The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Classifieds > WatchOut!!!

Old 24 February 2017, 11:47 PM   #1
oystertime
2024 Pledge Member

Help - Has anyone seemed this type of Air-King dial fonts?

Hi Gents,
Has anyone seemed this type of Air-King dial fonts? Last photo is the normal Air-King fonts for comparison.

Thanks!

oystertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2017, 12:12 AM   #2
offrdmania
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Looks like a redial to me and someone forgot to change the font
Old 25 February 2017, 12:36 AM   #3
oystertime
2024 Pledge Member

Thanks the follow up Matt!

It seemed like an unusual Air-King fonts dial different than most common Air-King dials out there.

Are these re-dial? incorrect dial? Did someone or Rolex forgot to changed the fonts during printing?

Old 25 February 2017, 01:14 AM   #4
joe100

Watch: Explorer
That is a known refinish font. No question.

A company in Asia refinished a huge number of AK dials years ago, so many in fact they have become quite common. They aren't original.
Old 25 February 2017, 01:32 AM   #5
oystertime
2024 Pledge Member

Hi Joe, thanks for the info. This is new to me.

So you are saying the word of "Air-King" on the dial refinished fonts or the whole dial refinished?

Here is another Air-King with original certificate paper, so you are saying someone erased the normal "Air-King" fonts and refinished the dial with an unusual fonts in question?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROLEX-AIR-KI...p2047675.l2557

Here are the photos from the link above:

Old 25 February 2017, 01:47 AM   #6
offrdmania

He is saying the whole dial is refinished. It may not even be a real Rolex dial to begin with.
Old 25 February 2017, 02:07 AM   #7
oystertime
2024 Pledge Member

Matt,
For certain it's strange fonts. A whole dial refinished?

What about this with original paper?

http://www.network54.com/Forum/26106...ted+by+fumanku
Old 25 February 2017, 02:24 AM   #8
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Don't be misled by something with papers. Sadly, there's more than a few unscrupulous sellers out there with a myriad of fake Rolexes, fake Rolex parts, fake Rolex boxes, fake Rolex dials, and, yes, a ton of fake Rolex papers.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2017, 02:35 AM   #9
motoikkyu
2024 Pledge Member

No disrespect is intended and if others have different experiences, I am absolutely willing to stand corrected BUT I have never in thirty-plus years seen a partially-refinished dial where the alteration was not immediately obvious. This excludes black dials that were chipped around the edges and filled in with felt marker. When a dial is refinished, in my experience, the whole dial is refinished.
Old 25 February 2017, 02:36 AM   #10
oystertime
2024 Pledge Member

Hi Andy,
Thanks for your follow up. Fully aware there are many fakes of everything out there.

I am here to learn about this strange fonts Air-King dial. What's your take on this unusual "Air-King" fonts dial in question? Fake? whole dial refinished? only "Air-King" dial refinished?

Thanks!
Old 25 February 2017, 03:53 AM   #11
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by oystertime View Post
Hi Andy,
Thanks for your follow up. Fully aware there are many fakes of everything out there.

I am here to learn about this strange fonts Air-King dial. What's your take on this unusual "Air-King" fonts dial in question? Fake? whole dial refinished? only "Air-King" dial refinished?

Thanks!
I am no expert, so what I say should be regarded w some levity. But, and as PRJ pointed out, I agree that whether some of the dial (the Air-King font in this case), or all of the dial has been refinished, then it should be regarded as a refinished dial. Not sure what more needs to be said.
Kingface66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2017, 04:12 AM   #12
oystertime
2024 Pledge Member

Andy,
What do you think about this same fonts "Air-King" in questions with original certificate paper? Nothing look incorrect to me.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/26106...ted+by+fumanku

Photos from above link - credit to Eric Ku.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
I am no expert, so what I say should be regarded w some levity. But, and as PRJ pointed out, I agree that whether some of the dial (the Air-King font in this case), or all of the dial has been refinished, then it should be regarded as a refinished dial. Not sure what more needs to be said.
Old 25 February 2017, 09:17 AM   #13
Old Expat Beast
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: SEIKO
OP started this thread at my suggestion after I removed his ad for the AK shown in the first post, on suspicion of dial being redone or fake. Thanks for the input guys.
Old Expat Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2017, 09:36 AM   #14
joe100

Oystertime,

Those are refinished dials, completely. That is not a rolex AK font, never has been. I have a lot of experience with all of the references of the AK and I know Adam will back me up on this. There really isn't a version of the 140XX dials I haven't run across but I know for a fact these are refinished but like I said above, so many were done that they've become somewhat common.
Old 25 February 2017, 09:41 AM   #15
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe100 View Post
Oystertime,

