The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 December 2020, 02:02 AM   #1
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Oil vs electric....an interesting article

Please don't get political, but this could be an interesting preview of post a Covid world.

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...ign=pockethits
Old 4 December 2020, 03:34 AM   #2
MILGAUSS88
"TRF" Member

I think the author wrote the obit for oil a little to early.
I would be willing to bet there will be a boom in oil use after the vaccine is distributed.
MILGAUSS88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 03:49 AM   #3
Laszlo
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Date & No Date
Do you guys remember peak oil. The frenzy and fear, the insane speculation. Wasn’t that about 10-years ago?

Paul Henreid as Victor Laszlo in Casablanca
Laszlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 03:51 AM   #4
Paul7
Banned

The only oil shortage will be man made.
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 04:00 AM   #5
GB-man
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: addiction issues
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laszlo View Post
Do you guys remember peak oil. The frenzy and fear, the insane speculation. Wasn’t that about 10-years ago?

Yep I wrote a paper on it in undergrad for some bs class. I think it was around 2007 or thereabouts.
Old 4 December 2020, 04:09 AM   #6
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
We’ve got about 170 billion barrels to sell you if we could get some pipe laid

Sorry, that wasn’t meant to be political, just stating the obvious
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 04:36 AM   #7
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16750
I have 2 EVs and absolutely love them - particularly the Mini SE!

Thinking about selling the Porsche....
bondtoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 04:47 AM   #8
tudorbaja27
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor & Cartier
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

indeed
Old 4 December 2020, 06:17 AM   #9
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondtoys View Post
I have 2 EVs and absolutely love them - particularly the Mini SE!

Thinking about selling the Porsche....
I am on my second consecutive hybrid, but my next car will be EV.
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 06:19 AM   #10
TheVTCGuy
Banned

Watch: 126619LB
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
I am on my second consecutive hybrid, but my next car will be EV.
Oh, and I forgot to mention the at Danny83 is going to get me a deal around 70% off of MSRP on a top of the line Luxury EV. Maybe 75
TheVTCGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 06:22 AM   #11
Danny83

Watch: Yellow Gold
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheVTCGuy View Post
Oh, and I forgot to mention the at Danny83 is going to get me a deal around 70% off of MSRP on a top of the line Luxury EV. Maybe 75
Hotwheels or Matchbox ? !
Danny83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 01:05 AM   #12
mrricks
"TRF" Member

Watch: Yachtmaster
Someone please tell me where the electricity for these EVs comes from. Half of the electricity in the US still comes from coal. Natural gas is quickly replacing coal but it’s still a fossil fuel. It would probably be more efficient to power vehicles with natgas directly rather than convert natgas to electricity.
Old 5 December 2020, 01:22 AM   #13
Mountains
"TRF" Member

Watch: Submariner
I suspect oil still has a fairly strong future. It will become cheaper to extract with technology and I’m sure the ingenuity of man will work out how to reduce the co2 pollution.

Batteries also use rare metals which are difficult to extract without causing environmental damage. EVs certainly aren’t the environmental wonders they’re marketed as!
Mountains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:08 AM   #14
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

I posted recently about thermal power and this link is an interesting concept but I'm not sure either what is going to take up the slack until some of these technologies are developed further.

Bottom line though, we need to get off fossil fuels.

https://getpocket.com/explore/item/h...nge-everything
Old 5 December 2020, 03:23 AM   #15
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrricks View Post
Someone please tell me where the electricity for these EVs comes from. Half of the electricity in the US still comes from coal. Natural gas is quickly replacing coal but it’s still a fossil fuel. It would probably be more efficient to power vehicles with natgas directly rather than convert natgas to electricity.
From the Solar panels on my house roof.
Alternatively, my country is giving nightly produced wind power away for free because we can‘t store it. Would be great, if we all would charge our EVs over night for that.

For sure it doesn‘t make sense burning fuel and gas to produce electricity for EVs or even worse nuke.
Just shows that we must change the way how we produce the energy that we are using.
Old 5 December 2020, 03:25 AM   #16
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountains View Post
Batteries also use rare metals which are difficult to extract without causing environmental damage. EVs certainly aren’t the environmental wonders they’re marketed as!
Those are arguments from many years ago.
Future of car batteries looks much different and the CO2 burden from battery production are compensated after 10-20000 miles.
Old 5 December 2020, 07:21 AM   #17
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
The article addresses that by noting solar power is now the cheapest form of new energy capacity for most of the world. Solar cells have been getting progressively more and more efficient while economies of scale keep driving the price lower and lower. Add in things like Tesla's new solar shingles, and wider adoption of solar arrays that are motorized to follow the sun's track through the sky, and it's clear that much of the world will be able to meet their power needs that way. I look forward to the day where most new construction is able to be built off-grid. It doesn't seem like it's that far in the future anymore.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 07:32 AM   #18
Blansky
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
The article addresses that by noting solar power is now the cheapest form of new energy capacity for most of the world. Solar cells have been getting progressively more and more efficient while economies of scale keep driving the price lower and lower. Add in things like Tesla's new solar shingles, and wider adoption of solar arrays that are motorized to follow the sun's track through the sky, and it's clear that much of the world will be able to meet their power needs that way. I look forward to the day where most new construction is able to be built off-grid. It doesn't seem like it's that far in the future anymore.
Living in California, I'm surprised they 20 years ago they didn't make every new construction have solar. Minimal cost to the cost of a new home.
Old 6 December 2020, 05:11 AM   #19
twitch54
"TRF" Member

