The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 16 May 2019, 10:34 PM   #1
Glosstritium
Banned

Polish or leave alone?

So I posted this on a earlier thread and now I need your humble opinion...

What you guys suggest? Send it to get its chamfers back or keep wearing it as is... Funny though after only 2 times this watch ever had a movement service in 35 years it would get a slight polish and before the internet days I never paid attention to chamfers just enjoyed as is... This model was not like the old 1680 with huge chamfers, these 16800 and newer had such a slight chamfer that was easy to polish away even if you breath on it lol..

If I do decide to put chamfers on I just would want to make the line on the side and brushed top, wouldn't want anything else polished... But then I feel like it takes away from the authenticity if I recut it or you guys think it won't and i should do it? Thanks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glosstritium View Post
Been with me and the family from day one 35 years ago, bought at a Rolex dealer in 1984 reference 16800 with the gloss dial... All original and movement serviced only twice at a family friend who is a watchmaker and never was sent to Rolex.. Serviced in 94 and again Sept 2018.. Running +.89 seconds a day...

Pic at the office...

Pic with original crystal with alot of corner chips and insert scuffed up from the bangs..

Pic swimming in the pool...

Glosstritium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 10:42 PM   #2
faimag
"TRF" Member

Watch: Reverso
You talk about chamfers but nowhere in your pics can we see them in order to give you our opinion!!!
faimag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 10:48 PM   #3
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

This is going to be entirely a matter of you own personal taste.
Old 16 May 2019, 10:49 PM   #4
Hub6152
Banned

Dong obsess with minor things. Leave well alone. Too many messed about with watches appearing everywhere lately. Nothing is original anymore!!
Hub6152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 11:06 PM   #5
swish77
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the time!
The watch has already been polished several times, so it wouldn't hurt to do a case restoration. If it were my watch, I would have no problem sending it to LAWW to have them try to "fix" the case.
swish77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 11:07 PM   #6
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
Quote:
Originally Posted by faimag View Post
You talk about chamfers but nowhere in your pics can we see them in order to give you our opinion!!!
The first two pictures give a great angle showing where the chamfers are/were.
Kingface66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 11:31 PM   #7
BigBlue1
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: it pal !
Balls in your court. Personally I would just send it to LAWW get their opinion and go with that unless of course you know what you want.
They do a fantastic job and I trust their input.
I have already had a watch serviced by them and another currently being serviced at their spa.
Depends on what you want the watch to represent. Do you want it to talk or do you want it to pop?
Any who. Whatever you choose I agree.

Hypochondria is the only disease I haven't got
RIP Mikey
BigBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 11:35 PM   #8
STEELINOX
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: ROLEX-less atm...
Restore "just" the chamfer and leave the lug decks alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

*Positive Waves Baby*
Lug Hole Loyalist / Chamfer Line Inspector
INFORTHE WIN
STEELINOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 May 2019, 11:45 PM   #9
Glosstritium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEELINOX View Post
Restore "just" the chamfer and leave the lug decks alone.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Please explain what lug decks are just curious
Old 16 May 2019, 11:50 PM   #10
77T

He is referring to the tops.

At 5’ it doesn’t matter. But if it’s bothering you go ahead and use RSC if you want factory spec’d work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 12:12 AM   #11
rmlovett1

Watch: YTBD
I’d leave and enjoy...
rmlovett1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 12:33 AM   #12
Franks07
2024 Pledge Member

Start with the reality that the vast majority of vintage Rolex have been polished at least once in their lifetime as a by-product of a servicing by Rolex or anyone else
The issue then becomes how invasive or incompetent the previous polishing(s) were and how much metal is left to possibly correct the previous work (I.e. restore chamfers).
To me it doesn’t make sense to just leave a previous poor polishing job as is anymore than say leaving a poorly executed hair styling as is if there is plenty of hair left to have corrective work done.
Each to their own of course on this highly controversial issue of polishing or not.
Pictured is my Submariner 5513 MK1 that had previously been poorly polished (likely only once) with the chamfers being lost BUT very thick lugs remaining. After consultation with Beau and Edvi at LAWW I decided to go with a correct polishing (not a “case recut”) to restore the original case geometry (chamfers) and am extremely happy with the outcome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Franks07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 01:52 AM   #13
STEELINOX

Quote:
Please explain what lug decks are just curious

The top part of the lugs...

*Positive Waves Baby*
INFORTHE WIN
Old 17 May 2019, 02:23 AM   #14
Tom1675
"TRF" Member

I haven't read any responses and only read the headline and looked at one pic. Do not polish. I dont have anything against an expertly applied light polish but only wen necessary. I dont think you're there. Chamfers only at most.
Tom1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 03:06 AM   #15
1665fan
"TRF" Member

No polish
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 03:44 AM   #16
Mrpupsi
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks07 View Post
Start with the reality that the vast majority of vintage Rolex have been polished at least once in their lifetime as a by-product of a servicing by Rolex or anyone else
The issue then becomes how invasive or incompetent the previous polishing(s) were and how much metal is left to possibly correct the previous work (I.e. restore chamfers).
To me it doesn’t make sense to just leave a previous poor polishing job as is anymore than say leaving a poorly executed hair styling as is if there is plenty of hair left to have corrective work done.
Each to their own of course on this highly controversial issue of polishing or not.
Pictured is my Submariner 5513 MK1 that had previously been poorly polished (likely only once) with the chamfers being lost BUT very thick lugs remaining. After consultation with Beau and Edvi at LAWW I decided to go with a correct polishing (not a “case recut”) to restore the original case geometry (chamfers) and am extremely happy with the outcome.