Those are refinished dials, completely. That is not a rolex AK font, never has been. I have a lot of experience with all of the references of the AK and I know Adam will back me up on this. There really isn't a version of the 140XX dials I haven't run across but I know for a fact these are refinished but like I said above, so many were done that they've become somewhat common.
Old 25 February 2017, 12:12 PM   #16
NHHK
"TRF" Member

Is Oystertime not really trying to understand and just trying to up the value of a sale... but failing miserably because of the quality of the answers? Interesting thread ~ strange context :)

Sent from my SM-G9250 using Tapatalk
NHHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 February 2017, 12:31 PM   #17
Old Expat Beast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHHK View Post
Is Oystertime not really trying to understand and just trying to up the value of a sale... but failing miserably because of the quality of the answers? Interesting thread ~ strange context :)

Sent from my SM-G9250 using Tapatalk
As mentioned above, I suggested that he post the watch here when he questioned the reason for my removal of it from the sales section recently. Getting further expert opinions seemed like a fair option, but so far it's not looking good for the OP.
Old 26 February 2017, 01:09 AM   #18
Lamone
Banned

Watch: ya mawt!
I've seen this font on logo and non-logo dials. To me it's authentic and not refinished. In my opinion, this font variation can be attributed to a different dial manufacturer(s).
Lamone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 February 2017, 01:14 AM   #19
offrdmania

Im curious to know what the back of these dials look like
Old 26 February 2017, 02:43 PM   #20
oystertime
2024 Pledge Member

Adam,
Not to disrespect with anyone's knowledge or experience here. I have seemed many times so called experts being wrong when comes to Rolex.

Certainly, this type of "Air-King" fonts is different than most normal standard Air-King fonts, i strongly disagreed it's called a refinished dial. It's good we can learn about this type of dial and they are out there. I have emailed you a few example of this type of fonts with original certificate paper as a back up explanation (also posted on these photos on the thread so everyone can see). I am happy to own these watches(they came from different owners),and i don't see any sign of being a refinished dial.

More importantly, it's a good thread to discuss this type of Air-King unusual fonts for the benefit of the Rolex communities for future reference, i am sure we will see more of this type of Air-King.

It's a good call to have the sales ad removed when something like this arised, but i disagreed it's called a refinished dial.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Expat Beast View Post
As mentioned above, I suggested that he post the watch here when he questioned the reason for my removal of it from the sales section recently. Getting further expert opinions seemed like a fair option, but so far it's not looking good for the OP.
Old 26 February 2017, 03:42 PM   #21
Old Expat Beast

Moving to Watchout section for more opinions.
Old 26 February 2017, 04:14 PM   #22
oystertime
2024 Pledge Member

Yes, both logo and non logo dials. They are out there.

If these Air-King refinished dial problem that wide-spread as mentioned then whole Rolex community should have known about this, yet seems nobody knows.

Well, you have different dial manufactures, subcontractors, special double names and logo dials, that making thing more complicated. For example - double names dials don't printed by Rolex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamone View Post
I've seen this font on logo and non-logo dials. To me it's authentic and not refinished. In my opinion, this font variation can be attributed to a different dial manufacturer(s).
Old 26 February 2017, 05:31 PM   #23
oystertime
2024 Pledge Member

Joe,
I think about your statement and labeled this type of fonts are refinished dials. I strongly disagree with your opinion/statement. I have decided to write to follow up with you and to defend my watches(the non logo dial Air-king in question and the Domino's pizza Air-King that both the same fonts) and perhaps others also owning the same fonts Air-Kings. Because if i don't do this then people will automatically accepting and believing these are refinished dial which they are not.

I don't know you and never have doubts on your knowledge and experiences or with any disrespectful. I did my best provided a few other examples of watches with the same type of fonts in question with original certificate paper as back-up explanation, i don't see any signs of these dials being refinished.

More than many times, i have seemed Rolex experts were wrong on many topics in discussions. Since you have mentioned these refinished dials such in such wide-spread phenomena, yet seems to me that the whole Rolex community not really known about it? When you called out this type of dials being refinished, if you can provide some more details or evidences if not proof of such refinished dials for the benefit of the Rolex community?

Thanks!

Quote:
Oystertime,

Old 26 February 2017, 10:56 PM   #24
joe100

Quote:
Joe,
I think about your statement and labeled this type of fonts are refinished dials. I strongly disagree with your opinion/statement. I have decided to write to follow up with you and to defend my watches(the non logo dial Air-king in question and the Domino's pizza Air-King that both the same fonts) and perhaps others also owning the same fonts Air-Kings. Because if i don't do this then people will automatically accepting and believing these are refinished dial which they are not.

