The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 16 March 2020, 01:21 AM   #31
Stevie_Goodlife
"TRF" Member

Watch: Five Digit GMT
Finally got the call for a SS RO

I picked up mine in December, the finish and quality are outstanding. As folks noted it wears large, it is >50mm lug to lug. (My wrist is 7’’)

Luxury goods and watches are fickle as investments. ROs have fared very well of late, but resale values in alternative assets can change quickly (wine, watches, art, motorsports). If the risk of 15 - 25% depreciation creates anxiety then think twice.

If your intent is to buy, enjoy and hold... wear it in happiness!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 16 March 2020, 01:30 AM   #32
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Have you physically tried on a 15500? I ask because the dial design makes it wear big and with your wrist size it may look too big, and its certainly visually bigger than a Daytona. I'm not trying to put you off, just making an observation.
You make a good point. Tried on a gold on leather RO and it’s certainly big but fits on my wrist. I always just took a hard measuring tape and tried my best to measure my wrist. Just used string and it turns out I’m actually 7 inches in diameter. I’ve always been underestimating! So tempted to make inappropriate jokes now :)

I iftrn rolled my eyes when people posed asking advice from strangers on help making personal decision. Now I’m one of them! I think I’m sold on the AP. The resale is what my final hang up is, but it really shouldn’t be since I don’t plan on selling it. This hobby isn’t a logical one is it?

Everything I see being sold by grey dealers is over retail as is chrono 24. Figure I should just pull the trigger and plan on being able to offload it at retail or at a small loss if I decide I don’t love it after some time. The cost won’t be a bad financial decision, but after years of buying watches that are worth a fraction of what they were new, I can’t help but avoid thinking about it. Life is short! Just wish the current financial climate wasn’t at the same some as this opportunity!
flal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 01:34 AM   #33
goog53
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex-Patek-AP
I’d push for the 116500 or Pepsi. IMO the 15500 has a lot of empty space on the dial, wears big, and a bit boring.

"The best watch in the world is the one that's on your wrist." Morgan King

"Do you like having a good time? Then you need a good watch!" Rocky Balboa
goog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 01:36 AM   #34
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Goodlife View Post
I picked up mine in December, the finish and quality are outstanding. As folks noted it wears large, it is >50mm lug to lug. (My wrist is 7’’)

Luxury goods and watches are fickle as investments. ROs have fared very well of late, but resale values in alternative assets can change quickly (wine, watches, art, motorsports). If the risk of 15 - 25% depreciation creates anxiety then think twice.

Good point - very fickle indeed. And yea, it’s a loss potentially if you decide to sell, but not a total loss right. A few thousand for wearing and enjoying is worth it, for me at least. Also, that looks great on your wrist!

I appreciate all the advice. It’s nice hearing all the different perspectives. That’s why I love this community.
Old 16 March 2020, 01:38 AM   #35
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by goog53 View Post
I’d push for the 116500 or Pepsi. IMO the 15500 has a lot of empty space on the dial, wears big, and a bit boring.
I never thought about the empty space actually until I saw James Corden wear one on carpool karaoke. I don’t usually think it looks that empty personally bust absolutely looks that way when I saw it on him. That’s one small reason I was considering the panda chrono.
Old 16 March 2020, 01:43 AM   #36
flal
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnl View Post
it’s hard to get a good photo of what it actually looks like, either the scratches are not visible at all or they’re overly exaggerated…but here’s one photo anyways. most of the time they’re not visible, you gotta shine light in the right angles to be able to see them. (excuse the laptop, my place is pretty dark so i used the screen as a kind of soft box haha)

That gives me a good idea of what some wear looks. Thank you for posting the picture!
Old 16 March 2020, 02:58 AM   #37
TankTom
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flal View Post
Haha I’d have zero watches in my collection if that was the case! Always hard to pull the trigger, but have always been happy. Probably because of the amount of time I’ve spent obsessing about the details.
I agree with this. Anxiety over a watch purchase is by no means a bad thing - particularly if it’s your first venture into the brand and a jump up in money spent also!
TankTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 04:39 AM   #38
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Very simple, if you have anxiety over a purchase then don’t do it. I completely understand people not being comfortable with spending thousands of pounds on a watch, but I don’t understand those same people genuinely considering doing it.

I could afford to buy one of my grails right now (Patek 5270 or RM67-02) but it would be an amount that I can’t afford to spend without serious consideration. And if a luxury purchase requires my serious consideration, then for me it means it’s out of my league.

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 04:48 AM   #39
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Three great choices. Having owned them all numerous times I prefer the Pepsi. Mainly for aesthetics which is the top consideration for me.
Old 16 March 2020, 05:44 AM   #40
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
As I say, the open dial makes this watch seem visually much bigger than it is. For instance, I get the impression when wearing it that the 15500 is a lot bigger than my 26331, although they are basically the same size. It will look way bigger than the Pepsi, which after wearing APs seems very small.

I'd strongly suggest trying a 15500 before buying.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 06:19 AM   #41
EdwardC
2024 Pledge Member

Have you considered 15450? If you can try that too before making the decision
EdwardC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 March 2020, 10:25 AM   #42
thekman
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610LV
I own the black 15500 and pretty much was offered it unexpectedly on the spot at a time where I couldn't get any other SS Rolex or Patek so decided to get it. Kept agonizing for months when I was waiting for delivery wether that was the right choice or not. The minute the watch arrived and I wore it for an extended period of time I realized how much nicer it is than anything Rolex can dream of producing. Don't get me wrong since then I have added a Seadweller and a BLNR as I was able to start a good relationship with an AD but none of the Rolex I own or the ones you mentioned are as nice or beautifully finished as a steel RO. Financially that's a whole different discussion. So far RO are selling above retail but who knows how long that will last in the current climate.

Follow me www.instagram.com/subs.n.scrubs
thekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 March 2020, 03:36 AM   #43
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Congrats

Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2020, 07:44 AM   #44
JasTPE
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie_Goodlife View Post

Beautiful piece~ Congrats and enjoy!
JasTPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 07:41 AM   #45
Benzsiam
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/AP/PP/ALS
I have a smaller wrist size than you, but I still wear AP 15500OR. I love the look of Rose Gold bracelet of AP very much. I also have 37mm ST AP RO, it looks a lot smaller than 15500.

I also have SS white dial Daytona. I think both of Daytona and AP look great. Which one you love the most, buy that one.
Benzsiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 09:51 AM   #46
KJBrandal
"TRF" Member

Congrats!
KJBrandal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 10:06 AM   #47
Muxi
"TRF" Member

If the watch sings to you, there’s won’t be any anxiety. That’s how I felt with all my purchases. And mind you, where I’m from, you pay grey prices.
Muxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 March 2020, 12:41 PM   #48
ericmeds
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/AP
My barber's son is a watch dealer on 47th in NYC. He was at the shop recently and offered 22k for my 15500 black dial which says a lot. Chrono24 prices are around 25 before you pay their commission. I don't think anyone here can tell you what will happen next. All you can do is buy what you like and there is a chance other people will appreciate it too and cause value to go up long term. Who would have known a 5402 would go up more than 4x in a few years?

I've always been of the thought process if you're not super excited at the time of purchase, it's probably the wrong move. I was happy to fork over my CC when my dealer brought out a 15500.

Being that you have a smaller wrist and and focus so much about resale, why don't you wait a little longer and try your luck on a 15202 (assuming you have a good dealer relationship). I mean it checks all your boxes including 39mm size, and instant 40k+ resale value 😂
ericmeds is offline   Reply With Quote