The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 14 November 2020, 02:45 AM   #1
Rmatlanta
"TRF" Member

5711 and Hulk

Anybody own these two? Thinking of adding the Hulk. Which do you wind up wearing more? When do you wear them? Thanks all.
Rmatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 03:26 AM   #2
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmatlanta View Post
Anybody own these two? Thinking of adding the Hulk. Which do you wind up wearing more? When do you wear them? Thanks all.
while i don’t own either of those 2. i’d go with 5711. hype aside, i can’t stand the green color at all. as far as wearability from what i understand the Rolex would probably be for more active life and more durable then the Patek but I think Patek watches are far superior than any Rolex.
Old 14 November 2020, 03:50 AM   #3
scurfa
"TRF" Member

I never liked the hulk also but I did have the 5711 and the black dial ceramic sub at the same time, the sub is far more wearable as it takes far more knocks and never loses a beat, the 5711 didn’t like every day wear and wanted to go home to Patek as much as possible.
Old 14 November 2020, 03:51 AM   #4
SpaceDweller77
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex/Patek
My current two daily’s are a 5711 and a SD43(the SD43 is slightly big than a Hulk). I find they are both excellent watches for daily wear, both can do it all, however if I am doing something slightly more active/outdoorsy I lean towards the SD43, if I am doing something a bit dressier or refined the 5711 usually gets the call. It’s personal preference, but both are very versatile watches.
SpaceDweller77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 04:08 AM   #5
Mbbgysam
2024 Pledge Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceDweller77 View Post
My current two daily’s are a 5711 and a SD43(the SD43 is slightly big than a Hulk). I find they are both excellent watches for daily wear, both can do it all, however if I am doing something slightly more active/outdoorsy I lean towards the SD43, if I am doing something something a bit dressier or refined the 5711 usually gets the call. It’s personal preference, but both are very versatile watches.
+1

I have a white 5711 and Hulk, and agree with the active vs. dressy delineation. I'm not a very dressy person so the Hulk (and other watches) get more wrist time than the 5711, especially these days!
Mbbgysam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 04:27 AM   #6
Vetracer
"TRF" Member

Watch: Daytona 116500LN
I bought the 116610LV in 2014 and have worn it more than my 5711. It’s arguably more robust and I’ve always deemed it quite special due to that green sunburst dial.

You can’t begin to compare these watches but they complement each other perfectly.
Vetracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 04:52 AM   #7
ts3
"TRF" Member

Never liked the Hulk as I don't care for its green dial. A green bezel is enough... If I added a Submariner I'd use it on days when I'd quickly beat up the 5711, like when working on the bike or car, checking an aircraft to go flying, doing all sorts of sports. At this point my IWC Mark XV remains on beater duty and gets more wrist time than my 5711.
ts3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 07:23 AM   #8
jerryguo
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, PP, Lange
Quote:
Originally Posted by scurfa View Post
I never liked the hulk also but I did have the 5711 and the black dial ceramic sub at the same time, the sub is far more wearable as it takes far more knocks and never loses a beat, the 5711 didn’t like every day wear and wanted to go home to Patek as much as possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jerryguo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 08:13 AM   #9
JR16
2024 Pledge Member

I owned “hulk” and 5712– never really wore the hulk (I have an LN) so moved it. Couldn’t imagine ever selling my 5712.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
JR16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 08:29 AM   #10
MoosicPa
"TRF" Member

Watch: King Midas & Subma
I own both and will say I wear the 5711 more as I only wear the Hulk once a year on St. Patrick's Day.

"Nothing is to too beautiful, nothing is too expensive" Ettore Bugatti.
MoosicPa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 12:30 PM   #11
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

I have never figured out what is special about the Hulk. It it a Sub with a green dial and bezel, isn't it? I have seen it often enough on display at ADs before the craze and I have never given it a second thought.

Comparing a 5711 and a Hulk is like comparing apples to oranges IMHO. I don't quite understand the craziness with the 5711/1A either with people paying 2-3x retail price for a simple time and date Patek. It is a nice watch, but nothing to pay crazy prices for.

I am sure the responses to this question will be drastically if asked in the main Rolex forum as there are many die-hard Hulk fans there, as there are many die-hard 5711 fans here.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 01:43 PM   #12
okie4455
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek and Casio
I own a 5712 and the hulk. I find that I wear both however the hulk is far more solid feeling, with it being heavier it just feels like it can handle day to day wear. Also the bezel on the nautilus (and aquanaut for that matter) is a scratch magnet. The hulk I wear without any fear of damage, could also be the fact that you can buy 5 hulks for the price of the nautilus.
okie4455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 09:19 PM   #13
Solicitor
"TRF" Member

I have 5711 for 10 years now and still love it.

I've had the Hulk in 3 or 4 (one of which i got from this forum) different occasions and tried to like it but to no avail.

The green dial is phenomenal its the green bezel that killed it for me. Even my daughter who's a DLSUan can't stand that green!

Way back, hulks in this forum are slow moving. I just don't understand why all of a sudden it has become so popular. This is from my experience only.

If I'll go for a sub, I'll get the 5 digits models... never warned up to those thick square lugs.

Sent from my SM-N970F using Tapatalk
Solicitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 09:43 PM   #14
dhermidar
"TRF" Member

I own the Hulk and the 5711, wear the 5711 more, the Hulk sometimes feels too loud, but I love to wear it on summer, it clashes with some colour clothes too, so the 5711 is "easier" to wear, both nice watches to own.
dhermidar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 10:06 PM   #15
Patton250
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: 5205R
The 5711 is the most overrated watch in horological history. It’s at best a 20K watch yet because of its demand Patek raised it to 30K. Unthinkable!!!! Even then due to its mysterious elevation to a status symbol watch it now sells in the grey market for upwards of 70K!!!! So unless you’re lucky enough to find one at retail and still don’t mind paying 10K more than what the thing really should sell for I would stay far and clear from this piece. The Hulk on the other hand will be coming down in price in 6 months or so along with every other difficult to get Rolex. So just wait some time and grab that. It’s beautiful especially if you like green.

