The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 19 May 2019, 04:59 PM   #1
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
Recommended Tools for Rolex Bracelets

Hey! What screwdriver would you folks recommend for removing the various sized screws on Rolex bracelet links? I need to upgrade my old tools to something new that won't slip on the screw heads for a DD president bracelet.

My old screw driver was fine for my GMT, 16610, and SD43 but I don't want to take any chances with PM bracelets. One slip and they will scratch.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 08:54 PM   #2
AEC
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Idiot Savant
There are many existing threads containing very detailed info on this. If you haven't already, then I recommend using the search function to retrieve threads from this forum, and also from the tech forum. There is type of screwdriver that doesn't taper all the way down to a blade-like ending (I don't recall the exact term for it), but instead ends in more of a monolithic shape so that it fully fills the slot in the screw, and I'm guessing it is especially important to use one like this on gold screws.
AEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 May 2019, 09:35 PM   #3
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

This is what you want

https://www.esslinger.com/horofix-sc...SABEgKwkPD_BwE
Tha Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 03:41 AM   #4
Wimbledon
Banned

Watch: Me Serve
Thanks guys.
Wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 04:32 AM   #5
18●20●22●▼●2●4●6
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
Icon5

May I know if this tool also has the blade for smaller screw heads on Jubilee bracelets from the '90s like 62510's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tha Baron View Post
18●20●22●▼●2●4●6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 05:14 AM   #6
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Pricey screwdriver. A set of Bergeon 30080 screwdrivers is far less and will do the job as well. Rolex screws are nothing special.
MSchott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 05:40 AM   #7
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchott View Post
Pricey screwdriver. A set of Bergeon 30080 screwdrivers is far less and will do the job as well. Rolex screws are nothing special.
Wrong.

Yeah those Bergeons are chiseled/tapered tips that come to a sharp point. I’ve used these and can chew threw screw heads because the edge is sharp and allows for play within the slot. Hence only the ends of the driver tip are contacting the screw head.

The hollow ground tips on the horofix are perfect and fill up the screw head slot well and won’t slip.

Sure save a few bucks if you want to F up your expensive bracelet and screws.

Penny wise, pound...
Old 20 May 2019, 05:47 AM   #8
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Everything on a Rolex is special... a pm link runs about $700 and screw I’m sure isn’t cheap either. Interesting what you’re definition of “pricey” is
Old 20 May 2019, 07:20 AM   #9
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

The horofix driver is substantially better than a 1.6mm Bergeron screwdriver for Rolex oyster links. I’ve used them both. I would not consider $40 an expensive tool for a $10,000+ watch.
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 07:52 AM   #10
bobbyandy
"TRF" Member

Does anyone have an Esslinger coupon code they would like to pass along? Thanks for the part info. I’ve been considering getting (finally) the right tools. Thanks!
bobbyandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 12:10 PM   #11
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Wrong.

Yeah those Bergeons are chiseled/tapered tips that come to a sharp point. I’ve used these and can chew threw screw heads because the edge is sharp and allows for play within the slot. Hence only the ends of the driver tip are contacting the screw head.

The hollow ground tips on the horofix are perfect and fill up the screw head slot well and won’t slip.

Sure save a few bucks if you want to F up your expensive bracelet and screws.

Penny wise, pound...
If you use the right size screwdriver it’s not an issue. This bull about Rolex parts being special is just that. I adjusted my Milgauss bracelet with no issues.
Old 20 May 2019, 12:14 PM   #12
MSchott
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Everything on a Rolex is special... a pm link runs about $700 and screw I’m sure isn’t cheap either. Interesting what you’re definition of “pricey” is
$40.00 isn’t expensive but compared to a normal Bergeon screwdriver it is. Maybe I’ve had more experience adjusting bracelets. It’s not rocket science. Use a loupe and the right size screwdriver.
Old 20 May 2019, 12:20 PM   #13
aphil
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LN
Quote:
I strongly concur. I was hesitant paying 40$ for a single screwdriver but when it got delivered, the quality, precision and heft makes that money justifiable. Its best feature is how nicely it sits inside the screwhead without any wiggle room, thus making it less prone to scratches.

I would also recommend the bergeon 7825 tweezers for removing the bracelet. Again it's 150 $ but i got those and worth the price in my opinion - at least for someone like me who's not a master watchmaker and needs the most help from his tools to ensure not damaging their watch.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 01:21 PM   #14
praveen
"TRF" Member

Watch: OP 39 White
Trust me on this. Just get the $40 screwdriver. I’ve spent $120 replacing 6 bracelet screws with an independent Rolex watchmaker after messing around with different screwdrivers. Most of the regular screwdrivers are without hollow ground tips which don't perfectly fit the screw heads and cause scratches and damage the screws. This is why I had to replace the damaged screws.

BTW, one important tip. Do match the removed screw to the right link. My Rolex watch maker said that the bracelets are polished after the screws are in place and so if you use the wrong screw on the wrong link, it won't be a perfect fit.

Also, get the loctite 222 thread locker glue (after cleaning the end of the screw to remove excess thread glue) and put a dab of it on the screw so that it seals well.

Finally, the Bergeon 7825 is a must if you don't want to scratch the bracelets.

All in all these tools are worth it to protect your Rolex watches. These are the right ones for the job! Your watch will thank you
praveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 01:38 PM   #15
epc2
"TRF" Member

Watch: 116610LV,Pam etc.
For those that own the esslinger screwdriver do you know if they sell a tip for the Jubilee bracelet screws (1.4m I think) that can be used with the same tool?

Thanks.
epc2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:40 PM   #16
Tha Baron
"TRF" Member

Quote:
If you use the right size screwdriver it’s not an issue. This bull about Rolex parts being special is just that. I adjusted my Milgauss bracelet with no issues.
Glad it’s worked out for you
Old 20 May 2019, 08:50 PM   #17
Batmannr1
"TRF" Member

Watch: On the left wrist
Quote:
Originally Posted by epc2 View Post
For those that own the esslinger screwdriver do you know if they sell a tip for the Jubilee bracelet screws (1.4m I think) that can be used with the same tool?

Thanks.

This tool I also use, works fine. Not cheap, but worth it and can be used for oyster and jubilee bracelets.
screwdriver tips are 1.7mm for the oyster bracelet and 1.3mm for the jubilee bracelet.
https://www.esslinger.com/horofix-ge...djusting-tool/
Batmannr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 10:16 PM   #18
Jim Smyth
Banned

Watch: DD
Gold is soft and you dont want any issues mucking up the slot. Spend the money to get the best fitting screwdriver there is.

https://www.rolexforums.com/showthre...=horofix+1.7mm
Jim Smyth is offline   Reply With Quote