The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Rolex & Tudor Watch Topics > Vintage Rolex Discussion

Old 20 March 2024, 01:29 PM   #1
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me
Does it make sense to stabilize this lume?

And will it alter the appearance?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rolex_1250.jpg (257.9 KB, 351 views)
Trogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2024, 04:27 PM   #2
MrBlobby
"TRF" Member

It doesn’t make sense to me. Are you referring to the hands? Why do you think you need to do something?
MrBlobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2024, 04:42 PM   #3
996marty
"TRF" Member

Watch: RolexGMT/Tudor7928
Can’t tell from the photo. I’d be concerned if the lume is showing cracks on the surface but it just looks discoloured,like I said it’s hard to tell
996marty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20 March 2024, 11:17 PM   #4
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Can't see anything in those photos. But generally, it's fine to stabilize the lume in hands from the back. Attempting to stabilize the lume on the dial is not such a good idea, IMO.
Old 20 March 2024, 11:47 PM   #5
Trogster
"TRF" Member

With hope, these pics off more clarity:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5513_3.jpg (271.9 KB, 306 views)
File Type: jpg 1675.JPG (275.7 KB, 305 views)
Old 20 March 2024, 11:55 PM   #6
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

We still don't know if you are referring to the dial or hands. In any case, my previous answer stands. If you are already having the watch serviced, so the hands will be removed, you might as well have them stabilized if you have any question about them. There's really no downside to it if you are already having the watch serviced. Just make sure that your watchmaker is familiar with the process.
Old 21 March 2024, 12:02 AM   #7
TuRo
"TRF" Member

Watch: ing the detectives
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S View Post
We still don't know if you are referring to the dial or hands. In any case, my previous answer stands. If you are already having the watch serviced, so the hands will be removed, you might as well have them stabilized if you have any question about them. There's really no downside to it if you are already having the watch serviced. Just make sure that your watchmaker is familiar with the process.
Perfectly fine....I only dream of 'stability' like that on my old 50's scruffers ! ps didnt mean to quote you got carried away....
Well, give me all you got but not love"
DIFFERENT FOR GIRLS - Joe Jackson
TuRo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 12:22 AM   #8
Trogster
"TRF" Member

To clarify, my concern is the longevity of both the hands any hour lume plots.
Old 21 March 2024, 12:26 AM   #9
Kingface66
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 1966 Rolex 5513
From what I understand, stabilizing the lume on hands is done from the back, where you can’t see the adhesive. How you would successfully stabilize the markers and not have them look shiny or “worked on” I’m not sure. But, I’ve seen attempts that look absolutely awful.
Old 21 March 2024, 12:49 AM   #10
Trogster
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingface66 View Post
From what I understand, stabilizing the lume on hands is done from the back, where you can’t see the adhesive. How you would successfully stabilize the markers and not have them look shiny or “worked on” I’m not sure. But, I’ve seen attempts that look absolutely awful.
That was my concern. I was hoping there was an adhesive that wouldn't impact the look of the lume plots. Perhaps a water soluble solution?
Old 21 March 2024, 12:53 AM   #11
swaini3
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1675 GMT, DRSD
Dont touch the hour plots. Hands, as mentioned, are done from the back.
swaini3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21 March 2024, 12:57 AM   #12
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trogster View Post
That was my concern. I was hoping their was an adhesive that wouldn't impact the look of the lume plots. Perhaps a water soluble solution?
Not to my knowledge. It would be a huge risk. Degradation of lume plots is a risk you take with a vintage watch.
Old 22 March 2024, 07:16 PM   #13
PVR
"TRF" Member

The way it's done on dials is with a matte spray. It will secure the tritium on the plots from degrading further but, it may also alter the appearance of the dial surface ever so slightly if you know what to look for. It can be done but there are risks.

On hands they use a water soluble product like Hodge Podge or even Elmers glue diluted with water. It's painted on the back of the hands and the water/glue mixture absorbs into the lume and once it dries it wont crack or flake out. The risk is that sometimes the hands become slightly darker color. Too much glue and the hands can get shiny or have too much material on the underside to clear one another (like on a 4 hand stack GMT). Too much water and you can dissolve the lume completely...
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22 March 2024, 09:53 PM   #14
Dan S
2024 Pledge Member

FWIW, I have never been able to see any change in color on hands that my watchmaker has stabilized from the back side.
Old 23 March 2024, 01:18 AM   #15
Tools
TRF Moderator & 2024 DATE-JUST41 Patron

Watch: GMT's
Stabilizing is needed when the lume begins to crumble and somebody wants to save the original composition.

Stabilizing is sealing, so a porous lume may change tone, or if broken up will need the sealant tinted to match the lume left.

