The Rolex Forums   The Rolex Watch

ROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEXROLEX

Go Back   Rolex Forums - Rolex Watch Forum > Other (non-Rolex) Watch Topics > Patek Philippe Discussion Forum

Old 29 November 2020, 01:06 AM   #1
gary3535
Banned

Icon20 First patek help advice needed please ?

Hi all a little about me first , im 47 years old and have worked buying properties to refurbish and sell on again almost single handly for the past 15 years that said its been more than brilliant and I highly recommend this career !
Having owned just about all the rolex watch range at some point in my life im now in a position for a patek , ive currently got a speedmaster and BLRO Pepsi as there very casual watches and I enjoy wearing them as there not too precious , im looking for a patek something special never to sell on etc resale price not important theres a couple I like , well love actually the first is the world timer New York edition and the other is the ever popular nautilus 5712 moonphase , Is there anything else in the 40mm ish size that I should be considering ?

best regards
gary3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 02:32 AM   #2
AK797
2024 Pledge Member

Watch: ing ships roll in
5712 is nice, maybe in PM it might be possible, otherwise a 5205R is a good choice.
AK797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 04:00 AM   #3
jwill
"TRF" Member

I own several Rolexes like you. When I purchased my first Patek I went with 5167 Aquanaut, wear it and enjoyed it for 3 years. Then I traded that watch and cash towards 5712 and I’m very happy with it.
jwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 04:14 AM   #4
vandyologist
2024 Pledge Member

I think an annual calendar makes a great first Patek. I’d go with the blue 5205g. The dressier watch on the strap would complement your two nicely.
vandyologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 04:48 AM   #5
subtona
"TRF" Member

Watch: APK & sometimes Y
5712 will be very satisfying.
Old 29 November 2020, 05:25 AM   #6
Mr. Miami
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary3535 View Post
Hi all a little about me first , im 47 years old and have worked buying properties to refurbish and sell on again almost single handly for the past 15 years that said its been more than brilliant and I highly recommend this career !
Having owned just about all the rolex watch range at some point in my life im now in a position for a patek , ive currently got a speedmaster and BLRO Pepsi as there very casual watches and I enjoy wearing them as there not too precious , im looking for a patek something special never to sell on etc resale price not important theres a couple I like , well love actually the first is the world timer New York edition and the other is the ever popular nautilus 5712 moonphase , Is there anything else in the 40mm ish size that I should be considering ?

best regards
have you checked out the aquanaut 5167a?
Old 29 November 2020, 06:34 AM   #7
sambb
"TRF" Member

ellipse
sambb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 10:42 AM   #8
jon_jon
"TRF" Member

Quote:

best regards
The WT LE New York edition's pricing is reasonable at the moment and would be a good long-term watch. I assume you live in the UK. Does a NY limited edition watch have special meaning to you or do you like the look of the dial? Either way, it is a collector's watch.
jon_jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29 November 2020, 11:50 PM   #9
gary3535
Banned

Thanks for all your replys and after looking around the market place and prices for certain models im now leaning towards a world timer with a deployment buckle maybe not the New York edition as first thought as I cant justify the price difference , ive a total budget of up to 80k uk pounds without selling the Pepsi or speedy which I wouldn't anyway , im thinking I only need to use half my budget really to get a world timer , the problem now is do I go new or used ? Im OCD when it comes to watches , so unless the used watch is absolutely pristine its a non starter , Im from Leeds westyorkshire and Berrys is my AD for Patek can I ask you guys whats the way to go about buying new also can you ask for discount etc on a watch thats in the window or is that a NO NO ?
How would you go about this ?

many thanks
gary3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 02:46 AM   #10
pb2au
"TRF" Member

Watch: Depends on day
I picked up a 5960 1A this year. It’s 40 mm and I love it. It’s become my daily.

It’s very robust for a Patek. Much more so than my 5980 or AP ROC which I only wear sparingly now that I am not going into the office daily.

Sounds like you are looking for more of a dress piece and would likely prefer something new. The 5960 in white gold or platinum are both very nice and can be had from an AD if you are looking I suspect.

Best of luck with your search.

Show us pics when you land on something.
pb2au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:17 AM   #11
JorgeCCW
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex,Patek and AP
World timer is a patek Phillipe classic, doesn’t necessarily has to be the limited edition but yeah it’s a nice thing.

I always felt that Nautilus/aquanaut are watches that patek were force to put in their catalog to keep up with real sport watches. They really don’t represent the roots of the brand. That being said, they are cool watches and scratch magnets as well. But man with the current hype and prices they can’t be ignored.

