The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 3 May 2017, 06:40 AM   #121
Minimalist
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APAP View Post
Is it just me or is there no love for Panerai anymore?

I enjoy my 335 but it's getting less and less wrist time for some reason. I might be too much into AP but that piece used to excite me a lot!

Now none of their watches temps me anymore. Is the brand getting old?
Old...? I think the older a brand gets the more heritage and value it has, so no it isn't getting old if that makes sense. I can't say the same about us though....the older we get we don't age as well lol and our tastes change etc so maybe that's what is happening for you?

But for me ever since I had the 312 (now sold) I'm counting the days for my next PAM.
Minimalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2017, 07:08 AM   #122
masterserg
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
This for all the haters that saying Panerai is fading it's still kicking strong 💪
What a threesome!
Old 3 May 2017, 08:14 AM   #123
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Sub 1680
Say what you want about Panerai, but it is one of the most distinctively looking watches that is well made. And that's all good in my book!
yjfang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 May 2017, 08:17 AM   #124
yjfang
"TRF" Member

I wonder if there are more variations of Panerai's or Omega Speedmaster's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanneok11 View Post
Too many models and always special edition skmething
Old 6 May 2017, 12:41 AM   #125
lapince
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5712
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedmaster73 View Post
just you
Nope not just him, I used to love them also, but it was before

Quote:
Originally Posted by yjfang View Post
Say what you want about Panerai, but it is one of the most distinctively looking watches that is well made. And that's all good in my book!
I agree in a way but that might be the problem, basically it's variations of two models, radiomir and luminor, there are differences but not huge ones, whereas can't think of another brand which has the same basis of only two models, sure some will say AP, but you can't really compare, sure the RO and it's variation the ROO are what keeps the brand alive, but there are other lines of watches within AP, seen here less often as the AP section is more sport orientated. Of course if Panerai starts other styles outside the two main ones people will probably not be happy, will say that they are loosing their heritage and stuff like that
lapince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 May 2017, 05:59 AM   #126
yjfang
"TRF" Member

Rolex borrowing a page from Panerai's playbook? They have now released an Italian limited edition Tudor Black Bay black with red text and a Bucherer edition Tudor Bronze Black Bay Special Edition with blue dial, after the numbered edition of Tudor Pelagos LHD.
Old 6 May 2017, 08:35 AM   #127
Speed
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Rolex borrowing a page from Panerai's playbook? They have now released an Italian limited edition Tudor Black Bay black with red text and a Bucherer edition Tudor Bronze Black Bay Special Edition with blue dial, after the numbered edition of Tudor Pelagos LHD.
I don't think so...not really.

They let Tudor do wacky stuff. Rolex will have a stick up their Bum forever IMO. But since I am not really a fan of LEs etc. thats ok.

Now I know Rolex let Tiffany brand their dials way back when...but no more.
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13 May 2017, 11:08 AM   #128
rafi_16610
"TRF" Member

Watch: Omega 168.004
Quote:
Originally Posted by nick c View Post
Even this lady wants a Panerai.
love this one. tend to agree with the majority re: too many limited eds with little to distinguish them from the regular production run.

still a great watch. maybe the market overheated in recent years and the slump now being experienced is a correction as they call it in the market

Sent from my B15Q using Tapatalk
rafi_16610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 12:00 AM   #129
clyde2801
"TRF" Member

Richemont profits down 46%

And their share prices are plummeting. Looks bad, looks real bad.
Of course, they're buying back excess stock, cutting staff, dong everything except even temporarily lowering their prices.

Good thing I've got an ETA movement!
clyde2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 12:49 AM   #130
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde2801 View Post
And their share prices are plummeting. Looks bad, looks real bad.
Of course, they're buying back excess stock, cutting staff, dong everything except even temporarily lowering their prices.

Good thing I've got an ETA movement!

