The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 20 May 2019, 05:16 AM   #1
boychild
"TRF" Member

First Tudor purchase question

Hi all. I am thinking of getting the Tudor Black Bay in burgundy as my first Tudor purchase. I'd like to know if it's better off buying one from an AD or pre-owned? I intend to keep the watch and have no plans of flipping or selling it in the future. Would like to know your insights and thoughts about the Black Bay itself. Cheers!
boychild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 05:24 AM   #2
Art 1
Banned

Watch: Rol/Seik/Tud/Omega
Not a right or wrong. I prefer new from AD.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 05:26 AM   #3
skyseadweller
"TRF" Member

i have a pelagos , go preowned and save yourself some money . solid watch
skyseadweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 05:27 AM   #4
Urosfan
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
I concur
Urosfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 06:04 AM   #5
PossumDixon
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16710 Coke
I was in AD the other day looking at Black Bay Black on bracelet. AD offering 10% off. So, that’s about $3300 plus tax. New price is $3725. I see them used, selling for as cheap as $2000 but up to maybe 2500-2700. I think I’m going used. Grey pricing isn’t very aggressive.
PossumDixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 06:10 AM   #6
inadeje
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me lose count.
I’d go used/grey on this
♛ 116689 ♛ 116500LN Blk ♛ 116500LN Wht ♛ Sky Dweller 326934-003 ♛ 126710BLNR ♛ 126710BLRO - ♛ 126610LV ♛ 16520 ♛ 16523 ♛ 16610 ♛ 5513 Birth Year - ✠ Patek Philippe 5980/1A-001 - AP 26331ST Panda - Panerai Fiddy 127, Bronzo 671, 687, 111, Ω Speedmaster 1957 Broad Arrow, Daniel Roth Endurer Chronosprint, Cartier Santos XL - ✿ Tudor Black Bay 58 Bronze M79012M, Montblanc TimeWalker Chrono 41
inadeje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 06:58 AM   #7
champ74
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by boychild View Post
Hi all. I am thinking of getting the Tudor Black Bay in burgundy as my first Tudor purchase. I'd like to know if it's better off buying one from an AD or pre-owned? I intend to keep the watch and have no plans of flipping or selling it in the future. Would like to know your insights and thoughts about the Black Bay itself. Cheers!
I am at the verge of purchasing a pre-owned Tudor Pelagos REF 25600TN from a forum member and everything looks good. Getting a pre-owned isn't bad IMO.
champ74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 07:21 AM   #8
Wedders
"TRF" Member

I have 3 but have fallen out with them I am finding them too thick/tall/chunky. I don’t know what the correct watchy term is. Just sold my first a GMT I am left with a Harrods and a Bucherer.
Wedders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:05 AM   #9
JNWatches
"TRF" Member

I suggest you try it on. If you can live with the case height, it is a great watch. I would also suggest you grab a used one on the forums in good condition. They lose a lot of value from the AD to the used market. If you don't like it, you can easily pass it on or trade it in for something else and not lose much, if anything in terms of $$.
JNWatches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:11 AM   #10
Rocket launcher
Banned

Try the black bay 41
And a Bb58
The bb58 is smaller with better proportions.
Also the eta movement watch with the smiling face dial has a better following so may be more collectable in the future

What ever you decide get the watch on a Bracelet. As it works out cheaper than buying a Bracelet at a later date
Rocket launcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:40 AM   #11
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

You can always save money buying used or from a third-party dealer, but only do that if you feel comfortable with the transaction. You can likely negotiate a small discount at your dealer, especially if you pay cash.

It's a lovely and popular watch, but definitely be sure to try it on if you haven't already -- it's a bit more of a slab than it might seem in pictures.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 08:41 AM   #12
Rolexoman
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Datejust II
Not telling you where to buy but I got mine from a Grey Dealer, it’s the Tudor Heritage BB with red bezel and stainless bracelet and cams with factory warranty and I paid $2800 total

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fsnj2N6U5URg3AaPA
Citizens Eco-Drive BL1258-53L Rolex DJII 116334, Tudor Heritage Black Bay 79230R Omega Seamaster Aqua Terra GMT 231.13.43.22.02.004 Ulysse Nardin Marine Torpilleur 1183.310/40 MAS Irukandji Vostok Komandirskie B&R BR0392-D-G-BR/SCA Vostok Komandirskie (Tank) South Bend Model 1 #716632 Vostok Amphibia (Sub)
Rolexoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 09:53 AM   #13
garyfromleeds
Banned

Watch: Deepsea D Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by boychild View Post
Hi just make you aware ive recently bought Tudor watches ( 5 in total all 2019 purchases ) because I had one years ago and found them faultless , that said my purchases are because here in the uk its almost impossible to buy steel sports for sensible money , I also own a D blue and find having a few watches to switch around day to day helps keep the boredom away so here goes what I paid for them don't forget this is in English pounds sterling , Tudor black bay Burgundy 20% off rrp the black bezel also 20% off rrp the Pepsi 10% off rrp , 0 off nothing off the Harrods edition and finally I have a Burgundy Qatar edition black bay price id rather not say ! all those watches listed above are all on the steel riveted bracelets and only the Harrods came with a nato , what im trying to say is you could try the UK and get the Vat back also you may end up with a new watch cheaper than a used one
garyfromleeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 10:07 AM   #14
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket launcher View Post
Try the black bay 41
And a Bb58
The bb58 is smaller with better proportions.
Also the eta movement watch with the smiling face dial has a better following so may be more collectable in the future

