The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 3 December 2020, 12:50 AM   #1201
Speedbird-1
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
Agree - the corner workers are told to keep the pins in until responding. The truth is more fire bottles are discharged by inadvertent handling than in fighting fires. This is due to stumbles, falls and overturned bottles. We have advocated for a double trigger safety like you see on Glock’s. The pins mean the bottle is never ready - the trigger would keep inadvertent discharges from happening but automatically disengage once the handle is pulled.

The Medical Car you saw is different than pace or safety cars that are used to pace the field formation lap or the restarts. It always follows standing starts for the first lap. The doctor who helped the corner worker with the fire bottle was most brave as he ran into the flames to grab Grosjean when he leaped over the barrier.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
As I have mentioned previously, those corner workers extinguishers, have been shown, yet again, to be less than adequate, even in the hands of the bravest of race marshals.
In this case, the Doctor seemed more au fait with the mechanics of the 'trigger'..maybe he was just a bit calmer.

It's an understatement to say, how fortunate all those involved in the incident were, that Grosjean wasn't knocked unconscious.
The consequences of that scenario, don't bear thinking about.......or, maybe, they do,.....and in some depth.

Fortune smiled at F1 on Sunday.
Speedbird-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 01:09 AM   #1202
77T
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedbird-1 View Post
It's an understatement to say, how fortunate all those involved in the incident were, that Grosjean wasn't knocked unconscious.
The consequences of that scenario, don't bear thinking about.......or, maybe, they do,.....and in some depth.

Fortune smiled at F1 on Sunday.

Yes so fortunate - or blessed if that is a good expression.

Had he hit a bit slower at the same angle, he would have been jammed under the top strand of guardrail and been trapped.

I teach the teams that fire is #1 - we all become firefighters until it’s out. Then extrication can commence.

Had the doctor failed to engage, GRO might have collapsed. So he did great.

So many other potentialities...

Does anyone really know what time it is?
77T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 03:52 AM   #1203
Latrodectus
2024 ROLEX DATE-JUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: GMT-Master II
Mick Schumacher is driving for Haas next year! Good news....

Member # 16057
4-Hands Club
Tosser Club Member
TRF Skypers Group
Latrodectus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 04:45 AM   #1204
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Anyone know why Ferrari have been so poor lately?
Are they pondering the unthinkable?

They were caught cheating with engine power but reasons were sealed by FIA.

That’s why all Ferrari powered teams are suffering this year. They have a huge power deficit compared with last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 05:01 AM   #1205
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Watch: AP RO 15400, FOIS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77T View Post
The doctor who helped the corner worker with the fire bottle was most brave as he ran into the flames to grab Grosjean when he leaped over the barrier.

Doctor also had an open face shield helmet on too!
texasmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 06:26 AM   #1206
sillo
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5 Digit
Quote:
Anyone know why Ferrari have been so poor lately?
Are they pondering the unthinkable?
as someone else mentioned they had a sealed settlement with the FIA regarding some engine shenanigans. Most theories involve them circumventing the fuel flow limit by confusing the sensor with some sort of interference.

On top of the huge power hit they took by having to redesign parts of the ICE, they also added a bunch of downforce (read drag) onto the car thinking they would have the same power level as last year. So now they have a draggier car with a weaker engine.

@TheGMTHand
sillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 06:34 AM   #1207
texasmade
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillo View Post
as someone else mentioned they had a sealed settlement with the FIA regarding some engine shenanigans. Most theories involve them circumventing the fuel flow limit by confusing the sensor with some sort of interference.

On top of the huge power hit they took by having to redesign parts of the ICE, they also added a bunch of downforce (read drag) onto the car thinking they would have the same power level as last year. So now they have a draggier car with a weaker engine.
And operationally, they've been a total disaster.
Old 3 December 2020, 07:01 AM   #1208
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasmade View Post
Doctor also had an open face shield helmet on too!

Yes, that’s true.

He’s not supposed to jump into the fire - but I bet both he and the Medical Car driver get visors by FP1 on Friday

Old 3 December 2020, 07:06 AM   #1209
Dr.Brian
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing the market.
Quote:

Exactly. Underpowered on the straights and too much downforce in the twisty bits. #2 to #6.
They won’t likely be much better next year as they will probably only address the downforce redesign and leave the engine as is.
The big ? is what Red Bull will do. If Ferrari had a competitive engine they might have tried to use that, but now who knows. I can’t see them really wanting to become an engine manufacturer. Are they going to join the super car constructors as well?

十人十色
Dr.Brian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 07:32 AM   #1210
OmegaJJH
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex & Omega
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
They won’t likely be much better next year as they will probably only address the downforce redesign and leave the engine as is.
May be wrong but I believe they have a fully redesigned engine on the dyno as we speak. It’s why Binotto isn’t attending races at the moment because he wants to focus on that.

OmegaJJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3 December 2020, 08:37 AM   #1211
77T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Brian View Post
The big ? is what Red Bull will do. If Ferrari had a competitive engine they might have tried to use that, but now who knows. I can’t see them really wanting to become an engine manufacturer. Are they going to join the super car constructors as well?

