The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 2 April 2020, 09:23 PM   #1
GS93108
"TRF" Member

ROO 44 Brochure from 2012

I bought my first AP in 2012 and when I was looking around at what to buy I really liked the idea of one of these. I didn’t buy one but found this brochure on my laptop so thought I’d post it.

In my view the RG 44 is one of the classic ROO’s and will somewhat define the range for years to come.
I still love them every time I see them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
GS93108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 09:52 PM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Nice and nostalgic, I remember loving that RG 44 on release, previous to that the RG RC was my dream watch, but I wasn't taken with the rainfall bezel, once that got updated then I pounced.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 09:57 PM   #3
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Nice and nostalgic, I remember loving that RG 44 on release, previous to that the RG RC was my dream watch, but I wasn't taken with the rainfall bezel, once that got updated then I pounced.
That's the reason I didn't buy the RG44 at the time, I thought the bezel didn't have enough character and was a bit plain. The current brushed bezels produce a totally different look and in themselves are quite a wow factor. Had the bruised bezel been around in 2012 then I'd have no doubt bought one.
Old 2 April 2020, 10:36 PM   #4
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
I love the brushed effect on the ceramic bezel, it just looks great! Did earlier versions have a different finish?

Nice seeing the pic of Lebron James wearing the RG44 - seeing it on someone else's wrist at a distance reminds me what an overall superb and unique design the ROO is. The RG44 in particular works so well with the combo of rose gold, black and silver.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 10:49 PM   #5
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
Nice pictures but never my brand.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 April 2020, 11:05 PM   #6
gummy

Watch: AP PP Rolex
I totally remember that brochure...very nostalgic.

And now, once again, I miss my 44mm FC.
gummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:08 PM   #7
crispyness87
"TRF" Member

Wow, seeing Michael Schumacher on the page, it has been ages. Sadly.
crispyness87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:45 PM   #8
Famz_01
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP and Rolex
they need to make this watch in a smaller variation 44 is too large for a lot of people
Famz_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 April 2020, 11:51 PM   #9
KBM

It's been almost 10 years... wow.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 12:56 AM   #10
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
Does anyone know if AP will exchange a rainfall bezel for a brushed one or will they always put a rainfall one back on?

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 01:03 AM   #11
singe89
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Does anyone know if AP will exchange a rainfall bezel for a brushed one or will they always put a rainfall one back on?

They will but think the cost is like $2,300 when mine was in for service last year. I also asked if they could refinish the rainfall bezel but replacement was the only option.
singe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 01:04 AM   #12
AshAP
"TRF" Member

This rose gold 44 was the watch that I really wanted when it was released but by the time I could afford a gold AP this version was 50k so I ended up buying the gold rubber clad, then 30 days later pm AP prices collapsed by 30%.

Old 4 April 2020, 01:07 AM   #13
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by singe89 View Post
They will but think the cost is like $2,300 when mine was in for service last year. I also asked if they could refinish the rainfall bezel but replacement was the only option.

I’ve had a new bezel too, it was £2200. These ceramic bezels are good but even my new bezel has a couple of very tiny chips in it so I’ll probably go for a second bezel at service time but hopefully that won’t be for another 3 or 4 years.

Old 4 April 2020, 06:46 AM   #14
Urooj
Banned

It’s such a brilliant design. I think the size is relevant to the watch overall aesthetics and in my opinion amalgamates the contrast and richness of materials fairly well. I bought my RG in June 2012 as soon it hit the stores, however my excitement was curtailed when the retail prices after two months were reduced from usd 62k to 47k. I was regular on time zone.com a more popular forum at that time with AP presence there with a designated individual Moderating on their behalf. But some of the serious collectors and me included went with on with our rants of such absurd price justification and our verbal onslaught was directed towards the new AP boss as well who is still at the AP helm todate. Anyways this bitter mishap didn’t lead us away from AP’s opulence in terms of quality and finish and after losing a fortune in trying other brands and other variations within the AP line. I have come to conclusion the 44 offshore is a modern classic and my three 44 offshores are a stern testament to my partiality to this design.
Urooj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 07:18 AM   #15
GS93108
"TRF" Member

Back in 2012 when I was looking to buy my first AP it's weird to recall my thinking at that time. I didn't love the ceramic plain bezel on the RG44, which I now know is called the 'rain drop' bezel, but would have loved the brushed bezel. I also remember being very adamant that I didn't want a pin bucket and that I wanted a deployant strap. I couldn't understand why the 42mm rubber clad had a deployant but the 44mm had the buckle. Being a 'newby' to the brand I had no real experience of them and just thought it was weird not to have a deployant available on the 44.

Now that I've had several pin buckle ROO's, I understand that the deployant on a 44mm isn't that comfortable, in fact it's really quite uncomfortable, but no one told me at the time, and if they had I probably wouldn't have paid any attention anyway.

We live and learn as they say.

44mm RG ROO for sure defines the brand for me, it was the one that I should have bought and the one that initially 'spoke to me' and 8 years later it still does.
Old 4 April 2020, 08:03 AM   #16
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS93108 View Post
That's the reason I didn't buy the RG44 at the time, I thought the bezel didn't have enough character and was a bit plain. The current brushed bezels produce a totally different look and in themselves are quite a wow factor. Had the bruised bezel been around in 2012 then I'd have no doubt bought one.
I wouldn't mind if the edges of the case by the lugs were brushed the same as well, like on the CE 44, but at least it is on the bezel, and the watch has many different effects and finishes.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 April 2020, 08:51 AM   #17
eonflux
"TRF" Member

Thanks for posting!
That brochure led to my getting the FC.
Still my favorite of the 44's.
eonflux is offline   Reply With Quote