What ever you decide get the watch on a Bracelet. As it works out cheaper than buying a Bracelet at a later date
YES!! I actually just found out about the BB58 today and will be opting for that one instead.
Old 20 May 2019, 11:04 AM   #15
Likestheshiny
"TRF" Member

Quote:
YES!! I actually just found out about the BB58 today and will be opting for that one instead.
A great option if your wrists aren't on the beefier side. You won't be casually finding that used, though, and new from an AD will take either luck or patience. If you want it sooner than later, you'll likely need to cough up a little more than MSRP from a reputable grey dealer.
Likestheshiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 10:14 PM   #16
HORNBLOWER
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1 OR 2
A good used ETA version at the right price is what I would do. They are also thinner on the wrist.
HORNBLOWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 10:18 PM   #17
Spoonage
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

I have a BBN ETA. Love the watch, only gripe is that I can't get the bracelet tuned in to my exact liking so it runs just a touch tight... wish there was a 1/2 link or more micro adjustment holes.

Agree there's no right or wrong answer. It's what your most comfortable with. That being said I purchase all my wife's jewelry and my watches (new) from an AD. Its helped me get a white DaytonaC in 3mo wait, MSRP, no list, no $ down... And that includes the 1st service after warranty expiration for free.
Spoonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 May 2019, 11:38 PM   #18
samson66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: my money leaving!
See what kind of discount you can get from the AD first, then decide if the premium is worth going new. I would get it from an AD if the premium is reasonable.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
samson66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 12:12 AM   #19
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
Same. ;)
Old 21 May 2019, 12:14 AM   #20
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyseadweller View Post
i have a pelagos , go preowned and save yourself some money . solid watch
It's nice to save a few hundreds.
Old 21 May 2019, 12:15 AM   #21
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urosfan View Post
I concur
Agreed.
Old 21 May 2019, 12:19 AM   #22
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PossumDixon View Post
I was in AD the other day looking at Black Bay Black on bracelet. AD offering 10% off. So, that’s about $3300 plus tax. New price is $3725. I see them used, selling for as cheap as $2000 but up to maybe 2500-2700. I think I’m going used. Grey pricing isn’t very aggressive.
Wow in Philly? Which AD is this?
Old 21 May 2019, 12:28 AM   #23
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by champ74 View Post
I am at the verge of purchasing a pre-owned Tudor Pelagos REF 25600TN from a forum member and everything looks good. Getting a pre-owned isn't bad IMO.
Yeah it has its benefits.
Old 21 May 2019, 12:28 AM   #24
AM4R
"TRF" Member

Watch: BLNR
Check out the 79220R instead. It's the old smiley one. I bought one last year used and hoping it does go up in value too :)
AM4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 May 2019, 12:44 AM   #25
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedders View Post
I have 3 but have fallen out with them I am finding them too thick/tall/chunky. I don’t know what the correct watchy term is. Just sold my first a GMT I am left with a Harrods and a Bucherer.
I know they are. Also they aren't as comfy as I thought it would be. You mean the Harrod's edition in green? That's a keeper.
Old 21 May 2019, 12:46 AM   #26
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JNWatches View Post
I suggest you try it on. If you can live with the case height, it is a great watch. I would also suggest you grab a used one on the forums in good condition. They lose a lot of value from the AD to the used market. If you don't like it, you can easily pass it on or trade it in for something else and not lose much, if anything in terms of $$.
I completely agree with you. They aren't very comfortable and the value certainly depreciates over time. I'm opting for the BB58 so the challenging hunt starts now.
Old 21 May 2019, 12:48 AM   #27
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AM4R View Post
Check out the 79220R instead. It's the old smiley one. I bought one last year used and hoping it does go up in value too :)
Yeah I saw that one too but I like the more updated versions. After trying a few in the store, I didn't feel any connection with the watch so I'm going for the BB58. They are tough to find but I know a few ADs who can help me find one.
Old 21 May 2019, 12:50 AM   #28
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by samson66 View Post
See what kind of discount you can get from the AD first, then decide if the premium is worth going new. I would get it from an AD if the premium is reasonable.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S10 using Tapatalk
Do ADs really give a discount? Or only you built a relationship with?
Old 21 May 2019, 12:51 AM   #29
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoonage View Post
I have a BBN ETA. Love the watch, only gripe is that I can't get the bracelet tuned in to my exact liking so it runs just a touch tight... wish there was a 1/2 link or more micro adjustment holes.

Agree there's no right or wrong answer. It's what your most comfortable with. That being said I purchase all my wife's jewelry and my watches (new) from an AD. Its helped me get a white DaytonaC in 3mo wait, MSRP, no list, no $ down... And that includes the 1st service after warranty expiration for free.
How's the bracelet though? I've never tried one in the store because I'm always going for the ones in leather.
Old 21 May 2019, 12:53 AM   #30
boychild
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyfromleeds View Post
Hi just make you aware ive recently bought Tudor watches ( 5 in total all 2019 purchases ) because I had one years ago and found them faultless , that said my purchases are because here in the uk its almost impossible to buy steel sports for sensible money , I also own a D blue and find having a few watches to switch around day to day helps keep the boredom away so here goes what I paid for them don't forget this is in English pounds sterling , Tudor black bay Burgundy 20% off rrp the black bezel also 20% off rrp the Pepsi 10% off rrp , 0 off nothing off the Harrods edition and finally I have a Burgundy Qatar edition black bay price id rather not say ! all those watches listed above are all on the steel riveted bracelets and only the Harrods came with a nato , what im trying to say is you could try the UK and get the Vat back also you may end up with a new watch cheaper than a used one
That does sound like an awesome deal. I'm not traveling anytime soon though, but the VAT discount would be super nice.