The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 27 May 2019, 04:14 AM   #1
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Cartier Tank vs Patek Gondolo

I need (want) a rectangular watch and am torn between a rose gold Cartier Tank Solo XL or a similar 5124 Gondolo. While Patek is Patek, the Cartier Tank has a far richer history of 100 years than the Gondolo line. The Tank was designed by Louis Cartier and his the market prior to the great depression and was the original rectangular watch. The Tank was worn by General Pershing in WW1, on the wrist of JFK during the Cuban Missile Crisis, worn by Andy Warhol when painting, and on the wrist of Princess Diana when she died. The Tank has real history, which the Gondolo lacks. However, the Gondolo is a Patek Phillipe and the finish, craftsmanship, etc. Is arguably better than the Cartier Tank. But the Gondolo is probably the least popular Patek. The Gondolo case has inspiration from the period and era where the Tank was the gold standard. So, I love Patek, but I do want a tank.... And the Tank Solo XL is quite reasonably priced.

What's your opinion?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg $_86.JPG (72.1 KB, 666 views)
File Type: jpg patek_4878298_crop_86.jpg (226.2 KB, 677 views)
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 04:20 AM   #2
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
Cartier , specially if your “wants” become I am tired of it in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 04:44 AM   #3
Justindo
"TRF" Member

As a watch, I much prefer the looks and quality of the now discontinued Gondolo. You're right that Tank is much more iconic and has much more history than the Gondolo but the two can't really be compared in terms of quality or price, as the Patek is far nicer and far more expensive, especially if you're considering the rose gold Solo XL, which has a stainless steel case back and a simplified case compared to the Louis Cartier series watches. The Tank Louis Cartier Large, which uses a JLC manual movement, is closer in quality and price to the Patek but there's still a pretty big quality and price difference.

If you're torn and can afford the Patek, I would personally go for the Gondolo now and then get the Tank Solo XL in steel, which is a much better buy than the gold version, at a later date. These two watches are different enough that both could have a place in a collection.
Justindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 04:53 AM   #4
soundserious
"TRF" Member

Cartier. Some things never go out of fashion. A Cartier Tank is one of them.
Old 27 May 2019, 05:06 AM   #5
dannyp
Banned

Given your criteria, neither. JLC Reverso may only have an 85 year history, but it would seem to check all of your boxes.

And if you're going to go with a Cartier Tank, at least go for the Louis Cartier version, unless you absolutely must have the size of the Solo XL.
dannyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 05:39 AM   #6
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
^^^^^ exactly. It shows a sense of maturity, a known classic that holds true today, tomorrow... for the next generation.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 12:15 PM   #7
Gaphle
"TRF" Member

Sorry for non patek owner to comment on this. I do also like square watches and used to own santos. Maybe suggest looking at discontinued A Lange & Sohne Cabaret? It has distinct case unique in langes lineups, large jumping date that is very lange, applied roman numerals that I personally like rather than printed cheapish santos dial, very under the radar which many patek lovers like and at somewhat at bargain price.
Gaphle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 03:26 PM   #8
tom2517
"TRF" Member

Cartier, Gondolo besides the Patek name, does nothing for me.
tom2517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 May 2019, 04:42 PM   #9
henrylee
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN Ceramic
Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
Given your criteria, neither. JLC Reverso may only have an 85 year history, but it would seem to check all of your boxes.

And if you're going to go with a Cartier Tank, at least go for the Louis Cartier version, unless you absolutely must have the size of the Solo XL.
I second a JCL reverso
Old 27 May 2019, 06:01 PM   #10
Hendrikus
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: All of them...
Well, I’m biased, as I have both a Gondolo and a JLC Reverso. Two of my favourite pieces. 5124G Gondolo with salmon dial is stunning, IMHO.
Old 28 May 2019, 01:47 AM   #11
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
While I agree, I do not agree that the Solo XL falls into that category. It's just too big to be considered a classic, timeless Tank. Unfortunately, unlike the Ronde Solo, the intermediate size ("large") is only available with a quartz movement.

The size and proportions of the Louis Cartier and Francais are, in my opinion, better, especially in gold.
Old 28 May 2019, 03:09 AM   #12
yoast
"TRF" Member

Although the tank is a classic, I’d take the patek as I don’t like romans
Old 28 May 2019, 03:34 AM   #13
mps354
2024 Pledge Member

Of the two you show, I’d go with the Cartier. However, I like jlc’s reverso the best. As with any rectangular watch, fit can be tricky, so definitely try them on multiple times
mps354 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 May 2019, 03:35 AM   #14
Watch Rob
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114200
Cartier over the Patek. Love those Romans .
Watch Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 12:36 PM   #15
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Yes, the JLC Reverso and the discontinued Lange Cabaret are also good choices worth mentioning. The Reverso's quality is not too far off Patek's and the Caberet bests them all. The moonphase versions of both are gorgeous.
Old 29 May 2019, 12:50 PM   #16
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Tank Louis Cartier extra thin.
Old 29 May 2019, 04:18 PM   #17
A971
"TRF" Member

If you want a classic Cartier, I can understand a vintage one.

