The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 5 April 2020, 02:43 AM   #1
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Way too much time on my hands in UK lockdown

As the Patek forum seems a bit quite lately, I thought I would share how I have been spending my time in UK lockdown. I had an idea for a project after Patek Philippe UK generously gave me a tour of the UK service and polishing facility recently.

As an amateur lapidarist (gemstone polisher) I found a lot of the techniques used by Patek Philippe were similar to what I used to polish gemstones Although IMO cutting and polishing gemstone by hand is more difficult as I have to first shape the material which is a lot harder than most metal. I also need to consider the shape, size, colour, orientation and symmetry by eye and in 3D. I am not just applying finishes to preformed machine stamped metal blank.

Any way I started with a stainless-steel bolt and a stainless-steel dining fork. I cut the bezel and applied the finishes. Next was the gemstone insert cut from a black Tourmaline which was more difficult than I thought. I was originally going to make cufflinks, but as I don’t wear long sleeve shirts very often, I decided to make some pendants instead. I may have a go at 5711r using 18k gold or RO with blue sapphire “grande Tapisserie” dial design if these turn out OK.

I am still working on the pendants but hopefully soon I should have a stainless steel 5711 with dark blue sapphire dial and a 5167 pendant with the black Tourmaline.

Once finished I may send them to Patek UK as a gift for looking after me so well through my 5711 issues, although they will probably have to destroy them due to copyright infringement .
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 03:44 AM   #2
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonsai-man View Post
As the Patek forum seems a bit quite lately, I thought I would share how I have been spending my time in UK lockdown. I had an idea for a project after Patek Philippe UK generously gave me a tour of the UK service and polishing facility recently.

As an amateur lapidarist (gemstone polisher) I found a lot of the techniques used by Patek Philippe were similar to what I used to polish gemstones Although IMO cutting and polishing gemstone by hand is more difficult as I have to first shape the material which is a lot harder than most metal. I also need to consider the shape, size, colour, orientation and symmetry by eye and in 3D. I am not just applying finishes to preformed machine stamped metal blank.

Any way I started with a stainless-steel bolt and a stainless-steel dining fork. I cut the bezel and applied the finishes. Next was the gemstone insert cut from a black Tourmaline which was more difficult than I thought. I was originally going to make cufflinks, but as I don’t wear long sleeve shirts very often, I decided to make some pendants instead. I may have a go at 5711r using 18k gold or RO with blue sapphire “grande Tapisserie” dial design if these turn out OK.

I am still working on the pendants but hopefully soon I should have a stainless steel 5711 with dark blue sapphire dial and a 5167 pendant with the black Tourmaline.

Once finished I may send them to Patek UK as a gift for looking after me so well through my 5711 issues, although they will probably have to destroy them due to copyright infringement .

share some photos!!
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 04:44 AM   #3
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

The project is not complete but I have just taken some quick pictures for you. The 5711 pendant still needs some shaping and then polishing but hopefully you get the idea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1a.jpg (75.2 KB, 1000 views)
File Type: jpg 1b.jpg (92.6 KB, 998 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (66.2 KB, 992 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (70.4 KB, 1007 views)
Old 5 April 2020, 04:46 AM   #4
mnl
"TRF" Member

Watch: 15450ST
Quote:
The project is not complete but I have just taken some quich picks for you. The 5711 pendant still needs some shaping and then polishing but hopefully you get the idea.

that’s so cool! fun way to spend time during the lockdown haha it’s looking good already, but look forward to seeing the final result!
mnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 05:04 AM   #5
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

It was quite hard to get the vertical graining on the top surface of the bezel correct and also the mirror polish to the bevel. I need to cut the corners in on the polished bevel which I will do last., but the bezel has the correct finishes. Vertical graining on the top, mirror polish to the bevel and brushing to the sides.

I am not sure what finishes to apply to the rest of the pendant yet, I may do vertical graining to the top, polish the sides and brush the back, but it is quite hard due to the small size.
Old 5 April 2020, 02:23 PM   #6
peter_shore
Banned

When did you go for the work shop visit? I was there 2nd week of March
peter_shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 April 2020, 11:01 PM   #7
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

I was there in January, how did you find it.
Old 5 April 2020, 11:16 PM   #8
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

A few more pics for you all, including my inspirational wrist shot.