If Red Bull aspires to future top tier position in F1, then this is an ideal time before the caps hit.

If Honda will sell the IP, and contract the personnel then Alpha Tauri and Red Bull benefit. 2021 will be stopgap measures but if they do well in the 2022 design, they could attract clients.

Old 5 December 2020, 03:32 AM   #1212
walds11
"TRF" Member

Russell 1st in FP1. Very interesting. FP2 just started. It’s gonna be a great race weekend!
Old 6 December 2020, 04:22 AM   #1213
The Joker
"TRF" Member

Massively impressive by George
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Screenshot 2020-12-05 at 18.19.08.jpeg (88.1 KB, 79 views)
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 09:09 AM   #1214
DudePerfect
Banned

Watch: amacallit!
Like Mars Blackmon used to say “Must be the Car”!
DudePerfect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 12:35 PM   #1215
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Watch: 12800ft = 3900m
Quote:
Originally Posted by DudePerfect View Post
Like Mars Blackmon used to say “Must be the Car”!
Lots of people say that, but you had Gastly 3rd in FP3 behind Botas and Max. Then you have Albon in the same car as Max, same car Gastly under performed on, never as good as Max, because Max can actually drive. And then of course there's Botas himself on the same car(as Ham)....why is he not winning more....
This it's the car business is really a scape goat blurb for people who seem to not accept that Lewis can actually drive, I think any rational thinking person can admit he can drive after yet another dramatic win in Turkey.

Russell in second after Q3 while in the Mercedes says one thing....the kid can drive. Same as Leclerc behind the Ferrari.

Now lets get one thing clear, the MB team does have the best car in Formula 1, but to get behind the best car and actually be able to use it requires the best driver, only the best for the best.

Here's a great answer from Max on the issue, actually surprised and the most mature thing I've heard him say, and it's emphatically true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJCb3QeWv1Y
Rashid.bk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 02:25 PM   #1216
sillo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rashid.bk View Post
Russell in second after Q3 while in the Mercedes says one thing....the kid can drive. Same as Leclerc behind the Ferrari.
Agreed, 3 hundredths off the guy who has been in that car since 2017 and often gives Lewis a run in quali. I'm impressed.

@TheGMTHand
Old 6 December 2020, 03:12 PM   #1217
Rock
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Grail:Bluesy
It clearly says more about the car than it does about the driver. Have a look at Russell's placings this year. Any driver in the Circus could have qualified P.2 in that car.
Of course Lewis is a great driver, but how great we will never know because 6 of his 7 world Championships were in the far-and-away-best car. There were/are at least half a dozen drivers who could have won WCs in a car like that.

Foundation Member of 'Horologists Anonymous' "Hi, I'm Rocky, and I'm a Horologist..."
Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 06:33 PM   #1218
texasmade
"TRF" Member

2008, 2017, and 2018 the Ferrari cars were just as good if not better than what Lewis driving. 2014-2016 and 2019-2020, the Mercedes was by far and away the best car.
Old 6 December 2020, 07:54 PM   #1219
77T

The Official Formula One Thread!

Kudo’s to Russell for the result in Qually. Now we must see how it goes over the length of the race. This short-track bullring configuration could play into his hands. Fewer turns per lap reduces the risk of errors and maximizes the benefit for stronger engine packages.

Now about the Hamilton doubters...

For those in the “it’s the car camp”, that’s been true for the innovators for decades. So that is a factor. But it is just tablestakes to enter the game - such long-lived driver and constructor records don’t happen by car alone.

Consistency at every level has been a boon to the entire M-B team over the years. DAS is an example - consistent innovation. Pit stops, tire management, strategy, fuel delivery, compliance, etc. all contribute to pole positions and wins.

And that goes for drivers, too.

Just ask yourself “What if Hamilton had been at McLaren?” + “What if Kvyat (or ___________ - fill-in the blank) had been Bottas’ #2?”

Would Bottas have won as many driver championships?

Would M-B have won as many constructor championships?

Old 6 December 2020, 09:30 PM   #1220
daveathall
"TRF" Member

Watch: Various
A racing team just doesn't become best by building the best car, it is the whole package, they will have the best mechanics, the best pit team, the best tyre changers the best hospitality team, it would make sense that they also did their homework and picked who they thought was the best driver to fit in to that package, in this case, many knowledgeable high ups in the MB formula one hierarchy picked Hamilton, they wouldn't pick him if they didn't think he was the best for their car and team, would they?

When a driver's ability to make a difference of a fraction of a second to a cars performance, sometimes, that is all it takes to make him the best.

DAVE

daveathall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6 December 2020, 11:10 PM   #1221
DudePerfect
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock View Post
Of course Lewis is a great driver, but how great we will never know because 6 of his 7 world Championships were in the far-and-away-best car. There were/are at least half a dozen drivers who could have won WCs in a car like that.
See Nico Rosberg. Not the better driver then Lewis but still World Champion Mercedes driver because Lewis car let him down that year. If it wasn’t the car then another team should have won with better drivers, i.e. Fernando Alonso.