But, Richemont is still making a profit in this difficult environment for Swiss watchmakers. And the holding company's share price reflects nothing about an individual brand's performance. All the R&D on display at SIHH 2017 shows the opposite of a brand "in trouble".
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 03:25 AM   #131
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Pams are more affordable these days (great for many) and certainly not dead. As an appreciating investment type (like during mid/late 2000s), Pams are probably not the way to go.
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 05:39 AM   #132
clyde2801
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cru Jones View Post
But, Richemont is still making a profit in this difficult environment for Swiss watchmakers. And the holding company's share price reflects nothing about an individual brand's performance. All the R&D on display at SIHH 2017 shows the opposite of a brand "in trouble".
Right, if Richemont goes belly up, I'm sure that will not effect Panerai in any way, sure, right.

Hope you're correct.
clyde2801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 06:07 AM   #133
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Biggest drop in profit for Richemont was the disc ops in 2016, which once adjusted out the comparison isn't so bad. Richemont must closed down an unrelated segment or sold it off.

FYI, their gross margins are over 60%. Wow.

Edit: here you go...

https://www.richemont.com/press-cent...article&id=449
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 07:05 AM   #134
yjfang
"TRF" Member

You know how Panerai is still relevant? Resellers are still carrying them in their inventory. You don't see that with, let's say Franck Muller which was once a darling.
Old 14 May 2017, 08:15 AM   #135
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
^^^^this, find I wear my panerai's much more than the solo rolex in my collection.

have a great weekend all

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 May 2017, 07:25 PM   #136
Maltie
"TRF" Member

Richemont and Panerai isn't going down soon

The watch industry might be suffering, but even with declining results, a company with a net cash position of 5.8 billion EUR is not going down soon. (Richemont - company announcement - 12 May 2017)
Maltie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 May 2017, 11:23 AM   #137
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Watch: Panerai 914
No, Panerai is definitely not fading into oblivion. Honestly, I would rather they stay a 70,000 - 100,000 a year watch producer. I like that everyone doesn't have one.
Dan2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 12:33 PM   #138
dsk28
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed View Post
I don't think so...not really.

They let Tudor do wacky stuff. Rolex will have a stick up their Bum forever IMO. But since I am not really a fan of LEs etc. thats ok.

Now I know Rolex let Tiffany brand their dials way back when...but no more.
I second this. Great tactic though keeping the Rolex brand classy while having the Tudor brand to play around and be creative.
dsk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 12:34 PM   #139
dsk28
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullcourt View Post
^^^^this, find I wear my panerai's much more than the solo rolex in my collection.

have a great weekend all
Which PAM are you wearing? I own the PAM90, any strap suggestions? Getting bored with my current rubber strap.
dsk28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 01:50 PM   #140
fullcourt
"TRF" Member

Watch: panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk28 View Post
Which PAM are you wearing? I own the PAM90, any strap suggestions? Getting bored with my current rubber strap.
currently own 5 and have many straps from various makers. you need to do some research and see what you like. send me a pm if you'd like some specific suggestions.

hagd

chgo_risti on IG
fullcourt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 03:39 PM   #141
Cru Jones
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsk28 View Post
I second this. Great tactic though keeping the Rolex brand classy while having the Tudor brand to play around and be creative.

I think it has less to do with being "classy" and more to do with a very conservative approach to watchmaking.

Personally, I would love to see Rolex be more innovative and adventurous. With all their income, they could do more exciting things with a tad more spent on R&D and a tad less on Tiger Woods and other celebrity endorsements.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 May 2017, 04:53 PM   #142
Ruud Van Driver
"TRF" Member

Watch: Mickey Mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan2010 View Post
No, Panerai is definitely not fading into oblivion. Honestly, I would rather they stay a 70,000 - 100,000 a year watch producer. I like that everyone doesn't have one.
If I spend a day wandering around the city, I'll see about three dozen different people wearing a Rolex, probably more if I pay attention. Even the bag ladies (you know the ones I mean, pushing all their worldly possessions in a shopping cart while wearing men's shoes and talking to buildings) seem to wear one. However, I see very few people wearing a Panerai; three a day max.

