The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex WatchTech

Old 29 November 2016, 02:45 AM   #1
jamski
"TRF" Member

14060M Permanent Bracelet Link Removed

My left wrist is a bit smaller than what Rolex must consider as "average," so my Oyster bracelets never had the clasp centered on my wrist. The 6 o-clock side needs to have 4 links for this to happen, but for some reason, the fewest number of links you can have on that side after all removable links were taken off was 5, which is still too long for me.

I've seen videos on the forceful removal of permanent links, but didn't want to do that. So, I asked my local AD for options.

He suggested the one link that is permanently attached to the deployment buckle be removed, which would make the link count on the 6 o-clock side be the necessary 4. I had him do that, and now it's perfect for my wrist. The only down side is that the buckle is now permanently attached to the bracelet, but he said he can easily put it back the way it was should I ever need it.

I don't understand (and neither did he) why Rolex didn't make one more removable link on this model. Do they do that on newer models? Do the newer deployment buckles not have this permanent link attached? This can't be an uncommon problem.

jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2016, 03:02 PM   #2
ec51
"TRF" Member

Watch: yourself
Does the bracelet fit any different without the use of the connector link (or whatever it is called)? This piece has a little attachment that creates a lip of some sort, aligning the bracelet and clasp a certain way.

Does the use of a link change that?

Eric
ec51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2016, 10:26 PM   #3
jamski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec51 View Post
Does the bracelet fit any different without the use of the connector link (or whatever it is called)? This piece has a little attachment that creates a lip of some sort, aligning the bracelet and clasp a certain way.

Does the use of a link change that?
I asked the jeweler if this link removal would hinder the clasp's operation, and he said no. I was sceptical, but since he also said this procedure was 100% reversible, I had him do it.

Now that I've been wearing this for about a week now, I can say that with this one link removed, the clasp works as perfectly as before.

No issues, and it sits much better on my wrist. Only downside (if you want to call it that) is the clasp is now "permanently" attached to the bracelet.

But again, a simple trip to the jeweler can put it back the way it was.

Old 30 November 2016, 10:45 PM   #4
coffeebreak
"TRF" Member

Seems like a pretty good solution. I have a similar issue and had a permanent link removed from one of my bracelets before, though this seems like a simpler way of solving the issue. So the clasp isn't locked onto that link with a springbar? Hence, the "permanent" attachment? Would it need special tools to get it off again?
coffeebreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2016, 12:45 AM   #5
jamski
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebreak View Post
So the clasp isn't locked onto that link with a springbar? Hence, the "permanent" attachment? Would it need special tools to get it off again?
The jeweler had to remove what he called a "rivet," so I assume it requires a specific tool. Didn't seem like it was a difficult operation if you knew what to do and had the proper tool.

He mentioned he sometimes has to replace this rivet during repairs.
Old 7 January 2020, 09:51 PM   #6
bart12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamski View Post
The jeweler had to remove what he called a "rivet," so I assume it requires a specific tool. Didn't seem like it was a difficult operation if you knew what to do and had the proper tool.

He mentioned he sometimes has to replace this rivet during repairs.

I know this is an old thread but I hope someone can help with this:

What exactly is meant by „removing a rivet“ and „permanent“? I was told by the Rolex boutique that this requires a riveted part to be undone hence altering the clasp permanently.

For that reason it was recommended that I order a new clasp (approx, $450) on which this „experiment“ could be done, keeping the original clasp untouched. Does that make sense to you guys?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bart12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8 January 2020, 07:37 AM   #7
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Quote:
Originally Posted by bart12 View Post
. . .

What exactly is meant by „removing a rivet“ and „permanent“? I was told by the Rolex boutique that this requires a riveted part to be undone hence altering the clasp permanently.

For that reason it was recommended that I order a new clasp (approx, $450) on which this „experiment“ could be done, keeping the original clasp untouched. Does that make sense to you guys?
The end of the clasp has a link that is attached to it with a rivet through the flip part of the clasp. This link has a screw-bar on it where the bracelet half is attached.

