The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > General Topics > Open Discussion Forum

Old 4 December 2020, 03:30 AM   #5641
steversaurus
"TRF" Member

Should have jumped on MRNA a couple months ago. Thinking of starting a position, but also wondering if I already missed the boat.
steversaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 04:54 AM   #5642
HippoPAPAmus
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steversaurus View Post
Should have jumped on MRNA a couple months ago. Thinking of starting a position, but also wondering if I already missed the boat.

I’ve got some options for after the expected approval, but I don’t know if I’d buy shares right now. If you’re wanting to buy a vaccine stock, I personally think PFE and JNJ are much safer places to put your money. Neither has the ceiling of MRNA, but both have a much more stable floor and nice dividends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HippoPAPAmus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 06:41 AM   #5643
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5 digit models
Talking Stocks 2.0

2020-12-3
Market on close imbalance :
$1.1B to the buy side.
jaisonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 06:57 AM   #5644
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:

I jumped in at $66. Sold all shares in late Aug. ha
Old 4 December 2020, 10:03 AM   #5645
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sins View Post
MRNA up another 2% today and over 11% since I mentioned it here on Wed. Next week is going to make it or break it for them when they report their efficacy rating, which based on everything I have been reading should be at the PFE 90% level or higher (supposedly rolling trials in UK have been 95%). This will also prove their platform for their customized cancer cure that this week also showed positive results https://www.fool.com/investing/2020/...linical-trial/. If the news is good next week, this will go through the roof, really is incredible what they are doing.

Moderna will likely sell 800 million doses in 2021 and 1 billion doses in 2022 at an average cost of $20 per dose. The revenue for 2021 is $16 billion and for 2022 is $20 billion. Assuming an operating margin of 20%, Moderna's operating profits would be $3.2 billion for 2021 and $4 billion for $2022. Considering an effective tax rate of about 17% and 21% respectively in 2021 and 2022 and a share count of 389 million and 400 million over the two years, the EPS contribution of the Covid-19 vaccine would stand at $6.80 in 2021 and $7.90 in 2022. Based on these numbers ONLY from mRNA-1273 and not even considering the value of the rest of the pipeline:

At 30 times earnings, that puts MRNA at a projected share price of $205 for 2021 and $237 for 2022 with just the aforementioned sales and OM is usually MUCH MUCH higher than 20% on drugs.

Currently at $90 and that does not take into account how amazing the rest of their pipeline is. Specifically have customized cancer cures via their mRNA platform. This should be an absolute home run.

I told everyone to hop on the MRNA train here a few weeks back when it was $90, specifically the leaps which are now up 275% - happy to post trade screenshots .

People keep trying to discredit MRNA because they can only sell XYZ of vaccines. What people forget is, this is just the BEGGINING for MRNA, it proves their mRNA technology and their extensive pipeline behind the vaccine - for a security that virtually generated no revenues before.

Also I see people compared the stock price against PFE. You have to remember the float for PFE is enormous at $5B and MRNA is ~300M (this is VERY important, it takes A LOT of buy upside to move PFE compared to MRNA which explains the massive swings in MRNA), thus it can move much higher and I think both will move higher on FDA approval this month. Also PFE is much harder to distribute at -70* where MRNA is much lower. This is a drop in the bucket for PFE in terms of revenue vs total revenue, compared to MRNA where this is a game changer.

It has been very volatile, if you aren't in, DCA in on dips.

Hope everyone else locked in from this post along with COTY and FDX (earnings in 14 days, will be distributing vaccine and are having to rent vans for demand, this will move to mid 300s and options are dirt cheap) from a few pages back, along with CVS I posted yesterday up another 4% today.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
7sins is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 12:47 PM   #5646
smc23
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
I'm new to investing so wanted to get insight on Shopify (SHOP). I am hearing a lot of amazon but not much mention of this other ecommerce stock. Am I better off with Amazon?

TIA
smc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 01:10 PM   #5647
vipereaper30
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: FPJ UTC
Tomorrow is going to be awesome, BCRX received approval for their oral HAE drug this evening. Congrats to those in on this one! CALA and CRVS next

https://ir.biocryst.com/news-release...tralstat-first
vipereaper30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 02:06 PM   #5648
chadwick4eva
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelorpepsi View Post
If you go to the Public Company Accounting Oversight Board (PCAOB) website, you will realise that most of the best performing companies are unsurprisingly audited by Big4 firms (e.g. BABA by PwC HK, NIO by PwC Zhong Tian, etc).

