The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Ω Omega Discussion Forum

Old 18 November 2020, 05:57 PM   #31
ratty
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytonas and Subs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kniazukay View Post
I've been on the search for one of these for quite some time now and I was finally able to come across the right one. The 3572.50 to me is amazing in the fact that it has a hesalite front and sapphire back. I originally went to purchase the sapphire sandwich and when I saw it in person I just couldn't do it... I'm so glad I was patient and found this one. I find myself much more into Omega these days. Not sure if it's the whole Rolex/Patek grey market insanity, or just my natural evolution in collecting, either way I'm pretty pumped on this one. Happy Sunday everyone
Do you have a photo of the front of the watch, I would like to see if there are any differences to the current Hesalite model.

ratty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 November 2020, 07:47 PM   #32
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoscoPico View Post
they are nice. have owned around 5.
my first was 005, loved it and should not have sold
also had 292, 312, 127
and still have 388.
will probably own more again but have been trying to shrink collection and not sure there is room for more than 1.

getting into panerai can be a rabbit hole, like Omega, and interestingly, unlike Rolex - at least for me.
could be the whole lame hype thing, but i think also the size.
Quite the collection you have! And yes, I can absolutely see the potential in the Panerai Rabbit hole haha. As for my collection, I have yet to thin out the herd, but I feel I'm getting there. I've actually never sold a watch. I've given some away, but never sold. Sometimes I fantasize about selling off a bunch and knocking it down to 3 pieces or so... *sigh* things were much simpler when I didn't know that much about watches
Kniazukay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 02:00 AM   #33
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
Quite the collection you have! And yes, I can absolutely see the potential in the Panerai Rabbit hole haha. As for my collection, I have yet to thin out the herd, but I feel I'm getting there. I've actually never sold a watch. I've given some away, but never sold. Sometimes I fantasize about selling off a bunch and knocking it down to 3 pieces or so... *sigh* things were much simpler when I didn't know that much about watches
thank you and good luck.
keep us posted if you decide to change up the collection.
i went from 25 to about 13 and it felt great.
next step is to try for about 6 max i think but i'll have to see
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2020, 02:50 PM   #34
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratty View Post
Do you have a photo of the front of the watch, I would like to see if there are any differences to the current Hesalite model.

Here you go! Not sure if there are any differences. This one is a 1999 so it's a luminova dial. If you find any differences please let me know!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_Nov182020at84919PM.jpg (286.0 KB, 64 views)
Old 19 November 2020, 09:17 PM   #35
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Beautiful congrats,
I’ve been thinking about a Speedy Pro for some time now but after seeing they make the sandwich with hesalite/sapphire I’m going to jump on one.
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 12:38 AM   #36
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Here you go! Not sure if there are any differences. This one is a 1999 so it's a luminova dial. If you find any differences please let me know!
Thanks very much

This is a lovely watch. If there are no differences I presume that the case back off a current Saphire Sandwich would fit straight onto a current Hesalite version? If so, would any other parts be required?

Thanks again.
Old 20 November 2020, 12:46 AM   #37
jumpmaster 175
"TRF" Member

Glad you found the combo you like...I didn't know Omega offered this option.

Now if they would only have a plain caseback and no high polish on the bracelet!
jumpmaster 175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 November 2020, 05:22 AM   #38
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks very much

This is a lovely watch. If there are no differences I presume that the case back off a current Saphire Sandwich would fit straight onto a current Hesalite version? If so, would any other parts be required?

Thanks again.
Thanks so much! I'm not quite sure about the fitment but I do know the movement isn't the same on factory display back movements(Cal. 1863) vs closed back movements (Cal. 1861) in terms of finish. I believe the closed back versions use a delrin or plastic piece (aka the chronograph brake) in the movement and in the display back version they switch this part for a metal piece as well as to make it look nicer along with some more fancy aesthetic finishing as well i.e. circular graining on the baseplate, bridges with Geneve Striping aka Côtes de Genève , as well as polished edges on levers and bridges.
In short, while they perform identically, Caliber 1863 is the luxurious version of Caliber 1861, decorated to be more aesthetically pleasing since it is the movement designed for Speedmasters with display casebacks.
So keep that in mind if you plan to swap case backs on a speedmaster.
Old 20 November 2020, 05:28 AM   #39
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpmaster 175 View Post
Glad you found the combo you like...I didn't know Omega offered this option.