I don't know you and never have doubts on your knowledge and experiences or with any disrespectful. I did my best provided a few other examples of watches with the same type of fonts in question with original certificate paper as back-up explanation, i don't see any signs of these dials being refinished.

More than many times, i have seemed Rolex experts were wrong on many topics in discussions. Since you have mentioned these refinished dials such in such wide-spread phenomena, yet seems to me that the whole Rolex community not really known about it? When you called out this type of dials being refinished, if you can provide some more details or evidences if not proof of such refinished dials for the benefit of the Rolex community?

Thanks!
Well, when you've had your articles on the airking published, then you can disagree with me all you want. You're trying to support your sale if the watch as original and they aren't. Just because you say something, doesn't make it fact, especially when you're just mad that a mod called you out.

Now it's school time.

How do I know? well first off none of these dials ever appeared in ANY rolex advertising, brochures, or master catalogs. Also, this same exact reprint appears on dial colors that were never, ever, ever, ever available. So if A=B and B=C, the damn things are refinished.

If you want to prove this, show me in a 1990-2005 rolex master catalog and I'll apologize and buy the watch from you myself.

Some examples of refinished dials:

The burden is on YOU to find me examples of purple, yellow, and red dial AKs with that font, in any, I mean ANY rolex advertising, catalogs, brochures, etc. Or just that font, on any color dial, anywhere in a rolex publication.

They. Are. Refinished. And so is yours.
Old 27 February 2017, 08:02 AM   #25
TimeToGo

Joe, I think you've done a little writing the past..

http://www.rolexmagazine.com/2013/07...-air-king.html
TimeToGo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27 February 2017, 10:13 AM   #26
Old Expat Beast

Thanks again Joe.
Old 27 February 2017, 12:18 PM   #27
joe100

No problem!

If it walks like a duck.... as the old saying goes
Old 27 February 2017, 12:42 PM   #28
T. Ferguson
"TRF" Member

IMHO, the debate was essentially dead as soon as Joe chimed in.
Old 27 February 2017, 03:35 PM   #29
oystertime
2024 Pledge Member

Joe,
Thanks for taking the time to response. I am not mad at Adam or upsetting with anyone. I am actually happy and glad to have this thread up for discussion.
Thanks for the lesson, most already aware of those 5500 15xx caliber refinished colored dials out there that you have shown - I personally don't like them too whether it's the refinished color or the fonts. What i referring to was about the 140xx references with this type of fonts that the Rolex community seems not know about. I guess at this point, they are not making any differences. Thanks again!

Quote:
Well, when you've had your articles on the airking published, then you can disagree with me all you want. You're trying to support your sale if the watch as original and they aren't. Just because you say something, doesn't make it fact, especially when you're just mad that a mod called you out.

Now it's school time.

How do I know? well first off none of these dials ever appeared in ANY rolex advertising, brochures, or master catalogs. Also, this same exact reprint appears on dial colors that were never, ever, ever, ever available. So if A=B and B=C, the damn things are refinished.

If you want to prove this, show me in a 1990-2005 rolex master catalog and I'll apologize and buy the watch from you myself.

Some examples of refinished dials:

The burden is on YOU to find me examples of purple, yellow, and red dial AKs with that font, in any, I mean ANY rolex advertising, catalogs, brochures, etc. Or just that font, on any color dial, anywhere in a rolex publication.

They. Are. Refinished. And so is yours.
Old 28 February 2017, 12:47 AM   #30
offrdmania

Quote:
Joe,
Thanks for taking the time to response. I am not mad at Adam or upsetting with anyone. I am actually happy and glad to have this thread up for discussion.
Thanks for the lesson, most already aware of those 5500 15xx caliber refinished colored dials out there that you have shown - I personally don't like them too whether it's the refinished color or the fonts. What i referring to was about the 140xx references with this type of fonts that the Rolex community seems not know about. I guess at this point, they are not making any differences. Thanks again!
The Rolex community is fully aware of them. Its the cheat sellers and unsuspecting new buyers that are keeping them alive. None of us would ever buy one and most likely those in the know wouldn't buy one either.
They are eBay special dials. We see them quite often pop up from time to time by someone buying their first Rolex who doesn't know any better. Most of the time only because it was the only one they could afford. Usually the fake dial model is priced hundreds less. Unfortunately, we have to tell them that the dial is a fake and sometimes other cost saving components are fake as well. Why do you keep trying to convince yourself that these dials are real? They are fake, accept it.
Same goes for the illusive Tudor red Ranger. They are littered everywhere on eBay. Doesnt mean they are real. Tudor has never made a real red Ranger. Dials are 100% fake. They pop up on here all the time for evaluation.