Here is the link for you, if you want to check for specific companies: https://pcaobus.org/resources/auditorsearch
Not PwC USA though- still a foreign auditor. Don't really care if its big 4 or not, you have to ask yourself whether or not you trust foreign auditors auditing foreign companies.

BABA is a decent buy here if things go as planned through 2023, but to me seems like there's reasonably high level of financial risk involved with their books.

This story from WSJ earlier this year is enough to give me pause with regard to any Chinese stock. Even though EY didn't technically "audit" Luckin's 2019 statements, they didn’t indicate having any issues with Luckin’s financial results for the first three quarters of 2019. Pretty bizarre situation.
chadwick4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 02:17 PM   #5649
Alan111
"TRF" Member

Alan111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 08:12 PM   #5650
JParm
2024 ROLEX DATEJUST41 Pledge Member

Watch: Yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smc23 View Post
I'm new to investing so wanted to get insight on Shopify (SHOP). I am hearing a lot of amazon but not much mention of this other ecommerce stock. Am I better off with Amazon?

TIA
SHOP has been a COVID darling and at this point is probably overpriced in my opinion (look at the numbers from Jan to now). If you need to be in it, you could always play options on weakness.

AMZN is the blue chip and has been consolidating at these levels for awhile and could be due for a rise, along with the rest of FAANG which has lagged the last month or so.

I'm very bullish on e-commerce as most know here, and I would also look into emerging markets like southeast Asia (SE) and Latin America (MELI); AMZN, SE and MELI are 3 of my largest holdings. There's also JMIA out of Africa but I'm not sold on the infrastructure to support delivery there and believe it's more of a momentum trade than the others which are much more established.
Old 4 December 2020, 10:13 PM   #5651
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Futures back up again this morning awaiting jobs numbers

Dow Futures +96 after the PFE supply chain selloff yesterday.

Jobs Report, Google, Pfizer, Marvell, HBO Max - 5 Things You Must Know Friday

https://www.thestreet.com/markets/5-...-friday-120420
Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 10:32 PM   #5652
JParm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smc23 View Post

TIA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpeezy14@hotmail.com View Post
SHOP has been a COVID darling and at this point is probably overpriced in my opinion (look at the numbers from Jan to now). If you need to be in it, you could always play options on weakness.

AMZN is the blue chip and has been consolidating at these levels for awhile and could be due for a rise, along with the rest of FAANG which has lagged the last month or so.

I'm very bullish on e-commerce as most know here, and I would also look into emerging markets like southeast Asia (SE) and Latin America (MELI); AMZN, SE and MELI are 3 of my largest holdings. There's also JMIA out of Africa but I'm not sold on the infrastructure to support delivery there and believe it's more of a momentum trade than the others which are much more established.
https://www.mas.gov.sg/news/media-re...s-in-singapore

SE also just got approved to be a digital bank in Singapore based on their value prop, among other things - thus the move pre-market here. They were 1 of 4 selected out of 14 applicants; this could be huge for them as a fintech player in the area. Really love this company.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/12/04/pand...wing-down.html

In other news, this is a good read on the state of the options market. I'm mostly long but am in options as well; if you buy right, it can be fruitful...I'm not so sure that most people (RH traders) are playing them correctly though.
Old 4 December 2020, 11:20 PM   #5653
beshannon
"TRF" Member

Watch: One of Not Many
Index of equal-weighted large caps outperforming cap-weighted group; similar reversals in past (noted by red circles) have indicated solid entry point for stock investors

@LizAnnSonders

@LeutholdGroup

@TuckSchool

@Bloomberg

[Past performance is no guarantee of future results]

Vacheron Constantin Traditionnelle Complete Calendar, Glashutte PanoInverse, Glashutte SeaQ Panorama Date, Omega Aqua Terra 150, Omega CK 859, Omega Speedmaster 3861 Moonwatch, Glashutte Senator Exellence, Rolex 116710 GMT Master II BLNR, Breitling Superocean Steelfish, JLC Atmos Transparent
beshannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 11:51 PM   #5654
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Watch: 126710 BLNR
Quote:

I am also watching JMIA. Nothing to move on yet, but will definitely be keeping it on my radar.

JWD531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 02:42 AM   #5655
7sins
"TRF" Member

Crazy day for SNOW the last two days, they are now trading 200x 2021 revenue, absolutely absurd to now have $100B valuation with reporting a measly $148M in revenue. Looking to add puts/short here, given market at all time high and this is clearly overbought.

