The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 21 January 2020, 10:54 AM   #61
Fat_ninja
Banned

Watch: P-01
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichiran View Post
Same situation as me last year when the gray 5726 got discontinued. However, they released the blue 5726 in Mar which I like even more. Sometimes things happen in a good mysterious way.
You got me they going to release a different blue dial 5711. My mind is officially blown
Fat_ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:56 AM   #62
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayshipley View Post
What actually does happen to folks on the waitlist? Are you now waiting for the blue?
Nothing happens because there isn’t really a waitlist. Half joking.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:57 AM   #63
tchaic
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tag Heuer 2000
I may sell my 5711A white dial. Was really close to letting it go. Now this has me wondering.
tchaic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:00 AM   #64
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Mostly blue dials
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_ninja View Post
You got me they going to release a different blue dial 5711. My mind is officially blown
I think it will be a different non-blue 5711 (like the brown one of the ladies' Nautilus), or maybe a blue 5990. Sometimes it happens that way.
Ichiran is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:06 AM   #65
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
I think it will be a different non-blue 5711 (like the brown one of the ladies' Nautilus), or maybe a blue 5990. Sometimes it happens that way.
Interesting
Old 21 January 2020, 11:07 AM   #66
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Interesting
Time to increase to 5 5711s. This small amount is not going to make a dent to your RM budget anyway.
Old 21 January 2020, 12:16 PM   #67
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: SD43
Quote:
It's also possible that they will hold off on producing a new color and give a small boost to the number of blue 5711s that are made?
321Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 12:22 PM   #68
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemeister View Post
It's also possible that they will hold off on producing a new color and give a small boost to the number of blue 5711s that are made?
Yep this is also possible. Some Nautilus only has 1 variant, like the 5726 now, 5990 and 5712 (though it also comes in 5712R). However, if that is the case, I'm not sure if they are going to increase the 5711 blue production. Maybe not.

To be fair, there is still the 5711/1R.
Old 21 January 2020, 12:28 PM   #69
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Yep this is also possible. Some Nautilus only has 1 variant, like the 5726 now, 5990 and 5712 (though it also comes in 5712R). However, if that is the case, I'm not sure if they are going to increase the 5711 blue production. Maybe not.

To be fair, there is still the 5711/1R.
Ironically, if they boosted supply by 20% it would probably not be noticed.

Someone should publish an April Fool's PR about Patek's struggle to meet demand for the 5711 and announce the decision to outsource to another company. Not sure which is funnier, that they partner with Lange ("we have the craftspeople and plenty of unused steel blanks") or with one of the AAA Chinese counterfeit suppliers ("They're already doing it as good as we do.").
Old 21 January 2020, 12:50 PM   #70
soundserious
"TRF" Member

I think two-tone is a logical idea. Generally speaking Patek needs a wider selection of two tone watches. While they don’t necessarily appeal to enthusiasts, they are very popular amongst civilians.
Old 21 January 2020, 12:51 PM   #71
Patekaddict
"TRF" Member

I'm sure it must be really disappointing for everyone who has been waiting for months and years to obtain the white 5711,more disappointing for the ones who passed on other great timepieces in order to obtain one. Gentleman this should be a lesson to all going forward, when a ad offers you a great timepiece you don't pass because the opportunity might not be there again. Many factors come in place

A) ad lost his license with patek
B) patek discontinues the timepiece
C) price increase
D) someone walks in and spends $500,000 and the piece you wanted and were next in line went to him.

Yes the 5711 white dial is a great timepiece and was always under appreciated compared to the blue dial, and this is a sign from patek to never discriminate. In my opinion this is definately the beggining of the 11 line getting phased out of steel as Mr Stern stated in many interviews, it's not in their interest to keep the nautilus line, and that is not what patek is about.

And yes I do think they will release a special timepiece this year at Basel as ninja stated the 2 tone 11 might be in the pipeline. Or maybe a yellow gold with a white dial?

Suprised why nobody is talking about the 5370P being discontinued now that's a low production timepiece which is marvelous and suprised it was around only for a few years.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Patekaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 01:10 PM   #72
Ichiran
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakemeister View Post
Ironically, if they boosted supply by 20% it would probably not be noticed.

Someone should publish an April Fool's PR about Patek's struggle to meet demand for the 5711 and announce the decision to outsource to another company. Not sure which is funnier, that they partner with Lange ("we have the craftspeople and plenty of unused steel blanks") or with one of the AAA Chinese counterfeit suppliers ("They're already doing it as good as we do.").
I doubt he is going to increase Nautilus production to meet demand. He has opined that several times and the Nautilus are still extremely hard to get even with a relationship.
Old 21 January 2020, 01:18 PM   #73
321Forever
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
I doubt he is going to increase Nautilus production to meet demand. He has opined that several times and the Nautilus are still extremely hard to get even with a relationship.
You are correct! It's actually unimaginable. We just need to reduce the number of viable buyers somehow...someone needs to make something even more attractive to spend money on....
Old 21 January 2020, 01:23 PM   #74
Patekaddict
"TRF" Member

I know a way all these problems can go away.......

Option A) patek raises prices on all nautilus and aquanaut timepieces 60% and the Grey market goes away completely.

Option B) keep pricing the same but increase production flood the market and nobody will want one then.......

Option B will never happen and option A won't either..... Don't you see it Mr Stern and his friends are sitting around the table and laughing at other brands that they have accomplished something that other brands dream off...........

And where were all these "real buyers" "collectors" 5 years ago when every ad had any Nautilus in the case and couldn't sell them at 30% off.?

Patekaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 03:05 PM   #75
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Well, there goes one more item off my wait list. Not because my number finally came up, but because Patek discontinued it.

That said, this isn't a surprise to me. There's a few more discontinuations in the pipeline.

Patek hasn't officially discontinued it in that it's not taken down from their website. They're pretty religious about removing from their site. What has happened here is they have not allocated any new ones for 2020, and that sends the signal to ADs that it's being discontinued in advance of their Basel releases (same process was followed the past few years).
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 06:39 PM   #76
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patekaddict View Post

Option A) patek raises prices on all nautilus and aquanaut timepieces 60% and the Grey market goes away completely.

Option B) keep pricing the same but increase production flood the market and nobody will want one then.......

Option B will never happen and option A won't either..... Don't you see it Mr Stern and his friends are sitting around the table and laughing at other brands that they have accomplished something that other brands dream off...........

And where were all these "real buyers" "collectors" 5 years ago when every ad had any Nautilus in the case and couldn't sell them at 30% off.?

Isn't the real difference between 5 years ago and today that the amount of wealth in existence has doubled?
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 07:05 PM   #77
yoast
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Would u buy a TT blue dial?
Absolutely not
Old 21 January 2020, 07:16 PM   #78
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
My guess is that ut will be replaced buy another 5711, lets guess what color / metal? Maybe a black dial in steel or grey dial white gold...
5711/1J blue I hope...
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 07:44 PM   #79
GreenLantern
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
5711/1J blue I hope...
I would be *all* over a 5711/1J. And I'm not usually a yellow gold wearer.

Bring it!

(I'd love it with a green dial, though that would be a crazy, crazy direction for Patek, and I doubt they'd do it.)
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 07:44 PM   #80
EmilA
"TRF" Member

I was on the list for one, though I asked to receive it in 3 years time to mark a certain birthday. Now I’ll have to go back and ask what otherwatch I can move to
EmilA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 09:41 PM   #81
CastorKrieg
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP
Quote:
Yes the 5711 white dial is a great timepiece and was always under appreciated compared to the blue dial, and this is a sign from patek to never discriminate. In my opinion this is definately the beggining of the 11 line getting phased out of steel as Mr Stern stated in many interviews, it's not in their interest to keep the nautilus line, and that is not what patek is about.
That is absolutely not the case - Nautilus is part of PP heritage and history. What Sterns have done (and which shows their level of business acumen vs. AP) is they never put all their eggs in one basket, and when steel sport watches started getting off they carefully positioned them to stimulate and draw attention to other watches in their catalogue. My guess is their sales data shows the effect of 'bundling' that spreads to other pieces.
CastorKrieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:52 PM   #82
unknown
"TRF" Member

Quote:

What are you talking about??
Every steel nautilus had a waiting list since 2006
The premium was not that big

But never, never, never were they widely available at your AD
And 30% discount??? NEVER !!
Old 21 January 2020, 10:54 PM   #83
frommer
"TRF" Member

Should we expect another mad price increase?
frommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 10:59 PM   #84
frommer
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown View Post

+1.
Living in Spain ten years ago and having AD down the street, even being "special" to them all I could get - "sorry, can't help, it is possible" (c)

30% off ? NEVER!!
Old 21 January 2020, 11:07 PM   #85
frommer
"TRF" Member

Quote:

I lived in Spain for 5 years (2010-2015), had AD down the street. I haven't seen a single Nautilus in stock. Tell me where and when you could get 30% off? I got my 5712a only in 2014 in Germany after 2 years and 2 months being on the waitlist.
Old 21 January 2020, 11:10 PM   #86
cascavel
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

Thank you for pointing this out. I didn't have the courage to. Only one time in the last 10 years did I see a steel 5711 on display at an AD in NYC and it was a white dial. Five years ago I got on the wait list for a blue dial 5711 at an AD on 5th Ave. Haven't heard anything, yet.
cascavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:19 PM   #87
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:

With respect my observation is different

And Patek Philippe on bond Street London UK, will vouch similarly.

Ive seen blues of all sorts, and white and gold in various ad until most recently, and certainly prior to around 2013 ish...
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 January 2020, 11:23 PM   #88
Fat_ninja
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoast View Post
Absolutely not
Then they definitely doing the TT

Upside is my wife likes it :)
Old 22 January 2020, 01:27 AM   #89
ts3
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busyboy View Post
With respect my observation is different

And Patek Philippe on bond Street London UK, will vouch similarly.

Ive seen blues of all sorts, and white and gold in various ad until most recently, and certainly prior to around 2013 ish...
Lucky you.

Curious to learn what you consider most recently... Yesterday? One year ago? Several years ago?

More seriously, it very much seems to depend whereabouts. In Munich I basically got laughed out of Wempe in 2015 when I wanted to get on the wait list for a 5711 blue as a first time buyer of a new Patek. Turned to the small-town AD in my home town and waited for 2 years and 10 months.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 January 2020, 01:41 AM   #90
Busyboy
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ts3 View Post
Lucky you.

Curious to learn what you consider most recently... Yesterday? One year ago? Several years ago?

More seriously, it very much seems to depend whereabouts. In Munich I basically got laughed out of Wempe in 2015 when I wanted to get on the wait list for a 5711 blue as a first time buyer of a new Patek. Turned to the small-town AD in my home town and waited for 2 years and 10 months.
I'd say after roughly 2013 is when it started to dry up.... By the time I bought my first I had to wait, 2015

But in the same store and others, had freely tried them on as stock prior
Busyboy is offline   Reply With Quote