The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 20 October 2017, 02:36 AM   #1
SearChart
TechXpert

I guess I'm a lazy nub

I just saw that a 20 year old finished the Moab 240 endurance run in 86 hours... I thought I was pretty active but now I realised I'm a lazy youngster who needs to train more.... who spends too much time on computer games and TRF

Now, let's quickly do an impulsive action and register for the 2018 Iceland ultramarathon and order some kettlebells so I can't chicken out
SearChart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 03:36 AM   #2
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SearChart View Post
I thought I was pretty active but now I realised I'm a lazy youngster who needs to train more.... who spends too much time on computer games and TRF
There's no need to feel that way Bas. Your personal commitment to individual fitness/training/competition far exceeds the average person's endeavors. By keeping your personal interests and activities 'in balance' you have afforded yourself the opportunity to be a well-rounded individual.

There are a lot of athletes (both amateur and professional) who despite their rigorous training and record-breaking accomplishments never live to see 80 or 90 years of age. I've got this personal theory that the human heart has only X amount of heartbeats (kind of like a watch) prior to shutting down. While I'm not advocating a sloth-like existence, there's no need to overdo it. You're right on track.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 03:54 AM   #3
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
There's no need to feel that way Bas. Your personal commitment to individual fitness/training/competition far exceeds the average person's endeavors. By keeping your personal interests and activities 'in balance' you have afforded yourself the opportunity to be a well-rounded individual.

There are a lot of athletes (both amateur and professional) who despite their rigorous training and record-breaking accomplishments never live to see 80 or 90 years of age. I've got this personal theory that the human heart has only X amount of heartbeats (kind of like a watch) prior to shutting down. While I'm not advocating a sloth-like existence, there's no need to overdo it. You're right on track.
I'd rather live to 60-70 and do things I love than live to 90 and regret not doing those things.
These insane long trail runs is a personal dream of me, I'd imagine that would give a very powerful feeling upon completion.

During my marathon two weeks ago I saw all kinds of people, so it's not 'extreme' enough anymore. Sure I'll run them to improve time, but I will never be a fast one. Ultras are getting more popular but are still batshit crazy to even most marathon runners, that is also why it's so interesting to me.

The Iceland ultra is 55k, which I think is a good start to get into ultras. The only thing that worries me is the terrain and the fact that it's self sufficient.

I need to gain muscle strength (hence the kettle bells) and gain a few pounds of muscle and fat.
Old 20 October 2017, 03:58 AM   #4
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
do it!

i might be there too, Bas. but i'll be in the hot springs with beer.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 03:59 AM   #5
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
do it!

i might be there too, Bas. but i'll be in the hot springs with beer.
I'll be there too, after the run
Old 20 October 2017, 04:01 AM   #6
Chewbacca
Banned

Watch: Kessel Run Chrono
Quote:
I'll be there too, after the run
we'll need a keg in that case.
Chewbacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 04:02 AM   #7
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewbacca View Post
we'll need a keg in that case.
A keg sounds fine, nothing is better than a little hydration.
Old 20 October 2017, 04:05 AM   #8
The Joker
"TRF" Member

I sometimes watch the London marathon on TV, I get a sweat on just watching.

Theres an Ultra in Amazon jungle, 254km, thick forest, swamps, snakes, crocs and killer insects.

www.junglemarathon.com
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 04:54 AM   #9
BristolCavendish
Banned

Quote:
I'd rather live to 60-70 and do things I love than live to 90 and regret not doing those things.
On the other hand, how about living to 90 with no real regrets? By lowering one's bar (in terms of projected/aspiring personal achievements) this outcome is potentially attainable barring any disruptive genetic, health and/or environmental factors. Add accident/injury factors into the equation and the overall picture gets even bleaker. I've never quite understood 'free-climbers' who elect to scale rocks/mountains with no direct-aid. The only time the average person hears of them is when they perish.

I was reading in today's SF Chronicle that Dwight Clark (aged 60) will be honored by the 49ers this weekend for his historic 'Catch' in the 1981 Dallas-SF play-offs. He now has ALS and is terminal. Lou Gehrig (for whom the disease is named after) only lived to be 37 despite a record-breaking HOF MLB career.

