM   #49
shoe-bop
"TRF" Member

Mine was running hot when I got it a couple of months ago and it never settled in. I took it to the dealership I purchased it from and had it regulated and now it's +2 sec./day.
shoe-bop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2013, 11:46 AM   #50
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

Update: It's now 50 seconds fast after 116 hours. I'll take it off while sleeping and rest it with the crown up tonight. First time in 12 years not sleeping with my watch on.

Minor issue, if it needs regulation I purchased it from one of the grey dealers here with the card not filled out it does have a dealer stamp from Israel. And I don't want to take it to the AD here in Summerlin cause the watch maker is a POS. It's still under warranty of course.
Old 3 December 2013, 12:14 PM   #51
lig
"TRF" Member

Watch: Enthusiast
I've actually never timed any of my mechanical watches. They get rotated so often that unless it's grossly off I would never know...
lig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2013, 12:45 AM   #52
CSM
"TRF" Member

Watch: ap,rolex,pam,jlc
brother, you should take your watch to your AD and have it adjusted by rolex. i have a BB and it's +/- + 3sec/day. but i have a jlc that was almost 1 minut slow/day when i bought it. I had it adjusted under warranty. it is not a problem from tudor itself, it can happen with any brand. even the better ones.

regards
CSM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2013, 11:16 AM   #53
Runnin' Rebel
"TRF" Member

60 seconds fast over 6 days

Alright, gained another 10 seconds after resting vertical crown up while sleeping, 7 hours. So after 6 days it's exactly 60 seconds fast now. I haven't wound it or set it.

I'm not in a hurry to send it in so I'll give it a month or so to settle down. By then it shouldn't be so excitable to be on my wrist.
Old 1 January 2014, 04:45 AM   #54
Gary Busey
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor Black Bay
get it regulated. mine was 10 secs sllow a day. now its 0, and been like that for a while after regulation
Doxa Sub 200, SKX009
Aquastar Deepstar
Gary Busey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 05:09 AM   #55
mike
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Busey View Post
get it regulated. mine was 10 secs sllow a day. now its 0, and been like that for a while after regulation
That's all it is. It just needs regulated.

There was an interesting article in Watchtime a couple months ago about the Black Bay they tested. The watch ran +13 sec. It was regulated fast.

Mine runs about as spot on as can be and has done so right out of the box.

A simple regulation sounds like all the watch needs.
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 06:50 AM   #56
affalterbach
"TRF" Member

Watch: Seiko SUN065P1
Sounds like an AP. At least you'll never be late.
affalterbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 07:19 AM   #57
jctrolex
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675
My BB gained minutes over a 24 hour period. My AD thought it was magnetized but the problem did not get rectified after he de-magnetized it. They then regulated it and it ran fine afterwards. I don't know if it runs within COSC but it seems to be accurate enough every time I checked it against my cell phone. I wouldn't sweat it too much just send it back to the AD and get it regulated. The BB is a great watch at any level, just enjoy it!

Last edited by jctrolex; 1 January 2014 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Spelling
jctrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2014, 06:13 PM   #58
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Quote:
Alright, gained another 10 seconds after resting vertical crown up while sleeping, 7 hours. So after 6 days it's exactly 60 seconds fast now. I haven't wound it or set it.

I'm not in a hurry to send it in so I'll give it a month or so to settle down. By then it shouldn't be so excitable to be on my wrist.
So your watch is still 99.990% accurate at the moment myself believe you are reading far too much into a few seconds out of 86400 in a day.And instead of enjoying your watch you are worrying over a few seconds.Life too short to worry over such little things like few seconds out of 86400 in a day.Leave it you have plenty of time to have it regulated,its not something major.And most any watchmaker could regulate it, but even at +10 seconds its still a very accurate watch, consistency is the most important.

ICom Pro3

www.mc0yad.club

Old 1 January 2014, 06:37 PM   #59
zama
"TRF" Member

Watch: 4 Broken glass
My old Tag Heuer Chrono (manual wind) used to gain about 5 minutes ever 3 days, my solution, wind it back every few days, I appreciate the role of a watch is to keep accurate time but my life is not judged by seconds. A watch that runs fast is always better than slow, reduces the chances of being late for a meeting. I guess if it is critical then regulation is the key. I wear a watch more for aesthetics, given my iphone is with me almost all day and seems to know the time and date accurately.

Personally I am more concerned about the quality of the Lume so I can see the time at night!
zama is offline   Reply With Quote