The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Do you want Patek to increase the production of Nautilus?
YES 86 40.95%
NO 124 59.05%
Voters: 210. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31 December 2019, 07:20 PM   #31
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Originally Posted by singaporepatek View Post
This has nothing to Do with value and status of patek as a brand. Patek already has this for Value and status of Patek as a brand by having exclusive application only pieces. A stainless steel 3 had $30k watch made popular by social media influencers has nothing to do with Patek status as a brand and frankly seeing rappers with diamond studded Nautilus only hurts the image of Patek. This isn’t AP or hublot.
I think your argument is confused. You want Patek to increase production of the nautilus, but at the same time not become an AP, which is now synonymous with the Royal Oak and offshore. That is exactly the reason not to increase production of the nautilus.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 08:40 PM   #32
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
I like to wear watches that I rarely see in the wild (in my circles primarily, but also beyond). So I’m glad that production numbers are low, even if that means there are some watches I want but can’t get.

I was horrified recently when an idiot good friend of mine decided to pay the premium to buy a Dweller 116600. As I’m out with him a lot and it never leaves his wrist, mine has pretty much become a beater only!

And now, another good friend has bought himself a Pepsi, so now I have two beater watches!!

If any of my friends buy a 5990, I will be in all sorts of trouble!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 08:55 PM   #33
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
Please do not.

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 08:58 PM   #34
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
I am an owner that wants to milk it’s value :)

I’m not going to lie. I enjoy the ever so slight exclusivity.
You can't even have that exclusivity at home when your wife and daughter all wear the 5711 next to you.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 09:21 PM   #35
italiafan
"TRF" Member

I think many of us who are fortunate enough to have the means to satisfy many of our “wants” almost immediately have become ever more so seekers of instant gratification. We then often take on the ugly mantle of petulant children and stamp our feet when the world around us doesn’t comply with that expectation, whether it be service situations or material possessions.

There is something to be said for anticipation, and the humility it brings. I recall as a child making out birthday and Christmas wish lists, and waiting months to see if I got what I wanted (though, unlike Christmas Story, I never did get that Daisy BB gun I lusted after).

I am fine with Patek keeping production low. It makes the obtaining and ownership all that much sweeter.
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 11:25 PM   #36
Token74
"TRF" Member

Watch: Too many!
Quote:
Originally Posted by italiafan View Post
I think many of us who are fortunate enough to have the means to satisfy many of our “wants” almost immediately have become ever more so seekers of instant gratification. We then often take on the ugly mantle of petulant children and stamp our feet when the world around us doesn’t comply with that expectation, whether it be service situations or material possessions.

There is something to be said for anticipation, and the humility it brings. I recall as a child making out birthday and Christmas wish lists, and waiting months to see if I got what I wanted (though, unlike Christmas Story, I never did get that Daisy BB gun I lusted after).

I am fine with Patek keeping production low. It makes the obtaining and ownership all that much sweeter.

This is the second post of yours that I’ve read in the last two minutes, and you’ve nailed both! Consider yourself followed!!

Patek Philippe Nautilus 5990 - AP Royal Oak 15300 - AP Royal Oak 15450 Blue - AP Royal Oak 15450 Silver - AP Royal Oak Offshore 26480 - Royal Oak Offshore 15710 - Rolex Sea Dweller 116600 - Rolex Daytona 116519 - Rolex GMT 126710 BLRO - Omega Speedmaster Reduced - JLC Reverso GMT Moonphase - TAG Microtimer - Dent Pocket Watch - JLC Atmos Phases de lune
Token74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 11:27 PM   #37
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
You can't even have that exclusivity at home when your wife and daughter all wear the 5711 next to you.
Lol. Not when I’m hiding in the bathroom by myself

Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 11:29 PM   #38
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:

I totally agree with waiting
As long as It’s not me
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31 December 2019, 11:52 PM   #39
srvrf
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: PP/AP
Do you want Patek to increase the production of Nautilus?

In reality there are two answers.

Current owners - no.
People on lists - yes until I get one, then no

Sure it’s frustrating but exclusivity is part of the game whether it’s for status or value retention. And the comments about being patient are excellent. Heck, the mere possibility of getting one in 2020 has kept me from buying other watches so I’ve been able to resist the urge for something now for something better later.

srvrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 January 2020, 07:40 AM   #40
italiafan
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Token74 View Post
This is the second post of yours that I’ve read in the last two minutes, and you’ve nailed both! Consider yourself followed!!

