The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Panerai Discussion Forum

Old 31 January 2013, 03:15 AM   #1
kimnluna
"TRF" Member

PAM 320 durability? help!

I'm about to purchase a watch, either a pam320 or a rolex submariner. I like the submariner but the pam sings to me more. This will be my first watch. I plan on purchasing the one in the not so distant future. What's holding me back is the durability of the in house movement, P9XXX series. What's your feedback on it?

I like how the submariner has this durable 3135 movement but do you think it's all marketing?

Is the pam movement as durable as the 3135? I just dont like that the pam320 does not have a perpetual calendar.
kimnluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 03:54 AM   #2
kilyung
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Sundial
The P.9001 is very young. Too young to ascribe the adjective "durable". The 3135 is time tested. Get the Sub first then the PAM.
kilyung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 04:16 AM   #3
advocatia
Banned

Watch: PAM 422 GMTIIC
Get the watch which most appeals to you. Both are great.

Often, message boards like this can scare you off. All it takes is one or two complaints about a problem with a watch and one might think the problem is far more widespread.
I have owned many a Rolex and am now on my second Panerai. No problems with either brand. Not one.

Rolex are everywhere. Subs especially. Panerai are not. Depends what appeals to you. But frankly, worrying about the movement of a watch before you buy it is like worrying about a car engine failing before you buy it. The 320 is sweeeet !!! Very much so. I say go with the Panerai 320. I love that watch.

Edited to add ..... perpetual calendar? Not sure where you are going with that?
advocatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 04:42 AM   #4
opelrsx
"TRF" Member

I have had the 320 for 24 days. It runs better than my 88.
opelrsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 12:02 PM   #5
kimnluna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by advocatia View Post
Get the watch which most appeals to you. Both are great.

Often, message boards like this can scare you off. All it takes is one or two complaints about a problem with a watch and one might think the problem is far more widespread.
I have owned many a Rolex and am now on my second Panerai. No problems with either brand. Not one.

Rolex are everywhere. Subs especially. Panerai are not. Depends what appeals to you. But frankly, worrying about the movement of a watch before you buy it is like worrying about a car engine failing before you buy it. The 320 is sweeeet !!! Very much so. I say go with the Panerai 320. I love that watch.

Edited to add ..... perpetual calendar? Not sure where you are going with that?
As for the perpetual calendar, you don't have to wind it every 2 months for the rolex unlike the panerai.

True. What PAMs do you own?
Old 31 January 2013, 12:16 PM   #6
bcacncnc
"TRF" Member

If you like both and you are starting with a single watch - IMHO - get the sub - then PAM next.

Nothing wrong with the 320 - mighty nice looking piece... just that I find the sub a better all rounder.
Grand Seiko
bcacncnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 12:27 PM   #7
kimnluna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcacncnc View Post
If you like both and you are starting with a single watch - IMHO - get the sub - then PAM next.

Nothing wrong with the 320 - mighty nice looking piece... just that I find the sub a better all rounder.
I currently have a tag though. Would you still consider that a single watch? As for servicing, how often should you service the pam? Just taking into consideration the maintenance and cost of owning one.
Old 31 January 2013, 12:42 PM   #8
jvo300
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimnluna View Post
As for the perpetual calendar, you don't have to wind it every 2 months for the rolex unlike the panerai.

True. What PAMs do you own?
That term doesn't mean what you think it does. Do some more reading on this message board and others. I believe you are referring to the difference between automatic and manual -- this dictates the winding though I have no idea what you mean by two months. A perpetual calendar relates to the date function, specifically the ability for the watch to understand leap years so as to avoid having to correct the date every month or year.
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 January 2013, 12:47 PM   #9
kimnluna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvo300 View Post
That term doesn't mean what you think it does. Do some more reading on this message board and others. I believe you are referring to the difference between automatic and manual -- this dictates the winding though I have no idea what you mean by two months. A perpetual calendar relates to the date function, specifically the ability for the watch to understand leap years so as to avoid having to correct the date every month or year.
Sorry for the wrong use of term. I mean having to adjust the date regularly. As for winding, i know the sub and the pam320 are automatics.
Old 31 January 2013, 12:48 PM   #10
kimnluna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcacncnc View Post