While fame and record-setting achievements are noteworthy accomplishments, sometimes it's better to be an unrecognizable and underachieving 'Joe Blow' with optimum long-term health prospects as newspaper headlines and team 'high-fives' are soon forgotten and overlooked by younger generations (aka Millennials).

While I'm not advocating being a 'slacker', I've never been one to bite off more than I could chew. As a result, my accomplishments are somewhat meager and insignificant.
BristolCavendish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 05:03 AM   #10
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I sometimes watch the London marathon on TV, I get a sweat on just watching.

Theres an Ultra in Amazon jungle, 254km, thick forest, swamps, snakes, crocs and killer insects.

www.junglemarathon.com
I'd be scared to get bit by something deadly at every step, no thanks Don't think my heart can survive 254km of running with fear
Old 20 October 2017, 06:24 AM   #11
jackjack305
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I just saw that a 20 year old finished the Moab 240 endurance run in 86 hours... I thought I was pretty active but now I realised I'm a lazy youngster who needs to train more.... who spends too much time on computer games and TRF

Now, let's quickly do an impulsive action and register for the 2018 Iceland ultramarathon and order some kettlebells so I can't chicken out

Today is a perfect day to start!
jackjack305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 07:10 AM   #12
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:

This is the right answer. No regrets Bas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BristolCavendish View Post
On the other hand, how about living to 90 with no real regrets? By lowering one's bar (in terms of projected/aspiring personal achievements) this outcome is potentially attainable barring any disruptive genetic, health and/or environmental factors. Add accident/injury factors into the equation and the overall picture gets even bleaker. I've never quite understood 'free-climbers' who elect to scale rocks/mountains with no direct-aid. The only time the average person hears of them is when they perish.

Wrong answer. Unless you consider participation awards to be real achievements, pushing yourself in your endeavors is always more fulfilling than some half ass effort just to say you did it.
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 01:59 PM   #13
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
I had to look that one up Bas. Apparently a 32 year old woman who's a school teacher from colorado won it with a time just under 58 hours! Don't these people need sleep ��
Old 20 October 2017, 03:37 PM   #14
SearChart
TechXpert

Some sleep a few hours, some very little. It's up to you, but remember that you can't run while you sleep
Old 20 October 2017, 05:33 PM   #15
yannis
"TRF" Member

Watch: maniac
I see your point Bass. I admire the Triathlon guys myself as i have trained for that doing one or two at a time never all three together. It does need commitment to make it to the finish on either MOAB or a triathlon Ironman challenge. Respect to the guys who have done those.

yannis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 October 2017, 09:21 PM   #16
Alexwwjd
"TRF" Member

Watch: Out!!!
It's just my humble opinion, but I just googled Moab 240 and some of those guys don't look too healthy to me...

I know I'm lazy and overweight and I celebrate when I reach 10k steps in a day...anyway, I'll start doing more exercise.

Please don't get me wrong, I know it's an achievement to do triathlons, marathons, spartan races, etc. and I respect that, but I agree with Mr. Cavendish.

Alexwwjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 09:07 PM   #17
SearChart
TechXpert

A youtuber that I've been following uploaded his race experience. These type of video's offer good information on gear, food and pace.

Old 22 October 2017, 10:24 PM   #18
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
If you are lazy, what does that make the rest of us?

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 October 2017, 10:30 PM   #19
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
This is the right answer. No regrets Bas.

Wrong answer. Unless you consider participation awards to be real achievements, pushing yourself in your endeavors is always more fulfilling than some half ass effort just to say you did it.
Right and wrong is based on a certain perspective. Only each individual can decide what is right, or wrong for them.

Curious though, why do you have such a hard on for BC? It seems like you follow him from thread to thread, picking apart his comments and bullying him?

Old 22 October 2017, 10:36 PM   #20
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexwwjd View Post
It's just my humble opinion, but I just googled Moab 240 and some of those guys don't look too healthy to me...

