The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Rolex General Discussion

Old 22 June 2021, 02:23 AM   #1
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Loctite for screws

What’s the right Loctite to get to ensure that the screws do not become loose with time but not too tight that I cannot remove later. Similar to the white one that comes with the screws from the factory.

Thanks.
Old 22 June 2021, 02:25 AM   #2
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thsiao View Post
What’s the right Loctite to get to ensure that the screws do not become loose with time but not too tight that I cannot remove later. Similar to the white one that comes with the screws from the factory.

Thanks.
Loctite 222 is what you need
Driver8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:36 AM   #3
padi56
"TRF" Life Patron

Watch: ing you.
Quote:

Thanks.
If you do use Loctite the Loctite grade you should use is 221 or 222/223 but just a very very very tiny amount on female screw thread only and you will be fine. To loosen screws heat is the best, from say a small blow torch, or even a gas cigarette lighter.

ICom Pro3

All posts are my own opinion and my opinion only.

"The clock of life is wound but once, and no man has the power to tell just when the hands will stop. Now is the only time you actually own the time, Place no faith in time, for the clock may soon be still for ever."
Good Judgement comes from experience,experience comes from Bad Judgement,.Buy quality, cry once; buy cheap, cry again and again.

www.mc0yad.club

Second in command CEO and left handed watch winder
padi56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 02:48 AM   #4
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Home Depot sells blue and red. Get the blue--definitely do not get the red.
RJRJRJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 03:01 AM   #5
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
Home Depot sells blue and red. Get the blue--definitely do not get the red.
Definitely don't get red, but purple is the way to go over blue as purple has the lowest strength. Loctite 222 (purple) apparently has a breakaway torque of 6Nm, while 221 (also purple) has 8.5Nm, so both are pretty similar. IMO less is definitely more when it comes to watch bracelets. (If you've ever tried to size a Doxa bracelet from the factory you'll know what I'm talking about!!). All you need it for is just to prevent screws from backing out.

In my experience with using 222, I just dip the specific links in a basin of hot water straight from the tap for a few seconds before removing the screws. Never had a problem with screws either coming loose and backing out, or with removing them when needed.
Old 22 June 2021, 03:06 AM   #6
Mystro
2024 Pledge Member

Purple is the correct color. Blue is still a bit too stiff.
Mystro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 03:15 AM   #7
worldofoyster
"TRF" Member

Watch: SS Sub
blue loctite should be fine
worldofoyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 June 2021, 03:19 AM   #8
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
Definitely don't get red, but purple is the way to go over blue as purple has the lowest strength. Loctite 222 (purple) apparently has a breakaway torque of 6Nm, while 221 (also purple) has 8.5Nm, so both are pretty similar. IMO less is definitely more when it comes to watch bracelets. (If you've ever tried to size a Doxa bracelet from the factory you'll know what I'm talking about!!). All you need it for is just to prevent screws from backing out.

In my experience with using 222, I just dip the specific links in a basin of hot water straight from the tap for a few seconds before removing the screws. Never had a problem with screws either coming loose and backing out, or with removing them when needed.
I was just pointing out that if you walk into a Home Depot I believe your only options are blue or red.
Old 22 June 2021, 03:31 AM   #9
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJRJRJ View Post
I was just pointing out that if you walk into a Home Depot I believe your only options are blue or red.
Ah, got ya! Given the choice of just red or blue then definitely NOT red, but buying purple online or elsewhere would be the correct way to go IMHO.
Old 22 June 2021, 04:35 AM   #10
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post

So it shouldn’t be difficult to remove with a screwdriver correct? Just enough strength so the screw doesn’t become undone by itself. Does it resist water and sweat?
Old 22 June 2021, 05:15 AM   #11
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
So it shouldn’t be difficult to remove with a screwdriver correct? Just enough strength so the screw doesn’t become undone by itself. Does it resist water and sweat?
That’s right. You don’t want to be forcing the screws too much if you have to undo them as they’re pretty small and you don’t want to damage the head. As you say, you want just enough strength to prevent any backing out. You absolutely don’t want anything too strong. As I say above Doxa used to use some ludicrously strong threadlock and people have ruined screws trying to get them out even with heat.

I read somewhere that 222 is pretty much identical to the white threadlock that Rolex use at the factory, so that’s definitely the way to go. Used with the correctly sized hollow ground screwdriver and you’ll have no problems and no damage to the screws.

I’ve been using it for years and I’ve never had a screw back out yet, so it seems to resist water and sweat perfectly well.
Old 24 June 2021, 03:45 AM   #12
steverandy
"TRF" Member

Does the purple loctite 222 dry to white color or does it stay purple color?
I have used loctite 222 before, and when I removed the screw, there was very little resistance and no white stuff left like what Rolex had.
steverandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 07:06 AM   #13
Driver8
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steverandy View Post
Does the purple loctite 222 dry to white color or does it stay purple color?
I have used loctite 222 before, and when I removed the screw, there was very little resistance and no white stuff left like what Rolex had.
222 stays purple. You don't need much, but maybe you didn't use enough if you couldn't see any residue on the screws. I always have on mine, and I usually just need to clean it off before refitting it with a new application of 222.
Old 24 June 2021, 09:17 AM   #14
Harry-57
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yes, and as far as I know, yes.
Harry-57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 09:39 AM   #15
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Loctite 222 is low strength; it'll keep the screws from loosening but they can easily be removed using a properly sized screwdriver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bracelet Screws and Loctite 222.JPG (280.6 KB, 697 views)
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 11:01 AM   #16
JAEP
"TRF" Member

How about VibraTite VC-3? I use it for my other hobbies and it works great. You apply it to threads and let it dry (30+ min). It never hardens and “absorbs” vibrations and removing screws is super easy. Since it is already dry, you do not get the glue all over the place on the bracelet when you insert a screw.
JAEP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 June 2021, 11:28 AM   #17
KaVo8
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes, Please!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystro View Post
Purple is the correct color. Blue is still a bit too stiff.