OK, so 3 hours later and I got the scratches out. I decided to brush the front and back and polish the sides. Just need to weld the 2 parts together and cut the Sapphire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5711.jpg (93.3 KB, 796 views)
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (87.9 KB, 796 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (125.8 KB, 786 views)
Old 6 April 2020, 02:16 AM   #9
zahain
"TRF" Member

you should fill the inner bezel section hole when completed with a epoxy resin with a cool colour
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 03:06 PM   #10
ticky
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP, Rolex
Quote:
Originally Posted by zahain View Post
you should fill the inner bezel section hole when completed with a epoxy resin with a cool colour
Now that is a legendary idea.
ticky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 10:03 PM   #11
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was going to fill the inner bezel section with a custom cut natural dark blue sapphire gemstone, with horizontal lines cut like the 5711 dial.

I have already cut the custom black gemstone in the 5167 style as you can see in the pictures on the catalog above. Cutting the Sapphire should be easier as the lines are straight not curved like the 5167.

Although you’ve given me another idea, I may try and create a micro dial on brass and cut a clear sapphire crystal like the Patek cuff links.

If anyone has any other ideas I’d be interested.
Old 6 April 2020, 11:42 PM   #12
zahain
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I was going to fill the inner bezel section with a custom cut natural dark blue sapphire gemstone, with horizontal lines cut like the 5711 dial.

I have already cut the custom black gemstone in the 5167 style as you can see in the pictures on the catalog above. Cutting the Sapphire should be easier as the lines are straight not curved like the 5167.

Although you’ve given me another idea, I may try and create a micro dial on brass and cut a clear sapphire crystal like the Patek cuff links.

If anyone has any other ideas I’d be interested.
What about the backside? Are you going to engrave your initials or maybe a laser a design? Send one of these to me for free and i'll send you a thank you card
zahain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 02:16 AM   #13
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Quote:
What about the backside? Are you going to engrave your initials or maybe a laser a design? Send one of these to me for free and i'll send you a thank you card
I have finished the back with vertical brushing the same as the middle case of the Nautilus. I did see in the pictures a couple of tiny marks only visible with magnification which I have now corrected.

I am not sure how many I will make as I need more steel and stone. Unlike the watches each of these pendants are hand made from scratch and represent 40+ man hours each. I may send one to Patek to see if it meets the “Patek Seal of quality”, hopefully they won't destroy it. Any others probably less than 5 will be gifted or sold but only for cost of materials (no grey prices here).

I may consider your request as you we’re first and asked so nicely, I always wanted a genuine thank you letter.
Old 6 April 2020, 03:17 PM   #14
Ny325
"TRF" Member

Watch: DW-5600BB
Your not alone. I’m locked down in my hometown, NYC. And my 36mm SS DateJust, SS Submariner Date are always on lockdown too. I hope this pandemic goes away soon. Everyone be safe.
Ny325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 03:22 PM   #15
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Wow I’m subscribed and am excited to see the end product!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 April 2020, 03:22 PM   #16
schoolboy
Banned

Watch: 116234
Good job so far

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
schoolboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 02:57 AM   #17
KBM
2024 Pledge Member

Cool project. Can't wait to see how the finished piece looks like.
KBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 April 2020, 10:45 AM   #18
rayshipley
"TRF" Member

Great project to follow along with
rayshipley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 April 2020, 01:37 AM   #19
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

I have made the steel for the 5167 pendant and some dials, the lines on the 5711 seem a bit wobbly when zoomed in but look OK by eye. I think the ears on the 5711 are a little big and need slight adjustment tighten the shape. I need some blue paint before I can finish the dial for the 5711 unless I leave it as it is. I also need some sapphire crystal to protect the dials when I set them.

I still have not given up on gemstone dials, I have found some nice Lapis Lazuli for the 5711 and black Jadeite for the 5167. Production has stopped until I get the materials, I need so I am going to check out the latest price crash predictions on the forum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5711.jpg (11.6 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg dial.jpg (6.2 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg front1.jpg (12.8 KB, 277 views)
File Type: jpg front2.jpg (12.3 KB, 276 views)
File Type: jpg back.jpg (11.0 KB, 275 views)