There are others in the middle of the road, the misunderstood ones, like 5960/1a and 5524. Those being outliers had been hated for some time. They are picking up a little though

Tried them all on , and enjoy the hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Nothing happens until something moves "
Albert Einstein
JorgeCCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 06:31 AM   #12
RussW
"TRF" Member

Watch: 5990
Quote:
Thanks for all your replys and after looking around the market place and prices for certain models im now leaning towards a world timer with a deployment buckle maybe not the New York edition as first thought as I cant justify the price difference , ive a total budget of up to 80k uk pounds without selling the Pepsi or speedy which I wouldn't anyway , im thinking I only need to use half my budget really to get a world timer , the problem now is do I go new or used ? Im OCD when it comes to watches , so unless the used watch is absolutely pristine its a non starter , Im from Leeds westyorkshire and Berrys is my AD for Patek can I ask you guys whats the way to go about buying new also can you ask for discount etc on a watch thats in the window or is that a NO NO ?
How would you go about this ?

many thanks
Good to see a fellow Yorkshireman on here.

Berrys in Leeds are my AD and I’ve always found them excellent to deal with, having bought a 5980, 5524 and 5990 from them. Times are tough now though for Patek newbies, but in my experience you will get fair treatment from them. You may also want to have a chat with their York boutique.

Back to your question. I don’t think you will get a 5712 from them anytime soon, sorry it’s just the way it is right now.

I’d have a look at the 5524, and if you like that then that is going to be easier.
RussW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 11:41 AM   #13
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussW View Post
Good to see a fellow Yorkshireman on here.

Berrys in Leeds are my AD and I’ve always found them excellent to deal with, having bought a 5980, 5524 and 5990 from them. Times are tough now though for Patek newbies, but in my experience you will get fair treatment from them. You may also want to have a chat with their York boutique.

Back to your question. I don’t think you will get a 5712 from them anytime soon, sorry it’s just the way it is right now.

I’d have a look at the 5524, and if you like that then that is going to be easier.
Berrys are great.
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30 November 2020, 10:20 PM   #14
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

with your budget you could jump right into the grand complication models. having bought a 5146 and 5396 in the past couple years, I failed to get any discount on both of them, one from WoS and the other from Pragnell. Ask your AD in Leeds and see if they are more helpful in that department. If not you could always go grey for a healthy 10% discount for a brand new one.
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 04:55 AM   #15
0xalate
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5167
I think the world timers make good first Pateks. Aside from that, one of the annual calendars like the 5205G is a great pick too.
0xalate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 05:38 AM   #16
Sinanamus
"TRF" Member

Watch: 214270
I would avoid the 5712 for reasons Jorge mentioned - scratch magnet, and all hype. It's not so sporty compared to a rolex, a bit delicate.

I would do an AC as I find it the most useful complication. WT is perfect if you travel a lot or just prefer it. Either way, I'd go 5205 or 5146, or a world time over the 5712 any day. And save a bunch money with that choice as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Sinanamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 02:08 PM   #17
jamestucker
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke@TRF View Post
with your budget you could jump right into the grand complication models. having bought a 5146 and 5396 in the past couple years, I failed to get any discount on both of them, one from WoS and the other from Pragnell. Ask your AD in Leeds and see if they are more helpful in that department. If not you could always go grey for a healthy 10% discount for a brand new one.
It is easy to get a discount for 5146 and 5396 from many retailers. WoS is an awful retailer
jamestucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1 December 2020, 10:25 PM   #18
Luke@TRF
"TRF" Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamestucker View Post
It is easy to get a discount for 5146 and 5396 from many retailers. WoS is an awful retailer
I figured, unfortunately I do not have many choices with the retailers in London as they are all more or less the same the way they sell their watches.

I could foresee myself buying another piece of PP/Lange, any recommendation as where to get some good deals?
Luke@TRF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 02:02 AM   #19
Just0neMore
"TRF" Member

Watch: Rolex 1016
This is one of my favorites (5396r) but it of course depends on your personal style and taste.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 91854658-E3D2-44E9-B4B7-B3810B0D010B.jpeg (101.8 KB, 401 views)
Just0neMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 06:57 AM   #20
Pimpsy
"TRF" Member

Watch: PP 5712/1A
Quote:
Originally Posted by subtona View Post
5712 will be very satisfying.
A 5712 will definitely hit the spot.
Pimpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4 December 2020, 06:13 PM   #21
Argenek5270
Banned

For an obtainable first piece you can’t go wrong with the WT
Argenek5270 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28 December 2020, 12:27 AM   #22
CoreyJv401
"TRF" Member

I just acquired a 3800J in solid gold (96’) and I love it. Highly recommend that, although with being a larger size man I do see myself getting the 5711 in the future
CoreyJv401 is offline   Reply With Quote