Have a tag already, would you still consider this as a first luxury watch?
Old 31 January 2013, 01:03 PM   #11
jvo300
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry for the wrong use of term. I mean having to adjust the date regularly. As for winding, i know the sub and the pam320 are automatics.
Unless I am misunderstanding your question, you will have to adjust the dates the same between a Rolex and Panerai (unless you plan on getting a Skydweller).
jvo300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 February 2013, 12:44 AM   #12
buke45
Banned

Watch: Your Butt
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvo300 View Post
unless i am misunderstanding your question, you will have to adjust the dates the same between a rolex and panerai (unless you plan on getting a skydweller).
x2
buke45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2013, 03:09 AM   #13
kimnluna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by buke45 View Post
x2
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm just curious about how you change the date? I have a tag and i change the date every other month. Do you have to do that for a panerai? If you don't, how often should you change the date? This is for the 9001 series - pam320?
Old 11 February 2013, 04:10 AM   #14
snog
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Sorry for the misunderstanding. I'm just curious about how you change the date? I have a tag and i change the date every other month. Do you have to do that for a panerai? If you don't, how often should you change the date? This is for the 9001 series - pam320?
the term perpetual is referring to the fact that the watch is self winding, so will run perpetually, the only reason you only change your Rolex every 2 months or so is only because of the order of the days of the months, I think you will find that a couple of times a year you will be changing the date after only one month, you are getting mixed up with the term annual calendar, which means the watch does not need to be altered when the month only has 30 days in it or 29, the Sub and the Pam have the same calendar, I think the only Rolex that has an annual calendar is the new Skydweller.

As for which watch to buy, if you haven't tried both on your wrist, you need to do that first, as the Pam is much bigger, the Sub heavier, for me I would go for the Sub as it will suit all situations, the Pam I feel is not such a great everyday watch, but some people do wear it everyday but for me it was to big to wear and forget it was there.
snog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11 February 2013, 08:08 PM   #15
gmtm2
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
The P.9001 is very young. Too young to ascribe the adjective "durable". The 3135 is time tested. Get the Sub first then the PAM.
well said!!
Old 16 February 2013, 05:44 AM   #16
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Did you make your decision yet? I am looking to purchase my first watch next month and I have it narrowed down to the PAM320 (or 312) and Rolex Submariner are on my list of Final selections. Let us know what you decide and why.
rolex75216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2013, 06:12 AM   #17
sphereman
"TRF" Member

it all comes down to 'which one sings to you more'
i would get the Sub first and PAM next.. (not 310 but something else). :)
Tudor: Blue Pelagos
sphereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 February 2013, 11:19 AM   #18
Travelller
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my sig. ;)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kilyung View Post
The P.9001 is very young. Too young to ascribe the adjective "durable". The 3135 is time tested...
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by opelrsx View Post
I have had the 320 for 24 days. It runs better than my 88...
Panerai 111 217 233
Rolex 16600 126600
Seiko SBGA125 SBDX001 SLA017 SLA025 SLA033
Tudor 5B GMT
Zénith A386ME
Other Mühle Glashütte S.A.R. Flieger Chronoswiss Tora
Travelller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 November 2017, 11:14 AM   #19
kimnluna
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolex75216 View Post
Did you make your decision yet? I am looking to purchase my first watch next month and I have it narrowed down to the PAM320 (or 312) and Rolex Submariner are on my list of Final selections. Let us know what you decide and why.
Finally got the watch - pam320. It's been with me the past 4 years. I'm having it serviced right now. A screw got loose but i'm pretty sure it was my fault. I let it start and stop often while dropping it a couple times.

Service center told me, that's the only problem and they'll fix it right away. So in the 4 years, I've been using it, I'm completely happy with it.

I wouldn't have taken the Sub if i were to repeat myself. Definitely want to cop one without the date next time.