The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Audemars Piguet Discussion Forum

Old 26 March 2020, 05:27 AM   #31
Jghansen2007
"TRF" Member

I'm a fan. Love the font, enjoy the pop of blue. Agree the price is a bit... ambitious
Jghansen2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 05:43 AM   #32
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Yeah, reflected on this a bit more. TT I'm a fan of. Watch has a killer look to me. REALLY wish it was manual wind. But 53K is ludicrous. Even with the recent rise I can get a bunch of cool FPJs for 53K.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 05:48 AM   #33
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swaye View Post
Yeah, reflected on this a bit more. TT I'm a fan of. Watch has a killer look to me. REALLY wish it was manual wind. But 53K is ludicrous. Even with the recent rise I can get a bunch of cool FPJs for 53K.
Manuel wind is right, it probably costs that much to pay for that super massive and dull rotor they have sacrilegiously put on a chrono.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 06:13 AM   #34
raclaims
"TRF" Member

Love it...I'd def get one
raclaims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 06:40 AM   #35
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: AP, Rolex, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshAP View Post
Actually I hope I can get to try one on as I really like it, I’ll be interested to see the UK price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Equating the CHF price across I assume these will be circa UK£50k+ with VAT, which seriously seems too much for a two-tone, largely steel, watch. I really don't think the launch timing is that brilliant either.
P2725TMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 06:48 AM   #36
Swaye
"TRF" Member

Watch: What I am wearing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
Manuel wind is right, it probably costs that much to pay for that super massive and dull rotor they have sacrilegiously put on a chrono.
Swaye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 07:10 AM   #37
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Have to be honest this is better feedback than I was expecting. They set the bar insanely low with the code its just good to see a step in the right direction.
Old 26 March 2020, 07:32 AM   #38
watchucallit
"TRF" Member

As I said earlier I do like it a lot. I like the Chrono pushers, the dial, hands(contrast with blue chrono seconds), and two tone. I would prefer Manual wind and the lugs are not my favorite
watchucallit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 08:17 AM   #39
JJ WA
"TRF" Member

I liked it. Not enough to pull the trigger, though.
JJ WA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 08:43 AM   #40
Cru Jones
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

AP goes from avant garde and pushing the boundaries to a homage watch maker?

It’s almost like AP is saying “you didn’t like something new like the Code? What if we rehash a historic model?”

They just seem so lost.
Cru Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 08:54 AM   #41
Burlington
"TRF" Member

Almost feels like something Lange-esque about it.

― Winston S. Churchill
Burlington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 09:08 AM   #42
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Gold dial, Rose bezel, SS lugs, this is too much of a rainbow style. All in SS or WG or RG will work much better, and will be coming soon no doubt.
Old 26 March 2020, 10:47 AM   #43
1665fan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Personally I would be going for a steel Vacheron CDV for less money.

(monochrome pic)

watches by six pic)
This or the les historiques chrono for sure!!!
1665fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 March 2020, 07:13 PM   #44
edo
"TRF" Member

This is remake of an old watch, a good one for sure, not for everyone but we can't deny the quality and craftsmanship...this remake business model is implemented by Longines in the past two years and every model they did was an instant hit...

Naming is again 4th grade quality... but what to expect from the guys who came up with Code 11.59 name and had legends like Schumacher for brand ambassadors opposite to "new wave of collectors and ambassadors" who practically live in AP houses and shut on interviews nonsense like "This is the first titanium RO" speaking of new China perpetual...
edo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 12:24 AM   #45
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by P2725TMB View Post
Equating the CHF price across I assume these will be circa UK£50k+ with VAT, which seriously seems too much for a two-tone, largely steel, watch. I really don't think the launch timing is that brilliant either.
At current exchage rates it will be more like £55k to £60k including VAT.

I think AP will price themselves out of the UK if they keep adjusting prices based on temporary exchange rate changes. Patek and Rolex have been more measured and I hope AP also take a more pragmatic approach.

Diiferent comp but a steel Patek for less than half the money:
https://www.patek.com/en/collection/...ions/5212A-001

A Patek solid gold, chrono AC for less money:
https://www.patek.com/en/collection/...ions/5905R-001

The platinum for similar money :
https://www.patek.com/en/collection/...ions/5905P-001

I know where my money would go. I like the styling of the AP but that two tone is terrible, the price is ridiculous for a steel watch with a chrono complication and in reality they don't have a recent history of competing with the likes of Patek in terms of dress watches anymore. AP obviously trying to milk the market with that watch when they were designing it but the market has unfortunately for them changed.
ragsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 12:27 AM   #46
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP Royal Oak
A watch that I’m very keen on is the Patek World Time chronograph, it’s £55,000 and IMO it’s stunning. It makes the price of the AP look too high.

AshAP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 12:30 AM   #47
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
A watch that I’m very keen on is the Patek World Time chronograph, it’s £55,000 and IMO it’s stunning. It makes the price of the AP look too high.

Yes that is beautiful. I remember you tried it on?
Old 27 March 2020, 12:35 AM   #48
KBM
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I need to think about this a bit more. Initial gut feeling is not great, but I like the overall direction. Agree with Tom, a CDV is much more up my alley for that coin. Market price for a platinum (!!!) CDV is right around there.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 12:36 AM   #49
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragsk View Post
Yes that is beautiful. I remember you tried it on?

Yes I love it and hope to buy it but after my Nautilus 5726 arrives. I’ve tried it on numerous times in Berrys. It’s not an ‘in demand’ piece and this one that I tried on last summer is still available.