CLDR much better play here, still under the radar for most people and a very low PE relative to other software stocks, this will move from $12 to $15 soon. Great earnings call yesterday, put the highlights below. Options are very cheap here and IV low ~50% depending on strike/expiration.

For the January quarter, Cloudera sees revenue of $219 million to $222 million, with non-GAAP profits of 10 to 12 cents a share, ahead of the previous Street consensus at $215.7 million in revenue and per-share earnings of 10 cents. For the January 2021 fiscal year, Cloudera now sees revenue of $862 million to $865 million, ahead of its previous forecast of $839 million to $853 million, with non-GAAP profits of 40 to 42 cents a share, up from 32 to 35 cents. The company also announced a $500 million addition to its stock repurchase plan. "We believe that Cloudera has never been better-positioned to capture more of the rapidly growing data management and analytics market opportunity for hybrid multi-cloud solutions," Cloudera CEO Rob Bearden said in a statement.
Richard Mille RG RM030 || Richard Mille RM72ti || AP 26240 50TH Green Royal Oak Chrono || AP Royal Oak Blue JUMBO SS 15202ST || AP ROO Diver Green 15720ST || ♕ Rolex Platinum Daytona Diamond 116506 || Cartier Santos
Old 5 December 2020, 05:21 AM   #5656
JParm

[QUOTE=jpeezy14@hotmail.com;11105369]https://www.mas.gov.sg/news/media-re...s-in-singapore

SE also just got approved to be a digital bank in Singapore based on their value prop, among other things - thus the move pre-market here. They were 1 of 4 selected out of 14 applicants; this could be huge for them as a fintech player in the area. Really love this company.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWD531 View Post
I am also watching JMIA. Nothing to move on yet, but will definitely be keeping it on my radar.
SE on fire with the news I alluded to earlier...I would stay with the blue chip (yes, SE is a blue chip IMO!) here versus venturing into the unknown / speculative with JMIA. Just my two cents.
Old 5 December 2020, 05:26 AM   #5657
JWD531
"TRF" Member

[QUOTE=jpeezy14@hotmail.com;11106167]
Quote:
https://www.mas.gov.sg/news/media-re...s-in-singapore

SE on fire with the news I alluded to earlier...I would stay with the blue chip (yes, SE is a blue chip IMO!) here versus venturing into the unknown / speculative with JMIA. Just my two cents.

I’m not buying any JMIA, I don’t know NEARLY enough yet about it, but it’s definitely been on my long term watch list for a few weeks now. If it becomes successful, I will have plenty pf future opportunities.

Old 5 December 2020, 05:33 AM   #5658
JParm

Quote:

I’m not buying any JMIA, I don’t know NEARLY enough yet about it, but it’s definitely been on my long term watch list for a few weeks now. If it becomes successful, I will have plenty pf future opportunities.

Agree.

https://www.barrons.com/articles/why...?mod=hp_LEAD_1

Good warning shot here for value investors, which I am not. Sector rotation has been greatly overdone in my opinion, and some of these travel stocks are nearing levels pre-pandemic for no reason.

Just listen to what the DAL CEO said about demand the other day and LUV's impending layoffs (1st time ever).
Old 5 December 2020, 05:48 AM   #5659
logo
"TRF" Member

Thoughts on HD at these levels? Seems too cheap to pass up.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 06:06 AM   #5660
smc23
"TRF" Member

Watch: SubC
Quote:

Thanks for your insights. I purchased a majority of AMZN and a small position in SHOP.
smc23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 06:13 AM   #5661
JWD531
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post

I’m waiting to see if it resumes up again off this floor within this sideways channel or if it plummets - it’s already bounced off this area 3 times previously, so I’m going to wait a bit before I add here. Although I already got in on one of the previous bounces in this area.

Old 5 December 2020, 06:16 AM   #5662
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by logo View Post
I like it along with LOW, options are very inexpensive. The longer dated options on HD are getting hammered today even though the stock is only down 1.5% (ATM jan 2022 calls are down 10%, there will be reversion), it is a good buying opportunity and easy to make money on that reversion.
Old 5 December 2020, 07:31 AM   #5663
jaisonline
2024 Pledge Member

2020-12-4

Markets on close : $1B+ to buy
Old 5 December 2020, 08:37 AM   #5664
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
I have held HD without selling since 1990.

