The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Grand Seiko & Seiko Discussion Forum

Old 24 November 2016, 11:48 PM   #1
red.earth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124273
Seiko SARB033

Mechanical Seiko watch for £256. Looks fabulous (in my opinion) is a lovely size at 37mm and has a clear case back. What am I missing? Why shouldn't I snap one up?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEIKO-SARB...3D182350790378
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SARB033_2-700x700.jpg (70.9 KB, 268 views)
Old 25 November 2016, 12:25 AM   #2
themast
"TRF" Member

Great value, no question. My only caveat is, if you are buying because you would like a DJ but can't make the purchase now.. Then wait and stay committed. Otherwise, if you are on the market for a sub $500 watch Seiko is a solid choice.

Edit: for your signature I see that you really like this styling and you already have a nice selection of Tudor/Rolex with black dials. Perhaps this could be an occasion for trying something a bit different?
themast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 November 2016, 01:08 AM   #3
red.earth
"TRF" Member

Watch: 124273
Thanks for your thoughts. The truth is that I'd love a BLNR or Hulk, ideally. I'd also "make do" with a grey 39mm Oyster Perpetual, but my finances aren't able to accommodate any one of those preferences, for now, hence me looking at this very affordable piece. I agree that it's hardly new as far as my collection is concerned, but I really do like it

Quote:
Originally Posted by themast View Post
Great value, no question. My only caveat is, if you are buying because you would like a DJ but can't make the purchase now.. Then wait and stay committed. Otherwise, if you are on the market for a sub $500 watch Seiko is a solid choice.

Edit: for your signature I see that you really like this styling and you already have a nice selection of Tudor/Rolex with black dials. Perhaps this could be an occasion for trying something a bit different?
Old 25 November 2016, 11:36 AM   #4
GEORGE505
"TRF" Member

All I can say is if you like it now buy it and I bet you will love it. I have the sarb035 and it looks so much better in person. Just so you know it's a 38mm case. The sarb033 & sarb035 use the same case. It's a watch that the more you look at it and wear it it grows on you a lot. It's definitely one of Seiko's better mid level watches.
GEORGE505 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2016, 01:15 AM   #5
southcarolina1801
"TRF" Member

I used to have the white dialed Seiko SARB. It was a stunning watch for the price. I regret selling it, at the time I was uncomfortable wearing a smaller watch but now I definitely appreciate it.
southcarolina1801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2016, 03:15 AM   #6
PJ S
Banned

^
Perhaps you should consider the SDGM003 as a replacement, and a way to absolve your regret.
PJ S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2016, 06:00 AM   #7
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I think it is a great watch for the price range and have considered this watch myself.

My question to those who own it and/or have owned it in the past - if you own several other Swiss watches, how does the Seiko fit into your watch rotation?
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2016, 09:55 AM   #8
GradyPhilpott
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Regardless of finances, I think it's a good idea to have some lesser expensive watches, even cheap watches, in the collection.

Yes, the Tudors and the Rolexes get the bulk of the wear, but I sometimes like to wear the lesser ones.

Today, it's an Orient.

If you like the watch, go for it!

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2016, 09:28 PM   #9
ajas
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC, Pam, Speede
You can never go wrong with seiko and orient.
I started my watch journey with seiko and this is a hell of the watch for the money.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
ajas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26 November 2016, 10:03 PM   #10
1William

Watch: Rolex/Others
I prefer a different dial but it is a cool watch and a great value.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2016, 07:57 AM   #11
GEORGE505
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_jon View Post
I think it is a great watch for the price range and have considered this watch myself.

My question to those who own it and/or have owned it in the past - if you own several other Swiss watches, how does the Seiko fit into your watch rotation?
Hi I'm George Jon_Jon. To answer your question I do currently own the Sarb035 which is the white dial version of the Sarb033. I ordered the watch thinking great I will have another watch to wear on the weekends or just to have something different to mix things up a bit. Well I was off by a mile lol. I own quite a few mid and high end watches that I really love. That said I didn't expect to love wearing the watch as much as I do. I wear my sub and datejust but not as much as I use too. The sarb wears really nice and comfortable on the wrist. The fit and finish is very well done, and the bracelet is so much better quality than what you would see on say a Seiko5. You can easily wear it with a suit and tie or jeans and a t shirt. It really is a very versatile watch. It's a watch you don't have to worry about wearing and attracting the wrong kind of attention and yet it's a watch with excellent quality. It's a watch you can wear to the office or just relaxing on the weekend. It's a great watch that would fit into anyone's collection. For the quality and price you really can't go wrong. Hope this helps
Old 27 November 2016, 08:21 AM   #12
GradyPhilpott

Watch: 116710 BLNR
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEORGE505 View Post
Hi I'm George Jon_Jon. To answer your question I do currently own the Sarb035 which is the white dial version of the Sarb033. I ordered the watch thinking great I will have another watch to wear on the weekends or just to have something different to mix things up a bit. Well I was off by a mile lol. I own quite a few mid and high end watches that I really love. That said I didn't expect to love wearing the watch as much as I do. I wear my sub and datejust but not as much as I use too. The sarb wears really nice and comfortable on the wrist. The fit and finish is very well done, and the bracelet is so much better quality than what you would see on say a Seiko5. You can easily wear it with a suit and tie or jeans and a t shirt. It really is a very versatile watch. It's a watch you don't have to worry about wearing and attracting the wrong kind of attention and yet it's a watch with excellent quality. It's a watch you can wear to the office or just relaxing on the weekend. It's a great watch that would fit into anyone's collection. For the quality and price you really can't go wrong. Hope this helps
Yeah, but do you like it?

Inaugural TRF $50 Watch Challenge Winner
GradyPhilpott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 November 2016, 09:14 AM   #13
GEORGE505
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GradyPhilpott View Post
Yeah, but do you like it?
Nope not at all Grady In all honesty I really didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I do. It did catch me by surprise. For the quality and price point and versatility I can't say anything bad about it. Don't get me wrong I love my Rolex watches but Seiko makes a fine watch.
Old 27 November 2016, 12:12 PM   #14
visualplane
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5513
I think the sarb lines would be easy to resell if the buyer changes their mind.
visualplane is offline   Reply With Quote