Old 27 March 2020, 12:44 AM   #50
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

You'd certainly get more for your money there, Ash!
Old 27 March 2020, 12:47 AM   #51
AshAP
"TRF" Member

Quote:
You'd certainly get more for your money there, Ash!

You’re right, I don’t know how costly the world time complication is to produce but having played around with it it seems to be amazing and definitely something I’d use if we’re ever allowed to travel again. And it’s white gold with no steel in sight.

Old 27 March 2020, 12:56 AM   #52
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-man View Post
Have to be honest this is better feedback than I was expecting. They set the bar insanely low with the code its just good to see a step in the right direction.

They just keep pushing me further and further from the brand, offering absolutely nothing of interest and outrageous pricing. All this mixed in with a pompous attitude of "its not us, it's you" when we do not like it, a la code.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 12:59 AM   #53
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

I’d like to think of myself as a strong supporter of AP and have felt my loyalty to the brand over the past few years has been appreciated by AP. I really want to be positive in my comments on AP’s creations rather than derogatory, but I’m not one to say positive things when I actually feel the opposite, just to stay ‘in’ with the brand. I’m therefore left in the frustrating position of either not commenting at all or having to say that whilst an improvement on Code, which I feel really isn’t to AP’s standards, the release of the new “(Re)master01” makes me concerned as to where this amazing and historic brand, which means so much to me, is heading.

I understand AP may want to diversify into designs away from the iconic octagon, but I think the Code and Remaster01 really don’t fit well with the Audemars brand direction, and if the new design is anything like £55k in the UK it will be insane, especially for a two-tone on strap. I personally don’t dislike two-tone watches, but agree it doesn’t work with this design and would’ve been wiser to do separate rose gold and steel versions.

I’m afraid as with Code this new Remaster01 (also as with Code, a terrible name - where the hell do they get them!) won’t be for me, and at the hard to justify pricing surely won’t fare much better on the market either.
Old 27 March 2020, 12:59 AM   #54
AshAP
"TRF" Member

The Code last year was 4% of their production, in the UK they’ve been pretty realistic about it saying that they accept that it isn’t a watch for everyone.

Old 27 March 2020, 01:03 AM   #55
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
The Code last year was 4% of their production, in the UK they’ve been pretty realistic about it saying that they accept that it isn’t a watch for everyone.

On a positive note, I suppose Code is the one design you can be sure to see and buy at the boutiques!
Old 27 March 2020, 01:12 AM   #56
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I’d like to think of myself as a strong supporter of AP and have felt my loyalty to the brand over the past few years has been appreciated by AP. I really want to be positive in my comments on AP’s creations rather than derogatory, but I’m not one to say positive things when I actually feel the opposite, just to stay ‘in’ with the brand. I’m therefore left in the frustrating position of either not commenting at all or having to say that whilst an improvement on Code, which I feel really isn’t to AP’s standards, the release of the new “(Re)master01” makes me concerned as to where this amazing and historic brand, which means so much to me, is heading.

I understand AP may want to diversify into designs away from the iconic octagon, but I think the Code and Remaster01 really don’t fit well with the Audemars brand direction, and if the new design is anything like £55k in the UK it will be insane, especially for a two-tone on strap. I personally don’t dislike two-tone watches, but agree it doesn’t work with this design and would’ve been wiser to do separate rose gold and steel versions.

I’m afraid as with Code this new Remaster01 (also as with Code, a terrible name - where the hell do they get them!) won’t be for me, and at the hard to justify pricing surely won’t fare much better on the market either.
They have the RO which is iconic and polarising so I'm not surprised these new models are in the classic round shape, and while the Code is generic and uninspiring, I think this Remaster is nicely designed; Rolex and Patek made chronos in the 40s and 50s in a similar vein and they all look aesthetically pleasing, but only AP need this "round" model now whereas the other two do not... yet.

The price and the TT are bad, but when they are in one metal I think they are a good addition to the brand.
Old 27 March 2020, 01:13 AM   #57
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

New AP chrono

Quote:

That's fine but almost the entire offering with the exception of RO's have just gone downhill. Camo strap ROO's non stop, bigger and bigger, more diamonds, crusted or otherwise, etc. Its just been mostly awful to see releases besides the "application" pieces which 99% of us will never be able to own anyhow. It's extremely disappointing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 March 2020, 01:23 AM   #58
ragsk
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK797 View Post
They have the RO which is iconic and polarising so I'm not surprised these new models are in the classic round shape, and while the Code is generic and uninspiring, I think this Remaster is nicely designed; Rolex and Patek made chronos in the 40s and 50s in a similar vein and they all look aesthetically pleasing, but only AP need this "round" model now whereas the other two do not... yet.

The price and the TT are bad, but when they are in one metal I think they are a good addition to the brand.
I agree with this. Make that watch in rose gold and sell it for £35k and they can count me in. I like the styling.
Old 27 March 2020, 01:36 AM   #59
P2725TMB
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I agree with this. Make that watch in rose gold and sell it for £35k and they can count me in. I like the styling.
Backtracking a bit, in theory I agree with this, a full gold version at £35k would make a lot more sense - a big chunk of this insanity is the pricing and overvaluing. That said, I still wouldn't be a buyer as I just don't particularly like the design, but that's more of a personal perception.

However, generally of late there's been fewer releases that appeal to me and I am concerned (for my taste anyway) the direction the brand is going.
Old 27 March 2020, 01:43 AM   #60
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I'm sure they are wanting £40K plus for that, but reaction threads like this and the CV crisis might just give them a reason to be friendlier on price.