Quote:
I like it along with LOW, options are very inexpensive. The longer dated options on HD are getting hammered today even though the stock is only down 1.5% (ATM jan 2022 calls are down 10%, there will be reversion), it is a good buying opportunity and easy to make money on that reversion.
Now it’s worth a lot of moolah
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 09:47 AM   #5665
logo
"TRF" Member

Quote:
I’m waiting to see if it resumes up again off this floor within this sideways channel or if it plummets - it’s already bounced off this area 3 times previously, so I’m going to wait a bit before I add here. Although I already got in on one of the previous bounces in this area.

Quote:
Thanks. Yeah calls were cheap. Bought some for Jan 15, figure we either see a reversal quick or we go lower. If we dip I’ll sell it for minimal loss then re-enter for a longer contract at the cheaper price. If it goes up it’s quick money.
logo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5 December 2020, 04:16 PM   #5666
chadwick4eva
"TRF" Member

Finding value is certainly not easy right now, but dripinvesting.org recently came out with their dividend spreadsheet with up to date info through december 3rd. In the past I've selected companies from all three tabs (dividend champs, contenders, challengers) based on some "quick and dirty" ratio and growth calculations. No DCF valuations, just looking at current and historic P/E and prior 5 year EPS growth and anticipated 5 year EPS growth. also looking for correspondingly high dividend growth rates (8-20%) and growth rate histories going back 5-10 years.

This method isn't perfect obviously, and relies heavily on halfway decent EPS growth assumptions, but I like to think that if a company has relatively high EPS growth projections of at least 10-15%+ year over year, it can make a significant dent in the P/E ratio over time and likely drive the share price. The more predictable the business, the better as well. Many of the companies I will list have anticipated EPS growth greater than 20%, so I feel like there's a margin of safety built in so long as the current P/E isn't too high. The bonus with these stocks is the corresponding dividend appreciation- the long term investor gets the best of both worlds. Here are a few potentials that I think could be buys based on the most current data.

Consumer Discretionary:

LOW
TGT
BBY
JOUT
THO

Johnson outdoors (JOUT) and Thor Industries (THO) are definitely the out of the ordinary picks here. Never have I considered buying an RV stock- but I actually think this pick may have some legs. THO is trading at 13x forward earnings, and the RV market is currently going through a huge boom of first time millenial buyers, and people who just don't want to be near others at the moment. A "work from RV" crowd is also a possibility in the future as remote jobs also have gained credibility during the pandemic, and the housing market has become extremely expensive. The article below references a new airstream model designed with office space in mind- seems like it would be fun to just roam around the national parks and work from Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc. If the RV market expands drastically over the next few years, Thor stands to gain heavily from that surge. Competitor Winnebago has a two year waiting list for their RVs, definitely a good sign for thor as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshmax...h=32ae97d62440

The other play is Johnson Outdoors. Trading at 16.4x forward earnings, they've managed to grow EPS a whopping 40% year over year for the past 5 years. Their dividend appreciation has also been substantial- 14.5% average year over year for the past 5 years. EPS Growth projections are a bit smaller- a conservative 14% for the next 5 years. They also have 0 debt. I think we will see strong consumer demand for their diverse range of camping and outdoors products for the coming years-people will be wanting to get outdoors more after being cooped up inside from pandemic for a whole year. This past summer local retailers around me were sold out of canoes and kayaks all summer long due to high demand. With so many Americans having built up so much savings over the course of the pandemic, it seems likely that a new canoe, kayak, camping setup, or RV could be on people's shopping lists for the coming few years. I will likely dip my toes in on both of these companies in the coming week. Thor has their quarterly earnings on the 8th- and while most analysts have actually predicted underperform (I have no idea why, RVs and trailers have been selling like hot cakes this year by all accounts I've seen), I think the stock could break out if they beat. I like BBY and LOW more than TGT at the current pricing, but all are probably relatively safe choices.

Healthcare:
Anthem
Humana
United
Eli Lily

Not sure why the insurance industry has lower multiples than the pharma and med device sectors, but anthem, humana, and united have been dominating the past few years as the insurance sector has consolidated heavily. All of them also have really solid growth prospects in the coming 5 years as well- on average 10-20% projected YoY EPS growth as they increase pricing and gain more customers. I like anthem and humana more than united at current pricing. Lily is pretty fully priced at the moment, but I still like it in the long run and don't think its the worst buy especially considering where we're trading at today.