I know I'm lazy and overweight and I celebrate when I reach 10k steps in a day...anyway, I'll start doing more exercise.

Please don't get me wrong, I know it's an achievement to do triathlons, marathons, spartan races, etc. and I respect that, but I agree with Mr. Cavendish.

I agree with BC as well.

I’ll use CrossFit as my example.

I used to go at 75% all the time. I enjoyed the activity very much. I enjoyed the competition and the feeling of exhaustion after a workout. I enjoyed going everyday.

I then had an over 40 competition coming up and started training harder and went all out. In one week I hit three personal records in different lifting movements.

I was out of commission for two weeks afterwards.

That ultimately set me on a the path to back surgery.

Nothing wrong with enjoying the experience.

Sadly, I’ll never enjoy CrossFit again.

About to go and rock out on my elliptical. Happy Sunday all.

Old 23 October 2017, 03:45 PM   #21
emaking
"TRF" Member

Yes, I agree with you.
emaking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 04:30 PM   #22
Star Ferry
Banned

BC has a point. I've read that serial marathoners have shorter lifespans (vs. healthy people who do more moderate exercise) and frequently have scarring on their heart tissue. As for ultra-marathons, I would assume they are even riskier than standard-length marathons.

That's not to say Bas or anyone else should stop doing them. But I don't see an issue with mentioning the health risks involved.

Another problem IMO is that endurance & obstacle races are big business, and organizers have a vested interest in growing participation. But do they care about the well-being of the people who run in them? Take a look at this death during a "Tough Mudder" (founded by a Harvard MBA) race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs0gYU7uBcE
Star Ferry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 05:14 PM   #23
Andad
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: A few.
Hey Bas,

Has BC asked you to send the money yet?

Andad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 08:56 PM   #24
Abdullah71601
Banned

Watch: ing da Bears
Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog View Post
Right and wrong is based on a certain perspective. Only each individual can decide what is right, or wrong for them.

Curious though, why do you have such a hard on for BC? It seems like you follow him from thread to thread, picking apart his comments and bullying him?
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
Abdullah71601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 09:03 PM   #25
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
Quote:
If you are lazy, what does that make the rest of us?
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 10:24 PM   #26
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Ferry View Post
BC has a point. I've read that serial marathoners have shorter lifespans (vs. healthy people who do more moderate exercise) and frequently have scarring on their heart tissue. As for ultra-marathons, I would assume they are even riskier than standard-length marathons.

That's not to say Bas or anyone else should stop doing them. But I don't see an issue with mentioning the health risks involved.

Another problem IMO is that endurance & obstacle races are big business, and organizers have a vested interest in growing participation. But do they care about the well-being of the people who run in them? Take a look at this death during a "Tough Mudder" (founded by a Harvard MBA) race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs0gYU7uBcE
A similar death happened during one of those obstacle courses here in the Netherlands a few months ago.
The woman was already dead before she was found. Very sad. But as with anything, accidents happen and there is not much you can do about it.

I'm certainly aware of the fact that running marathons/ultramarathons isn't a healthy thing to do, but I consider that the price to pay for a life well lived.

I'm still young (23) with only two marathons under my belt, we'll see how far I can get in this hobby. I just really like running and combining it with a beautiful trail (iceland, moab, etc) is a 'grail'.
Old 23 October 2017, 10:24 PM   #27
SearChart
TechXpert

Quote:
Originally Posted by directioneng View Post
Hey Bas,

Has BC asked you to send the money yet?

Old 23 October 2017, 10:29 PM   #28
rolex75216
"TRF" Member

Let's see that 20 year old complete over 11,386 posts like you did on TRF!
rolex75216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23 October 2017, 10:34 PM   #29
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdullah71601 View Post
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of endeavor." Vince Lombardi
You are using someones statement of opinion, to justify your own statement of opinion?

Old 23 October 2017, 10:48 PM   #30
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
You are using someones statement of opinion, to justify your own statement of opinion?
Even more disturbing....

He quoted a famous packers coach and he's a bear fan!