The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Closed Thread

Old 26 June 2008, 10:03 AM   #1
Green Sub

How easily does the movement corrode in a modern Rolex?

How easily do the components of a modern Rolex movement corrode?

I'm thinking fresh water intrusion.

Are the metals high carbon? Or more rust resistant stainless steel, anodized aluminum, and brass?

Vanessa, I hope your reading this
Old 26 June 2008, 12:01 PM   #2
Vanessa CW21
TechXpert & 2016 Patron

I'm right here!

The movement can rust within hours... Depending on "water" damage or "moisture" damage... If your watch crystal only fogged up, it could be not that bad, but if you got a stream of water inside your watch (any type of water will do) your watch will most likely have extensive corrosion.
The only way to salvage it, it by sending it in ASAP! Or taking it in to a watchmaker. But if there is rust, the watchmaker will have to send it to RSC anyways, because we cannot get all the parts that can be affected by water.
Good luck, and please keep me posted!

Watch my Rolex repair video: https://youtu.be/jDnaotCTpTA
Old 26 June 2008, 12:42 PM   #3
dsimon9

We are the internal components so sensitive to corrosion? Is it a matter money savings, or is it that the materials ideal for the movements also happen to be insensitive to moisture?

Dex
Old 26 June 2008, 12:55 PM   #4
Green Sub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
I'm right here!

Luckily, this hasn't happened to me recently, BUT it did happen to my 1986 TT mid-size DJ with synthetic sapphire crystal around 1998. It was only a "fog-up" of the crystal from a shower where I did not have the twin-lock crown screwed down. The repair costs from the Dallas RSC were not that much above the normal service fee.

What brings this to my mind is the DJ is kinda retired due to my 2 recent Rolex purchases and it hasn't had service since the 1998 fog-up repair and service. It is on a watch winder.

I am considering sending it in for service 1 more time before setting it aside as an heirloom. The watch keeps good time, but I'm just wondering if that water intrusion in 1998 may not make it worth it to service. The original cost of the DJ was $1,995 in 1986.

Thanks so much for replying and you are one great asset to this forum.
Old 26 June 2008, 03:14 PM   #5
BiG JeEzY
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT I/EXP II/DJ
Just to add, if there is water or moisture in the watch, it is best to keep it away from too much exposure to oxygen. In this case oxygen is the movement's worst enemy as it just accelerates the rusting process and damages the movement even further. It can be so bad that the whole movement would have to be overhauled which could cost a couple thousand dollars!

The best way to slow down the oxidation process, is to leave the watch in a AIRTIGHT ziplock bag or any bag of that variety. Keep the watch in that airtight bag as you send it in for service. Having the crown open may help some of the moisture escape from the watch too as its in the bag.
-Vintage Longines Automatic La Grande Classique
-Vintage Seiko 6138 Automatic Chronograph with "Kakume" Dial
Old 26 June 2008, 04:18 PM   #6
entropydave
"TRF" Member

Hmmm.... I am curious as to how under normal circs, even with the crown out, water can get in. My understanding was that they were waterproof to 30m even with the crown unscrewed.
Old 26 June 2008, 04:35 PM   #7
sherwin
"TRF" Member

bollocks waterproof to 30m, my understanding is only triplock has that sort of protection... i took a shower with my crown out and water went in as if i had submurged it in water.
Old 26 June 2008, 05:03 PM   #8
JJ Irani
Fondly Remembered

Watch: ALL SOLD!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
I'm right here!

The movement can rust within hours... Depending on "water" damage or "moisture" damage... If your watch crystal only fogged up, it could be not that bad, but if you got a stream of water inside your watch (any type of water will do) your watch will most likely have extensive corrosion.
The only way to salvage it, it by sending it in ASAP! Or taking it in to a watchmaker. But if there is rust, the watchmaker will have to send it to RSC anyways, because we cannot get all the parts that can be affected by water.
Smart girl, Vanessa.....thank you!!

I firmly believe that my time on planet earth is NOT yet up!! I shall fight this to the very end.......and WIN!!
Old 26 June 2008, 05:06 PM   #9
scottschoe
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiko.citizen View Post
bollocks waterproof to 30m, my understanding is only triplock has that sort of protection... i took a shower with my crown out and water went in as if i had submurged it in water.
With the crown out, there is still a bit of water resistance - don't know how much, never cared to test it. Washing hands with the crown out would probably be fine.
Old 26 June 2008, 05:47 PM   #10
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
My Expy II crown gasket was a bit worn...got some salt water in and it fogged up the dial / crystal......had to change out the dial and hands....the hands corroded badly....and the lume started to fall out.

Now it's true that it took 5 yrs for this to happen...but I never thought it would be an issue.....ooops!

Here the link to my initial post

http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=35940
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
Old 26 June 2008, 05:51 PM   #11
Baptistman
"TRF" Member

Simple answer, don't wait to find out, get it serviced regularly, and always insure the crown is screwed down. Simple as
Old 26 June 2008, 11:33 PM   #12
SPACE-DWELLER
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, of course!
Quote:
Originally Posted by entropydave View Post
Hmmm.... I am curious as to how under normal circs, even with the crown out, water can get in. My understanding was that they were waterproof to 30m even with the crown unscrewed.
As Jon states, if you make sure that the seals and gaskets are exchanged regularly, you'd not run into that problem. If you have a diver's watch and often dive with it, seals and gaskets should be exchanged every ~ 1˝ years. Under normal wearing conditions exchange of gaskets and seals is not necessary before the watch gets serviced every ~ 5th. year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seiko.citizen View Post
I guess you took the advice to wash your Rolex too literally.

LocTite 221: The Taming Of The Screw...
Old 26 June 2008, 11:37 PM   #13
Andad
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Well Bo,

IMO
If you changed the gaskets every 1.5 years your Rolex would either be going to or coming back from your RSC and you WOULD NOT BE ENJOYING OWNERSHIP.
Enjoy wearing your Rolex and don't worry too much about the water resistance unless , of course, you are diving to 300 metres every day.

Old 27 June 2008, 12:17 AM   #14
sherwin
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottschoe View Post
With the crown out, there is still a bit of water resistance - don't know how much, never cared to test it. Washing hands with the crown out would probably be fine.
i was having a shower which made me think, the pressure is about same as washing hands, so it should be ok even if i had accidentally left it open.

Prior to that, I was swimming and with the crown locked, it was tight as usual. Even though the last service was exactly 7yrs ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPACE-DWELLER View Post
(...)
I guess you took the advice to wash your Rolex too literally.
It is not a habit to wear my watch whilst at home. I usually have a habit of taking my watch off even to wash my hands , but ovbiously I didnt want to remove my watch for fear that it might be dropped onto bathroom marble
Old 27 June 2008, 01:05 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
While there is some brass and sometimes the bridges and main movement framework can be plated, the majority of small parts in a watch are freshly machined steel.

That fresh virgin metal will begin to rust if left exposed to the air, so if seals are compromised, just the ambient air entering the watch could have enough moisture content to start the rust process.

If water gets in the case, these parts will start the oxidation (rust) process almost immediately.

Here are a few parts from inside an Omega and you can see a brass center wheel, but the pinion, gears, and pallet, etc. are steel.
Old 27 June 2008, 02:33 AM   #16
CPTL
"TRF" Member

Watch: Sub Date; SS/WG DJ
Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG JeEzY View Post
Just to add, if there is water or moisture in the watch, it is best to keep it away from too much exposure to oxygen.
So that's simple enough. If water gets in the case of your Rolex, immediately blast yourself into outer space. No O2, no rust!!

16610 Submariner Date; D Serial
16234 DateJust SS with WG Fluted Bezel & Jubillee, White Roman Dial; F Serial
16570 Explorer II White Dial; M Serial

And Hers: 78240 Mid-Size DateJust SS with Domed Bezel & Oyster, White Roman; D Serial
Old 27 June 2008, 03:38 AM   #17
Toxicant
"TRF" Member

I went swimming in the gulf of Mexco and when I got out I checked the time and the whole watch was full of water. I screwed the crown down and took it up to the condo and opened up the crown again and put it in a glass of water. Waited until no more bubbles and removed it from the water and shook it until nothing more came out, did that about 20 times.

Then I took the watch down to my car and pulled a vacuum line off my engine and pushed it over the crown and let the engine suck all the water out. The next day the crystal was cloody so I popped it in the freezer overnight and the next day it was fine

When I got home and had it serviced the watch maker said it looked fine inside.

ALWAYS check your crown before swimming.
Old 27 June 2008, 09:00 AM   #18
Green Sub

When I saw the fogged up crystal I opened the crown and used a hair dryer to heat the watch up, hoping any moisture would evaporate.

I don't know if this was a good or bad idea.

The crystal did clear up and off to the Dallas RSC it went.

I do remember that the RSC service ticket was nothing out of the ordinary.
Old 27 June 2008, 10:17 AM   #19
pwrslider
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxicant View Post
I went swimming in the gulf of Mexco and when I got out I checked the time and the whole watch was full of water. I screwed the crown down and took it up to the condo and opened up the crown again and put it in a glass of water. Waited until no more bubbles and removed it from the water and shook it until nothing more came out, did that about 20 times.

Then I took the watch down to my car and pulled a vacuum line off my engine and pushed it over the crown and let the engine suck all the water out. The next day the crystal was cloody so I popped it in the freezer overnight and the next day it was fine

When I got home and had it serviced the watch maker said it looked fine inside.

ALWAYS check your crown before swimming.

McIver...I applaud you!!!!

.....btw...good and quick thinking....I think I would have sat down on the beach...had a good cry...and walk directly to the nearest AD and buy something new!!!
Rolex Explorer II Blk (91)
Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish (07)
Panerai 104 & 177ti ( 04/03)
Old 27 June 2008, 10:42 AM   #20
RW16610
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710LN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baptistman View Post
Simple answer, don't wait to find out, get it serviced regularly, and always insure the crown is screwed down. Simple as
Have to agree with the obvious here
Old 28 May 2009, 05:42 AM   #21
sexner
"TRF" Member

Watch: 169622, 124060
I find it amazing the amount of people on this post that carry on with their crowns unscrewed?! WTF are you people thinking?? I hope they don't drive like they look after their watches.
Old 11 July 2009, 07:43 AM   #22
Rikki
TechXpert

Watch: 5512 s/s Sub
All watches for the most part use steel parts and if you spritz them with water you can literally watch them rust before your eyes I mean in less than 20 minutes rust will form. Saltwater is deadly and can destroy a movement beyond repair. As an independant with a Rolex parts account there are no parts internally I can't get but dials are out of the question unless you have a contact for used original Rolex dials which I have. Movement plates and some bridges are nickel over brass and don't corrode but the parts that do and come in contact with these bridges will leave surface rust on them that will usually come of with a fine brass wheel. All in all keep your watch well maintaned and you will never have to find out how fast they can rust enough said. Rik the watchmaker
Old 19 August 2014, 05:06 AM   #23
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexner View Post
I find it amazing the amount of people on this post that carry on with their crowns unscrewed?! WTF are you people thinking??
it could happen accidentaly

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 19 August 2014, 05:43 AM   #24
Alcan
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: your P's & Q's
5+ years!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Holy Thread Revival Batman.jpg (46.6 KB, 742 views)
Member #1,315

I don't want to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol IS a solution!
Old 19 August 2014, 05:48 AM   #25
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alcan View Post
5+ years!

Yeah I saw that

Does anyone really know what time it is?
Old 23 August 2014, 03:49 AM   #26
rmfnla
"TRF" Member

Watch: TT DJ
Yeah, seeing JJ's post really shook me up...
Old 23 December 2017, 04:45 AM   #27
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa CW21 View Post
I'm right here!

If no fogging inside the crystal ( in case of 30+C temperature changes)does it mean your watch is fine and no excessive humidity inside(excessive =qty could induce corrosion)
thank you

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Old 26 December 2017, 10:07 PM   #28
belutak
"TRF" Member

Watch: Variety
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikki View Post
All watches for the most part use steel parts and if you spritz them with water you can literally watch them rust before your eyes I mean in less than 20 minutes rust will form. Saltwater is deadly and can destroy a movement beyond repair. As an independant with a Rolex parts account there are no parts internally I can't get but dials are out of the question unless you have a contact for used original Rolex dials which I have. Movement plates and some bridges are nickel over brass and don't corrode but the parts that do and come in contact with these bridges will leave surface rust on them that will usually come of with a fine brass wheel. All in all keep your watch well maintaned and you will never have to find out how fast they can rust enough said. Rik the watchmaker

Do they? Lange uses only precious metals in their movements. No steel. Nooope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 26 December 2017, 11:09 PM   #29
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by belutak View Post
Do they? Lange uses only precious metals in their movements. No steel. Nooope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No.
Lange base plates and bridges are silver, gears are brass, with steel pivots. The keyless is also made from steel, as are the screws.
Old 1 January 2018, 11:28 PM   #30
Brijmohan
"TRF" Member

Rikki, my watch accidentally got water damage from the crown pinging out in the shower. This happened years 10 years ago and I couldn’t afford to have it repaired at the time as it wasn’t insured. A Rolex dealer told me recently that by now the whole mechanism will be defunct and costs wise I will be better off buying a new watch.

Would appreciate your advice.I am visiting Hong Kong soon and thought perhaps a good watch repairer could replace parts.
Closed Thread