The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 5 April 2020, 02:43 AM   #1
bonsai-man
"TRF" Member

Way too much time on my hands in UK lockdown

As the Patek forum seems a bit quite lately, I thought I would share how I have been spending my time in UK lockdown. I had an idea for a project after Patek Philippe UK generously gave me a tour of the UK service and polishing facility recently.

As an amateur lapidarist (gemstone polisher) I found a lot of the techniques used by Patek Philippe were similar to what I used to polish gemstones Although IMO cutting and polishing gemstone by hand is more difficult as I have to first shape the material which is a lot harder than most metal. I also need to consider the shape, size, colour, orientation and symmetry by eye and in 3D. I am not just applying finishes to preformed machine stamped metal blank.

Any way I started with a stainless-steel bolt and a stainless-steel dining fork. I cut the bezel and applied the finishes. Next was the gemstone insert cut from a black Tourmaline which was more difficult than I thought. I was originally going to make cufflinks, but as I don’t wear long sleeve shirts very often, I decided to make some pendants instead. I may have a go at 5711r using 18k gold or RO with blue sapphire “grande Tapisserie” dial design if these turn out OK.

I am still working on the pendants but hopefully soon I should have a stainless steel 5711 with dark blue sapphire dial and a 5167 pendant with the black Tourmaline.

Once finished I may send them to Patek UK as a gift for looking after me so well through my 5711 issues, although they will probably have to destroy them due to copyright infringement .
bonsai-man is offline   Reply With Quote