Remove the rivet and you can take off this clasp-link, then re-rivet to the bracelet half directly.

Of course, it does not alter anything "permanently", because the rivet can be taken back out and the original link put back in. Naturally, you need to know how to rivet it back.

No, it does not make any sense to buy a new clasp to practice on.
Old 8 January 2020, 04:17 PM   #8
214270Explorer
"TRF" Member

Watch: me buy Watches
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamski View Post
My left wrist is a bit smaller than what Rolex must consider as "average," so my Oyster bracelets never had the clasp centered on my wrist. The 6 o-clock side needs to have 4 links for this to happen, but for some reason, the fewest number of links you can have on that side after all removable links were taken off was 5, which is still too long for me.

I've seen videos on the forceful removal of permanent links, but didn't want to do that. So, I asked my local AD for options.

He suggested the one link that is permanently attached to the deployment buckle be removed, which would make the link count on the 6 o-clock side be the necessary 4. I had him do that, and now it's perfect for my wrist. The only down side is that the buckle is now permanently attached to the bracelet, but he said he can easily put it back the way it was should I ever need it.

I don't understand (and neither did he) why Rolex didn't make one more removable link on this model. Do they do that on newer models? Do the newer deployment buckles not have this permanent link attached? This can't be an uncommon problem.

jamski, I was in the exact same dilemma as you. I chose not to have the bracelet "messed with" by removing anything.

The watch fits me after removing links, but the clasp itself sits very far up on one side of my arm, and it does look very weird.

However, the watch fits me comfortably so I decided to leave well enough alone. Just got lucky, I guess.

I did not want to mess with it because I just got it as a practically unused watch that was barely ever worn. In fact, being 10 years old it was all gummed up, losing over one minute per hour, and had to go to Jewelers On Time for a complete service.

Yeh -- just couldn't bring myself to have the bracelet modified even though it could be restored.

Rolex "some"
Tudor "some"
Damasko "some"
Misc Pieces "some"
Marathon "some"
GS Spring Drive "some"
Hamilton "some"
Findeisen "some"
214270Explorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10 January 2020, 01:32 AM   #9
iliketime
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16570, 16710
I destroyed a permanent link on 2 78790 bracelets for 14270 and 16570 as I have a similar issue. The bracelets fit better with 4 links on the 6 o clock side for me as well. However, I have recently learned, rolliworks can remove and save a permanent link, so my destruction turned out to be unnecessary. I did not want to change the clasp as I was unaware of how that rivet is. Have worked with aftermarket clasps where the rivet was more of a pin and hammered into place which served for awhile. I suppose I can always put a link back but it would have the screw.
iliketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:02 AM   #10
bart12
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tools View Post
The end of the clasp has a link that is attached to it with a rivet through the flip part of the clasp. This link has a screw-bar on it where the bracelet half is attached.

Remove the rivet and you can take off this clasp-link, then re-rivet to the bracelet half directly.

Of course, it does not alter anything "permanently", because the rivet can be taken back out and the original link put back in. Naturally, you need to know how to rivet it back.

No, it does not make any sense to buy a new clasp to practice on.

Thanks Tools for your answer - and sorry for not getting back sooner (I didn‘t receive a notification on my app so I assumed no one replied). Anyway I already ordered a replacement clasp and finally found a store who‘s willing to do the job, should take about a week and I can‘t wait

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 January 2020, 06:49 AM   #11
bart12
"TRF" Member

I just wanted to thank jamski and the other contributors for making me aware of this solution! Over the years I repeatedly asked more than one AD if destroying a permanent link was really the only option, almost „giving up“ my 14060M and very rarely wearing it.

Thanks to you guys it feels like I just got a brand new watch which fits me perfectly ��

Also, I wanted to post a picture but somehow I'm not allowed to ��
Old 19 March 2020, 01:19 PM   #12
eals112
"TRF" Member

I removed the last permanent links on both on my 14060 and 114270... fits perfectly... i just used an dremel... and tossed the destroyed link...
eals112 is offline   Reply With Quote