See Jensen Button. Definitely not the best driver but still World Champion ala the double defuser.

See Seb Vettel whom no one I talk with thinks was ever as good a driver as some people thought when he was with Red Bull winning Championships.

See George Russel of this year. Zero points in that junk car Williams puts out and I bet $ he scores some in the Merc today unless he does not finish race.

It’s not just an anti Lewis thing but in the modern era it will always be the car first then insert good driver to be considered great.
Old 6 December 2020, 11:36 PM   #1222
1st amg

Watch: Rolex,AP,Panerai
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
Massively impressive by George
I rest my case. Lewis championships is all car, some talent of course to bring the car home, but again, put any decent driver in that car and look what happens.
1st amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 12:06 AM   #1223
enjoythemusic
2024 Pledge Member

First, agree Russell is impressive as is the car. Yes the team, engineers, engine development, etc play HUGE roles... and so does a proper development driver. Cars are developed around the driver's style/talent/technique.

So yes, Mercedes is a great TEAM.

Ferrari's TEAM was great year after year at one point.

And then wildcards like Jenson winning F1 happens... due to a great TEAM.

I hope Russell wins this weekend, yet am sure the TEAM will ensure Bottas wins as needed for the 2020 driver's points standing to defend against Max.
“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'” -- Hunter S. Thompson

Sent from my Etch A Sketch using String Theory.
enjoythemusic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 7 December 2020, 01:13 AM   #1224
sillo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
but in the modern era it will always be the car first
It's basically always been that way. Look at the Mclaren Senna and Prost were driving.

F1 isn't a spec series, the best car is supposed to win.

@TheGMTHand
Old 7 December 2020, 02:16 AM   #1225
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1st amg View Post
I rest my case. Lewis championships is all car, some talent of course to bring the car home, but again, put any decent driver in that car and look what happens.
All car is a bit of a stretch. But as with anything competitive whether it’s military, business or sport where it’s heavily dependent on equipment, you cannot possibly expect that they’ll select any joe blow to get behind the best machine or equipment.
I think the denial to accept that Lewis is better(what ever that means to a person) than another driver is not rational I think. This amazing vehicle is not driving itself.

Next generation should be interesting but F1 is always going to produce a champion from a combination of three things, a great team that builds a great car that puts a great driver in it. You take one of those things out and you won’t net a champion or constructors title.
Old 7 December 2020, 02:21 AM   #1226
Rashid.bk
"TRF" Member

Quote:
It's basically always been that way. Look at the Mclaren Senna and Prost were driving.

Very well said. I assume people just don’t like Hamilton, honestly I don’t blame them, I’m not his biggest fan either. I just have to face facts and the data on how those two are produced more consistently by Lewis.
Old 7 December 2020, 02:31 AM   #1227
DudePerfect
Banned

Quote:

To compare Hamilton and Mercedes to McLaren and Senna is a stretch IMO.

I sure most will agree that the results of Roman walking away from last weeks crash was miraculous, incredibly inspiring and a testament to the safety and technology of the sport!

I am still in shock at the horror that was diminished in the blink of an eye because of the actions of safety personnel and Romans will to survive that culminated in the most memorable and positive moment in F1 of my life.

Good Speed Roman!

Good on Toto’s offer to let Roman finish his F1 career with a run in the Merc if nessescary to allow him to not end his career in a fireball. Romans interview with ESPN of what happened in those seconds is incredible to listen to.
Old 7 December 2020, 03:20 AM   #1228
DudePerfect
Banned

LeClerc!!!!

Yeah it’s not the car! first time in the Merc and leading the teams #2 who has been in the car all year. Hell Vandoorne would probably would be in 2nd in title race in that car!

Replace Checo or Max or apparently Russell for that matter with Bottas and then we’d see how good Hamilton really was!

Go McLaren!
Old 7 December 2020, 04:08 AM   #1229
sillo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
To compare Hamilton and Mercedes to McLaren and Senna is a stretch IMO.
Why is that a stretch? The MP4/4 was the most dominant F1 car ever and his two other championships were in McLarens that were arguably the best car in the field. McLaren won 4 straight double championships.

I'm not a Hamilton fan, but the guy can drive. Does everyone forget he almost won the WDC in his rookie year and won it in his sophomore season? He won 21 races before he even got to Mercedes. That's as many as Kimi has won in his entire career.

@TheGMTHand
Old 7 December 2020, 04:11 AM   #1230
DudePerfect
Banned

Looks like Mercedes have turned down power to Russell’s car on lap 55.

Quote:
Why is that a stretch? The MP4/4 was the most dominant F1 car ever and his two other championships were in McLarens that were arguably the best car in the field.
Simple. Those cars from the 80’s and early 90’s with refueling and less reliability were not the drive by wire virtual game cars of today’s F1.