Anyway, would love any feedback or thoughts on some of these. Also, has anyone ever considered YETI? I am a fan of their mugs but those coolers are pretty expensive. Their stock could be an interesting play on the "outdoors" investing motif I mention above.
Old 5 December 2020, 04:49 PM   #5667
7sins
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick4eva View Post
Finding value is certainly not easy right now, but dripinvesting.org recently came out with their dividend spreadsheet with up to date info through december 3rd. In the past I've selected companies from all three tabs (dividend champs, contenders, challengers) based on some "quick and dirty" ratio and growth calculations. No DCF valuations, just looking at current and historic P/E and prior 5 year EPS growth and anticipated 5 year EPS growth. also looking for correspondingly high dividend growth rates (8-20%) and growth rate histories going back 5-10 years.

This method isn't perfect obviously, and relies heavily on halfway decent EPS growth assumptions, but I like to think that if a company has relatively high EPS growth projections of at least 10-15%+ year over year, it can make a significant dent in the P/E ratio over time and likely drive the share price. The more predictable the business, the better as well. Many of the companies I will list have anticipated EPS growth greater than 20%, so I feel like there's a margin of safety built in so long as the current P/E isn't too high. The bonus with these stocks is the corresponding dividend appreciation- the long term investor gets the best of both worlds. Here are a few potentials that I think could be buys based on the most current data.

Consumer Discretionary:

LOW
TGT
BBY
JOUT
THO

Johnson outdoors (JOUT) and Thor Industries (THO) are definitely the out of the ordinary picks here. Never have I considered buying an RV stock- but I actually think this pick may have some legs. THO is trading at 13x forward earnings, and the RV market is currently going through a huge boom of first time millenial buyers, and people who just don't want to be near others at the moment. A "work from RV" crowd is also a possibility in the future as remote jobs also have gained credibility during the pandemic, and the housing market has become extremely expensive. The article below references a new airstream model designed with office space in mind- seems like it would be fun to just roam around the national parks and work from Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, etc. If the RV market expands drastically over the next few years, Thor stands to gain heavily from that surge. Competitor Winnebago has a two year waiting list for their RVs, definitely a good sign for thor as well.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/joshmax...h=32ae97d62440

The other play is Johnson Outdoors. Trading at 16.4x forward earnings, they've managed to grow EPS a whopping 40% year over year for the past 5 years. Their dividend appreciation has also been substantial- 14.5% average year over year for the past 5 years. EPS Growth projections are a bit smaller- a conservative 14% for the next 5 years. They also have 0 debt. I think we will see strong consumer demand for their diverse range of camping and outdoors products for the coming years-people will be wanting to get outdoors more after being cooped up inside from pandemic for a whole year. This past summer local retailers around me were sold out of canoes and kayaks all summer long due to high demand. With so many Americans having built up so much savings over the course of the pandemic, it seems likely that a new canoe, kayak, camping setup, or RV could be on people's shopping lists for the coming few years. I will likely dip my toes in on both of these companies in the coming week. Thor has their quarterly earnings on the 8th- and while most analysts have actually predicted underperform (I have no idea why, RVs and trailers have been selling like hot cakes this year by all accounts I've seen), I think the stock could break out if they beat. I like BBY and LOW more than TGT at the current pricing, but all are probably relatively safe choices.

Healthcare:
Anthem
Humana
United
Eli Lily

Not sure why the insurance industry has lower multiples than the pharma and med device sectors, but anthem, humana, and united have been dominating the past few years as the insurance sector has consolidated heavily. All of them also have really solid growth prospects in the coming 5 years as well- on average 10-20% projected YoY EPS growth as they increase pricing and gain more customers. I like anthem and humana more than united at current pricing. Lily is pretty fully priced at the moment, but I still like it in the long run and don't think its the worst buy especially considering where we're trading at today.

Anyway, would love any feedback or thoughts on some of these. Also, has anyone ever considered YETI? I am a fan of their mugs but those coolers are pretty expensive. Their stock could be an interesting play on the "outdoors" investing motif I mention above.
Nice writeup. What are your thoughts on BBY? I have been thinking of adding after they sold off recently after they crushed earnings but their call lacked Q4 guidance. $105 appears to be a good entry point.
Old 6 December 2020, 12:23 AM   #5668
chadwick4eva
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Nice writeup. What are your thoughts on BBY? I have been thinking of adding after they sold off recently after they crushed earnings but their call lacked Q4 guidance. $105 appears to be a good entry point.
Big box retailers were something that I thought could get swallowed whole by ecommerce- but I think that both of these companies have adapted very well to needed changes. I bought both off of their recent bounces- both instances were an overreaction to fine earnings imo. I think there's a world where both Lowe's and Home Depot can succeed, while others may believe there can only be one winner. One thing is certain- Home Depot may have more brand recognition because they've been around longer, but Lowe's has the higher growth potential. The fact that each store is essentially a warehouse and a retail store- with delivery and pickup services available online means they really cover the full spectrum of retail services that people want. One could argue that their overhead is far greater because of the in-person stores and having to staff that operation, but I think the companies know how to manage staffing really well and they choose locations with low tax footprints.

