The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Old 1 December 2020, 05:24 PM   #1
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex SS Daytona
Zero Halliburton carry on

Thinking about getting a Zero Halliburton carry on. Anyone have any experience with them? Pretty pricey, but I’d be up for it if it lives up to the hype.

One concern I have are the wheels breaking off if checked. Seems like it would be an issue with any luggage that has a set of four spinning wheels. The wheels on this model seem more robust.

https://zerohalliburton.com/products...13864689860667
BLACKHORSE 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 10:26 PM   #2
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
I prefer a four wheeler and if in aluminum than go for the real deal RIMOWA
Attached Images
File Type: png Snip20190427_2.png (99.9 KB, 309 views)
Old 1 December 2020, 10:37 PM   #3
BreguetRolex
Banned

Watch: TIMEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
I prefer a four wheeler and if in aluminum than go for the real deal RIMOWA
There is no other and I concur.. !
BreguetRolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 02:54 AM   #4
FiftyTwoEighty
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: me live @the Beach
Zero Halliburton carry on

I have a Halliburton because it’s like my tool watches. They get used.

1) It went to the Moon!
2) We sold one of our subsidiary companies to Halliburton, about 10 years ago.
3) And my Dad used them when I was a kid.

And the Halliburton is always easy to identify in a sea of Rimowas and Tumis.

https://zerohalliburton.com/products...-carry-on-case

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some 4 digits, 5 digits, and 6 digits

2FA
FiftyTwoEighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 03:05 AM   #5
swils8610
2024 Pledge Member

I’ve had a Zerohaliburton brief case for 20 years. It’s indestructible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
swils8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 03:27 AM   #6
Dave455
"TRF" Member

I have two Zero Halliburton briefcases and a Rimowa.

No contest.

Zero Halliburton are superior in every respect. They are formed in one piece from thick material and are incredibly rugged. The Rimowa less so.

I fly for a living, and can tell you that as far as checked in luggage is concerned, the aluminium Rimowa’s get battered to bits. They would probably fare better as a carry on, but for the money I’d go Halliburton. A lot of the German cabin crew use Rimowa, but they get it heavily discounted.

I have a Rimowa flight bag, but it’s the (now discontinued) plastic one with the alloy frame. These cases actually last much better as the plastic flexes when struck. The aluminium just dents. The Halliburton doesn’t flex or dent!

Oh - and Halliburton are the real deal. Although a modern design, they have actually been made since the 1930’s!
Dave455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 03:53 AM   #7
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
An early use of the Halliburton case was to drop oil rig drilling tools to the production operations in remote areas where vehicle transport was very difficult. Airplane flew by and dropped the case with heavy tool inside.

A tough number indeed.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 10:15 AM   #8
ERH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex Explorer II
I started in the oilfield in the late 70s, Halliburton cases were the go to cases, briefcases, suitcases, tool cases. I still own my cases, indestructible, remain sealed, locks and hinges worked. I have a wheeled Zero carryon which has gone around the world several times. Expensive yes, but over time you don't have to buy another one.
ERH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 12:22 PM   #9
Brenngun
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex & Tudor
Had a ZH for about 25 years. Very durable mechanical locks and frame however do not go with any color other than silver. I picked gold. Big mistake. Within a couple of years the typical scuffs and scratches started to turn the corners and the 2 formed ridges on each side into silver. Also be prepared for small dings if you bump it into sharp corners of tables etc.

Brenngun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2 December 2020, 03:09 PM   #10
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Thanks for the responses.

I don’t mind signs of wear, nicks or dings as long as it stays intact and in working order. Adds character.

I’ve looked at the Rimowa but think I’d rather stick to Halliburton.

Thanks again!
Old 2 December 2020, 11:47 PM   #11
sgwatchguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: R/AP/FPJ/Hermès/et
My Rimowa classic flight has seen some serious abuse over the last many years and continues to soldier on. It shows the mileage and looks great that way. I actually dislike seeing shiny perfect Rimowa’s cos those are being carried for bling and not as luggage.
Old 3 December 2020, 12:59 AM   #12
stratguy
"TRF" Member

Watch: Speedmaster Pro
Does anyone know where they are made?
stratguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 03:54 AM   #13
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratguy View Post
Does anyone know where they are made?
The majority of Halliburton’s are made in the U.S. Certainly all the aluminium cases.

The top end Rimowa’s are made in Germany, the majority are not. Not sure where.

One other comment for the O.P. The aluminium cases are great if you are confidant it will always be a cabin bag. If you think there is any risk you might ever have to check it in, choose something different.

None of these bags that have wheels added, and I think both Halliburton and Rimowa come into this category, have wheels that are durable enough for baggage handling. Buy a reasonable quality case with integral wheels. Get one with a frame and proper locks (zippers are useless, but cheap) and sides that flex!
Old 3 December 2020, 04:07 AM   #14
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

No dog in this fight but I used Halliburton cases for years for cameras and photography gear.

Two cases for 30 some years.

These were before roller cases so all that mattered was water tight and tough hinges/clasps.
Old 3 December 2020, 04:16 AM   #15
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

I would look @ Briggs & Riley too.
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 03:01 PM   #16
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave455 View Post
The majority of Halliburton’s are made in the U.S. Certainly all the aluminium cases.

The top end Rimowa’s are made in Germany, the majority are not. Not sure where.

One other comment for the O.P. The aluminium cases are great if you are confidant it will always be a cabin bag. If you think there is any risk you might ever have to check it in, choose something different.