If you don’t mind me asking, what do LAWW charge for something like that?
Mrpupsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 06:56 AM   #17
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
This is an individual choice. Contrary to all the "no polish" freaks around here and elsewhere, I can attest from my many years of collecting/selling that very few individuals like ratty old watch cases or even dials with ratty old hands.

What all the "no polish" freaks never tell you is the "no polish" watches in above average to excellent condition are watches that sell, which is what the collectors want. Not many of these "unpolished" for sale watches fit this definition of being in above average to excellent condition.

Unpolished watches in below average condition, especially the classics, don't sell well and don't bring too many smiles to anyone's lips. While some sellers offer them at premium prices, that price is rarely if ever attained during a sale.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a polished watch. Everyone wants a perfect watch, and if someone says they don't, they're only fooling themselves.

You can believe whomever you choose - but in the end, it's your decision and your watch.

One last comment. The proper terminology is, and should be, "refinishing" the case not polishing the case. Most cases when "polished" are returned to or close as possible to the original condition as when new i.e. refinished not polished.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 07:03 AM   #18
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Quote:
Originally Posted by springer View Post
This is an individual choice. Contrary to all the "no polish" freaks around here and elsewhere, I can attest from my many years of collecting/selling that very few individuals like ratty old watch cases or even dials with ratty old hands.

What all the "no polish" freaks never tell you is the "no polish" watches in above average to excellent condition are watches that sell, which is what the collectors want. Not many of these "unpolished" for sale watches fit this definition of being in above average to excellent condition.

Unpolished watches in below average condition, especially the classics, don't sell well and don't bring too many smiles to anyone's lips. while some sellers offer them at premium prices, that price is rarely if ever attained during a sale.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a polished watch. Everyone wants a perfect watch, and if someone says they don't, they're only fooling themselves.

You can believe whomever you choose - but in the end, it's your decision and your watch.
This is a great post! Along with the silliness the Rolex market has experienced over the last few years, has come this silliness regarding polishing and restoration. Most of the people discussing and advising against polishing are referring to beat up, non “investment grade” pieces.
I find many of the old watches which have been freshened up to be much more appealing to the eye than some of the neglected pieces which people are afraid to clean up.
Old 17 May 2019, 07:16 AM   #19
tkc324
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona AP DD Sub
I would totally leave that alone. Doesn't look bad to me and still can see a very slight chamfer...
tkc324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 08:11 AM   #20
stewester
"TRF" Member

Entirely your decision. I don’t see an issue with giving an already-polished watch a better polish/refinish. Just make sure you use someone who really knows what they’re doing.
stewester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 08:16 AM   #21
roh123
"TRF" Member

Watch: Gilt Rolex
I’d rather spend that money getting an untouched piece with a case of your liking. Sell this and take your refinish money on top and I think you can find a perfect watch that you like.

I understand the will to have it fixed but in the end I think you would enjoy that perfect one much more than your fixed one. Money shouldn’t be much different on such a 16800. It is just a bit of extra work selling your old one and finding a new one. Great examples of this reference is not an impossible find.

Best of luck!
Old 17 May 2019, 08:28 AM   #22
116710er
"TRF" Member

Watch: yer six.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franks07 View Post
Quote:

Unpolished watches in below average condition, especially the classics, don't sell well and don't bring too many smiles to anyone's lips. While some sellers offer them at premium prices, that price is rarely if ever attained during a sale.

Some very good points here. I too see no reason to not polished a previously polished watch or an overly ratty one. I would definitely avoid any place that does heavy handed polishing but places like LAWW can do incredible polishing jobs (from light to full case angle correction). I think the "no polish evaaarrrrrrrr!" crowd is a little over the top.
116710er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 08:34 AM   #23
Glosstritium
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roh123 View Post
I’d rather spend that money getting an untouched piece with a case of your liking. Sell this and take your refinish money on top and I think you can find a perfect watch that you like.

I understand the will to have it fixed but in the end I think you would enjoy that perfect one much more than your fixed one. Money shouldn’t be much different on such a 16800. It is just a bit of extra work selling your old one and finding a new one. Great examples of this reference is not an impossible find.

Best of luck!
Did you read my post its been 35 years since brand new with the family and I inherited it 25 years ago , you think I should still sell it and get another?
Old 17 May 2019, 10:03 AM   #24
STEELINOX

Quote:
Did you read my post its been 35 years since brand new with the family and I inherited it 25 years ago , you think I should still sell it and get another?
No, keep it; and finding a "perfect example" is preposterous!

*Positive Waves Baby*
INFORTHE WIN
Old 17 May 2019, 10:31 AM   #25
Boaters
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116610LV 16710 SD
Quote:

One last comment. The proper terminology is, and should be, "refinishing" the case not polishing the case. Most cases when "polished" are returned to or close as possible to the original condition as when new i.e. refinished not polished.
Touche JP .. That only makes perfect sense
Boaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 May 2019, 10:47 AM   #26
JoMills
Banned

I would leave it as is and enjoy.
JoMills is offline   Reply With Quote