If I'd discovered Panerai three years ago, I'd have five of them and just the one Rolex.

"Why should you allow an AD to shake you down, just so you can buy a watch" - Grady Philpott
Card carrying member of TRF's Global Association of Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
Ruud Van Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:15 AM   #143
Magwitch
Banned

I have PAM 176, 214, 564, 423 and 305. I like them all, including the many strap options. The limited production is welcome. Nice to know that there aren't millions of people wearing them.
Magwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:27 AM   #144
nick c
Banned

Just came back from cruising in the Caribbean,I have seen so many gents/ladies wearing Rolex,but just a few including me wearing a Panerai,that's what I like.
nick c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 12:40 AM   #145
Speed
"TRF" Member

Agreed re: fewer Panerai in the wild is a good thing!
Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 May 2017, 08:51 AM   #146
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Driver View Post
If I spend a day wandering around the city, I'll see about three dozen different people wearing a Rolex, probably more if I pay attention. Even the bag ladies (you know the ones I mean, pushing all their worldly possessions in a shopping cart while wearing men's shoes and talking to buildings) seem to wear one. However, I see very few people wearing a Panerai; three a day max.

If I'd discovered Panerai three years ago, I'd have five of them and just the one Rolex.
I actually just sold my last Rolex. All Panerai for me. It's great time to be a buyer!
Old 2 June 2017, 04:27 PM   #147
panerai28
"TRF" Member

Still got a base, but haven't worn it in a couple months now. For some odd reason, I just don't find it appealing anymore. Maybe I'm a little bit older now and the size is just too big?
panerai28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 June 2017, 05:55 PM   #148
Swiss Mad!
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM View Post
I hope Panerai isn't dead since I just bought this. I'm a Rolex guy (especially five digit) but there's something unique about Panerai.

Nice - I have exactly the same reference 673 and love it so much and would never sell it.

Here's a link to a post I made about it if your interested..

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=540725

There is still a lot of love around for Panerai generally although I think (without sounding too pompous) it tends to now be more people who 'know' about watches rather than fasionista's jumping on the celebrity band wagon as once was the case when film stars like Stallone & Schwarzenegger famously wore theirs back in the day...

Swiss Mad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 05:59 AM   #149
Sublovin
"TRF" Member

Watch: Lots
Here's the real truth. Panerai experienced a cult following, and much of it was driven by people who had inside tracks to getting certain pieces. They would pump the brand, and like sheep, many would follow along.
Now that the flipper market for Panerai is not great. The few who were profiting started knocking the brand, and like sheep, many have followed.
The reality is that the brand is doing very well. They have classic designs, modern pieces, in house movements galore, and even extreme complications like tourbillon and EOT.
For people who liked the brand for the right reasons, now is a better time than ever to be into the brand. Prices are reasonable and the choices are plentiful.
For those who only wanted one because they felt it gave them a ticket to some secret society of the "too cool for school", they are now onto the next thing.
The brand will endure, and it represents a refreshing alternative for those who don't wish to always wear a Rolex or Omega.
Sublovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 June 2017, 07:44 AM   #150
Dan2010
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublovin View Post
Here's the real truth. Panerai experienced a cult following, and much of it was driven by people who had inside tracks to getting certain pieces. They would pump the brand, and like sheep, many would follow along.
Now that the flipper market for Panerai is not great. The few who were profiting started knocking the brand, and like sheep, many have followed.
The reality is that the brand is doing very well. They have classic designs, modern pieces, in house movements galore, and even extreme complications like tourbillon and EOT.
For people who liked the brand for the right reasons, now is a better time than ever to be into the brand. Prices are reasonable and the choices are plentiful.
For those who only wanted one because they felt it gave them a ticket to some secret society of the "too cool for school", they are now onto the next thing.
The brand will endure, and it represents a refreshing alternative for those who don't wish to always wear a Rolex or Omega.
And this is the truth right here. Could not of said it better.