Now if they would only have a plain caseback and no high polish on the bracelet!
While we can't do much about the caseback being plain other than maybe polishing it down to a flat plane which I probably wouldn't advise, there IS however an option for an all brushed bracelet. A very good looking one imo and not to mention there are quite a few options available. If you want an OEM bracelet, the OB's have this available as they offered me some last time I made a visit. They are the original vintage bracelets they used to make but in all brushed finish and it was $400. Also Forstner and Uncle Seiko both offer all brushed options of the flat link look which I prefer over the current bracelet offered on Speedmaster Pro's. Some even with full solid links.
Old 20 November 2020, 05:33 AM   #40
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC6 View Post
Beautiful congrats,
I’ve been thinking about a Speedy Pro for some time now but after seeing they make the sandwich with hesalite/sapphire I’m going to jump on one.
Thanks so much and that's awesome! Not sure how you prefer your pre owned watches but I found I had to be quite patient to find the right one for me as I prefer full sets and in very decent condition. I found the options weren't as plentiful as I had hoped. Best of luck though and enjoy! You'll be so happy when you finally have it! I was one of those who had been thinking of a Speedy Pro for a loooong time (much like yourself) and went back and forth on which one to get and finally I decided on this and as of late, it's the watch I wear most!
Old 20 November 2020, 06:41 AM   #41
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Thanks so much! I'm not quite sure about the fitment but I do know the movement isn't the same on factory display back movements(Cal. 1863) vs closed back movements (Cal. 1861) in terms of finish. I believe the closed back versions use a delrin or plastic piece (aka the chronograph brake) in the movement and in the display back version they switch this part for a metal piece as well as to make it look nicer along with some more fancy aesthetic finishing as well i.e. circular graining on the baseplate, bridges with Geneve Striping aka Côtes de Genève , as well as polished edges on levers and bridges.
In short, while they perform identically, Caliber 1863 is the luxurious version of Caliber 1861, decorated to be more aesthetically pleasing since it is the movement designed for Speedmasters with display casebacks.
So keep that in mind if you plan to swap case backs on a speedmaster.

Thanks very much for this information. I knew the display back version was visibly different to the closed case version, but I didn’t know they were slightly mechanically different, I thought the difference was only in the finishing of some components.

So is the movement in your watch a version of the Cal 1863 ? Perhaps I should say is the 1863 a derivative of the movement in your earlier watch?

Thanks again for your replies . I’m thinking about trying a Moon Watch again and your post and photos are helping me with my decision.
Old 20 November 2020, 10:57 AM   #42
NYC6
"TRF" Member

Watch: SUBMARINER 14060M
Quote:
Thanks so much and that's awesome! Not sure how you prefer your pre owned watches but I found I had to be quite patient to find the right one for me as I prefer full sets and in very decent condition. I found the options weren't as plentiful as I had hoped. Best of luck though and enjoy! You'll be so happy when you finally have it! I was one of those who had been thinking of a Speedy Pro for a loooong time (much like yourself) and went back and forth on which one to get and finally I decided on this and as of late, it's the watch I wear most!
never bought used before but I’ll bet careful and patient, thanks.
NYC6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 November 2020, 04:55 AM   #43
ratty
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I've been on the search for one of these for quite some time now and I was finally able to come across the right one. The 3572.50 to me is amazing in the fact that it has a hesalite front and sapphire back. I originally went to purchase the sapphire sandwich and when I saw it in person I just couldn't do it... I'm so glad I was patient and found this one. I find myself much more into Omega these days. Not sure if it's the whole Rolex/Patek grey market insanity, or just my natural evolution in collecting, either way I'm pretty pumped on this one. Happy Sunday everyone

I hadn't realised how rare these are in the UK!
Old 21 November 2020, 05:39 PM   #44
Kniazukay
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I hadn't realised how rare these are in the UK!
Yes indeed. Funny enough a few years ago there were plenty available and when I finally went to pull the trigger I realized there weren't many at all! I wanted to find a NOS version but that's simply not gonna happen. I'm sure somebody out there has one in the back of the safe but I'm happy with the one I found.
Also mine does have an 1863 caliber in it. Best of luck and if you get one please post it!
Old 22 November 2020, 12:02 AM   #45
ratty
"TRF" Member

Can anyone confirm if the cases for the Hesalite versions are the same as the case for the Sapphire versions of the Speedmaster?

I can’t see why they would be different, but, according to my wife, I have been wrong before!