Sealing and color matching hands is an art, so if you want to do it find a quality craftsman.

Some collectors covet originality and are fine with broken lume - it's about rare originality for them. Others prefer a solid reconditioning and fix of everything questionable. Both approaches are valid, but different.
Old 23 March 2024, 11:43 AM   #16
Classique Breguet
2024 Pledge Member

I am, right now, in the process of having some vintage tritium hands stabilized as a preventative measure to keep them looking as they are.
I'm having this done while the watch is getting other service and would be apart anyway.
Classique Breguet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24 March 2024, 10:29 AM   #17
zapokee
"TRF" Member

I would stabilize ASAP with a sympathetic restorer who knows how to maintain the aesthetic.

Lume isn't a problem until it's a problem. And it always is a problem.
zapokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25 March 2024, 01:01 AM   #18
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Interesting comments so far. I would agree with Dan, Tools and some of the other comments regarding the proper stabilizing of the hands. As far as the dial goes, I would not recommend, nor ever touch a dial with a process that is done to stabilize the markers by spraying a substance on the complete dial. Stabilizing the dial markers, if possible, or reluming them is one thing, spraying the complete dial to stabilize a dial is something that I would not have done to a dial.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 12:42 AM   #19
PVR
"TRF" Member

The guys I know that stabilize dial markers either spray the entire dial or they mask off the dial and just spray the plots. They use a template where only the plots are exposed and the dial is masked from the spray. Depends on the dial and the price a customer is looking to pay. It is more costly to mask the dial and time consuming, but an added benefit of not masking the dial (on matte dials) is that the scuffs and marks on the dial surface are removed by the spray, rendering a perfectly dark and blemish free surface.

On gilt dials the dial has to be masked but, the same matte spray is used to stabilize the plots

How do you think all of those dial guys remove drag marks and scuffs? With a pencil eraser?
PVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 02:07 AM   #20
gates
"TRF" Member

Watch: LVc
Your watch do what you want but a WIS collector is going to hit any vintage dial with a black light to verify this hasnt been done but if youre not concerned with this being an issue - its your watch
gates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 03:23 AM   #21
TimeLord2
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT Master 1675/3
When my watch was serviced I did ask for the hands to be stabilized as there was a small crack appearing in the GMT hand. I did not notice any difference in the color of the hands after the stabilization. It was done by Phillip Ridley.
TimeLord2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 06:58 AM   #22
tekno
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Tudor Snowflake
Stabilizing hands is accepted. Obviously send it to the right person.

Correct me if I am wrong someone, the lume on the hands is very thin and fragile. The dial is not, if the dial looks good now it should look good for a long time - as long as you make sure the dial stays dry and don’t let some jackass service it. Rolex hands are much more stable compared to Tudor Snowflake or Tudor Lollipop hands because there is more metal to stabilize the lume.

The dials are matte, if a clear coat was added the watch is worthless. Just enjoy the watches. No need to worry about this. I’m sure we will all be gone before these watches deteriorate as bad as you are worrying about.

Enjoy the watches, get the hands stabilized obviously. Both are very nice examples.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 08:00 AM   #23
ETonePJ
"TRF" Member

Watch: GMT Master
The lume appears fine. Doesn't look to be flaking, peeling or cracking. Since you can't undo the process, maybe watchful waiting is better for now?

I am impressed with the GMT's bezel colors. Mine has faded over the years. I know that collectors desire the "aged" look. But I really liked the deeper richer hues.

Very nice watches.
ETonePJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 March 2024, 09:31 AM   #24
springer
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-MASTER
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVR View Post
The guys I know that stabilize dial markers either spray the entire dial or they mask off the dial and just spray the plots. They use a template where only the plots are exposed and the dial is masked from the spray. Depends on the dial and the price a customer is looking to pay. It is more costly to mask the dial and time consuming, but an added benefit of not masking the dial (on matte dials) is that the scuffs and marks on the dial surface are removed by the spray, rendering a perfectly dark and blemish free surface.

On gilt dials the dial has to be masked but, the same matte spray is used to stabilize the plots

How do you think all of those dial guys remove drag marks and scuffs? With a pencil eraser?

Those re-sprayed dials aren't of interest to any collectors that I have dealt with the past few decades. There is way too many shenanigans going on with vintage dials - many times being sold as original without the buyer having a clue about what they are buying which is usually claimed to be original when it isn't and obviously appears to have been re-laquered. What a shame indeed. But, as someone else said, it's your watch, you can do whatever you want.

INSTAGRAM USER NAME: SPRINGERJFP
Visit my Instagram page to view some of the finest vintage GMTs anywhere - as well as other vintage classics.
springer is offline   Reply With Quote