None of these bags that have wheels added, and I think both Halliburton and Rimowa come into this category, have wheels that are durable enough for baggage handling. Buy a reasonable quality case with integral wheels. Get one with a frame and proper locks (zippers are useless, but cheap) and sides that flex!
It will primarily be a carry on bag. I rarely check luggage because I pack light. If it does end up checked for a flight and gets banged or scratched up, so be it. Character looks great!

The wheels holding up is something I worry about. The model I’m looking at has two wheels that are integrated as you suggest, and it looks pretty sturdy. I think this is an older design that they still offer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 94F9B2A7-DD3E-4917-B784-890F09CB213A.jpeg (37.5 KB, 104 views)
File Type: png 813C5427-76B4-4AF1-88CB-CA622934534E.png (274.0 KB, 102 views)
Old 3 December 2020, 05:03 PM   #17
dddrees
"TRF" Member

Watch: This N That
Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
I would look @ Briggs & Riley too.
And if I remember correctly they offer a life time warranty where Zero Haliburton only has 5 years.

Loyal Foot Soldier of The Nylon Nation.

Card Carrying Member of the Global Association of
Retro-Grouch-Curmudgeons
dddrees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 05:37 PM   #18
youthagainsttt
"TRF" Member

Watch: Piaget,Rolex,AP,HB
Love my delsey bag, have had a few metal cases such as samsonite, rimowa but the delsey just looks smarter, more business like & don't need to worry abt scratches as its fabric. Got it in a v dark navy
youthagainsttt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 01:29 AM   #19
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I think with these things there is also the concept of what is fashionable and ego boosting.

Can I really check into this high class hotel without LV luggage mentality. What will people think of me.

The other concept is practicality. Halliburton was (not sure if they still are) the gold standard for toughness back in the day. That's what photographers/filmmakers/instrument handlers used. Maybe not pretty, but tough as hell.

So you have two schools of opinion, tough as nails and who cares what it looks like, or will this pass the peer test.

I realize this is a Rolex forum.
Old 4 December 2020, 04:45 AM   #20
BLACKHORSE 6
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post
I think with these things there is also the concept of what is fashionable and ego boosting.

Can I really check into this high class hotel without LV luggage mentality. What will people think of me.

The other concept is practicality. Halliburton was (not sure if they still are) the gold standard for toughness back in the day. That's what photographers/filmmakers/instrument handlers used. Maybe not pretty, but tough as hell.

So you have two schools of opinion, tough as nails and who cares what it looks like, or will this pass the peer test.

I realize this is a Rolex forum.
I know what you mean. A lot of people buy expensive things for the “peer test” rather than for themselves.

I’m about to take on a new position at work that will require a good amount of travel. The luggage I have is hand-down stuff from my on-laws that’s now falling apart. I like the idea of purchasing a piece of kit that will be with me over the long haul, which usually means paying extra on the front end. Just want to make sure that Zero Halliburton fits that bill.
Old 4 December 2020, 05:28 AM   #21
joli160
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blansky View Post

They also go together, LV luggage and Rimowa not only look great but are very well made and both can handle some serious abuse.
Like a Rolex indeed
Old 4 December 2020, 05:37 AM   #22
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by joli160 View Post
They also go together, LV luggage and Rimowa not only look great but are very well made and both can handle some serious abuse.
Like a Rolex indeed
THANK YOU as I was waiting for someone else to sy this besides me.. ! Nothing like my LV Rimowa Luggage..

D2464002-6882-4EB4-8211-493668C1D870.jpeg
Old 4 December 2020, 08:21 AM   #23
watchbobby
"TRF" Member

Watch: All of them
I'm curious. I've had this discussion with my sister. She likes to buy luggage on the more expensive side, while my feeling is to buy something a little more "disposable". When travel was more common pre-covid, there was always the concern of luggage theft at airports. With high-priced luggage, you not only run the risk of losing your expensive accessory, but you just might attract more un-wanted attention from thieves.

Am I over-thinking this?
watchbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 08:40 AM   #24
WatchEater666
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dddrees View Post
And if I remember correctly they offer a life time warranty where Zero Haliburton only has 5 years.
Yup. None of the other luggage manufacturers offer nearly as comprehensive a warranty which is big red flag IMO!
WatchEater666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 08:52 AM   #25
BreguetRolex
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchEater666 View Post
Yup. None of the other luggage manufacturers offer nearly as comprehensive a warranty which is big red flag IMO!

RED FLAG to whom..? Was no red flag in my purchase in over 25 pieces of Rimowa and more a tire kicking spew to me..
Old 4 December 2020, 10:38 AM   #26
Dave455
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKHORSE 6 View Post
It will primarily be a carry on bag. I rarely check luggage because I pack light. If it does end up checked for a flight and gets banged or scratched up, so be it. Character looks great!

The wheels holding up is something I worry about. The model I’m looking at has two wheels that are integrated as you suggest, and it looks pretty sturdy. I think this is an older design that they still offer.
Then I think that is the way to go.

Definitely more durable than the aluminium Rimowa.

Those wheels look fairly sturdy to me. The two wheel style with integral wheels are much more durable than the four wheel “spinner” design. If you go to an airlines ‘damaged baggage’ office, they’ve usually got boxes and boxes of those wheels. Probably the most common damage.

To be honest, I’ve considered a Halliburton myself as a carry on, but with a flight bag as well, the Halliburton would end up being checked in whenever I was positioning. At one stage that was twice a week minimum, and that’s going to wreck the looks of any aluminium case.

That will probably last indefinitely as a carry on.