But it feels like you need to be born before 1950 to get excited about anything new from the brand. “I got it for 25% off! What a deal!” — likely overheard at an early-bird in South Florida.

Buy what you like. Have fun with it. And check out a Reverso before you pull the trigger.
A971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 May 2019, 11:53 PM   #18
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Here’s the one you need . Love the moon phase-great size, very happy w it for me anyhow, james in San Antonio tx
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 39D9D4A3-2CBE-437A-B92C-5892C5D9751C.jpeg (149.6 KB, 415 views)
File Type: jpeg ADADC7CE-E7D2-4472-ABCD-64C0420FCB0C.jpeg (160.3 KB, 412 views)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:03 AM   #19
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Ps whatever you buy- get a Patek ! Yes they are more money- but for a reason. They are a fine timepiece not to be even compared to a Cartier. Cartier put next to any Patek Gondolo looks cheap imo , plus your Patek will hold its value. Just my thoughts- maybe I am a Patek snob , ha! :-)
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:24 AM   #20
Rsdecker971
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Here’s the one you need . Love the moon phase-great size, very happy w it for me anyhow, james in San Antonio tx
Absolutely agree - the 5135 is a beauty.
Rsdecker971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:40 AM   #21
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Cartier between those two for me.
CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:54 AM   #22
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
I do like the Cartier, but it had its celeb heyday in the 80s and 90s, Diana and Gekko spring to mind, now those same celeb types I see all wearing Rolex or higher brands. Cartier is just a starter brand now as watch wearing has become so conspicuous and popular in the internet age.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:57 AM   #23
dchang81
2024 Pledge Member

Cartier is a classic but I love the gondolo especially at grey or preowned prices (I guess this can be said about any rectangular watch). Really want the 5200 but I'm done for 2019.
dchang81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 01:30 AM   #24
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Yes, the JLC Reverso and the discontinued Lange Cabaret are also good choices worth mentioning. The Reverso's quality is not too far off Patek's and the Caberet bests them all. The moonphase versions of both are gorgeous.
If a moon phase is on the table, don't discount the GP Vintage 1945 XXL. Actually, wait, that should be available at a nice discount ;). See that, see what I did there?
Old 30 May 2019, 05:11 AM   #25
jd57
"TRF" Member

How big does the 5124 wear? Several comments on this wearing large elsewhere - have a big wrist so I like larger watches, but for a regular round dial dress watch would limit to 40mm. Does the 5124 feel/wear in that ballpark?
jd57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 May 2019, 12:46 PM   #26
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyp View Post
If a moon phase is on the table, don't discount the GP Vintage 1945 XXL. Actually, wait, that should be available at a nice discount ;). See that, see what I did there?
Good suggestion! It's a crime for what the GPs sell for used and even new. I'd put them on the same level as Patek in terms of quality. The GP 1945 XXL is too large for me but if one is considering a Tank Solo XL, it could be a great option. The standard version or the moonphase with the big date are both gorgeous pieces.
Old 31 May 2019, 12:56 AM   #27
dannyp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justindo View Post
Good suggestion! It's a crime for what the GPs sell for used and even new. I'd put them on the same level as Patek in terms of quality. The GP 1945 XXL is too large for me but if one is considering a Tank Solo XL, it could be a great option. The standard version or the moonphase with the big date are both gorgeous pieces.
Shhhh. Don't tell anyone, at least not until I save up enough to pull the trigger on a Laureato.

And is the standard still in production, or does GP just not do a good job of keeping its website current with all models? I only see the moon phase version, the same way a handful of the PM Laureatos appear gone after only a year.
Old 31 May 2019, 07:27 AM   #28
ansharma
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lange 1 Moonphase
I own the 5124J and it is my only Patek - one of my favourite watches in my collection, really amazing piece.

Could you stretch to a Gondolo in gold and Cartier in steel which would be a nice combination.

Here are some pictures of my gondolo, love the fitted movement as well as the immaculate applied gold markers. Very low profile on the wrist due to the curved slim case but significant presence on the wrist with large case size.

ansharma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 09:15 AM   #29
jag32
Banned

Watch: PP/AP/BP/UN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansharma View Post
I own the 5124J and it is my only Patek - one of my favourite watches in my collection, really amazing piece.

Could you stretch to a Gondolo in gold and Cartier in steel which would be a nice combination.

Here are some pictures of my gondolo, love the fitted movement as well as the immaculate applied gold markers. Very low profile on the wrist due to the curved slim case but significant presence on the wrist with large case size.

Ugh, why did you have to do that? Now I'm going to do something stupid and buy both!
jag32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 May 2019, 12:02 PM   #30
Justindo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag32 View Post
Ugh, why did you have to do that? Now I'm going to do something stupid and buy both!
That's what I suggested and what I would do if I were in your shoes. A yellow gold Gondolo and a steel Tank Solo would be a great pair.