Thanks...stalked?
italiafan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 06:24 PM   #41
Patekandrolex
Banned

why is this, why people dont want patek increase nautilus
Patekandrolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:34 AM   #42
archer1021
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them!
Part of the allure is that they don’t make that many. I think where they are now is fine.

I also own a few so I guess I’m biased but still, I’m still waiting on a white ceramic Daytona and I’m fine with it. I get it. In a way that’s a big reason why I want it.

archer1021 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:40 AM   #43
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls
I m sure they won t ,if they really smart they guide the hype to the PM versions or (i hope so)they release a TT finally .

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 03:57 AM   #44
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekandrolex View Post
why is this, why people dont want patek increase nautilus
Because there is no reason to dilute and devalue the brand with a flood of product.
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 04:09 AM   #45
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
Quote:

Agreed. The Naut bubble will deflate to a degree at some point, but the 5711 and 12 are always going to be hard to get hold of, and long may that continue (no, I don't have one, and am not seeking one). Personally, I much prefer the weight, look, and feel of the 5712s in PM.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 05:57 AM   #46
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
only if they start making them with ceramic bezel

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 09:39 AM   #47
jamerson80
"TRF" Member

I've wanted the 5711 since I was in med school, before I knew how in demand it was. By the time I've found myself in a position to afford one I was put back a bit by how hard it is to get, but I did enjoy starting my collection and developing relationships with ADs to the point I've finally been told I will likely get one sooner than I think. I think limited production has only made me more excited to finally (hopefully) be getting one soon. Plus, it allows me to enjoy my new 5205G for a bit longer.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
jamerson80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 12:18 PM   #48
WatchBrothersLondon
2024 Pledge Member

Would you want it if everyone had it...

WatchBrothersLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 12:59 PM   #49
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchBrothersLondon View Post
Yes.

I buy what I like. And I don't care what everyone else wants.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 04:24 PM   #50
jtli202
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchBrothersLondon View Post

I work in the financial district in Toronto and I can tell you I hardly ever see high-end watches during my day-to-day unless its a Rolex Datejust or Sub. I think in my ~3 years working I've only seen 1-2 AP's.

Point is, 99.9% of the population can't (or won't) drop $30K (retail) for a watch, so you won't have to worry about "everyone" having it.

If you frequent instagram and watch forums, yeah you will see a bunch of people with Nautiluses but that isn't representative of the population.
jtli202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 04:50 PM   #51
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtli202 View Post
I work in the financial district in Toronto and I can tell you I hardly ever see high-end watches during my day-to-day unless its a Rolex Datejust or Sub. I think in my ~3 years working I've only seen 1-2 AP's.

Point is, 99.9% of the population can't (or won't) drop $30K (retail) for a watch, so you won't have to worry about "everyone" having it.

If you frequent instagram and watch forums, yeah you will see a bunch of people with Nautiluses but that isn't representative of the population.
Agreed.

Patek could double Nautilus production, solve a lot of our problems, and still virtually NO ONE will have one on their wrist.

In all my life, I've yet to run into someone with a Nautilus on their wrist when I'm not actively attending a watch related event or having lunch / coffee with friends who are also collectors.

Those of you worried that increasing Nautilus production will dilute the brand or cause these watches to be any less desirable are kidding yourselves. :)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 05:51 PM   #52
spoon-turbo
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP
I hope they increase production until the day I am able to buy one at AD. They could stop prod right after.
spoon-turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 06:14 PM   #53
nevergiveup
Banned

anyone who has one does not want to increase one that don't have one wants an increase
nevergiveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 10:17 PM   #54
1William
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex/Others
I would like to see them increase production.
1William is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 January 2020, 12:02 AM   #55
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
It would be nice to see production increase on all of the high-demand watches, such that either (a) a wait-list (no matter how slow) is feasible to deliver on or (b) dealers can more reliably offer the SS pieces to their active-purchasing regular customers.

It used to be that way for Daytonas, both the list or the big spender. So, there can still be exclusivity and the wait, and you have a viable option for folks who don't want to go to the grey market.

Right now, you can walk into a PP AD and buy a nice annual calendar and they have no pull-through to get you a SS Nautilus. [I know there may be a rare exception to this].

A nice analog to consider is the Hermes Birkin or Kelly bags. It's well known that if you purchase a lot of goods at one time in a major store, you are likely to be able to get a Birkin (ordered or that day). Further, the FSH flagship store has a process that is fairly reliable, though you need to win a daily lottery for a leather goods appointment.
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote