The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 17 January 2020, 11:37 PM   #1
Becweb
Banned

Dropping a Nautilus / Aquanaut hoping to buy

As the title suggests, with the scarcity of sports models at PP, and if one manages to try a watch already allocated to someone in the shop and waiting to be collected, what typically happens if the watch is purposely (with acting of course) dropped on the floor and a dent / scratch results? Would the same watch still be sold to the customer waiting, hoping he doesn't spot the damage?
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 January 2020, 11:51 PM   #2
Flex368
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yes!
Usually this situation can´t occur as a watch that´s waiting to be picked up by another customer will be waiting for him sealed in the delivery packaging.

Watches that already have been sold or specially ordered for a customer never leave the safe before the actual buyer arrives, at least my AD handles it this way.
Flex368 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 12:32 AM   #3
Becweb
Banned

Thank you Felix. I remember reading some posts about people trying a watch that was destined to another customer thanks to having a good relationship with the shop.

Makes sense to keep the watches in their package / seal.
Becweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 12:59 AM   #4
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
I do not remember what happened when I got my 5712, but recently when I picked up the Aquanaut in the Salon the SA brought the watch in the PP sealed bag and cut the bag in front of me.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 02:21 AM   #5
Pantheon
Banned

Watch: VC and AP
it can actually vary, My AD lets me look at and hold watches that are already sold. Of course all the stickers/plastic are not to be removed. I'm always super careful with any watch at the AD regardless of whether its been sold or not though.
Pantheon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 03:04 AM   #6
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master 16750
My local AD will let you see a watch destined for another, but wont let you handle it.
The Argonaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 03:27 AM   #7
locutus49
Banned

Watch: Platona
My AD, which handles PP, JLC, Lange, and IWC among others lets me try on everything. Yesterday the owner brought out a gold 5712 for me to try but it was huge on my wrist, definitely felt larger than 40mm. Of course I am extremely careful.
locutus49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 07:20 PM   #8
nevergiveup
Banned

A sealed watch could been dropped at the factory before being sealed. Dropped anytime while at the mother shipped. I doubt if a watch is finished and its dropped Patek would send it out without batting an eye. Hence complaints who's watches were sealed to discover marks on the case or movements that are misbehaving.
nevergiveup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:12 PM   #9
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CastorKrieg View Post
I do not remember what happened when I got my 5712, but recently when I picked up the Aquanaut in the Salon the SA brought the watch in the PP sealed bag and cut the bag in front of me.
Standard for both my new ones
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 08:39 PM   #10
Passionata
"TRF" Member

Watch: the girls

@Becweb
OP is it your new buy tactique,ask hard to get pieces dropping them on the floor and make an offer to the seller.
Bith harsh but maybe effective

"Also remember that feet don't get fat and a watch will always speak volumes." Robert Johnston
---------------------
*new*https://youtu.be/EljAF-uddhE *new *

http://youtu.be/ZmpLoO1Q8eQ
IG @passionata1
Passionata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 11:11 PM   #11
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
This new tactic is interesting I might try it. Will report back. Might have kid Ninja do it.
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18 January 2020, 11:57 PM   #12
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becweb View Post
As the title suggests, with the scarcity of sports models at PP, and if one manages to try a watch already allocated to someone in the shop and waiting to be collected, what typically happens if the watch is purposely (with acting of course) dropped on the floor and a dent / scratch results? Would the same watch still be sold to the customer waiting, hoping he doesn't spot the damage?
I certainly hope that you are not suggesting that you would intentionally drop and damage a Patek watch just so you have the chance to purchase it?

Or is that your intent?

Wow
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 12:56 AM   #13
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by beshannon View Post
I certainly hope that you are not suggesting that you would intentionally drop and damage a Patek watch just so you have the chance to purchase it?

Or is that your intent?

Wow
I think that’s what he’s suggesting
Old 19 January 2020, 12:59 AM   #14
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

They are insured. I'm certain they would just get a new one or PP would require them to send it in. Cannot imagine you could get away with then asking for it, that would not go over well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:03 AM   #15
WatchLurv
Banned

Watch: Swiss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flex368 View Post
Usually this situation can´t occur as a watch that´s waiting to be picked up by another customer will be waiting for him sealed in the delivery packaging.

Watches that already have been sold or specially ordered for a customer never leave the safe before the actual buyer arrives, at least my AD handles it this way.
+1 to this.
WatchLurv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:17 AM   #16
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Guess I am a little slow but I don’t understand the purpose of this thread , what am I missing??:-))
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:52 AM   #17
V25V
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james272 View Post
Guess I am a little slow but I don’t understand the purpose of this thread , what am I missing??:-))

OP is trying to figure out a way to cop a nautilus or aquanaut by dropping it, thereby damaging it, just enough to force the AD to sell to him instead of person it is named to. It's wrong on so many levels.

V25V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 01:53 AM   #18
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post
OP is trying to figure out a way to cop a nautilus or aquanaut by dropping it, thereby damaging it, just enough to force the AD to sell to him instead of person it is named to. It's wrong on so many levels.

OP wants to know if he drops someone else’s incoming. Would he get to buy it.

Edit. I was trying to respond to james

What comes to mind is...would it be okay to rob a dead guy
Old 19 January 2020, 01:55 AM   #19
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:31 AM   #20
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Try it and report back to us
Old 19 January 2020, 02:48 AM   #21
BigAppleBill
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by timepieceluvr View Post

Someone at Barrett-Jackson could try this approach as an experiment. Put a door ding in that Chiron and see if they’ll sell it to you cheaper.
BigAppleBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 02:50 AM   #22
timepieceluvr
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigAppleBill View Post
Someone at Barrett-Jackson could try this approach as an experiment. Put a door ding in that Chiron and see if they’ll sell it to you cheaper.

timepieceluvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:12 AM   #23
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
That's how I got my 458. I just dinged it up a little on the test drive.

Is this what some have come to? The strategy for getting a PP SS piece is to ask to see one, drop it, and hope they then sell it to you?

Still, let's play this craziness out. If that's the plan, you need to make sure of a few things: (a) don't try the watch on over the counter. You need a good drop for this plan to work, and the counter is maybe 1-2 feet above your wrist. The counter is a no-go. This plan needs height, around 5-6 feet to work; (b) absolutely avoid sitting down. If the PP AD offers you a seat for comfort while you try on the watch, don't be a rookie and get sucked in--unless you are planning to fall off the chair. If so, you need involve (c); (c) make sure you are standing over or very nearby to a marble floor. You need to be sure when you drop the watch, or dive off the chair (not forgetting to roll a few times in true Hollywood, "I've been shot" style), the case will get hit the floor and get a good ding. Ideally, you want to aim for 2-3 hits of the watch on the floor to be safe, and see the rotor or mainspring fly out. Thus, avoid carpeted areas at all costs. They'll ruin the plan.; and lastly, (d) have a decent apology on hand for why you dropped the watch, or dove and rolled several times, and offer to fix the watch. Say something like, "shit, I'm sorry I jacked the watch up. The least I can do is repair it, and then keep it afterwards."

Let us know how the plan goes.
Old 19 January 2020, 04:39 AM   #24
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Argonaut View Post
That's how I got my 458. I just dinged it up a little on the test drive.

Is this what some have come to? The strategy for getting a PP SS piece is to ask to see one, drop it, and hope they then sell it to you?

Still, let's play this craziness out. If that's the plan, you need to make sure of a few things: (a) don't try the watch on over the counter. You need a good drop for this plan to work, and the counter is maybe 1-2 feet above your wrist. The counter is a no-go. This plan needs height, around 5-6 feet to work; (b) absolutely avoid sitting down. If the PP AD offers you a seat for comfort while you try on the watch, don't be a rookie and get sucked in--unless you are planning to fall off the chair. If so, you need involve (c); (c) make sure you are standing over or very nearby to a marble floor. You need to be sure when you drop the watch, or dive off the chair (not forgetting to roll a few times in true Hollywood, "I've been shot" style), the case will get hit the floor and get a good ding. Ideally, you want to aim for 2-3 hits of the watch on the floor to be safe, and see the rotor or mainspring fly out. Thus, avoid carpeted areas at all costs. They'll ruin the plan.; and lastly, (d) have a decent apology on hand for why you dropped the watch, or dove and rolled several times, and offer to fix the watch. Say something like, "shit, I'm sorry I jacked the watch up. The least I can do is repair it, and then keep it afterwards."

Let us know how the plan goes.
A brilliant plan, well thought out and explained succinctly. May I suggest that the OP get ahold of several worthless old watches and perform a few trial runs, dropping the watch on different surfaces from different heights to judge the effects?
Additionally, OP should practice the "drop and roll" wearing roller blade safety gear to avoid injury while perfecting the authenticity of the act.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:46 AM   #25
Bearxj86
"TRF" Member

Watch: 3970
The key is to have a broken nautilus in da pocket for a bait and switch
Bearxj86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19 January 2020, 04:48 AM   #26
The Argonaut
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cascavel View Post
A brilliant plan, well thought out and explained succinctly. May I suggest that the OP get ahold of several worthless old watches and perform a few trial runs, dropping the watch on different surfaces from different heights to judge the effects?
Additionally, OP should practice the "drop and roll" wearing roller blade safety gear to avoid injury while perfecting the authenticity of the act.
Brilliant. I love the finishing touches applied. Simply outstanding.
Old 19 January 2020, 05:52 AM   #27
Fat_ninja
Banned

You guys are amatuers... just scratch the bracelet with my keys. Buy the watch for a discount and then buy a new link
Old 19 January 2020, 05:58 AM   #28
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Do they have to be dead? What if they're just unconscious or sleeping? Would it be okay to rob them then?
Old 19 January 2020, 06:01 AM   #29
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
You guys are amatuers... just scratch the bracelet with my keys. Buy the watch for a discount and then buy a new link
No, too obvious. The idea is to make it look like an accident.
Old 19 January 2020, 07:04 AM   #30
Humble michael
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5711 white , 5990,
Quote:
Originally Posted by V25V View Post

That’s what I mean !
Humble michael is offline   Reply With Quote