The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 28 November 2019, 10:19 PM   #1
julli
"TRF" Member

Rolex DD 1803 strange colour!

Hi all,

When I had my 18K yellow gold 1803 DD opened for the first time (I purchased it 15 years ago) the case back and opening of the mid case struck me as strange.

Can anyone explain the "non yellow gold" appearance on the case and case back?

regards,
Julli
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2365.jpg (200.6 KB, 477 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2366.jpg (256.0 KB, 477 views)
julli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 10:49 PM   #2
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
It's white gold or its a fake. What color is the outside ???
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2019, 10:55 PM   #3
julli
"TRF" Member

I don't think it is fake, all case stamps seem correct. I thought it was a yellow gold DD, now I am nor so sure.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5637.JPG (138.8 KB, 430 views)
Old 30 November 2019, 11:00 PM   #4
julli
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1803 DD

The details suggest authentic Rolex 1803 DD made in 1976 customised by Rolex.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5648.JPG (114.7 KB, 428 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5626.JPG (126.3 KB, 433 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5627.JPG (93.0 KB, 434 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_5643.JPG (164.6 KB, 422 views)
Old 2 December 2019, 04:07 PM   #5
RJK
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out for that tree!
It seems odd that a ‘76 DD doesn’t have a “T SWISS T” on the dial. The back of the case should also be a completely gold color because that’s what it is...solid yellow gold. It appears the “yellow” has bled onto certain portions of the case where it’s silver in color.

I think you should have your watch authenticated by an AD/Rolex watchmaker.

Rolex SD 126600, Seiko Golden Tuna SBBN 040, PAM 579, JLC Master Compressor Diving Chrono GMT NS in Yellow, DSSD, Sinn U1000S, Doxa T-Graph, Doxa 750 Caribbean, PAM 190 "8-Days", PAM 162,TT DJ (Left to me by Dad)
RJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2019, 10:20 PM   #6
gunhose
Banned

Watch: what's on my wrist
Are color blind ? Seriously you can't tell the difference between yellow and silver ?
gunhose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2019, 05:18 AM   #7
julli
"TRF" Member

Thank you all for advice and interest in this story. I took the watch to my watchmaker today where it was disassembled. Then I took the case components to a jeweller for case material testing. The watch is original 18k yellow gold but has been plated white gold inside the case and case back (for what reason I can only guess until I have contact with the previous owner). The dial is made by Rolex but relatively recently as it has Luminova, so 2000 or later. So where I stand now: This is an 1976 Rolex 1803 Yellow gold 18k President Day-Date that had a major service this century where the dial was changed and the case plated on the inside. Will try to post pictures later.

regards,
Julli
Old 3 December 2019, 05:20 AM   #8
julli
"TRF" Member

Rolex 1803.

Thank you all for advice and interest in this story. I took the watch to my watchmaker today where it was disassembled. Then I took the case components to a jeweller for case material testing. The watch is original 18k yellow gold but has been plated white gold inside the case and case back (for what reason I can only guess until I have contact with the previous owner). The dial is made by Rolex but relatively recently as it has Luminova, so 2000 or later. So where I stand now: This is an 1976 Rolex 1803 Yellow gold 18k President Day-Date that had a major service this century where the dial was changed and the case plated on the inside. Will try to post pictures later.
Old 3 December 2019, 07:47 AM   #9
julli
"TRF" Member

Old 6 December 2019, 11:02 PM   #10
Devildog
"TRF" Member

Watch: ^^^ for now
Quote:
Originally Posted by julli View Post
Are you certain it wasn't originally white gold and replated yellow in the outside?? That would make much more sense and from your pictures there appear to be whiteish areas as if a yellow gold plating has worn off (may just be reflections)

An interesting one for sure

Present: 16600, 116509, Cartier Santos Green.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 December 2019, 01:57 PM   #11
oversteerdawg
"TRF" Member

Do people do that? I’ve never heard of plating yellow gold onto white gold which is basically yellow gold that has been plated with rhodium.
oversteerdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 06:06 AM   #12
Fredrik
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1680
Quote:
Originally Posted by oversteerdawg View Post
Do people do that? I’ve never heard of plating yellow gold onto white gold which is basically yellow gold that has been plated with rhodium.
It seems to be mostly white gold jewelry that is rhodium plated. There is a whiteness scale for white gold. If you alloy your gold with palladium and/or platinum it will be white without any need of plating. The white gold in Rolex watches is not plated with rhodium, it is also more expensive than their yellow gold since it is alloyed with more expensive metals and also slightly denser.

This might also be a regional thing. I had never heard of plated white gold until I started hanging out here. All the white gold I have and ever had was white naturally without any plating. Maybe it is more common in the USA?
Fredrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 December 2019, 10:03 AM   #13
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
This might also be a regional thing. I had never heard of plated white gold until I started hanging out here. All the white gold I have and ever had was white naturally without any plating. Maybe it is more common in the USA?
I have some vintage WG Omega's that are rhodium plated.
I think t is more common than you are aware of.
MILGAUSS88 is offline   Reply With Quote