The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 16 January 2020, 12:15 PM   #1
dbehsknowme
"TRF" Member

Seeing is Believing

This goes for all watches but I guess especially for all Nautilus and Aquanaut models given the scarcity: How do you make the decision on which model you want based on pictures online?

In some cases maybe you've had a chance to see or if lucky even try on the watch you want before pulling the trigger but I assume most would be lucky to even see let alone try on one of the more popular models before "waitlisting" (Assuming that visiting a Salon is not an option as this is really only an option for those in the EU in or near France, England & Swiss). These extremely well crafted timepieces can look so different in real life and so different in various light settings that I feel its difficult to really know which one you like and want. And when you finally do get the call and you don't end up purchasing then I guess you can say goodbye to that AD.. What are your experiences, tips and thoughts? I know this question was asked recently but I think this one is definitely relevant to choosing between the 5711, 5712 & 5726?
dbehsknowme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 12:41 PM   #2
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I would suggest visiting a large gray/pre-owned dealer at a time when they have all of these in stock (or at least the 5726 and one either the 5711 or 5712 as the former wears much diff from the latter two).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 12:42 PM   #3
soundserious
"TRF" Member

I’ve almost never seen a watch in hand before buying it. Weird, but that’s just the nature of this hobby nowadays.
Old 16 January 2020, 12:48 PM   #4
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Don't buy before seeing! A member here has been whining about his/her 5205 in every thread since he/she bought it, and about taking a hit on the secondary price should he/she sells it. Let's not add that to this forum.

Suggest to try the watch under different lighting, do a research on the secondary price (if you mind the exit price) and speak to different people before pulling the trigger. Good luck and Peace.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 12:55 PM   #5
ap1
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundserious View Post
I’ve almost never seen a watch in hand before buying it. Weird, but that’s just the nature of this hobby nowadays.
Yeah man, me too
ap1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 08:25 PM   #6
yoast
"TRF" Member

Looks like you are based in HK, so pretty much every model you could be interested in can be found in tst to try on...
Old 16 January 2020, 08:25 PM   #7
waspy1
Banned

Since the OP is referring to purchase from an AD, there is zero risk in buying unseen. There is no chance of a loss if bought at retail for the foreseeable future. Different issue if bought grey at a premium of course. OP seems to be in HK? I’d have thought there should be places where these can be viewed? Resellers etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
waspy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 08:49 PM   #8
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Don't buy before seeing! A member here has been whining about his/her 5205 in every thread since he/she bought it, and about taking a hit on the secondary price should he/she sells it. Let's not add that to this forum.

Suggest to try the watch under different lighting, do a research on the secondary price (if you mind the exit price) and speak to different people before pulling the trigger. Good luck and Peace.
That would be me.

5205G-013...What a shamble of a buy. 40K down the drain.

I can only underline to @OP the warning of buying a watch based on pictures.

@OP: Go VIP Watch. They have all models available. Just dont buy from them as their prices are better than Watchbox/Watchfinder but still 10% above market.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 09:15 PM   #9
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I was fortunate with the Patek, as the AD had a 5712 and 5990 (the two I was torn between) in the safe for other customers. It still took me over an hour to choose despite having them there to try on.

The AD asked me to pay a non-refundable 10% deposit, so if I’d ordered without seeing, and then didn’t like, that would have been an expensive punt.

The Royal Oak is probably the best example of how this can go terribly wrong. The most popular is the 39mm of course. After that, it’s the 41mm. If I’d not had the chance to try these on, I would have ordered one or the other. As it transpired, both felt oversized on me so I ordered the 15450 which is perfect size for me.

It’s not really about the watch, it’s about how the watch fits your wrist. So it’s essential to see what you’re ordering in person.

There are exceptions. When I ordered a Pepsi, I wasn’t convinced by the colours, but I have a great relationship with my AD so we just agreed that I would decide when it arrived. No skin off their nose as if I’d decided I didn’t like it, they could have made someone else’s day within minutes! So that was zero risk on both sides.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 January 2020, 10:57 PM   #10
Rushne
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: White 116500LN
I went to a grey dealer to try on a 5167 on a bracelet before going back to my AD to place an order :D

I even tried on a 5711 and felt the bracelet on the Aquanaut was a lot more solid. However, I would not say no to a 5711 :)

Definitely try and go to a place which actually has the watches in stock to see how it fits your wrist!

Omega: Seamaster Professional 300M 2220.80.00
Rolex: Daytona White Dial 116500LN
Rolex: Sky-Dweller Blue Dial Jubilee 336934
Rolex: DateJust 36 Roman White Dial Oyster 126234
Rolex: OP 36 Celebration Dial 126000
Panerai: PAM 422
Patek Philippe: Aquanaut 5167A
A. Lange & Söhne: 1815 Annual Calendar

@mechanicaltom Stolen: IWC Portuguese 500107 Case number 3853222
Rushne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 02:51 AM   #11
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:

Agreed. It is very difficult these days to see the "hot watches," but it can be done. I've seen many a watch that looked good on paper, but just didn't gel with it in person--or it just looked awful.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:01 PM   #12
aurusks
Banned

I know the type of watches I enjoy wearing. With some amount of research, there's a rather low chance that the actual experience of ownership is far off from what I imagine - it's usually better due to novelty. Long-term impressions may differ.
aurusks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:07 PM   #13
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
A classic example of this is AP ROs. You so many photos on TRF of 41mm on wrists which are just too small, and they look terrible. Take your time. Patience is the hardest part. However, if you are persistent and consistent in your efforts, you'll get what you seek. The only question is how long it will take: when, not if.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:17 PM   #14
Calatrava r
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex and Patek
If you can buy from an AD take whatever one you are offered. I doubt you will be offered more than one so there is no choice to make. You really cannot go wrong on any of them, if you like the concept of these watches. If you want heavy, bulkier, more robust type watches look at other brands.
Calatrava r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:24 PM   #15
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchLurv View Post
That would be me.

5205G-013...What a shamble of a buy. 40K down the drain.

I can only underline to @OP the warning of buying a watch based on pictures.

@OP: Go VIP Watch. They have all models available. Just dont buy from them as their prices are better than Watchbox/Watchfinder but still 10% above market.

I assume he was talking about you man...lol
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:25 PM   #16
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
OP can’t u just go try it at the grey dealer?
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:52 PM   #17
rockdrock
"TRF" Member

I was hoping not to fall in love with the Nautilus. I kept thinking that it probably is a hype - granted been chasing one for 4 years now. Then, I went to Beyer in Zürich and met with a great sales person. They would not entertain me on any list. But, she was kind enough to bring one from stock to look at and hold. Holy popsicle! That thing was beautiful and been chasing it heavily since. It is gorgeous.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
rockdrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:54 PM   #18
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I assume he was talking about you man...lol
Every single time I look at my watchbox I just want that spot to be empty. Replace it with a one of my desired watches I need.

I'd accept it if the dial was a lot more blue. Otherwise it's a no thank you piece to me.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 11:54 PM   #19
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
I would think that an AD would have zero problem allowing the OP to try an Aquanaut or Nautilus on in person before a final decision is made. If the decision is then "no," I'm guessing it will take 1-2 phone calls from the AD down the list at most before it would be sold.

If you still can't see one in person (I never tried on my 5167/1A before buying), I try to get as many measurements and dimensions as possible (case size, lug-to-lug, thickness) and see if I can find pictures of the watch on 6.5" wrists like mine.
srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:37 AM   #20
Carlazzo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex
At Baselworld !! I live two hours by car and every year I go to see the news.
Carlazzo is offline   Reply With Quote