Other news like this makes me think best buy is very safe for the long term-->

https://www.pcgamer.com/news/live/wh...graphics-card/

Nvidia tried to do DTC for the release of their new 3000 series, but their website had a huge meltdown from the demand and the whole thing was a PR fiasco. People like to call these releases "paper releases" because the product sells out instantly and there aren't nearly enough to keep up with demand. Nvidia, recognizing maybe they aren't so great at the whole ecommerce DTC model, have deferred the responsibility and recognized that best buy has the best infrastructure to handle sales of their product (at least here in the US), both online and in person. Polling of US and Canada retailers has hinted that 3060ti is expected to sell out opening day when it hits shelves, even though it sounds like they're doing a much better job stocking this time. I still have not been able to get a 3080 or 3090 at retail... Harder than SS Daytona I guess...

The other thing that helps me sleep at night is that Bill Ackman, who manages the multi billion dollar Berkshire-Hathaway-esque Pershing Square Holdings, is long on Lowe's- his firm owns a 2 billion dollar stake in the company and it's their largest holding. I do like Mr. Ackman, although he's a somewhat controversial figure whose made bold bets against Herbalife and had some friction with Carl Icahn in the past- his core principles of long term investing are sound and I think he makes the right calls more than he makes the wrong ones- otherwise he probably would not be in the business that he's in!

This website I found recently is a great resource that shows portfolio allocations and recent portfolio changes made by some of the biggest funds in the world- including the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, Howard Marks' Oaktree Capital equities fund, Mr. Ackman's Pershing Square Holdings, and others. Nice to see some meta analysis and top down data of where "smart money," or maybe really just "big money," puts bets on. To my surprise, many of these funds don't have a single stake in many companies of the S&P 500- this really pushes me to avoid index funds and do my own research instead.

https://www.dataroma.com/m/home.php
Old 6 December 2020, 02:37 AM   #5669
chadwick4eva
"TRF" Member

Did some more research on Johnson Outdoors (JOUT) and Thor Industries (THO) product offerings. Very impressed with consumer sentiment for all the product offerings of the portfolio companies that Johnson offers- products like minn kota motors, old town canoes, and jetboil camp stoves all have high consumer sentiment. I don't have much exposure to small caps, but this is one that I think I can get behind. No debt on the balance sheet is great.

Thor is trickier- while I love the iconic design of airstream, the majority of the rest of their portfolio RV brands are full of product with tired and ugly designs (they all look the same...), and low quality offerings. If anything, this seems like the company that stands the greatest chance of being disrupted by better looking and more utilitarian towables and small camper vans. The fact that management hasn't read the trends of what millenials want over the past few years- downsized high quality offerings instead of large low quality offerings, is a bad sign and gets a pass from me.
Old 6 December 2020, 02:53 AM   #5670
scarlet knight
"TRF" Member

Watch: Good ones
Do you like Winnebago or Camping world?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadwick4eva View Post
Did some more research on Johnson Outdoors (JOUT) and Thor Industries (THO) product offerings. Very impressed with consumer sentiment for all the product offerings of the portfolio companies that Johnson offers- products like minn kota motors, old town canoes, and jetboil camp stoves all have high consumer sentiment. I don't have much exposure to small caps, but this is one that I think I can get behind. No debt on the balance sheet is great.

Thor is trickier- while I love the iconic design of airstream, the majority of the rest of their portfolio RV brands are full of product with tired and ugly designs (they all look the same...), and low quality offerings. If anything, this seems like the company that stands the greatest chance of being disrupted by better looking and more utilitarian towables and small camper vans. The fact that management hasn't read the trends of what millenials want over the past few years- downsized high quality offerings instead of large low quality offerings, is a bad sign and gets a pass from me.
Do they have better offerings?
scarlet knight is offline   Reply With Quote