This^^^To prevent stripping the screw heads, use heat to loosen the loctite. I dip the bracelet in hot water for a couple of minutes. I prefer not to use open flames around my watches.

Also, Bergeon makes different sizes hollow driver that fit precisely with the screws on Rolex bracelet. This make sizing bracelet a breeze.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 27 June 2021, 07:24 AM   #18
thsiao
"TRF" Member

Is this the right one guys? The bottle is red not purple.

https://www.amazon.com/LOCTITE-222-L...4742577&sr=8-5
Old 27 June 2021, 08:33 AM   #19
planemad
"TRF" Member

Rolex use 221 or 222.
Omega use 243 as they issue this to there boutiques.
planemad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27 June 2021, 09:05 AM   #20
RJRJRJ
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I can't read that language, but if it's 222 it should be correct. You don't go by the bottle color, you go by the liquid color. Look at this one and it says the color on the bottle:
https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-55533...002KKTT0&psc=1
Old 28 June 2021, 04:34 AM   #21
Stan Cooper
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Quote:

That's the right stuff; use the color of the "THREADLOCKER" band right under the "222", not the bottle color. The liquid is purple.
♛16710 GMT-Master II, ♛1915 Rolex WW1 Trench Watch, Zelos Thresher 500m GMT Meteorite, Zelos Swordfish 40 200m Ti Blood Moon Meteorite, Hamilton Pilot Chronograph, Ball Roadmaster Pilot GMT COSC Chronometer, Zelos Mako 300M True GMT Meteorite, Seiko SSC813 quartz solar powered chronograph
It's weird being the same age as old people.

- Stan
Stan Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 June 2021, 11:46 AM   #22
Gab27
"TRF" Member

Watch: 114060
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAEP View Post
How about VibraTite VC-3? I use it for my other hobbies and it works great. You apply it to threads and let it dry (30+ min). It never hardens and “absorbs” vibrations and removing screws is super easy. Since it is already dry, you do not get the glue all over the place on the bracelet when you insert a screw.
I've used VC-3 for a lot of other applications and I've wondered about this myself. My inclination is that this would potentially be even better than Loctite. However, I used 222 on my Sub given there was more information available for this usage case.
Gab27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 07:24 AM   #23
Jeevesbond
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by padi56 View Post
If you do use Loctite the Loctite grade you should use is 221 or 222/223 but just a very very very tiny amount on female screw thread only and you will be fine. To loosen screws heat is the best, from say a small blow torch, or even a gas cigarette lighter.
May i borrow your expertise please padi. You mention applying loctite to the female screw only. How do you apply the loctite appropriately (toothpick as other have suggested in other threads)? Also why not to male end?
Jeevesbond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 07:38 AM   #24
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeevesbond View Post
May i borrow your expertise please padi. You mention applying loctite to the female screw only. How do you apply the loctite appropriately (toothpick as other have suggested in other threads)? Also why not to male end?

If apply Loctite to the end of the screw, it will get into the link and be much harder to unscrew later. /y applying it to the hole in the link, where the threads wind up, you avoid that problem. Using a toothpick is the correct way to do that.

Kat

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 07:47 AM   #25
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

this seems a bit extreme

don't use any glue
mine never come out in any screw bar bracelet I have ever had

just screw them in tight - and not too tight
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 08:50 AM   #26
Pepperjack
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelpurple View Post
this seems a bit extreme

don't use any glue

Screws falling out is a common repair intake we see at my shop. I'm glad it has never happened to you, but you're stating an anecdotal fallacy.
Pepperjack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 08:58 AM   #27
colonelpurple
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperjack View Post
Screws falling out is a common repair intake we see at my shop. I'm glad it has never happened to you, but you're stating an anecdotal fallacy.
I respect your experi3nce, but I just never see a tightly screwed in bar come out
Perhaps some folk are too afraid to screw them in properly
colonelpurple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 09:06 AM   #28
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I respect your experi3nce, but I just never see a tightly screwed in bar come out
Perhaps some folk are too afraid to screw them in properly
Ummm, weird things can still happen. Maybe the screw starts backing out, even a bit, and that builds. Over the years have (thankfully) caught two.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 09:21 AM   #29
KatGirl
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 X2 Pledge Member

Watch: 126233 Wimbledon T
Quote:
this seems a bit extreme

don't use any glue

Rolex uses Loctite, at the factory, so some folks think they should use it, also.

Kat

KatGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 February 2024, 10:05 AM   #30
thegrandseirolexguy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatGirl View Post
If apply Loctite to the end of the screw, it will get into the link and be much harder to unscrew later. /y applying it to the hole in the link, where the threads wind up, you avoid that problem. Using a toothpick is the correct way to do that.

Kat

I’ve been doing it wrong all along then. Been applying it to the male ends I/o of the female ends.

On hindsight, it is the far more logical thing to do. I don’t know why it didn’t occur to me sooner. Doh!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thegrandseirolexguy is offline   Reply With Quote