Watch: 1888 Appleton Trac
Quote:
not quite, coal currently generates just over 30%, basically even with natural gas
twitch54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 05:41 AM   #20
brandrea
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: es make me smile
There’s some interesting hydrogen technology for automobiles being developed too
brandrea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 05:47 AM   #21
CamSLC
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Patek
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitch54 View Post
not quite, coal currently generates just over 30%, basically even with natural gas
It's actually state dependent. Mine is 66% when last reported. Which is down substantially from 5 years prior.

https://www.eia.gov/state/

CamSLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 07:30 AM   #22
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
I drive diesel and get 40mpg and that’s just around town and close to 50mpg highway. The hybrid vehicles get maybe that and some less, but what’s the difference between filling up at the gas station or taking electric from Your house, which they in turn get from petroleum or other fossil fuels?
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 08:55 AM   #23
SPMN
"TRF" Member

Watch: Tudor, Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester01 View Post
I drive diesel and get 40mpg and that’s just around town and close to 50mpg highway. The hybrid vehicles get maybe that and some less, but what’s the difference between filling up at the gas station or taking electric from Your house, which they in turn get from petroleum or other fossil fuels?
Because alternatives to fossil fuels exist. Nuclear, wind, solar. This article, and many others, point out that solar is now the least expensive way to produce new energy. I'm sure coal and gas will exist in some form for a very long time, but they're on the way out, relatively speaking.

Even Cadillac plans to offer only EV vehicles by 2030.
SPMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 09:41 AM   #24
Chester01
"TRF" Member

Watch: 16610
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPMN View Post
Because alternatives to fossil fuels exist. Nuclear, wind, solar. This article, and many others, point out that solar is now the least expensive way to produce new energy. I'm sure coal and gas will exist in some form for a very long time, but they're on the way out, relatively speaking.

Even Cadillac plans to offer only EV vehicles by 2030.

I agree. It’s just a matter of time until fossil fuels are exhausted, and why not start now rather than wait until until that happens. That said, I do wonder with all these electric cars running now, and are pulling from some fossil fuels, I imagine many would be surprised to learn that their electric vehicles now as they exist as not as clean as they think. Once solar and wind, etc. take over electric cars will be actually clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chester01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 06:19 PM   #25
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

" Producing batteries for EVS is using up a lot of additional energy and adds pollution in comparison to traditional cars":

While that is true today, the negative effects of battery production are usually compensated by their efficiency in 10.000 - 20.000 miles.
Additionally nobody presently counts in the energy and pollution (esp. fracking) that is necessary to "produce“ and transport oil and gas!

"As our electric energy mainly comes from fossil (oil and gas) we can rather burn them in car engines instead of transforming them to electric energy in an industrial plant":

Let's take an example: An EV with 70 KW/hrs has a range of ~250 miles.
70 KW/h equals the energy of of 2,2 gallons of petrol!
How far can your car drive with 2,2 gallons of petrol?

Combustion engines are wasting 70-75% of the energy by converting the energy into heat.

So, even if we all drove EVs (which only use 30-35% of the energy of a combustion engine), our energy consumption in total would be significantly less - even if the electric power came by 100% from burning oil and gas.
Because EVs are so much more efficient and don't waste the largest part of the energy into heat!
Old 6 December 2020, 08:37 PM   #26
77T

There are EV Tradeoffs that will not be overcome for decades - primarily in the technologies and the infrastructure to allow long-range driving.

Those who claimed carbon footprint advantages hadn’t compared the carbon cost in production of the batteries. Plus, there is another cost to reclaim them when new ones must be installed.

The other technology that could extend ICE car market domination is future synfuel production economies of scale. Even today operational economies can get to $20/bbl. But building large scale synfuel plants is still prohibitively high compared to fracking and existing/new oil reserves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 10:27 PM   #27
superdog
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandrea View Post

I thought it was a decent joke.

IG: gsmotorclub
IG: thesawcollection

(Both mostly just car stuff)
superdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 11:32 PM   #28
mountainjogger
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: M99230B-0008
Quote:
I think your percentages are incorrect. In 2019 Coal accounted for 23.4% of US electric production.
https://www.eia.gov/tools/faqs/faq.php?id=427&t=3

And given the 2020 closures, that percentage has likely declined further.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...unced-in-2020/

Stay Safe.
Old 6 December 2020, 11:48 PM   #29
bondtoys
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post

The other technology that could extend ICE car market domination is future synfuel production economies of scale. Even today operational economies can get to $20/bbl. But building large scale synfuel plants is still prohibitively high compared to fracking and existing/new oil reserves.
Suggest that you research the energy that is needed to produce synthetic fuel and then think again.....

And with fracking nobody really considers the environmental damage that is caused by it
Old 6 December 2020, 11:49 PM   #30
Dyim
"TRF" Member

I am thinking of holding onto some of my ICE cars because they could be a dying breed. I truly enjoy the sound, feel, and even smell of ICE.

But I think North America will be slow to phase out ICE compared to Europe for a multitude of reasons.
Dyim is offline   Reply With Quote