Pride goes before destruction, and haughtiness before a fall.

Often times unbelief is disguised as wisdom

Instagram - patton250
Patton250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14 November 2020, 11:12 PM   #16
fsprow
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 5168, 5170P
5711 is a great Genta design that never gets old. Extremely comfortable to wear. Mine has done it all - swimming, rock climbing, golf, various sports - and never missed a beat. In my personal view the Hulk is an ugly green Sub and I am a big Rolex fan.

Regarding prices, the market sets the price - for these watches the reseller market. Whether I wish to pay the price offered is up to me. I don't bemoan folks that paid over a million $US for the Paul Newman Daytona - just not worth it to me.
fsprow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2020, 12:05 AM   #17
jrs146
"TRF" Member

Watch: Me Nae Nae
Can’t go wrong with either. Aside from the drastic price difference, they wear different also. The 5711 is thinner and will feel smaller
On the wrist. The sub sill feel a little bigger and thicker. I think the 5711 is a little more versatile and the sub is more robust. Although it’s debatable I wouldn’t take my 5711 swimming while I’d do just about anything with a sub. So really there’s more differences than similarities. I’d start with those and see where you land.

Old 15 November 2020, 01:14 AM   #18
RoscoPico
"TRF" Member

Watch: ingMe,WatchingYou.
Quote:
owned the hulk a short while and didn't love the color, at least on my wrist.
actually took owning a batman as well to accept that i lean towards a more conservative look.

however, have tried on a 5711, and although i love the look, the size was an issue for me.

all in all two very different watches. the hulk more for wear and tear, the 5711 is a much finer timepiece
RoscoPico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2020, 02:58 AM   #19
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs146 View Post
Can’t go wrong with either. Aside from the drastic price difference, they wear different also. The 5711 is thinner and will feel smaller
On the wrist. The sub sill feel a little bigger and thicker. I think the 5711 is a little more versatile and the sub is more robust. Although it’s debatable I wouldn’t take my 5711 swimming while I’d do just about anything with a sub. So really there’s more differences than similarities. I’d start with those and see where you land.

I echo that, I have the 11R and I do look after it when I can, whereas the Sub I use without a thought, both are great pieces for different occasions.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2020, 11:17 AM   #20
Jay (Eire)
2024 Pledge Member

Own both. Hulk gets a lot more wear, but the 5711 is a much better fit and feel on the wrist. The 5711 is also the watch I would choose between the two if dressing up given how svelte it is versus the Hulk.

I’m not much of a fan of modern Rolex Subs, prefer 5-digit. And while I have a Kermit too I prefer to keep it clean and so the Hulk gets the nod more often than not.
Jay (Eire) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2020, 03:38 PM   #21
kzou
"TRF" Member

Own both, neither get much wrist time tbh as I usually wear the Daytona. Having said that, 5711 is a much better fit for me as I've also ways found the hulk to be a bit too large and bulky.
I also do tend to be a bit more careful with the 5711 and don't care a bit what happens to any of my rolexes.
kzou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2020, 04:13 PM   #22
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
I would have a very difficult time finding a reason to wear the hulk if the 5711 was sitting in my watch box. .. as a matter of fact, I am sure that I would shortly sell the hulk to apply the funds to something else.
Old 15 November 2020, 08:37 PM   #23
skati
"TRF" Member

If possible, I want to own both. They are very different watches.
skati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15 November 2020, 11:59 PM   #24
Rmatlanta
"TRF" Member

Thanks everyone. Great comments. I have the 5711 and it’s awesome, but it’s not an any occasion watch. Scratched the bezel on the zipper of my overnight bag and was shocked how easily that happened.
Rmatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16 November 2020, 12:25 AM   #25
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
Quote:
Thanks everyone. Great comments. I have the 5711 and it’s awesome, but it’s not an any occasion watch. Scratched the bezel on the zipper of my overnight bag and was shocked how easily that happened.
In my experience, it was just a matter of accepting that it will get scratched, that is the path to ultimate enjoyment. There have been a few who wore the 5711 as a daily, my self included as well as my dr who owned the original from 1976 (passed down from his father worn everyday)
it is certainly up for the challenge.
Old 16 November 2020, 12:39 AM   #26
benlee
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex, AP, PP
Quote:
Hulk being a Rolex is more robust so more suitable for daily wearing but it really depends how you wear your watch and what kind of environment it is being worn. That said, I won't personally put a 5711 and a Hulk as equivalent.
Old 17 November 2020, 07:10 AM   #27
MrGrayD
"TRF" Member

I have both, Hulk & (Blue) 5711 - wear the 5711 far more often - hulk sees very little wrist time now, but I do enjoy it regardless
MrGrayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2020, 09:07 AM   #28
red1108nyc
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: Rolex
Quote:
Holy cow... so it happened to you too?!!! I guess I am not he only one!!!
red1108nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17 November 2020, 09:13 AM   #29
azizu
"TRF" Member

Watch: Patek 3700/11AJ
i have 2 rolexes (datejust and batman) and 3 pateks (5146, 5170 and 5712).
i wear all my Pateks and non of my Rolexes.
watches that are hand made, hand finished have soul....thats all i can say
Old 18 November 2020, 11:35 AM   #30
swink6112
"TRF" Member

Watch: Casio Robot Watch
My two cents. I'd pick the black sub over hulk any day. More versatile and better compliments the 5711.
swink6112 is offline   Reply With Quote